Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Potato Salad posted:

Sure, I'll begin with " I don't have a perspective" and "I don't have an argument"

this thread is a hilarious garbage fire, I'm watching people willfully misunderstand each other, nobody is backing off and putting effort into making sure they're being understood, and I'm not inclined in a high velocity thread to get involved in any way deeper than a couple shitposts.

read between lines if you want meaning

fair enough

lozzle posted:

Hot take: I hate racists.

hotter take: what someone considers a racist varies from person to person

AriadneThread posted:

i don't think it takes hate to not be concerned about the potential backlash two people might face for engaging in racist actions
given the internet is as it is, i'd be surprised if they faced any appreciable backlash at all honestly, i mean, on principle i wouldn't condone someone screwing up their lives but i'm not going to lose any sleep either if people that do terrible things have a terrible time

no, just to post in the way he seems to have a habit of doing... I don't think you have an unreasonable perspective here

gfsincere posted:

How in the gently caress is saying "I don't want employees that will dehumanize other employees and be racist to them" hateful? How is "I want people who do hateful and racist poo poo to be crushed under the weight of being publicly shamed for their blatant disrespect towards the humanity of others" hateful?

Better yet, why are my posts hateful but their mocking of another race that's been stripped of drat near everything not hateful?

You have a WHOLE lot of implicit racial bias to unpack and to be quite frank I don't have the time or the disposition to do it.

you're charged, you're heated, you're angry. you know this and I know this. I never said mocking another race isn't hateful, although it might not be motivated by hate, just by bad opinions. you don't know a thing about me?

Potato Salad posted:

wait are you talking about my thoughts on the Good Muslim, Bad Muslim podcast or this thread?

If this thread: it has a lot of people who just want to be right about everything. It used to be very libertarian for that reason a long time ago ,and I think the same issue hangs around today. Spite is certainly a characterizing word among other things.

If my thoughts about the podcast or me or something: :staredog: whatchu talking about? I don't even think I'm involved in this discussion, wasn't this between gifsincere and .....some guy? about the indian girl costume picture?

yeah, thanks for checking - I was referring to the thread as a whole. I didn't listen to the podcast nor do I really know anything about you so I didn't mean it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Squeegy posted:

Mittens is just like you and me, except awful

And a lot less soaked with alcohol.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gfsincere posted:

Nope, this country has spent entirely too loving long being concerned with the well being of unabashed racists to the detriment of everyone else. gently caress em all.

Potato Salad posted:

I can actually agree with this.

Ruggan posted:

Idk, it's such heated language. It's charged with hate. I am trying to understand your point of view and correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be projecting hate that you feel has been directed towards you. I don't hate you and I don't believe you should be disrespected or mistreated for whatever you are in real life.

I'm just saying I can't really stand by your arguments because they seem to come from a hateful place. I don't think that's a good or healthy perspective to hold or agree with or stand by. I'm sure you're going to jump on this and explain why I'm wrong but I'd honestly like to hear it.

OOooooohhh it was the "gently caress em all" part.

I don't usually prune quotes. No, gently caress 'em all is a bad outlook. Better to think of how to convert present better opportunities for a better life to people or at least their children and bring them onboard with the modern world

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ruggan posted:

And is correlated by melanin content.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ruggan posted:

Personally I'm not terribly concerned with what racists think is and is not racist.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

computer parts posted:

Why do sa posters always put comments like this in edgewise?
Why can't they say what they mean directly, uncoded?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

gfsincere posted:

"I care about progress. But also, I don't care about tone policing and how it can affect minorities in discussions."

Which one is it?

Either you're a idiot liar or you're a racist Bernout that believes race issues are a "distraction" from the "real issues".
I looked up tone policing and apparently it's what you did to me. I agree it's bad.

Notice that strawman you made about me being a Bernout? You make those in every post. That's not "tone" it's dishonest bullshit. You make poo poo up constantly and when people dismiss it you say it's because they marginalize minority opinions.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ruggan posted:

Idk, it's such heated language. It's charged with hate. I am trying to understand your point of view and correct me if I'm wrong but you seem to be projecting hate that you feel has been directed towards you. I don't hate you and I don't believe you should be disrespected or mistreated for whatever you are in real life.

I'm just saying I can't really stand by your arguments because they seem to come from a hateful place. I don't think that's a good or healthy perspective to hold or agree with or stand by. I'm sure you're going to jump on this and explain why I'm wrong but I'd honestly like to hear it.
Los Ruggles, lemme tell ya, his recent posts don't come across as hateful to me. Mocking, derisive, and annoyed, sure, but not hateful.

Tom Guycot posted:

I just watched that documentary about Mittens, and jesus christ, I never thought I would look back with fondness at that rear end in a top hat, but after Trump...
I don't like Trump because of all the racists and shitbirds he's brought out of the woodwork, but I like that he did because a whole lotta white people really truly thought the US was post-racial and post-bigotry. I mean, other people did too, I guess, but mostly it's been white people that I've heard saying "How can people still support Trump he's so racist/sexist."

Please note it was his sexism that really lost him his support.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ruggan posted:

you're charged, you're heated, you're angry. you know this and I know this. I never said mocking another race isn't hateful, although it might not be motivated by hate, just by bad opinions. you don't know a thing about me?

a guy who has like 50% chance of getting straight murdered by the police for the crime of existing is passionate about racial issues whoa

you might say he's an angry black man??????????

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

lozzle posted:

Personally I'm not terribly concerned with what racists think is and is not racist.

But *everyone* is racist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Potato Salad posted:

Why do sa posters always put comments like this in edgewise?
Why can't they say what they mean directly, uncoded?

ok

computer parts posted:

some angry white dudes ITT

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

computer parts posted:

I try to only define racism by type of action not based on source or target. Is that reasonable or am I being too logically consistent or too ignorant of the general state of our world? Honest question. I can see some people saying it's unreasonable for reasonable reasons.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1stGear posted:

a guy who has like 50% chance of getting straight murdered by the police for the crime of existing is passionate about racial issues whoa
This statistic seems off

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lozzle posted:

The more thoroughly you can understand what makes someone tick, the better you can help that person and the sooner you can truly create a lasting change, at least where you live

This will be important if / when you become interested in getting involved in local politics. As Barney the Purple Dinosaur it sounds, understanding is square one to fixing society's ills.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Potato Salad posted:

You have obliquely dropped that :ducksiren: you are an important manager :ducksiren: in real life

go ahead tell us your story with some racist gently caress

LIke actually do it, telling personal stories gets threads back on track and gets conversations going in good ways.

I mean there was the guy when I was a sysadmin that was shocked that I would know what Linux is. Mind you, just got hired as a senior Linux sysadmin, that's pretty much what everyone in that division is, I literally introduced myself as "Hey I'm Greg, your new senior Linux sysadmin" (he was a junior admin)

The conversation went:
3rd guy: hey so what are you gonna run?
Me: idk, been running Fedora at home, so maybe that.
Racist doofus: oh, that's surprising.
Me: what is?
RD: that you run linux
Me: :confused: I'm...a senior Linux admin. Why wouldn't I?
RD: no no, I just thought black people didn't know what Linux was. Never met a black guy that ran it.

3rd guy:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ruggan posted:

I try to only define racism by type of action not based on source or target.

Yeah, I think cracker is a terrible slur too.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

Los Ruggles, lemme tell ya, his recent posts don't come across as hateful to me. Mocking, derisive, and annoyed, sure, but not hateful.

I don't like Trump because of all the racists and shitbirds he's brought out of the woodwork, but I like that he did because a whole lotta white people really truly thought the US was post-racial and post-bigotry. I mean, other people did too, I guess, but mostly it's been white people that I've heard saying "How can people still support Trump he's so racist/sexist."

This is why I'm not so mad about the alt-right becoming more prominent in mainstream politics. They're awful, but their awfulness is so open and indefensible that there's no way for people to hide the racism behind plausible deniability anymore. That's way less harmful than Reagan-style dogwhistle racism.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I think cracker is a terrible slur too.

lmao good one

no, but really... I didn't say anything about impact or severity, just definition. that's what i'm asking about

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Guys, can we get back to talking about the upcoming glorious revolution led by our dear leader Donald J. Trump?

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/792926077618417664

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

This is why I'm not so mad about the alt-right becoming more prominent in mainstream politics. They're awful, but their awfulness is so open and indefensible that there's no way for people to hide the racism behind plausible deniability anymore. That's way less harmful than Reagan-style dogwhistle racism.

Eh. I genuinely worry that it will make people blind to dogwhistle racism becasue "it isn't obvious!" I mean that happens already but we'll see. Too many people go "I can't be racist, I'm not a Klansman!"

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ruggan posted:

I try to only define racism by type of action not based on source or target. Is that reasonable or am I being too logically consistent or too ignorant of the general state of our world? Honest question. I can see some people saying it's unreasonable for reasonable reasons.
Racism is not about actions at all it's about a state of mind. What makes an action racist is only one of two things, hate of, or ignorant generalization about a group of people.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm glad Trump is dragging the GOP into the sunlight while driving a bowie knife through its heart, but back in 2012 it was hard to see how I could find a republican candidate more personally repugnant than that poo poo bomber. 2016 showed me I ain't seen nothing yet.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Mercrom posted:

Racism is not about actions at all it's about a state of mind. What makes an action racist is only one of two things, hate of, or ignorant generalization about a group of people.

But there's a lot of things that people would call racist that fall outside of those two categories. Are those racist? Comedians making jokes in bad taste for example?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kro-Bar posted:

Guys, can we get back to talking about the upcoming glorious revolution led by our dear leader Donald J. Trump?

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/792926077618417664

that looks like an in memoriam picture... for yesterday

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm glad Trump is dragging the GOP into the sunlight while driving a bowie knife through its heart, but back in 2012 it was hard to see how I could find a republican candidate more personally repugnant than that poo poo bomber. 2016 showed me I ain't seen nothing yet.

What worries me most is how this may all strengthen white supremacist movements, particularly "militia" groups. It's been great watching the GOP destroy themselves, but there are a lot of folks who are probably going to get hurt or killed because of all of this.:(

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I genuinely worry that it will make people blind to dogwhistle racism becasue "it isn't obvious!" I mean that happens already but we'll see. Too many people go "I can't be racist, I'm not a Klansman!"

That's already been happening for decades though, ever since the Southern Strategy. It's pretty clear that institutional white supremacy will never die until the US is majority-minority, so I'm perfectly fine with the racism being out and obvious until we inevitably reach that point.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Ruggan posted:

But there's a lot of things that people would call racist that fall outside of those two categories. Are those racist? Comedians making jokes in bad taste for example?
You can argue some are made out of spite. However some comedians find the humor in the very fact that it is offensive, which means the acknowledge the wrongness of it. You never know and the only thing that matters anyway is how the audience reacts.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ruggan posted:

that looks like an in memoriam picture... for yesterday

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

Okay, gently caress this, I tried being nice but you've already been told to stop ascribing anger to people
In race discussions because you come off like a massive tool and you continue to do it.

NO ONE IS MAD, STOP TELLING PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BE ON THE RECEIVING PART OF RACISM THEY ARE MAD WHEN THEY DISCUSS IT YOU TWIT.

You're not that goddamn important for you to think my mood revolves around words posted on a goddamn forum. I'm black, I got way more other poo poo that makes me angry, and you're not even moving the fuckin needle. You aren't the center of the universe and you have a lot less power than you think you do.

What you are however, is a person who really needs to shut up and listen to people about race because you're clearly talking out of your rear end. You have no clue about the destructive nature of racism, and since you'll never be on the receiving end of it, you drat sure aren't the arbiter of who is and isn't a racist and what racism looks like. Your opinion on who is a racist or not is worth about as much as a penny with a hole in it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't think this'll actually kill the GOP. I know I'm a minority in that view but I think people severely underestimate how long their base will last.

I don't expect we'll find someone worse than Trump unless David Duke somehow makes it big. Ted Cruz could come back too, I guess. He's pretty loving awful, even if that baby picture of him belies that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ruggan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lozzle posted:

So I get to do a lot of driving around the southeast. I sometimes get loving furious with Trump's supporters and at other times feel a major bummer for their plight. It gets bad, dude. Trump! is a Hail Mary for what is genuinely perceived as the final encroachment of the globe -- cheap dirty labor overseas, rich tinkering bankers in Wall Street and Europe, gun-grabbing New Englanders, on and on -- on not their way of life, but their capacity to live and do so independently. I think a Cracked article was tossed around in here a while ago that did an A- job of describing where Trump supporters, the real ones who are praying tearfully for their families to be safe and for opportunities for Fifty-Five year old Frank the husband / father to get another opportunity that pays over $23k / year before taxes and the slow off season, come from.

We need to elect Clinton then turn right the gently caress around and figure out how to help these people. My heart cannot bear it.

Fake edit - found it, start at 3 if you are impatient http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

Mein point is that we are within 5% popular vote right now of electing Hitler. We need. To fix. The problem. With Trump's supporters. They are real, they are heartbreaking, and it is important to understand their minds.

gfsincere posted:

I mean there was the guy when I was a sysadmin that was shocked that I would know what Linux is. Mind you, just got hired as a senior Linux sysadmin, that's pretty much what everyone in that division is, I literally introduced myself as "Hey I'm Greg, your new senior Linux sysadmin" (he was a junior admin)

The conversation went:
3rd guy: hey so what are you gonna run?
Me: idk, been running Fedora at home, so maybe that.
Racist doofus: oh, that's surprising.
Me: what is?
RD: that you run linux
Me: :confused: I'm...a senior Linux admin. Why wouldn't I?
RD: no no, I just thought black people didn't know what Linux was. Never met a black guy that ran it.

3rd guy:

Racist doofus: "Hey come on, you know perfectly well that I didn't actually mean" -- *falls on rear end outside front door*

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if my state of Maine's polling booths in public areas are going to remain safe on Election Day? I can think of several high-school classmates who could probably shoot down my High School station.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HorseRenoir posted:

Can we just start the new thread a day early, god drat

Sorry, this argument would just carry on into the new one. Only way it dies is for it to die proper. You can't force it. Except by maybe closing USPOL until November 9.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gfsincere posted:

Okay, gently caress this, I tried being nice but you've already been told to stop ascribing anger to people
In race discussions because you come off like a massive tool and you continue to do it.

NO ONE IS MAD, STOP TELLING PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BE ON THE RECEIVING PART OF RACISM THEY ARE MAD WHEN THEY DISCUSS IT YOU TWIT.

You're not that goddamn important for you to think my mood revolves around words posted on a goddamn forum. I'm black, I got way more other poo poo that makes me angry, and you're not even moving the fuckin needle. You aren't the center of the universe and you have a lot less power than you think you do.

What you are however, is a person who really needs to shut up and listen to people about race because you're clearly talking out of your rear end. You have no clue about the destructive nature of racism, and since you'll never be on the receiving end of it, you drat sure aren't the arbiter of who is and isn't a racist and what racism looks like. Your opinion on who is a racist or not is worth about as much as a penny with a hole in it.

I don't remember being told that.

I don't think I have power over you or in general.

I'm not trying to influence your mood or make you upset.

I'm not claiming to be an arbiter of racism.

I don't think my opinions are more than opinions.

I don't believe I know enough, but I do believe I understand that it is destructive.

I'd be happier to listen to your viewpoints if you could try to express them in less angry ways.

edit: sorry, I just reread this and realized you said you weren't upset - I hope that by rereading your post you can understand why that is how it comes across

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't think this'll actually kill the GOP. I know I'm a minority in that view but I think people severely underestimate how long their base will last.

I don't expect we'll find someone worse than Trump unless David Duke somehow makes it big. Ted Cruz could come back too, I guess. He's pretty loving awful, even if that baby picture of him belies that.

Indeed:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good god this thread has dozens of posts every day that are basically "gently caress all Republicans forever" and I'm pretty sure most of those posters aren't quivering in uncontrollable rage as they post it, but switch "Republicans" to "racists" and suddenly we need to reprimand people about how that language isn't productive and to please stop getting so mad

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I wish Trump would grope this thread.

Anecdotal bullshit story for the evening: watched the ballgame with nine 70+ white dudes tonight. Three have switched from being Trump primary voters to voting for Hillary in the general. General reasoning: "guy's a douchebag."

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if my state of Maine's polling booths in public areas are going to remain safe on Election Day? I can think of several high-school classmates who could probably shoot down my High School station.

Was this post meant to be humorous? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Scent of Worf posted:

Was this post meant to be Dead Serious?
Yeah.

• Locked thread