Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

berenzen posted:

Anyone know any good boardgames for android while I wait for this game of CAH to finish?

http://android.mehtank.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Whaddup Broken Loose! I don't play test anymore but I hope it goes well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Today I played Discoveries, which was better than I thought it would be after reading the rules. I also played Imhotep for the second time, this time with 4.

Imhotep to me is an odd beast. It was nominated for the Spiel, and I can see how it wasn't very good with 2, but with 4 coming up with strategy seems tough because other players can so easily mess with anything you think up before your turn begins.

Some games have too little player interaction, Imhotep seems to have too much player interaction.

This is what I love about Imhotep. It's not a game about you having a great plan and executing it perfectly. It is a game that has a lot more to do with risk mitigation and trying to read the other player's moves. Your buddy just put a stone first position on a ship? Well, where does he hope that's going? Is it going to be in your interest to try to tag along there? Do other players have a better move to make personally than sending you and your buddy off to some lovely location? Is there a position you can get in that no matter where a boat is sent, it will be pretty good for you? I've found that sending out a boat is very rarely the most efficient action, I like to stay beneath the radar, piggyback on boats when I see a good position and let other players send them out. This is especially true if you're playing with newer players, who really tend to mess with each other instead of taking the action that's honestly best for them. It's almost like a social deduction game with Euro trappings.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
PMs sent! Good luck!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

berenzen posted:

Anyone know any good boardgames for android while I wait for this game of CAH to finish?

Just so I'm clear, your plan is to sit at the table playing a boardgame on your phone while the people around you play CAH?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

Has anyone tried out the new Ted Alspach game Colony? I liked both Suburbia and Castles so I'm tempted to buy it just on pedigree.

Don't buy it just on pedigree, don't buy it for RRP. It's worth playing, but not worth what they're charging.

Gameplay-wise it's a tableau builder with a kingdom like Dominion's. Each turn you roll three dice, keep one and the next two players each take one. You can also store a limited number of dice between rounds. Cards are bought with different combinations of numbers, and can be upgraded both to provide more points and do more or require less when activated. Game ends when someone reaches 15 points.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Just so I'm clear, your plan is to sit at the table playing a boardgame on your phone while the people around you play CAH?

That post was 5 hours ago, hopefully the CAH game is long over.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Broken Loose posted:

I need playtesters, is what I'm saying. It's feature-complete, but there are some rough edges in the 6-10 player area that I'd like to see ironed out before I start hammering out review copies. Anybody wanna try?

I can usually hit the lower end of that spectrum regularly, and 8 players occasionally. 10 players will have to wait until Christmas, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Outdated, use this branch with Adventures, Empires, and the 2e cards.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Chomposaur posted:

I use one of those, and it works like a charm -- my only caution would be that it only works well for square boxes. There's no chance I'm ever getting Seafall or Mechs vs Minions in there. Then again, Mechs vs Minions would not fit into any carrying solution that I own.

This looks interesting, and a couple of local instrument stores even have different brands in stock so I could get one right now -- but how do you mean it' only good for square boxes? Judging from the images, as long as you put in at least one or two square ones, you can also pack standard-sized rectangular boxes (e.g. Keyflower) between or on top of those... or would that make the whole thing collapse or something?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Mom and Dad Are Coming sounds amazing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

:eyepop:
You just made my day!

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I played WHQ adventure card game again today and everybody loved it. Almost broke their heart when I told em there won't be any more content for it.

I really hope that Arkham cardgame will be somewhat similar.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for all the dominon chat guys! I'm still iffy on it, so I decided to download the app mentioned above and see how if going deep on the strategy against AIs gets me more interested. I suspect it might, but also doubt my regular playgroup would be interested enough to play long enough to get this deep at it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Ayy BLoose I dunno if this too late but my board game meetups are huge and I could trick 10 people into playtesting no prob if you wanna shoot me a PM.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

system_CRASH is a 2-10 player hacker fighting game.

Broken Loose posted:

Stall*Mart, a game about a man going to the store and buying groceries.

Mom And Dad Are Coming, a quirky card game where all the players are siblings waging perpetual war in a house that is in dire need of cleaning.

Here Goes Nothing, an even quirkier language game where all the players have a single word to a grammatically correct sentence, and the goal is to be the first to say the sentence.

These all sound like they own, I wish I could tell you my gaming group was 6-10 people.

Mega64 posted:

Unless they've significantly improved the AI, I would not recommend Androminion at all. Last time I played it, the AI was trashing Provinces for silvers with Trading Post.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Honestly that language sentence sounds really cool, yeah. Sounds like you'd need a lot of sentences with shared words or it wouldn't have much replay value. How were you going to handle setup?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Unless they've significantly improved the AI, I would not recommend Androminion at all. Last time I played it, the AI was trashing Provinces for silvers with Trading Post.

There's several types of AI, but most (or probably all) are still pretty terrible. Fun to dick around with until the new Dominion apps pop up in a couple months.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks for all the dominon chat guys! I'm still iffy on it, so I decided to download the app mentioned above and see how if going deep on the strategy against AIs gets me more interested. I suspect it might, but also doubt my regular playgroup would be interested enough to play long enough to get this deep at it.

You could also download the official online dominion PC/iOS app and try out the core set for free (or play against me; I own every expansion on there).

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Big McHuge posted:

Has anyone tried out the new Ted Alspach game Colony? I liked both Suburbia and Castles so I'm tempted to buy it just on pedigree.

I didn't like it. It seems like it would play quickly but it drags and becomes uninteresting near the end.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's a Chicago goon board game group with usually 12 ish ppl showing up bloose. Pm me a copy and I'll get it playtested there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Turns out my girlfriend really wants to try to get into board gaming and pandemic and cats caught her eye

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I know they did a game of Pandemic with Cthulhu, but Pandemic and cats??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bob Barker warned us, we should have spayed and neutered them when we had the chance....

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

someone give me some hot terra mystica tips so i can kick all my friends' asses when we play

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

Mr. Squishy posted:

toxoplasmosis

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Squishy posted:

I played Pandemic/Cthulu this weekend a few times. It feels less like a themed pandemic than like a superior version of Arkham Horror with all of the Talisman-esque frustrating bullshit has been removed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

someone give me some hot terra mystica tips so i can kick all my friends' asses when we play

#1 tip is that bonus points off of round tiles and bonus tiles wins the game. Anything more specific/less obvious than that would be an effortpost that I'm not going to get into, but which amounts to "learn to parse the round tiles and select the right faction". eg Darklings and Halflings are good with r4 shovel bonus, Swarmlings and Nomads are good with r1 SA/SH.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hauki posted:

I had like three separate people try to push this on me today and their descriptions each made me suspicious of it, so I guess I'm glad to hear that? Curious to hear a little more in depth I guess but I'll just avoid it for know.

edit: one of them derailed a discussion about mechs vs minions & pandemic legacy to suggest Clank because we would "definitely enjoy it" [based on the other two] and the more I think about it the more baffling that leap in logic is.

I don't know how in depth I can be based on a single play, but I'll try.

So it's a market row deckbuilder, with all the troubles that a market row deckbuilder can have. Lot of topdecking ("Man, I wish I had gotten that Magic Carpet") and for some weird reason, the market row also has cards that resemble Ascension's monsters. That is, you kill them for some benefit, but in reality it's sort of like trading a resource for another, but in a way that you can't really control very well because it's a deckbuilder. My real complaint is that there was just no way to make anything resembling a cohesive or strategic deck. If I wanted to, for example, focus on getting gold, it all depended on the luck of the draw. If I wanted a high risk strategy of getting cards that generate Clank! (mitigated with a strategy of cards that remove Clank!), it depended on the luck of the draw. If I wanted a strategy that made me super duper mobile so that I can go to the deepest parts of the dungeon and not have to worry about getting out in time, it all depended on the luck of the draw. What it ended up being is that my deck was just kinda janky and full of cards that had no real synergies with each other.

One thing that annoyed me is that sometimes you just get hosed on luck of the draw. The very, very early parts of the dungeon only require a single move icon to advance, which is what your deck pretty much consists of. But after around 3 of those, you need 2 move icons to advance, which is a good way of telling you that you need to get an Explore (generic +move card) or something similar to advance in the dungeon, but I think there is still a chance, however small, that you get absolutely dicked and can't advance without drawing it, having to wait another turn (and get more Clanks in the meanwhile). I really, really wish the two Stumble cards (+1 Clank, no other effects, they are effectively a dead draw) gave like, 1 movement or something on them, since that would smooth things out a lot. There was definitely a point where I spent like 3-4 turns doing nothing but sitting in a room, buying things with +Move icons, while other people were like, doing things. It's a lovely feeling, even if I was technically "improving" my deck with all these other cards.

The Clank mechanic does add a nice bit of tension to it all, and I appreciated the risk/reward stuff, but I don't think it really adds enough to warrant consideration over Dominion. By all means, give it a play, since I didn't find the experience abhorrent like a 3 hour game of Munchkin, just don't really expect a revolution in the genre.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CommonShore posted:

I played Pandemic/Cthulu this weekend a few times. It feels less like a themed pandemic than like a superior version of Arkham Horror with all of the Talisman-esque frustrating bullshit has been removed.

I'm intrigued.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

CommonShore posted:

#1 tip is that bonus points off of round tiles and bonus tiles wins the game. Anything more specific/less obvious than that would be an effortpost that I'm not going to get into, but which amounts to "learn to parse the round tiles and select the right faction". eg Darklings and Halflings are good with r4 shovel bonus, Swarmlings and Nomads are good with r1 SA/SH.

I think one of the reasons I like Terra Mystica is that the bonus tile system gives you clear goals to aim for, and you can also look ahead in them as well to decide what to go for both short term and long term.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some Numbers posted:

I'm intrigued.

Ok to expand on this a bit then -

Arkham Horror basically involves running around a shitload dealing with unexpected poo poo, trying to race the outbreak of monsters before the world gets overrun, right? From a gameplay perspective you need to deal with a terribly balanced system of dice, multiple card decks, items, and unclear rules for combat, "terror" and the like. It takes like 90-120 minutes to play as you basically flee from monsters until you can min-max your character with equipment enough to turn from the monsters' prey into their predator.

Pandemic Cthulu takes like 30 minutes to play. It involves your characters running around a shitload dealing with unexpected poo poo, trying to race the outbreak of monsters before the world gets overrun. But from a gameplay perspective, it has been whittled down to two decks, just like Pandemic. Combat has been removed - you just use your "actions" to "fight" the enemies isntead of a pile of annoying gear. Sanity still exists in the game, but it becomes an expendable resource which get occasionally threatened and which power your mystical artifacts, which take the place of Pandemic's "event" cards. The pressure of opening gates and big baddies still exists, but they're simplified. Pandemic's infection and outbreak mechanices are combined into a single track which shares features with the virulent strain mechanics, under the flavour of "old gods" or whatever. So when the fourth cultist would be placed on a location (or one of a few other conditions is met) instead of an "Outbreak," you get Azathoth or Yg or whatever, which adds a new difficult wrinkle to the gameplay. The 7th such condition is Cthulu and game loss.

It's not the world's greatest game, but if you a) like Lovecraftian IP, b) think that Arkham Horror is a loving mess, c) don't hate Pandemic's core mechanics, and d) like games that take 30-45 minutes to play, you'll probably like it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh, I've played Arkham before. I've played Eldritch before too.

I could see Pandemic's mechanics working well with a Lovecraftian paint job, so I'll definitely look into that.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just watched the SUSD review of Inis and I'm struggling with my credit card. Is this game as good as they make it sound? Even just the "Kemet with less rules" part is a massive plus for me.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Can't tell you from first hand experience because it's sitting on my shelf unplayed as I rarely have less than 5 people at the table. Most recent critique here was that it has too much hidden information and that it's over hyped.

I bought it because I didn't own any dudes on a map games yet and I love drafting. The psychedelic art is just a bonus.

E: oh wait, I lie. I also have Blood Rage sitting on my shelf unplayed. :homebrew:

theroachman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Some Numbers posted:

Oh, I've played Arkham before. I've played Eldritch before too.

I could see Pandemic's mechanics working well with a Lovecraftian paint job, so I'll definitely look into that.

I've never played vanilla Pandemic and I thought I was getting sick of Lovecraftian nonsense but Pandemic Cthulhu is really fun and I've managed to get it to the table a bunch since I bought it a few weeks ago.

One really cool thing to note is that even though there is a sanity die and therefore some randomness, it never takes a player out of the game altogether. It might make things an absolute pain in the rear end, but the players stay in the game and just have their abilities reduced.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

theroachman posted:

Can't tell you from first hand experience because it's sitting on my shelf unplayed as I rarely have less than 5 people at the table. Most recent critique here was that it has too much hidden information and that it's over hyped.

I bought it because I didn't own any dudes on a map games yet and I love drafting. The psychedelic art is just a bonus.

E: oh wait, I lie. I also have Blood Rage sitting on my shelf unplayed. :homebrew:

hmm, hidden information is totally my bag but overhype sounds cautious. I'll keep this Cool Stuff order on hold for a bit, try and get some more opinions. Thanks.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Baller Ina posted:

Just watched the SUSD review of Inis and I'm struggling with my credit card. Is this game as good as they make it sound? Even just the "Kemet with less rules" part is a massive plus for me.

I ordered on Amazon months ago and it still has no estimated ship date

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Baller Ina posted:

As someone you don't know, talking to someone you don't know, he said he played it at a game night and wasn't impressed. He felt that there were other games that did it better, but I never followed him up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I'm back from the void. I have 300 pages of thread on which to catch up.

You know Tony Stark in Iron Man 3? That's been me, but instead of suits, games. You're all gonna love my Mk42, though.

system_CRASH is a 2-10 player hacker fighting game. When I say "hacker fighting game," what I mean to say is that it's a fighting game with no screen where you play as hackers. It took me a month to even figure out how to write the elevator pitch for this monstrosity. It's real-time, but it has turns. It's turn-based, but you can take your turn anytime you want (including simultaneously with other players). It's a social game with no discussion. It's a team game but you can betray your team. It's a deduction game where what you find out makes you a liability.

I need playtesters, is what I'm saying. It's feature-complete, but there are some rough edges in the 6-10 player area that I'd like to see ironed out before I start hammering out review copies. Anybody wanna try?

I can't guarantee anything, but my weekly meet in the FLGS regularly gets 8+ (even 10+) groups, and people are generally eager to try new things. I've also PnP'd a few things before. So yeah, I'm definitely interested!