Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Your Computer posted:

If you mean the part about the Dark Soul then I'm hoping that's the setup for the next DLC.

Dark Souls III: Uncle Gael's Wacky Adventures

Yeah Uncle Gael's up to something and I suspect it's no good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The next DLC will have you going Londor and confronting the last sister of the Sable Church and also some lore tidbits involving Kathee and the Dark Soul. There will be no further mention of the Deep or anything else you wanted to see expanded upon in the Dark Souls 3 lore.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know what I want after the second DLC?

A spin-off game where you play through Pontiff Sulyvahn's life. Make it a hack-n-slash developed together with PlatinumGames. Metal Gear Revengeance but instead of a cyborg ninja you're the Anti-Pope with your dual blades. :getin:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The next DLC will have you going Londor and confronting the last sister of the Sable Church and also some lore tidbits involving Kathee and the Dark Soul. There will be no further mention of the Deep or anything else you wanted to see expanded upon in the Dark Souls 3 lore.

Well duh. If it wasn't something in DS1 of course it's not going to be in DS3!

Or maybe Tanimura will stage a coup to overthrow Miyazaki and we'll get something cool like a Carthus DLC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wasn't there some concept art posted in here a few months back that was supposed to be for the DLC? I remember there being a rad octopus knight and now I'm sad it wasn't present.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

2 and 3 seem to put more emphasis on ng+, which is where you get to run through the game with whatever weapon you liked.
Although you have to get to Ithyrill to use it you can get the path emote by rushing the dancer. That opens up a few things, mostly chunks in the store if you like grinding.

Low level pvp is way more fun than I expected. Only having the lucerne means I haven to just out play my opponent. And I'm really running circles around these scrubs, I didn't think I was good at this but I might be. Had to burn through some dude's 8 estus :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not really the right place to ask, but gently caress it.. does anyone here know what changed between CE 6.4 and 6.6? I went to update it and for the first time my AV (nod32) is screaming like hell and not letting me install it. Never had a problem with previous versions.

Maybe one of you dirty hackers know something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Wasn't there some concept art posted in here a few months back that was supposed to be for the DLC? I remember there being a rad octopus knight and now I'm sad it wasn't present.

There's also game files for poo poo like the outrider/vordt's armor and yhorm's armor among other things.

Your Computer posted:

Not really the right place to ask, but gently caress it.. does anyone here know what changed between CE 6.4 and 6.6? I went to update it and for the first time my AV (nod32) is screaming like hell and not letting me install it. Never had a problem with previous versions.

No clue but I hate CE 6.whatever and wish I still had the old version I used because this version makes dark souls scream and eat up crazy amounts of memory for some reason.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wait there's lore about the Dark Soul? Say what

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait there's lore about the Dark Soul? Say what

Sort of. After you beat the DLC, if you talk to the Painter Girl she will say new stuff. If you leave and talk to her again after that (I think?) she will say something else;

"...my thanks, Ashen One
I can almost see the flame...
Soon, uncle Gael will bring me the pigment
I wonder if he has found it
The dark soul of man..."

Its implying that the weird guy that shoves you into the DLC is seeking the Dark Soul to give it to the painter. This doesn't really mean much so much as its just From saying "hey remember this important thing yeah we might do something with it!".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 30, 2016

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Where's a good place to get titanite scales? I need a few but so far only the giant crystal lizards seem to drop them and I can't find more of them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty sure the Rot and the Deep are supposed to be manifestations of the same thing, fwiw

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
A lot of this DLC suffers from speedrun-itis. At least in the frozen Great Hollow area, enemies are placed so terribly that it's not worth the hassle to kill them. They also put the two new sorceries in two very easy to run to spots, so I don't know what they're thinking. Put Frozen Weapon and Snap Freeze up in the roots behind one of the Followers, set it next to one of the archers, or on the edge of a root right where an archer can knock you from. Don't just put them next to slow moving and attacking stationery tree enemies that are easy to avoid, or weak enemies that take at most two hits to kill. Give me an incentive to interact with your intentionally trollish enemy placement.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stokes posted:

A lot of this DLC suffers from speedrun-itis. At least in the frozen Great Hollow area, enemies are placed so terribly that it's not worth the hassle to kill them. They also put the two new sorceries in two very easy to run to spots, so I don't know what they're thinking. Put Frozen Weapon and Snap Freeze up in the roots behind one of the Followers, set it next to one of the archers, or on the edge of a root right where an archer can knock you from. Don't just put them next to slow moving and attacking stationery tree enemies that are easy to avoid, or weak enemies that take at most two hits to kill. Give me an incentive to interact with your intentionally trollish enemy placement.

I feel like this is a lot of DS3 in general tbh. If you're not doing the ol' straight sword R1-ing, a lot of places in the game become pretty un-fun. On characters with either slow attacks, no shields or only spells I've resorted to running past almost half of the areas in the game and I never did this in DS1 or 2 (not a fan of running past stuff). Stunlock or get stunlocked, The Game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

I feel like this is a lot of DS3 in general tbh. If you're not doing the ol' straight sword R1-ing, a lot of places in the game become pretty un-fun. On characters with either slow attacks, no shields or only spells I've resorted to running past almost half of the areas in the game and I never did this in DS1 or 2 (not a fan of running past stuff). Stunlock or get stunlocked, The Game.

I've never run into this problem and my first character was an UGS build through and through and this one wields a flame in one hand and a great sword in the other. I just kill everything before it can hit me :shrug: sometimes it's with pyromancies sometimes it's with a sword. It gets tricky when things resist my damage though, but that's why I keep the moonlight great sword as backup.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Ultra Greatswords are great! Have you seen how much damage I can do with Great Chaos Fire Orb while holding one at the same time?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Your Computer posted:

Antivirus programs always balk at CE, because it directly edits memory, which is something normally only malware or viruses do. Ignore the warnings and just install. If they previously didn't set off the alarm bells it means they built in an exception in the virus tables for the old CE versions I guess!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

New Concept Hole posted:

Ultra Greatswords are great! Have you seen how much damage I can do with Great Chaos Fire Orb while holding one at the same time?

This isn't the dumbest thing to say, pyro does combo really well with various weapons because there's so many different useful pyromancies that you can use to compensate for a weapon which isn't such an all rounder. If you're using a weapon that already is fairly good at everything then you don't really need pyromancy in the first place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always play a slow 2hand guy and i didn't run by poo poo. you gotta be good about abusing ai/kiting/pulling etc.

the dlc last boss was cool but i don't think it needed phase 3 (and i actually died cuz i minimized after phase 2 thinking it was over). i didn't realize there was a summon that trivialized the second phase until after i beat the dlc so now it makes sense there's a third phase but still some of us got good and beat all bosses solo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

I blitzed through the DLC witg my pyro and a chaos Astora Greatsword. The charged r2 does awesome counter damage and made Villhelm drat easy.

There's a thread on reddit with all the INT/FTH scaling for regular weapons and there are some amazing weapons for chaos and dark infusions like the Astora GS or the Carthus curved GS (both A/A). So my pyro is more melee oriented and can deal some great damage without needing to worry about resins.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying slow weapons aren't viable in DS3.. just saying that certain areas like the Cleansing Chapel -> Cathedral inside path are incredibly unfun. I also didn't have a good time with the Abyss Watchers since the AI completely ignored the red eyed one and just went ham on me to the point where I didn't have any openings.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it certainly makes some bosses way harder. i was stuck at pontiff until i said gently caress it and equipped the buckler to parry him to death.

i didn't realize how much easier the game is with shields until i saw some stream once. just don't feel right.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it certainly makes some bosses way harder. i was stuck at pontiff until i said gently caress it and equipped the buckler to parry him to death.

i didn't realize how much easier the game is with shields until i saw some stream once. just don't feel right.

Even shields suffer a bit in this game, tbh. There are so many enemies and bosses that have 4, 5 or even 6 hit combos and the only real way to get out of it is to interrupt it. Or they have so little downtime between attacks that the only way you'll reliably do damage without trading is to use a quick weapon. There's a reason DS3 is known for Straight Sword R1 spam :sigh:

Still love the game though, don't get me wrong. These are just things that I feel DS1 and 2 did better.rip poise

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iretep posted:

id argue ng+ in dark souls 2 was basically the gravelord covenant.

what's with ng+ in that one? i really likebds2 but haven't done ng+ in anything but ds3 (and a tougher fume knight gives me nightmares )

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

what's with ng+ in that one? i really likebds2 but haven't done ng+ in anything but ds3 (and a tougher fume knight gives me nightmares )

New enemies spawn, red phantom versions that are a pain in the rear end.

Personally not a fan of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Still love the game though, don't get me wrong. These are just things that I feel DS1 and 2 did better.rip poise

poise was way too strong in 1.

though i do wanna do a smough run in ds3.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Genocyber posted:

Well duh. If it wasn't something in DS1 of course it's not going to be in DS3!

Or maybe Tanimura will stage a coup to overthrow Miyazaki and we'll get something cool like a Carthus DLC.

I hope so DS3 had the same problem as Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Wars: The Force Awakens: "Remember this previous thing? Let me not shut up about how great it was!!!!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

If you mean the part about the Dark Soul then I'm hoping that's the setup for the next DLC.

Dark Souls III: Uncle Gael's Wacky Adventures

Huh? She didn't mention anything about the Dark Soul to me.

e: Just saw Internet Kraken's post, didn't realize you had to leave and go back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait there's an actual thing called the Dark Soul? :psyduck:

I don't really follow lore stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait there's an actual thing called the Dark Soul? :psyduck:

I don't really follow lore stuff.

Yeah, you hear about it in DS1 but only if you go do the Kaathe stuff by beating the Four Kings early

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guillermus posted:

I blitzed through the DLC witg my pyro and a chaos Astora Greatsword. The charged r2 does awesome counter damage and made Villhelm drat easy.

There's a thread on reddit with all the INT/FTH scaling for regular weapons and there are some amazing weapons for chaos and dark infusions like the Astora GS or the Carthus curved GS (both A/A). So my pyro is more melee oriented and can deal some great damage without needing to worry about resins.

got a link to it? i've decided that i do want to play again for the DLC but want a sorcery + weapon build

don't want to use the dark sword though since i had that as an extra weapon last time

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 30, 2016

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I don't really understand how Gael could bring her the Dark Soul though, since it was split up among all of humanity.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Groovelord Neato posted:

poise was way too strong in 1.

though i do wanna do a smough run in ds3.

Poise made sense and was good in ds1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Red Mundus posted:

Where's a good place to get titanite scales? I need a few but so far only the giant crystal lizards seem to drop them and I can't find more of them.

Arch dragon peak. Rock lizards drop it, but gently caress that the place has the ashes to get scales in the store.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I really like the hyper armor system in 3. Making it more of trait of the weapons is cool and makes the weapons have more distinct strengths.
Poise basically doing nothing and heavy armor being bad is unfortunate and I wish that didn't happen.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Arch dragon peak. Rock lizards drop it, but gently caress that the place has the ashes to get scales in the store.

And it was also the best place to farm souls (to buy Chunks and Twinkling/Scales), but maybe someone has discovered a better place by now (perhaps in the DLC)?

I've always farmed by killing the 4 sneeple near the first bonfire.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lakbay posted:

I hope so DS3 had the same problem as Star Trek: Into Darkness and Star Wars: The Force Awakens: "Remember this previous thing? Let me not shut up about how great it was!!!!"

nah.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

For the five minutes I was using it followers jav was underwhelming. Will have to try it more and lament the crushing lack of large titanite.

Also the wiki says it chaos infuses really well. I wonder if lightning works too. Not that my paladin needs another spear to throw.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Computer posted:

And it was also the best place to farm souls (to buy Chunks and Twinkling/Scales), but maybe someone has discovered a better place by now (perhaps in the DLC)?

I've always farmed by killing the 4 sneeple near the first bonfire.

Get Rapport and cast it on the golden winged knights at the top of the Archives. They drop chunks, large shards, and a poo poo ton of souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Same. Invasions are cool and good and fight clubs are bad and lame. I really don't like how they've played down invasions as the series has progressed. In Demon's they had the best reason/reward since you regained humanity by stealing it from players.

Insurrectionist posted:

I never actually parried in DS2, even a single time. Not even failed attempts, just never bothered with it. Parried a fair bit in DS1 including Gwyn and most Black/Silver Knights (granted if you're fine with circle-strafe + backstab that's a way easier approach for them). DS3...not really much outside PvP, and it doesn't land too often for me there either. I tried parrying Pontiff and absolutely can't get the timing down. It looks so easy for speedrunners...

DS2 is really where I learned to parry in the series. Those lion bros gave all kinds of problems in vanilla DS2 until I forced myself to parry and I never looked back.

Of course now I barely ever use a shield so welp.