Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What even is that game

I saw some gameplay and I'm not sure I understood it at all. Is it just a monster catching game but in final fantasy and also also a crossover with a bunch of chibi designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

do me next~!

Good news, we just finished training a rookie into a ranger! You're stuck in permasulk until you unlock new attitudes though. :shrug:

And last but certainly not least, our favorite boy is now complete.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mWDJAmgvI

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also SERGEANT KIRBY SUPERSCARE, SEASON 2

Game versions of me are always so much cooler than I could ever dream to be and it is awesome!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What even is that game

I saw some gameplay and I'm not sure I understood it at all. Is it just a monster catching game but in final fantasy and also also a crossover with a bunch of chibi designs?

It's a Final Fantasy crossover RPG where you catch monsters. However instead of it being like Pokemon the monsters are all things you can equip to give your characters new skills and abilities.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

What even is that game

That's pretty much exactly what is is. It's a turn-based rpg where the story is silly Kingdom Hearts-esque shenanigans where you go and collect monsters and hang out with all the protags from all the FF games. It's imperfect but cute and fun.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Every time I tried to follow a KungFuJesus LP of XIII-2 or Lightning Returns I get lost and turned off by the nonsense story and how it barely gives you any direction

World of Final Fantasy looks super cool though and I would get it if I wasn't drowning in RPGs at the moment

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weeee, I have a working computer again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Every time I tried to follow a KungFuJesus LP of XIII-2 or Lightning Returns I get lost and turned off by the nonsense story and how it barely gives you any direction

World of Final Fantasy looks super cool though and I would get it if I wasn't drowning in RPGs at the moment
The story in Lightning Returns is really fun.

Or rather, there's a lot of fun side stuff that is legitimately funny and charming and shows that whoever was writing the game wasn't taking it all too seriously.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

Titanfall 2 has a better SP than the new doom, even considering the boring 30 minutes of tutorial walk and talk.

I honestly did not like the single player at all in Doom, but the multiplayer was great.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Up is down, also the sky is red.

Wait, where's that meteor coming from?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Healbot posted:

Up is down, also the sky is red.

Wait, where's that meteor coming from?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's noble of you to try and make In Training ' s bad Doom posts look better by comparison but please don't be so shortsighted about it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

found my vita, haven't taken persona 4 golden out of the cartridge slot in about four years

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I honestly did not like the single player at all in Doom, but the multiplayer was great.

Too obvious

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just very nearly beat Death Road to Canada for the first time but made a tactical error right at the end and the entire high-stat well-armed group got devoured just as the siege lifted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

KungFuJesus is not actually a very good LPer unless you're looking for something besides someone making fun of the games.

LPers determine people's views of games more than they realize and part of that is that someone who just wants to make fun of a game tends to miss stuff and do a lovely job showing it off because its' easier to make fun of it. Even for bad games this is true. (And likewise a dedicated LPer who loves a bad game can make it look a lot better than it actually is.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See DSP's constant claims that games he is too stupid to play are broken and made by retards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the best examples I can think if is the Dangan Ronpa LP where the LPer (understandably) had to break each update at a certain point and in doing so created artificial cliffhangers that didn't exist in the game. The end result is days/weeks of speculation and unintended emphasis on certain elements of the game that you wouldn't get playing through the game. It created a pretty significantly different experience from playing the game myself even knowing all the plot points that were coming beforehand. The mere act of where and when you drop a chapter can really significantly impact how someone views a story.

I don't think that means it's a bad LP so much as the act of LPing is transformative. You're getting a curated view of the game through the lens of that specific player and their skills, thoughts and intentions.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Good news, we just finished training a rookie into a ranger! You're stuck in permasulk until you unlock new attitudes though. :shrug:

And last but certainly not least, our favorite boy is now complete.

She's so cute, I love it!

And drat that's an amazing Joseph.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just started playing Oxenfree after getting it in the new Humble Bundle. This game is...not at all what I was expecting. In a really good way. It would be a disservice to the game to go into any more detail, but it's worth checking out.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ImpAtom posted:

One of the best examples I can think if is the Dangan Ronpa LP where the LPer (understandably) had to break each update at a certain point and in doing so created artificial cliffhangers that didn't exist in the game. The end result is days/weeks of speculation and unintended emphasis on certain elements of the game that you wouldn't get playing through the game. It created a pretty significantly different experience from playing the game myself even knowing all the plot points that were coming beforehand. The mere act of where and when you drop a chapter can really significantly impact how someone views a story.

I don't think that means it's a bad LP so much as the act of LPing is transformative. You're getting a curated view of the game through the lens of that specific player and their skills, thoughts and intentions.

I watch LPs far more than I actually play games now, honestly. I don't have the energy or the money to buy and play a lot of games :shrug: It's an interesting medium, especially because what makes a good LP doesn't necessarily make a good game, and vice versa. Some of the transformative effects that you're talking about can be vital in actually making the game entertaining to watch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In the final circle of hell they have all the video games in the world but you're only allowed to watch lps

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Red Bones posted:

I watch LPs far more than I actually play games now, honestly. I don't have the energy or the money to buy and play a lot of games :shrug: It's an interesting medium, especially because what makes a good LP doesn't necessarily make a good game, and vice versa. Some of the transformative effects that you're talking about can be vital in actually making the game entertaining to watch.

I've hit the point where I won't buy a game because I know I'll enjoy watching an LP of it better than I would playing it. Oxenfree for example, or Tales of the Borderlands - they're basically interactive movies, so why not give them a pause button and some reasonably entertaining commentary?

Or something like Dark Souls or Thief or Deus Ex - I'm terrible at skill-based games and don't enjoy stealth sections in the slightest so seeing an LP saves me hours of frustration when I want to experience a game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

In the final circle of hell they have all the video games in the world but you're only allowed to watch lps

That would certainly be mine. I hate watching/reading lp's unless it's TDI's lp of Drakengard.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

That would certainly be mine. I hate watching/reading lp's unless it's TDI's lp of Drakengard.

the let's play of Deadly Premonition is preferable to playing it imo

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

ImpAtom posted:

KungFuJesus is not actually a very good LPer unless you're looking for something besides someone making fun of the games.

LPers determine people's views of games more than they realize and part of that is that someone who just wants to make fun of a game tends to miss stuff and do a lovely job showing it off because its' easier to make fun of it. Even for bad games this is true. (And likewise a dedicated LPer who loves a bad game can make it look a lot better than it actually is.)

This works the other way around as well though. I've watched several let's plays that changed my mind about a game I really didn't like. Either because the LPer did a good job of showing off the game, or because they did a really bad job of making fun of it.

Also, I would never had gotten into the Dark Souls games if I hadn't watched an LP of Demon's Souls. Seeing a skilled player playing the game finally made the gameplay click for me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

the let's play of Deadly Premonition is preferable to playing it imo

An LP is preferable to any terrible game I suppose. That's why I have an LP of The 3rd Birthday in a tab somewhere.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

An LP is preferable to any terrible game I suppose. That's why I have an LP of The 3rd Birthday in a tab somewhere.

Did you just call Deadly Premonition terrible?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Andrast posted:

Did you just call Deadly Premonition terrible?

It is fantastic but not fun to play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Get the gently caress out of this forum if you'd rather watch someone else play a game than play it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Get the gently caress out of this forum if you'd rather watch someone else play a game than play it.
:chillout:

ImpAtom posted:

It's the discussion that the LP subforum shits itself over every few months: What is a good LP?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 30, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ones involving medibot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

I will defend Lightning Returns as a good game, if not necessarily a good Final Fantasy game.

And by good game I mean a game I like.

My man

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Lightning Returns is generally pretty well liked even though the reviews from critics were mediocre (I kinda put that down to it being cool to hate on FFXIII though)

It's a really fun game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/WarrenIsDead/status/792764369398538241

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think Lightning Returns is generally pretty well liked even though the reviews from critics were mediocre (I kinda put that down to it being cool to hate on FFXIII though)

It's a really fun game

By the time LR came out, FF13 series did indeed have quite a bad reputation which probably influenced review scores. I've heard it's a solid 7/10 action RPG but still haven't gotten around to playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know the general conversation has moved on but I am playing Color Splash and not only is it very fun but the music is great and the art style is outstanding. I want a soundtrack so bad.

• Locked thread