Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Again, your race isn't why you're being singled out. It's because you're having a meltdown.

Back to the "angry black man" stereotype that I've repeated said to stop trying to use to dismiss my words that you staunchly refuse to do, but also keep wanting to push the idea that you aren't a racist?

Page 1488!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gfsincere posted:

Back to the "angry black man" stereotype that I've repeated said to stop trying to use to dismiss my words that you staunchly refuse to do, but also keep wanting to push the idea that you aren't a racist?

I congratulate you on sniping the Hitler number page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E Here is relevant viewing while we are in this exciting realm of Proximity to :hitler:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DaveWoo posted:

Just talked to my parents, and this whole FBI thing has caused them to go from being reluctant Hillary supporters to being enthusiastic Hillary supporters.

Anyway, there's my anecdote.

Hillary's turnabout has been to try to use this as a partisan rallying cry, basically, as much as to try to get the original headline off the news. She wants her followers pissed about this.

It's working, I am loving pissed off about this mess.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Endorph posted:

joe walsh is not an active politician

Was he the guy who got cleaned out by Duckworth?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does Arlington, AKA literally Robert E Lee's back yard, count?

Not really because Arlington's placement, while a great "haha gently caress off Confederacy" symbol still isn't a great "haha gently caress off Confederacy, specifically for slavery" symbol.

I mean it's still good but yeah.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Night10194 posted:

Hillary's turnabout has been to try to use this as a partisan rallying cry, basically, as much as to try to get the original headline off the news. She wants her followers pissed about this.

It's working, I am loving pissed off about this mess.

wait

you mean Hillary might have a competent campaign ready to effectively strategize at short notice?

holy poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
My 1488 contribution:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS PAGE ALL NIGHT!

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 31, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

Yeah there's been this weird downplaying of this by the right wing noise machine. I wonder why.

It's because Trump and his surrogates have become too repulsive, obnoxious, and flat-out stupid for even a lot of right-wing media figures to bear anymore. And it's been an unparalleled pleasure to watch this as it happens.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gfsincere posted:

Yes...keep telling the black man that has traveled to 52 countries how he knows nothing about the world and that Obama is the sole arbiter of progress in the world
He's not, he's just the most prominent person to have a realistic view on that.

gfsincere posted:

tell me what I'm incapable of thinking, because Obama is also the sole arbiter of the black experience, and if he says its not that bad, then hey, wtf are Trayvon Martin's and Tamir Rice's and Eric Garner's families complaining about? Things have never been better so they should shut the hell up
That's quite literally the opposite of what I said.

Majorian posted:

Again, your race isn't why you're being singled out. It's because you're having a meltdown.
From what I can tell, that's how gfsincere is all the time.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think what gfsincere is pointing out is that it doesn't matter if a country is better than other countries if it still terrible
It does matter a lot. It tells you about what direction improvement is gonna come from.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I lived in a country where every day I was beaten with a stick I would be pissed off if someone told me I should be happy because other countries beat you with a chain.

A terrible situation is not forgivable because other people are worse.
This is a response to "shut up, stop complaining, things are better than in the [18/19]50s so you have zero reason to complain anymore."
Why respond to something nobody is saying?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't even understand how the emails have anything to do with Clinton's server. How is it even relevant in that case?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Just talked to my parents, and this whole FBI thing has caused them to go from being reluctant Hillary supporters to being enthusiastic Hillary supporters.

Anyway, there's my anecdote.

My anecdote: my republican mom who voted for Bill once but otherwise always supports the GOP, was with Hillary before emails. After she saw it was probably nothing, this email non-scandal pissed her off to the point of trying to convert others to vote for Hillary.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Just had to post to say how happy I am that this particular thread made it to page 1488 before the end of this spooktacular month.

Now I just can't wait for it to be loving over because god damnit I'm going to worry until the moment the Associated Press calls the race for Clinton. Even a 0.0000000001% chance of a Trump win is more than I'm comfortable with. Sorry, I'm a pussy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Tricky D posted:

My two cents regarding nuclear launch chat and having served on a ballistic missile submarine:

Ballistic missile submarines underway operate in a state of very limited communication with the mainland. All messages to and from the boat come directly through the military controlled messaging service. The result is that the crew would not be aware if the order to launch would be retalitory or not.

In addition, when the boat is 'on alert' (ready to launch on command), we continually drill launches. The drill procedure is a potential launch message which the command staff must authenticate without knowing ahead of time whether it is a real launch order or not.

Also, the targeting data for the missiles is pre-loaded and not actually under the control of the crew.

In the event of a legitimate launch command. The crew would respond exactly the same as if it were a drill only once the codes are verified it's launch time and the missiles go off. The whole system is designed to take crew intervention completely out of the equation.

Welp I posted in like the first hundred pages of this thread - or the last 100 pages of the last one - that there was no way Trump would get a nuke off the ground, because someone would intervene.

Color me wrong as gently caress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wait

you mean Hillary might have a competent campaign ready to effectively strategize at short notice?

holy poo poo
In the final analysis, the winner of this campaign will come down to who has the most effective campaign, and that person is Hillary Clinton

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does Arlington, AKA literally Robert E Lee's back yard, count?

I mean, that was a fantastic "gently caress You" but it doesn't exactly bring slavery to mind

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Necc0 posted:

So was this it? Was Comey pulling this stunt finally what blew the crazy-fuse?
Maybe they're FINALLY starting to realize that A) this is only rallying Clinton voters and B) poo poo on Trump & Russia could very easily be leaked,

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

We really need a National Slavery Memorial.

Like come on. That's basic level poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_African_American_History_and_Culture

A national slavery memorial was proposed, but everyone decided to go further and create the museum instead.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Maybe the right wingnuts don't like this because it discredits the narrative that Comey is in the tank for Killary.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

It's because Trump and his surrogates have become too repulsive, obnoxious, and flat-out stupid for even a lot of right-wing media figures to bear anymore. And it's been an unparalleled pleasure to watch this as it happens.
Maybe they're unwilling to take the Iron Ruble - and know Trump has!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cingulate posted:

It does matter a lot. It tells you about what direction improvement is gonna come from.

Future improvement is not very meaningful to people suffering now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

1488 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_African_American_History_and_Culture

A national slavery memorial was proposed, but everyone decided to go further and create the museum instead.

Last weekend I went there figuring "Its a Smithsonian museum, you just show up and go in right?"

I was wrong

tremendously wrong

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I know that you all hate Chait and think that he's some sort of crypto-Republican, but this is a good read nevertheless:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/10/the-gops-age-of-authoritarianism-has-only-just-begun.html

"The political scientists Jonathan Weiler and Marc Hetherington found that, as recently as 1992, the Republican and Democratic parties had an equal proportion of voters with an authoritarian personality. By Obama’s first term, authoritarian personalities identified overwhelmingly with the GOP. In its preference for simplicity over complexity, and its disdain for experts and facts, the party has steadily ratcheted down its standard of intellectually acceptable discourse: from a doddering Ronald Reagan to Dan Quayle to George W. Bush to Sarah Palin. From this standpoint, Trump is less a freakish occurrence than something close to an inevitability.

It is the tantalizing prospect of crippling the welfare state that has lured Republicans into endorsing a president who has threatened to jail his opponent, go after the business interests of news outlets critical of him, and praised dictators in North Korea, Russia, and China for crushing their opposition. They are willing to give Trump control of the military, the Department of Justice, and the domestic-security apparatus as long as Ryan controls the legislative agenda."

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

I congratulate you on sniping the Hitler number page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E Here is relevant viewing while we are in this exciting realm of Proximity to :hitler:

LMFAO what the gently caress did I just watch?

Cingulate posted:

He's not, he's just the most prominent person to have a realistic view on that.

This is a response to "shut up, stop complaining, things are better than in the [18/19]50s so you have zero reason to complain anymore."
Why respond to something nobody is saying?

No, hes the person that has a view that you agree with that you can use against other minorities that dare to complain.

And when you're asking who put forth that argument, it was you.

The call was coming from inside the house.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

Maybe the right wingnuts don't like this because it discredits the narrative that Comey is in the tank for Killary.
They were already weird about him before this because on the one hand they liked when he wagged his finger at Hillary and questioned her judgment, but on the other hand he didn't lock her up so he's not their friend.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fourteen Eighty Chait imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gfsincere posted:

Guess who's back

movie based on German novel about Hitler being ressurected in modern Germany and everyone thinking he is a brilliant satirist and not actually a dangerous fascist

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

skylined! posted:

Welp I posted in like the first hundred pages of this thread - or the last 100 pages of the last one - that there was no way Trump would get a nuke off the ground, because someone would intervene.

Color me wrong as gently caress.

Yeah, the only 2 people that actually have to be there that could stop him would be the dude who actually carries the nuclear football and the general that relays the order.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Last weekend I went there figuring "Its a Smithsonian museum, you just show up and go in right?"

I was wrong

tremendously wrong

lines?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gfsincere posted:

I believe the premise of the program is "Adolf Hitler is found in a stasis pod, revived, and attempts to reintegrate into Modern Germany while being hilarious on account of he's way less scary when he's just some idiot Austrian."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

spacetoaster posted:

That building looks like an upside down ziggurat.

And not in a bad way???

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gfsincere posted:

Yeah, the only 2 people that actually have to be there that could stop him would be the dude who actually carries the nuclear football and the general that relays the order.
Well Alexander Haig was willing to plug Nixon to save America, do we have such patriots in this day and age?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lines that sell out at 5am

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Pakled posted:

I forgot how much that was a thing. Like, can you imagine? Grown adults, who are politically-involved enough to know who Comey even is, and come to the conclusion that he's a secret Hillary operative. 2016, wow.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

the alt-right is skeptical of supporting comey now because once the fbi goes after the trump campaign for colluding with foreign powers influencing the election they'll need to throw him under the bus

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Has this been posted?

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/791370808945889280

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If you're talking about the new African American museum, try "multi-hour long" lines.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

You have to buy tickets for the AfAm Museum WAY the gently caress in advance.

Like, a couple weeks right now.

Black folks are excited to have a museum for ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, like weeks ago. Hillary even referenced in in a debate IIRC.

• Locked thread