Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Poor Freckles, thought of ants and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I worked with a woman that was living check to check and had very little money after her bills.

She got a "free" horse that cost her 800 a month in bills. Wtf is it with horses that make people so foolish?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That said, a horse like that is by absolutely no account worth $7,500+. That horse is worth glue. I love horses, but people will give you a decent-quality horse. I've been offered perfectly fine horses a number of times. They will probably have to pay someone to take it. All three of those people have no business with a horse.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, that 16 YO boy is going on a tour of East Asia next year with his globetrotting 25 YO Cool AuntTM? She's totally going to buy him a hooker and get him high as poo poo in some opium den.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

LGD posted:

He could be, but there's nothing in his account that would necessitate it. It turns out that sometimes women are flawed/bad people too.

Lol, projecting much? I would have thought that regardless. Sometimes partners can be flawed would have sufficed.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pick posted:

That said, a horse like that is by absolutely no account worth $7,500+. That horse is worth glue. I love horses, but people will give you a decent-quality horse. I've been offered perfectly fine horses a number of times. They will probably have to pay someone to take it. All three of those people have no business with a horse.

Are horses big in furry circles, or is more of a "just you" thing?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Regulation Size posted:

White girls just be cray bout horses. :biotruths:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Let's buy a horse together" must like the all-female version of when idiot couples have a baby to "help bring them closer together".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Much more interesting than New York City. You know much of our country, foreigner. Perhaps you should write a travel guide.

I spent two years living in Manhattan / Brooklyn, to me at this point the south and the national parks are far more interesting.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
White women love horses because they're the perfect symbolic counterpoint for a doomed yet passionate love affair

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

china bot posted:

White women love horses because they're the perfect symbolic counterpoint for a doomed yet passionate love affair

This is why when you see horse photos you always swipe left.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Regulation Size posted:

I know I've got a cool dossier in stalker circles, but still not a furry and still never a horse owner.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I love the Lego guy story.

Because he told her, "I would rather do nothing or play with toys than travel with you" - which may be the most honest answer given in the history of r/relationships; but her mind just can believe he's that lame, and thinks he's withholding something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some people just don't like traveling very much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chomp8645 posted:

Some people just don't like traveling very much.
Honestly, I'm one of them. It's not that I don't like travel or appreciate what cool things there are all over the world - there's awesome stuff out there. I just feel like there's so much cool stuff right here in my own city that I haven't seen because work/life/etc has gotten in the way. I think taking time off and committing to actually doing cool local things the whole time would be a lot more fun than anything requiring airports or tray tables. It might lead to things that I end up doing regularly, as opposed "uhh sure next time I'm in prague".

Actually living in another country could be totally cool though - that's totally different in my eyes.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

"Let's buy a horse together" must like the all-female version of when idiot couples have a baby to "help bring them closer together".

The man version of horses is boats.

quote:

I [20F] made up a person, and now my friend wants to meet them. Help?

Made a throwaway account so no one I know sees this...

Basically I met this girl a while ago. Back then I didn't have many friends (because of having really bad anxiety.) The anxiety also made me paranoid that this girl wouldn't want to be my friend if she knew how much of a loser I was, so I invented this person, who was apparently one of my closest friends I didn't really have any close friends at all.

I went all out with this to make it seem as realistic as possible, even giving them this full backstory. I went as far as sending texts to myself, pretending they were from my friend.

I had no idea that this girl would become one of my only closest friends. But now, obviously, she wants to meet this other 'closest friend.' It's also my birthday coming up, so I would have to make some weak excuse about why my 'closest friend' couldn't make my birthday party. I can't just tell her that it's imaginary, not when she has become one of my best friends. This entire thing could ruin the friendship. My depression has hit full force now.

What can I do?

tl;dr: made up a person when I started talking to her, didn't know she would become one of my best friends, now she wants to meet this person. Help?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There is only one answer and it is calling her sobbing about your murdered friend.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

There is only one answer and it is calling her sobbing about your murdered friend.

Then her real friend will want to go the funeral or look up the obituary. Way too complicated

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Lol, projecting much? I would have thought that regardless. Sometimes partners can be flawed would have sufficed.

I mean maybe, but your reaction to the story was to cast doubt on a completely plausible scenario and suggest the OP was omitting information about their own failings, which just so happened to correspond to a well-known gender stereotype and had no other supporting evidence whatsoever. Given a gender-flipped counterfactual of the situation outlined in the initial post, would your initial reaction really have been suggesting that a woman who had abandoned her job and sold her home to support her partner's career, and was working hard but failing to get a business off the ground in a foreign country, was probably just attracting justified ire because they're slovenly and a poor homemaker?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
They actually have services for hiring people to act as your friend for selfies and stuff, so he should do that once and have his imagibuddy tell his realiofriend that he's moving immediately to Budapest to pursue his new life as a lion tamer.

I mean seriously, she's gonna at least want to see his Facebook page so might as well go all out.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

quote:

Father-in-law [65M] has spent 6 months making our Christmas gift, and we [26F] [28M] don't care for it. But it's a "surprise" and we aren't even supposed to know.

Long story short this past weekend I happened to look for something in my in-laws' basement where they have a workshop room, and saw a set of dining chairs. Later my sister-in-law said she wasn't sure what to get her parents for Christmas and I suggested something for the dining room since it appears my father-in-law is building new chairs, so they may like to revamp the room a bit.

She explained that the chairs are actually for my husband and I, and my father-in-law has been building them since late April, but it's a Christmas surprise (so I should pretend I don't know).

My husband popped in and looked at them, too, and the thing is- we don't really care for the chairs. They are not our "style" and they are stained a very light yellowy color - whereas we have a dining room table, hutch, buffet, plant stands and chairs all stained a dark cherry, and last year we even had the trim in the room stained to match, too. There are 8 of them.

We have chairs that we are already happy with, and we have a lot of them - I have a huge family and so we bought a set of 24 gorgeous chairs at an estate sale. They are very nice and padded and we love them.

If we had fewer existing chairs and could use spares, that would work out fine, or if we had another room that could use some chairs - but we have plenty of chairs and we don't have another room that needs anything.
I'd appreciate any advice.

tl;dr: My father-in-law hand-built us a set of dining chairs that we don't care for and we are happy with the ones we have. They are supposed to be a Christmas surprise. Not sure what to do with this awkward situation.

that's a lot of chairs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How loving entitled do you have to be?

A hand made gift that's not exactly what I need, gently caress you dad.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

They actually have services for hiring people to act as your friend for selfies and stuff, so he should do that once and have his imagibuddy tell his realiofriend that he's moving immediately to Budapest to pursue his new life as a lion tamer.

I mean seriously, she's gonna at least want to see his Facebook page so might as well go all out.

You know what's going to happen. She's actually hoping to go out with his friend. He'll rent a friend and she'll run away with the friend.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

How loving entitled do you have to be?

A hand made gift that's not exactly what I need, gently caress you dad.
They're piss colored though.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

The tacit understanding with all Christmas gifts is that even if you don't like them, you act grateful and thank the person.

Then you place the aforementioned gift somewhere in your house where you never have to use it.

How is that so hard for her to figure out?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They already have 24 chairs! They don't need 8 more!

Also this "gift" sounds like he's just trying to insist on how they decorate their home.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Devian666 posted:

You know what's going to happen. She's actually hoping to go out with his friend. He'll rent a friend and she'll run away with the friend.

I'm pretty sure everyone in that story, including the imaginary friend, are women.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

quote:

Father-in-law [65M] has spent 6 months making our Christmas gift, and we [26F] [28M] don't care for it. But it's a "surprise" and we aren't even supposed to know.

Holy poo poo nothing in this thread has made me as mad as this story. As a former professional woodworker, these people clearly have no idea just how labor and skill is required to make chairs from scratch. If someone makes you a chair, let alone an entire set, it means they loving love the hell out of you. Also, their "dark cherry" stained furniture is probably absolute horse poo poo next to whatever dad made and I'm sure their house is an encyclopedia of bad design decisions if they can't even appreciate the gesture of handmade loving chairs.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Adam Vegas posted:

The tacit understanding with all Christmas gifts is that even if you don't like them, you act grateful and thank the person.

Then you place the aforementioned gift somewhere in your house where you never have to use it.

How is that so hard for her to figure out?

It isn't, but 8 wooden chairs can eat up a lot of storage space and they're the kind of thing the person giving them would expect to see out when they visit

which will be the awkward part, if they can't lie through Christmas they're just dumb

it's a super nice gesture/gift on the father-in-law's part, but it's also definitely an imposition and the reason some categories of gifts probably shouldn't be surprises

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Gluten Freeman posted:

that's a lot of chairs

That's the stuff! the oncoming disaster!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Who gives a poo poo if you don't need chairs?

Oh hey I got you a gift, it's 10 horses nobody wanted, ENJOY.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The thread has my permission to slapfight on the chair issue as long as it likes.

:flame:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Club Sandwich posted:

Holy poo poo nothing in this thread has made me as mad as this story. As a former professional woodworker, these people clearly have no idea just how labor and skill is required to make chairs from scratch. If someone makes you a chair, let alone an entire set, it means they loving love the hell out of you. Also, their "dark cherry" stained furniture is probably absolute horse poo poo next to whatever dad made and I'm sure their house is an encyclopedia of bad design decisions if they can't even appreciate the gesture of handmade loving chairs.

These handmade hardwood chairs don't match my laminate furniture though!

Seriously though getting an entire set of furniture to look exactly the same makes your house look like poo poo. I was in the business for awhile. Any designer will tell you the same thing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
24 chairs, that's like enough for a dozen Brendles!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Those chairs are a loving incredible gift. Really amazing. I have tons of respect for good furniture and quality craftsmanship. I hope that their loving gaudy loving house burns to the ground, except for those chairs which are now more beautiful than ever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also I guarantee that "dark cherry" looks like horseshit. That is the most incorrigibly nouveau-riche wood hue in the entire loving known universe since the beginning of loving time.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Its really easy to say "Be grateful for the giant expensive labor intensive present" when you are NOT the one having to receive the unwanted, unhidable, ruins the aesthetic of your lives biggest investment present.

Its exactly the same as how people always claim they would NEVER change *sports team* just because they were offered 100 million dollars. Easy to claim when its never going to be tested.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pick posted:

Those chairs are a loving incredible gift. Really amazing. I have tons of respect for good furniture and quality craftsmanship. I hope that their loving gaudy loving house burns to the ground, except for those chairs which are now more beautiful than ever.

No you see I would rather have a bunch of dusty old creaky pieces of poo poo from a dead person than a lovingly handcrafted gift from a dear family member.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

504 posted:

Its really easy to say "Be grateful for the giant expensive labor intensive present" when you are NOT the one having to receive the unwanted, unhidable, ruins the aesthetic of your lives biggest investment present.

Its exactly the same as how people always claim they would NEVER change *sports team* just because they were offered 100 million dollars. Easy to claim when its never going to be tested.

Their aesthetic is poo poo and they are dumb. Go find any interior designer/decorator and tell them you want every piece of furniture in your dining room to be from the same set. Notice the sharp intake of breath and the tightening around the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This is an opportunity for someone to buy 8 nice chairs for super cheap.