Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Inglonias posted:

What are you basing this craziness on? Last I checked, the GOP does very well in midterms, and will still control the house.
hmmm maybe they will retake the House in 2018, but there will be no impeachment before then

I suspect the GOP will be in too much disarray, both in the aftermath of trump and also a renewed fairness doctrine obliterating their means of communication with their deluded base, to mount an effective challenge in the midterms. Time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know how hipsters will say they listen to everything except for country and rap?

Lol that's not a hipster thing to say at all. That's like the basic white OkCupid profile thing to say.

Hipsterism would be like only listening to Lomax recordings, or Thai surf-rock (Actually a legit genre)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

FYI volunteering for GOTV feels amazing and is a great way to find a safe space to air your leftist liberal views openly and without restraint around like-minded hard-working people.

I strongly, strongly recommend it! :D

I'm hoping to make a few new friends before Tuesday so we have a drinking posse together for livestreaming Election Night results.

Thank you for your service.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

badatom posted:

So I'm still trying to understand why it looks like Ohio is suddenly trending red. We went for Obama +5 in 2008 and +3 in 2012, and Hillary has had an equivalent ground game and presence here. And John Kasich was one of the few holdouts that never endorsed Trump, for what that's worth. I guess my question is, how much should I drink on election night?

trump is an old man who still thinks it is the 70's and 80's, his glory days, so he has been hammering the outsourcing/factory closure as his only real economic position. this is a dumb and unrealistic argument but it works pretty well in rust belt states like ohio

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I only listen to country and rape. I am the meta hipster.

Filthy Slaanesh cultist. I'm calling the Inquisition.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You know how hipsters will say they listen to everything except for country and rap?

This is me too

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm honestly surprised the House didn't vote to impeach Obama at some point.
I used to think TNC was using hyperbole/cheerleading, but over this election campaign I've come to understand: he is right, Obama is exceptional. For example, he is spotless. Imagine an impeachment process with an 'Can You Say That a Little Louder, Candy'.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

We are long past our expiration date and have as much relevance and impact nowadays as a bunch of elderly people yelling at each other at a nursing home.

Aren't the elderly one of the most powerful demographics? We still got it!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

a shameful boehner posted:

Sorry. I wont use the term again.

I get extremely frustrated with voters in red states. Its beyond simple ignorance at this point.

You only vote Republican anymore if you have active, open malice towards Others unlike you and genuinely believe that the republic would be better off as a xenophobic nativist oligarchy.

So gently caress Republicans, and their voters too, but i will mind the phrases used better :shobon:

Thank you, no hard feelings :respek:

I'm extremely frustrated too. I don't want to hate these people, but I don't understand them and they definitely hate me.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 4, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think otters are supposed to be hot so roll with that v:shobon:v

I think the crushing reality of adulthood is that you don't get to be an anything anymore. You are just a man.

Also, the upward trend of infinite optimism stops after college when you realize pounding a case of Natty Light will now make you really fat over time because your metabolism slows down and your body will start deteriorating if you don't actively take care of it, among many other facets of reality as a working adult.

Being able to take all these things for granted and get away with stupid poo poo mistakes as a naive kid was pretty nice, honestly. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 4, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Sorry. I wont use the term again.

I get extremely frustrated with voters in red states. Its beyond simple ignorance at this point.

You only vote Republican anymore if you have active, open malice towards Others unlike you and genuinely believe that the republic would be better off as a xenophobic nativist oligarchy.

So gently caress Republicans, and their voters too, but i will mind the phrases used better :shobon:

That's just not true. You really underestimate how easy it is to be entirely self centered and self focused in our country.

Voting Republican is as simple as honestly believing you're being milked dry by the nanny state. All you see is your tax bills, why would you ever be exposed to the realities of the rest of America? Even when you do see it, we've grown a strong societial streak for blaming the individual, the city, the state for the problems of the whole.

Our entire system is built around coddling these people, so it isn't just malice that they don't escape the comfort zone.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Lol that's not a hipster thing to say at all. That's like the basic white OkCupid profile thing to say.

Hipsterism would be like only listening to Lomax recordings, or Thai surf-rock (Actually a legit genre)

holy poo poo it's not entirely terrible, just different and weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHQ5hKMJpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qgV8O5An20

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also had to learn not to say "retarded." Habits of speech are often mostly subconscious and hard to be aware of, and even harder to break. That was a tough one for me because it just didn't come up in my life. It's a pervasive one because the differently abled can be made invisible very easily, and that makes it difficult to be conscious of the effects the way we might be with "gay" or similar.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

botany posted:

It's actually most often explained to be the result of the political realities of the Weimar Republic, so pre-nazis. From 1918 on there often were close to 20 different political parties in the Reichstag, which made getting anything done extraordinarily difficult. That's the common story. However the 5% rule was only adopted in '53, and some people point out that it was very effective at making sure that Adenauer's CSU party effectively became the only viable party in his neck of the woods (Bavaria).

Interesting. I like German politics, but my more rigorous undergrad courses (lol, okay) cut off at WWI.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Thai surf-rock (Actually a legit genre)

You link that poo poo right now.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

Essentially anyone smart with money left Ohio ages ago. And Ohio's cities aren't Blue enough to counter the red everywhere else.

Chicago and Northern Illinois are the only thing keeping Illinois from being Ohio.

Yeah but Chicago makes for a much more resilient liberal stronghold than a place like Cleveland. I'm not worried about Illinois going hard red anytime soon, but I guess with Dems like Rahm who needs Republicans.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, the upward trend of infinite optimism stops after college when you realize pounding a case of Natty Light will now make you really fat over time because your metabolism slows down and your body will start deteriorating if you don't actively take care of it.

Being able to take all these things for granted and get away with stupid poo poo mistakes as a naive kid was pretty nice, honestly. :smith:

FWIW your metabolism barely slows prior to menopause/andropause. Just people become sedentary and eat more. The upshot being that you can be in just as good shape as a 20year old (actually way stronger really), but you don't get to use the metabolism excuse

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Thank you, no hard feelings :respek:

I'm extremely frustrated to. I don't want to hate these people, but I don't understand them and they definitely hate me.
A bunch of them never had a chance. There's 15 year old girls who believe abortion is baby murders, and there was never an option for them to become any other way. And then there's the old ones, whose brains simply aren't able to change much. It's brains, so it's biology; you've hosed up your heart with 60 years of Being An American, you simply cannot become healthy again. Brains work like that, too.

And the way things are going, in 200 years, the average human being will look back at people like us ITT and consider us horrible backwards monsters for things we simply cannot even see right now.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Doesn't Pitchfork put rap and pop on a weird pedestal?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Young Hegelian posted:

Interesting. I like German politics, but my more rigorous undergrad courses (lol, okay) cut off at WWI.

Yeah I would have assumed so with a name like that :v:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

xthetenth posted:

You link that poo poo right now.

I know a guy with a bunch of LPs of that poo poo but no links sorry. Fun as hell though

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Harrow posted:

RIP my home state :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

Ohio isn't that bad. On the other hand, it actually really sucks! :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Deified Data posted:

After Mel's post I am reading these as "rape" and "pope" until further notice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do those legislatures have assigned constituencies the way US congressmen do?

The system for UK House Of Commons seats, in both election method and assignment of geographical constituencies, is essentially the same as the US House of Representatives.

The only difference is that since there aren't a bunch of states around, the population distribution is more uniform, so no instances like how Rhode Island has 2 reps for 1.05 million people but Montana only has 1 rep for 1.02 million people.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Has anyone read Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam? I constantly think about his case in light of the ouroborous of self-reinforcing self-selected media exposure contributing to the decline in civic participation.

For what its worth, i regularly listen to conservative talk radio both local here in CO and nationally syndicated poo poo like Levin and Limbaugh just so I can hear what the "other side" thinks.

It can be very, very difficult and is always depressing. But it is important.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011

Dexo posted:

Essentially anyone smart with money left Ohio ages ago. And Ohio's cities aren't Blue enough to counter the red everywhere else.

Chicago and Northern Illinois are the only thing keeping Illinois from being Ohio.

If I had money I'd probably be living in Chicago. For now, at least Toledo is reliably blue so the aftermath won't be too horrible. Still gonna be drinking though!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I also had to learn not to say "retarded." Habits of speech are often mostly subconscious and hard to be aware of, and even harder to break. That was a tough one for me because it just didn't come up in my life. It's a pervasive one because the differently abled can be made invisible very easily, and that makes it difficult to be conscious of the effects the way we might be with "gay" or similar.
Yeah, I used to say "gay" all the time until I learned a friend was gay and suddenly I felt extremely silly for something that had been the most normal thing for like a decade of my life, and I haven't said it since.

I have a cousin with Down's, so it's easier I guess.

Deified Data posted:

Always seemed like trying to out-hipster hipsters to me.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Did anyone else listen the latest This American Life?

Zoe Chace has a great story starting at 16:05 that's mostly about anti-immigration campaigns in Minnesota. At the story's heart is a young man named Bobby Benson who is desperately trying to explain that his friends and family are still good people despite the fact that they support racist policies and vocally supported the attack of a Somali woman in an Applebee's for daring to speak her native language with her friends.

It's preeeeeeeeeeeetty good. And also you know, a reminder. Your friends and family aren't good people. They would have elected Hitler. Humans aren't brave or smart, they are dumb and scared.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I guess this is the logical end point of telling people "political correctness is bad, why should we care about words?"

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh totally

I completely agree that Nate came to his model honestly, and he may even be right about why he did it. I am just personally erring on the side of the majority of aggregates of which Nate is dead last.

We're aggregating the aggregates?

Is there a site where a person (last name Gold) aggregates the aggregate aggregates?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

1000 years of liberal darkness.

Please let that upward tic be a trend and not a fluke.
(It's mostly the PPP numbers I think.)

Please don't, everyone in Mexico/Canada will get cancer

Sweet anal beads, Nate.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It's so loving frustrating to see that sentiment even if it's from the other party on millennials being "lazy". gently caress you, you entitled white rear end men trying to tell me that I'm not working hard enough. You go to college, get a degree and take on student debt and then find out, oops the system that our parents relied on which allowed them to make a living wage totally doesn't loving work anymore so now our generation is completely hosed, in a ton of unforgivable debt, can't afford to live but can't afford to leave, and meanwhile these old fuckers have the gall to say that we're not working hard enough? Are you loving kidding me with this garbage? It makes me so loving angry and depressed, mostly because I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. It's going to be another 4 to 8 years of total non-cooperation because the whiny babies refuse to let the system work because the people are rejecting their system that doesn't loving work! This isn't going to improve, this isn't going to get better, and I don't know what I can do anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Thank you for your service.

My pleasure! :thumbsup:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Deified Data posted:

Pitchfork (the only evidence you'll ever need that real hipsters are now old af) likes the kind of rap white people find validating.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Thai surf-rock (Actually a legit genre)

Thanks to YouTube, I am now looking really confused with headphones on in front of my computer.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Belding posted:

Did anyone else listen the latest This American Life?

Zoe Chace has a great story starting at 16:05 that's mostly about anti-immigration campaigns in Minnesota. At the story's heart is a young man named Bobby Benson who is desperately trying to explain that his friends and family are still good people despite the fact that they support racist policies and vocally supported the attack of a Somali woman in an Applebee's for daring to speak her native language with her friends.

It's preeeeeeeeeeeetty good. And also you know, a reminder. Your friends and family aren't good people. They would have elected Hitler. Humans aren't brave or smart, they are dumb and scared.

Seconding this, but it was infuriating. Also the United States of Anxiety podcast for similar stuff, it's great

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Kilroy posted:

hmmm maybe they will retake the House in 2018, but there will be no impeachment before then

I suspect the GOP will be in too much disarray, both in the aftermath of trump and also a renewed fairness doctrine obliterating their means of communication with their deluded base, to mount an effective challenge in the midterms. Time will tell.

Doesn't matter if they're in disarray if we have abysmal turnout from Dems like in 2010 and 2014.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

it turns out "shithead" and "fuckface" are far more egalitarian terms to describe Bad People

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kavros posted:

We're aggregating the aggregates?
This is totally a thing, and like 30% of what's driving the massive gains in AI we are seeing right now.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This makes me wonder how Stringer Bell would have voted

Proposition Joe, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

fishmech posted:

The system for UK House Of Commons seats, in both election method and assignment of geographical constituencies, is essentially the same as the US House of Representatives.

How do they handle redistricting?

• Locked thread