Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
People tend to call it "chinese food" but its hardly surprising that a country with 1b people, millions of square km and several different climate types from rainforest to tundra has lots of different kitchen styles. So in places where they will expect chinese customers the restaurants will label themselves by their regional cooking style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Ive never been to china but i went to get chinese tonight caus eim alone and lonely and moved into a box room and wanted to try the local cuisine and "splurge". as you see i chose chinese because of this thread. i dont know where the man was from, but after i ordered my chow mein extra spicy i asked What Is Ho Fun, is it like noodles? he just repeated to me every option of Ho Fun while pointing at them on the menu and so I said, yes thank you i can see that, but what is Ho Fun? and he said " it best, you try. better " and i said so its like chow mein and he said "you try, its best, everyone buy it" and left.

I looked it up and it does look better. i wish i asked him first but also that he would have told me what the Ho Fun was. in consequence i had no fun. but it was pretty good chow mein tbf. oh well thanks random man.

also here in the uk there's lots of different places that say szechaun, hong kong something or other, and something about thai. where are these immigrants from i wonder? hong kong? and why such a wide spread of options. hmm. wasnt like that in the states

well thanks for letting me talk about my dinner

shut up

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Telsa Cola posted:

Seizure of foreign vessels acting aggressively in your own waters is not going to be hard to defend.

they lock the doors and speed towards north korean waters though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HohsEKLLx54&t=86s

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

big time bisexual posted:

they lock the doors and speed towards north korean waters though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HohsEKLLx54&t=86s

There have been a couple of instances where Chinese ships have tried to ram other ships. Thats when you cut the poo poo and seize them, hell fire upon them if you need to. If they try to take off pursue till border then leave off I guess.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Telsa Cola posted:

There have been a couple of instances where Chinese ships have tried to ram other ships. Thats when you cut the poo poo and seize them, hell fire upon them if you need to. If they try to take off pursue till border then leave off I guess.

Even Canada had to start shooting at European fishing boats at one point. Sometimes you just have to escalate it.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Haier posted:

Might as well post this here...
Delhi's pollution today.

god loving damnit, i'm going to Delhi next week. at least im only there for maybe a day and then going to the other end of the country

maybe i can avoid eating/touching/inhaling anything while im there so that it wont ruin the rest of my trip

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLBShiGoJFo

you guys weren't joking lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
none of them get it haha

even though i've never seen it in person i am aware of sheltered americans being amazed at foreign looking people speaking english well, which is the closest analogue in the US. but those are bumpkins not people in a metropolitan area...

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I've never lived outside the southeast US and I don't think I've ever heard someone be surprised at a hispanic person speaking fluent english. most of the stupid racist poo poo is just "hurr durr karate and math" or "I love tacos!." Which is funny because the latter is almost always like a super sheltered white person trying to be accommodating and loving up.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

this is amazing

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

The de facto national beer in China in terms of liters downed is Snow. It's the most popular beer in the world by a lot. Considering that it's only available in China, enough is consumed so that everyone in China drinks 10L annually.

:vince:

I want to gag

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The video is a comedy sketch but this has literally happened to me many times in Korea, since one of my friends there was Chinese and her Korean was way worse than mine so I did the speaking.

E: Oh my god I just got to the good parts wow they just don't get it at all.

E2: Oh thank you one guy and girl who get it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 3, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Relin posted:

none of them get it haha

even though i've never seen it in person i am aware of sheltered americans being amazed at foreign looking people speaking english well, which is the closest analogue in the US. but those are bumpkins not people in a metropolitan area...

My girlfriend had to go and talk to a property management company in Vancouver (so they should have significant experience dealing with Chinese people) about some regulatory bullshit and she had some questions that the receptionist couldn't answer, so the receptionist let her boss know that there was a Chinese girl here to see him and that she "can speak English very well".

My girlfriend was double pissed because she's not Chinese and was born in Toronto.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i've like posted about it time and again but people will instinctively try talking to my wife when we are out together, and her spoken and listening chinese isn't nearly as good as mine is, so she'll kinda be uncertain and sometimes even tell me in chinese "i don't understand" and look at me and i'll answer the person, and then the person will say to my wife "do you know what he is saying?" and my wife will try to say what i said, and they will be like "right, totally, i get it, thank you" even though she does not know a single tone and her intonation isn't very good at all

like last night we met another couple for dinner and we wanted a private room at the restaurant and we went and got there

waitress: how many people?
my wife: 4, and then a baby. can we have...uh (to me: how to say private room?)
me: can we have a private room? because we have a baby.
waitress: (to my wife) what did he say?
my wife: uh...can we have (to me: private room? what is it?)
me to my wife: private room
my wife to the waitress: private room
the waitress: i don't understand
me: private room. (explains the characters)
the waitress to my wife: oh, you want a private room?
my wife: yes, a private room
the waitress to my wife: ok i'll check, thank you

this is just a normal interaction if you actually speak chinese in china. and that says nothing of people word vomiting answers to you when you've asked them a simple question in Chinese

[at post office with a new employee helping them mail something]
me to a banker: (in chinese) excuse me, when does the person who works at the post come back?
banker: (in english) GO...TO LUNCH!
me: (in chinese) ok, when does he get back?
banker: (to her coworker in chinese) how do i say 1:30?
coworker: i don't know, just tell him 1:30.
banker: (in english) ONE...THREE
me: i got it, thank you

like this happens multiple times a week, just about everywhere

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you ever tell them your wife is Japanese? I occasionally would get frustrated in Korea and say my friend is Chinese she doesn't speak Korean, and there'd be a great moment of just smelled a fart look on the person's face at being near a dirty Chinese person.

E: Also they probably couldn't understand why you'd want a private room instead of inflicting your screaming baby on everyone else like a normal person.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

The Great Autismo! posted:

like this happens multiple times a week, just about everywhere
But.. but... butt.... that cannot be the case! Americans should learn Chinese because w

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you ever tell them your wife is Japanese? I occasionally would get frustrated in Korea and say my friend is Chinese she doesn't speak Korean, and there'd be a great moment of just smelled a fart look on the person's face at being near a dirty Chinese person.

E: Also they probably couldn't understand why you'd want a private room instead of inflicting your screaming baby on everyone else like a normal person.

usually not, though sometimes if we are like in a taxi or something and the taxi guy says something like "wow the laowai speaks chinese really well" i'll ask him or her "how did you know my wife is a foreigner?" to which they are just kinda like :confused:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

usually not, though sometimes if we are like in a taxi or something and the taxi guy says something like "wow the laowai speaks chinese really well" i'll ask him or her "how did you know my wife is a foreigner?" to which they are just kinda like :confused:

How do people treat her generally? In Korea I always found that while people hate Japan with true fury in the abstract and basically everyone wants the country to sink into the ocean, they would be normal and friendly with actual Japanese people. My Japanese friends there never had any issues. I don't know any Japanese people in China though so idk what it's like here.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

How do people treat her generally? In Korea I always found that while people hate Japan with true fury in the abstract and basically everyone wants the country to sink into the ocean, they would be normal and friendly with actual Japanese people. My Japanese friends there never had any issues. I don't know any Japanese people in China though so idk what it's like here.

there's a pretty big contingent of japanese people in tianjin, they are by far the biggest expat group here. like you said, a lot of people tell me how much they hate japan, it's terrible, little japan is the worst, etc, but we've never really had any problems in public or anything. my wife's old company, the japanese kindergarten she was in charge of, did get kicked out of their old building because someone on the floor below complained to the police there were too many japanese people in the building. (??) i think maybe the company didn't step up with the hongbao needed for the police because they had to relocate to the building next door.

much like with most things i deal with in china on a daily basis, there's a whoolllllllllleeeeeeee lotta talking the talk and then maybe taking like half a babystep when trying to walk the walk before saying "ah i don't know, you know in ancient china, blah blah blah" and backpedaling incredibly fast

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

My Japanese friend here is like HSK 7 or something. She never mentions she's Japanese unless it's supposed to be known. Her English is very accent-less, so sometimes when we're together she likes to pretend she doesn't speak Chinese and we're two foreigners on vacation. At the same time, she get's really annoyed that my effort to speak Chinese properly is garbage and doesn't understand that I didn't go to a Chinese university like her and I have no intention to stay here for a decade like her as well.
Sometimes we are around other non-Chinese, who all assume she's Chinese and ignore her until she speaks English and then they think she's North American until she tells them she's from J-pan.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Once there was a good who bought some FAKE EGGS and I never got follow-up on how eggs could be faked and if they are actually edible. Can we please talk about fake foods that are sold as real food?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
If I never have to hear another Korean do that "OooohhAAAHHH" stupid fake amazed poo poo they do at my using chopsticks or speaking korean it'll be too soon....

The scene - a restaurant that has a sign on the door that says "no foreigners". Being an rear end in a top hat, I went in. The adjumma comes running over and says (in English) "No foreigners!!"

Me (in korean) - why not?
her (in korean) - it's too much trouble, they don't speak korean and it's too difficult
me - ...we are speaking korean right now...

a blank glassy look comes across her face and she switches back to 'No foreigners! No foreigners!" and retreats to the kitchen

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I look like the white version of ths guy.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
wow, this thread makes me happy that I live in China and not South Korea. I've been to ROK once, but living there seems even more annoying than living in bad China.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JaucheCharly posted:

I look like the white version of ths guy.

I take it you smoke a lot of weed

edit:

fish and chips and dip posted:

wow, this thread makes me happy that I live in China and not South Korea. I've been to ROK once, but living there seems even more annoying than living in bad China.

Annoying is a good adjective

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fish and chips and dip posted:

eh overall Korea is a much more pleasant place to live. It is a terrible place to work though.

I would agree that annoying is a good word. China's crap goes way past annoying into whole other realms of physical danger and poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea and China share a lot of the same annoying poo poo about everyday life, but in Korea it's a few notches lower. Like there are some parts of Korean society that actually function, as opposed to what happens here. Going to a bank in China is going to eat three hours, in Korea it'll be ten minutes. Korean hospitals are grungy while Chinese ones are open sewers. Korean driving is bad, Chinese driving is homicidal, etc.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"You have been visited by the friendly ghost of Haier who brings good plunging to your village."

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea and China share a lot of the same annoying poo poo about everyday life, but in Korea it's a few notches lower. Like there are some parts of Korean society that actually function, as opposed to what happens here. Going to a bank in China is going to eat three hours, in Korea it'll be ten minutes. Korean hospitals are grungy while Chinese ones are open sewers. Korean driving is bad, Chinese driving is homicidal, etc.

lest we forget.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSBGVsoSH1c

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ladron posted:

I take it you smoke a lot of weed

Yesss. And I bet nobody noticed the archer's ring on his thumb.

Fun story, I was at an auction in Munich a few months ago and they sold some of these thumbrings with the imperial seal on. While the chinese bought some ancient bows for 12k and stuff, they'd drop staggering 29k for these jade rings who were supposed to be sold for a couple of hundred bucks. A dude who deals with these antiquities told me that the chinese buy this jade poo poo like crazy and you can be sure that the ones from newer provinence are fake.

A dude who knows the symbolism and the deco of the respective era could easily turn these and there's no telling that they're no antiquities.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

this is what annoys me most about whataboutism. i'm not saying china is DIFFERENT, i'm saying china is on a different LEVEL. which it is. any sane person who is not completely in love with china before they come here would agree. china takes it up a few notches.

i have said a million times on these forums that china is cool and good. i like china. but there is definitely annoying stuff about it, and that is hard to ignore.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

what the gently caress . is this a joke ? some people covet a bunch of islands full of seagulls ? What ! just say Japan ! If they say Japan will it cause great face loss

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pon de Bundy posted:

what the gently caress . is this a joke ? some people covet a bunch of islands full of seagulls ? What ! just say Japan ! If they say Japan will it cause great face loss

read the comments, friend who has obviously never been to korea

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

this is what annoys me most about whataboutism. i'm not saying china is DIFFERENT, i'm saying china is on a different LEVEL. which it is. any sane person who is not completely in love with china before they come here would agree. china takes it up a few notches.

i have said a million times on these forums that china is cool and good. i like china. but there is definitely annoying stuff about it, and that is hard to ignore.

That's very true. But a lot of bullshit like office politics is more universal than just in China kind of thing

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

read the comments, friend who has obviously never been to korea

why would a white person go to Korea? That's crazy !

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pon de Bundy posted:

why would a white person go to Korea? That's crazy !

the food and poon are not bad

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

That's very true. But a lot of bullshit like office politics is more universal than just in China kind of thing

for sure. but the pettiness that china takes it to is another level. i've dealt with bad office politics in the states. i mean ask a few goons about how they have had their lives literally hosed over because of stupid pettiness and office politics. it's embarrassing how bad it can get over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

peanut posted:

Once there was a good who bought some FAKE EGGS and I never got follow-up on how eggs could be faked and if they are actually edible. Can we please talk about fake foods that are sold as real food?

Last time I was in Hong Kong there was two scams running, one was smuggling meat in to beat some 0.002 cent tax per kilo and the other was fake eggs.

The whole salers sold them for cheap and disappeared, they were nice and heavy so market goers bought them, they were made using crushed seashell, seaweed extract and a rubber bouncy ball.

• Locked thread