Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Titanfall 2 is pretty fun. My biggest complaint about it is that it's a game based around giant robots where your single player partner is a giant robot and yet giant robots are the least interesting part of the entire experience. Even in the single player campaign the giant robot parts are the worst part. Not even bad just "I wish I was time travelling against instead."

The time travel chapter is legit super cool and I wouldn't hold something being less cool than it against it. Also I need to get out of my habit of holding onto anti-titan weaponry in the campaign because it's not really that useful, it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

Get the gently caress out of this forum if you'd rather watch someone else play a game than play it.

Muthafacka, I love games so much, I play and I watch people play them, now what!?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Wamdoodle posted:

Muthafacka, I love games so much, I play and I watch people play them, now what!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhhmuPKe6w4

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh, so it's kinda like uhh...dying light, but in the future and with mechs? And without zombies?

I'd say it's pretty much dying light + cod lite. It's alot of fun as long as you don't get too into it.

e: new tove lo album. pure guilty pleasure. good weekend. :3:

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 31, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I'm about three hours into Shadow of Mordor and so far every single thing I've done is just repeating the things I did in the first two minutes of the game. The sound, graphics, animation, setting, writing are all pretty good. They've done a good job of creating an impactful setting. But, uh, do you ever do anything different? Combat is simple...the only time I've died is when intentionally loving around. It's neat to slash through three hundred orcs at a time but it's awful repetitive. Does it get...different?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

credburn posted:

I'm about three hours into Shadow of Mordor and so far every single thing I've done is just repeating the things I did in the first two minutes of the game. The sound, graphics, animation, setting, writing are all pretty good. They've done a good job of creating an impactful setting. But, uh, do you ever do anything different? Combat is simple...the only time I've died is when intentionally loving around. It's neat to slash through three hundred orcs at a time but it's awful repetitive. Does it get...different?

You get new powers? But it's still going to be arkham tolkien to the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welcome to AAA open world games.

SoM hides a major gameplay mechanic behind like the first five or so hours of the main story missions but outside of that and unlocking a few new skills that's pretty much it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Do you have any nemeses yet? It can get pretty crazy if you let them get out of hand and don't actively hunt them down.

But yeah, not a lot changes. I accidentally broke my game by not realizing there was a second area and maxed out my character before completing the first area. This made the second area really boring, since there were no longer any rewards at all for doing anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

eu4 is starting to feel like seeing the matrix code instead of cool alt history stories and i think i'm on the edge of burning out. but then in my ireland game i saw flanders et al actually break from burgundy and it was a what oh man moment

also i don't think i really like ironman in eu4 as much as something like xcom. you lose a province, you can get it back. your army is wiped, spend a few years rebuilding. white peace, try again later. nothing feels like permanent, game changing decisions like the results of a botched xcom mission. eu4 ironman is just a slower, bumpier road and kind of a hindrance to why i'm there (i'm there to establish the scottish new world colony of Dagless, where true highlanders can show dignity and courage)

that just means you should play vicky 2

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Well, then I'm probably just going to stop loving with side stuff and get through the story. If I'm just doing story stuff, how long is the game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I didn't finish it.

It's a fun game with some solid gameplay. I'm glad they made it, and I'm glad I played it, but there's not a whole lot there. It's better than like, half of asscreed games, and I wish that asscreed would have stolen poo poo from it like it stole from asscreed.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

oddium posted:

when i do something cool or funny i draw + name my own little achievement and pin it to my eu4 corkboard

Normally I'd be all "achievements lol" but a lot of the EU4 achievements are cool and/or funny. They help out with setting neat little ahistorical goals and are a great way to set the difficulty level too - for example, getting Raja of the Rajput Reich (conquer Germany as Nagaur, a one-province Indian state, based on a "hilarious" joke about flagchat) is a lot harder than something like Switzerlake (own 99 provinces as Switzerland while owning no ports).

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Hi games thread, I am looking for a fun game to play until Pokemons come out. Should I get Shadow of Mordor or Grim Dawn?? I can't decide. Plz help

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I love Grim Dawn. I don't do multiplayer anything, but it's a really solid game. It's ridiculously easy on the default difficulty setting, though, but there is a harder difficulty you can start on (and two harder ones once you beat the game) and modding is pretty easy. It's like a better looking Diablo 3.

Shadow of Mordor is just disappointing me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope Shadow of Mordor 2 is the game they wanted Shadow of Mordor to be, instead of the truncated version we got.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
What's wrong with Shadow of Mordor? I heard it was pretty good and people liked it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really dislike it, it just cribs too much from the Arkham games which I was already starting to get fed up of before Knight sealed the deal, and the nemesis system only really works if you're dying a lot which you won't unless you've never held a controller before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thehoodie posted:

What's wrong with Shadow of Mordor? I heard it was pretty good and people liked it

For one thing, the final mission is loving horrible and the last boss is a QTE battle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno why western devs keep doing that, if you're insistent that you're too cool to put a proper boss battle in just like don't do anything.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I feel like ALL combat in SoM is QTE. Left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, left click -- block indicator: right click -- left click, left click, left click, left click, left click, -- block indicator: right click -- left click, left click, left click, left click.

You can't die in this game. You have about a full second to block when the indicator comes up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kinda feel like you're still playing the babby part of the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe. I haven't done a lot of the story missions. By the way, is it normal for every single one of Sauron's captains to happen to be hanging around the same campfire? I wandered into a group of Orcs and had to wait for ten minutes while they all introduced themselves to me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's not a super hard game but it's not dumb easy either. However, I'd say the major problem with the game is that as you get better at it, it throws less challenge at you instead of more. If you kill a tough orc, it's gone, no more nemesis. If you lose, it gets tougher. They sorta patch that up by allowing you to pump up the orcs to be more difficult but it'd be nice if there was a more organic way to throw increasing challenge at you. I had a good 15-20 hours with the game still.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I disagree. I think the game is dumb dumb easy. The combat requires no strategic thinking. It's all just clicking until you need to block, then you block. The only time I run into trouble is when I think, here's this downed orc I'm going to try to finish him -- but then the block indicator comes up so I just keep doing that.

The only thing I've found difficult are some of the stealth missions. But I mean, you don't die or anything. You just fail the mission and have to redo it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The game is good for setting your own goals and using the varied systems that it offers you in order to have fun. So you can say that you will clear this camp with stealth and the other one with arrows, another one with mind control, another one while riding the wolfthing or using a mix of everything etc. Another layer is loving with the orc hierarchy and setting your own captains. If you go through the entire game choosing to just click through that AssCreed combat then nobody will convince you that it's fun.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You have a point. There IS some more depth to this game than I am giving it credit for. I just wish the game had more contextual reason to vary things up. There's no real punishment for not being stealthy, except you have to kill a bunch more orcs. loving with the hierarchy could be fun, but the orc captain thing replenishes itself, which I was a little saddened by, since I took out all of them and thought I was getting somewhere for it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Only tangentially-related but man do I prefer using a controller for 3rd person action games. I haven't left-click right-clicked my way through a game like that since Oni :nyoron:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

black mirror 2 was p good except for the ending but holy crap is it just impossible for an adventure game to have a not-irritating protagonist??? this one had a Baaaah-stonian 20 year old prick

also my 1060 came in. i tried shadow warrior with it and it didnt go above 43 degrees celcius, holy crap. right now without any games open it's at 30. loving crazy. my 7850 without any activity ran at 60

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:(

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Real hurthling! posted:

how silly we talking

Danish. So about as silly as it gets.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Danish. So about as silly as it gets.

Prune or chocolate?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I remember it being at least possible to die in the early parts of Shadow of Mordor. My biggest problem with it was that as I got more powers I stopped dying altogether and the nemesis system got way less interesting than it was at the beginning.

Sometimes it's worth letting yourself get killed on purpose. It's pretty counter-intuitive but it does make things more fun if you create stronger orcs, even artificially.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Watching people play video games is good

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Nemisis system is really cool... if you ever die. The upgrades that the orcs get slowly reduce their vulnerabilities, so a max level nemesis can be killed literally only one way. So end up with enemies who can be killed only with a drop attack, or only with ranged, or whatever. Which is cool because then you end up actually having to plan their assassination.

But even if you die enough early on to get these super powered orcs, once you wipe them out, it's not like you're going to start dying to less powerful orcs.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

For one thing, the final mission is loving horrible and the last boss is a QTE battle.

Yeah, the last boss and the boss-right-before-the-last-boss were both really disappointing, especially considering the midboss fight was actually pretty cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The fight with The Tower of Sauron had like the inklings of a potentially really cool fight.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope all of you have a safe Halloween and you all stay far aware from any cursed gaming hardware or software.

Now excuse me I have to investigate this copy of Bebe's Kids that mysteriously arrived in the mail Saturday. Huh, over night the letters have changed to spell Dead's Kids. That is strange.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Today's theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGABbeX4cqE

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would argue this is today's theme tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNnkq-vbZuI

e: why do people extend every video game song on youtube to 15/30 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

e: why do people extend every video game song on youtube to 15/30 minutes

So you can play it in the background while you do homework/exercise and stuff. Really, it'd be nice if Youtube just had a looping feature so you could have a song play over and over, but I guess that would require refreshing which would create a pause in the music.

• Locked thread