Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Gobbeldygook posted:

Amendment 2 allows MMJ for those with a 'debilitating medical condition'.

So if you can convince a doctor that your depression is comparable to cancer, there you go.

"i am prone to migraines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just doing some visualizing the timeline and it's interesting to look at state-level stuff by era:

1910s-1930s:

MA bans sales of weed without a prescription in 1911, and by 1933 more than half the states have criminalized recreational weed. Then the feds came and hammered down in 1937 and that was the end of legal weed nationwide.

1970s

Feds crack down more, ignoring a fed report that decriminalization would make more sense, so about a quarter of the states decriminalize small-scale possession to varying degrees during that decade, with "no jail time" being the cutoff for "decriminalized", some still made it a misdemeanor with fines, others a civil infraction. Interesting that the decrim trend totally petered out (as best as I can tell) once Reagan hit.

1990s-Present

Bunch of states start legalizing medical, starting with CA in 1996

2010s-Present

States start legalizing recreational, with CO and WA in 2012

Basically four eras where new things started happening all of a sudden, and then trickled down to the other states once someone broke the new ground. Interesting stuff.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Nov 5, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Wow, I may be pro pot, but if lived there I would so vote against such a blatant attempt to create oligopoly.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Didn't they waste enough money having that fail at the polls in 2015?

Oh this won't be a ballot measure. They were gonna go for a better one this year, because last year was the blatant oligopoly thing, and the legislature passed the worst MMJ scheme ever so everyone gave up on the. No smoking, edibles only, and 18 licenses planned so far. Only allowed for conditions prescribed in the law.

"HIV/AIDS; Alzheimer's disease; Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS); cancer; chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE); Crohn's disease; epilepsy or another seizure disorder; fibromyalgia; glaucoma; hepatitis C; inflammatory bowel disease; multiple sclerosis; pain that is chronic, severe, and intractable; Parkinson's disease; post traumatic stress disorder; sickle cell anemia; spinal cord disease or injury; Tourette's syndrome; traumatic brain injury; and ulcerative colitis."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MA with a fun outlier poll

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

It probably reflects reality. MA voted 2:1 for decrim and medical.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Compared to the polling up until this point it's an outlier, but that doesn't mean it isn't the most accurate of the bunch. We'll see Tuesday night!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
RI and VT will be the next ones to watch for Recreational.

For MMJ, Oklahoma had a procedural kerfuffle that prevented MMJ being on this November's ballot, so the dispute now is if it goes on the 2018 ballot or goes to a special election in 2017: http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/03/oklahoma-medical-marijuana-ballot-spot/64470/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RI and VT will be the next ones to watch for Recreational.

For MMJ, Oklahoma had a procedural kerfuffle that prevented MMJ being on this November's ballot, so the dispute now is if it goes on the 2018 ballot or goes to a special election in 2017: http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/10/03/oklahoma-medical-marijuana-ballot-spot/64470/

I'll never understand why activists shoot for off-year elections.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Who would have thought that someone who makes their living from prohibition would be against legal weed

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is pretty neat, mainstream Dems have been really squeamish about this issue and this is another sign that's starting to change.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/795340020395765760

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Aliquid posted:

I'll never understand why activists shoot for off-year elections.

Off-years suck because old/conservative people disproportionately vote, but a *special* election on Oklahoma I expect would be in our favor. At least nationally speaking, I think people who are really-really pro-weed outweigh the really-really-anti and are more likely to turn up to vote on that single issue.

MaxxBot posted:

This is pretty neat, mainstream Dems have been really squeamish about this issue and this is another sign that's starting to change.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/795340020395765760

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wikipedia has "Cannabis in XYZ" articles for almost every one of the fifty states and the territories, but it still has a few key weak spots.

If anyone is interested in writing a Wikipedia article for Cannabis in any of the following states, shoot me a PM and I can walk you through it if you're new. You don't need any prior existing knowledge, just the ability to look up facts, state the facts, and cite the source you used. Could be a fun project:

-- Alaska
-- Florida
-- Michigan
-- Ohio
-- Washington State
-- District of Columbia

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Nov 7, 2016

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I feel good on four of five of the legal votes, but Arizona looks to be a nail-biter. The campaign is saying it could be close enough we won't have a decision until a few days after the election, could be a margin of a few thousand votes or fewer.

Pro-weed forces have dumped a ton of funding into AZ last-minute; I think Dr Bronner's Soap alone gave them like $300k.

Meanwhile, the Catholic diocese in Boston gave $850k to fight Question 4; only Sheldon Adelson has given more against MA weed than that. MA still polling well however, this is the year the East Coast cracks.

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Nov 7, 2016

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If they all go yes, what is the earliest we could see actual stores open on the east coast?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

If they all go yes, what is the earliest we could see actual stores open on the east coast?

In Colorado it took a year for them to get ready for recreational and that was with a legislature that wasn't being obstructive, worked quickly and already had a robust network of medical dispensaries who just needed to get licensed to open.

It took Washington a year and a half to open stores and last I checked Alaska still has virtually no retail infrastructure in place because their legislators have deliberately dragged their feet in protest.

Oregon legislature passed a bill in summer 2015 a few months after legalization letting people buy a limited amount of recreational herb at medical dispensaries tax free while they got the rest of the recreational system in place for January 2016 when they started taxing it and letting people buy the full amount. But once again they already had a lot of dispensaries ready to handle demand and politicians who wanted to be proactive and start eliminating the black market as soon as possible.

So it largely depends on how willing the state government is to roll out the program, how much infrastructure needs building and how much leeway each specific initiative gives the state in setting up the system.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Chin Strap posted:

Per the text of question 4, if licenses aren't issued by Jan 2018 then medical dispensaries can sell recreational.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fat bossy gerbil posted:

In Colorado it took a year for them to get ready for recreational and that was with a legislature that wasn't being obstructive, worked quickly and already had a robust network of medical dispensaries who just needed to get licensed to open.

It took Washington a year and a half to open stores and last I checked Alaska still has virtually no retail infrastructure in place because their legislators have deliberately dragged their feet in protest.

Oregon legislature passed a bill in summer 2015 a few months after legalization letting people buy a limited amount of recreational herb at medical dispensaries tax free while they got the rest of the recreational system in place for January 2016 when they started taxing it and letting people buy the full amount. But once again they already had a lot of dispensaries ready to handle demand and politicians who wanted to be proactive and start eliminating the black market as soon as possible.

So it largely depends on how willing the state government is to roll out the program, how much infrastructure needs building and how much leeway each specific initiative gives the state in setting up the system.

Nevada had an issue where the MMJ bill actually passed in 2000 but they only actually got off their rear end to implement it (as in, allowing dispensaries) a year or two ago. The amount of foot-dragging on the issue really can't be overstated.

I'm hoping that similar doesn't happen with the 2016 recreational law.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

Nevada had an issue where the MMJ bill actually passed in 2000 but they only actually got off their rear end to implement it (as in, allowing dispensaries) a year or two ago. The amount of foot-dragging on the issue really can't be overstated.

I'm hoping that similar doesn't happen with the 2016 recreational law.

Nevada has alcohol for purchase 24-7 and incredibly libertarian. It'll pass.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Meanwhile, the Catholic diocese in Boston gave $850k to fight Question 4; only Sheldon Adelson has given more against MA weed than that. MA still polling well however, this is the year the East Coast cracks.

Wtf what does the Church have against legal weed

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

A hatred of doctrine.

It's like O'Malley never read Genesis, Mark, or Matthew.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

hmm according to this atlantic article

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/boston-archdiocese-marijuana-legalization/505997/

the opposition isn't really based on any theological grounds so much as because everyone in with power in the diocese is an old man who believes all the same trite myths as every other old man with power in this country.

quote:

Unlike many progressive reformers in the United States, though, O’Malley sees marijuana as a “dangerous drug that causes people to have problems with memory [and] ... reasoning.” He describes pot as a gateway drug to heroin and cocaine, and has argued that if Question 4 passes, Boston could “become a mecca, for people coming here as they do to Holland, Amsterdam, or … Colorado, looking for drugs.” His suspicion of marijuana marks his distinctively Catholic approach to reforming communities: He believes legalization would be utterly destructive to communities in need, rather than their salvation.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Right, those books specifically state that God gives to us all plants bearing seed, and it isn't what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, just what comes out.

O'Malley is contradicting JF Christ.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/796015979599892481?lang=en

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Medical marijuana will not be on the ballot this year in MO, a judge invalidated a large portion of the petition signatures.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

Wtf what does the Church have against legal weed

It might make people think for themselves

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

gently caress dude, you're blowing this whole religion thing wide open

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Medical marijuana will not be on the ballot this year in MO, a judge invalidated a large portion of the petition signatures.

IIRC, MO, MI, AR, and OK all had weed ballot initiatives nailed on technical grounds and either blocked from the ballot and/or pushed back to a later year.

I don't know if that's par for the course for ballot initiatives, or just their states pulling out all the stops to keep the question from going before the voters. ~~~~

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
If medical passes in Florida do you guys expect it to be extremely easy to get a prescription like in California or will it only be given to people going through chemo or with some serious illness?

edit: I see now that it's only for "debilitating conditions" in Florida.

AARO has issued a correction as of 23:16 on Nov 8, 2016

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

AARO posted:

If medical passes in Florida do you guys expect it to be extremely easy to get a prescription like in California or will it only be given to people going through chemo or with some serious illness?

edit: I see now that it's only for "debilitating conditions" in Florida.

Now we get to see Florida man do ridiculous things for medical access.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is colorado going to criminalize it again

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016
THIS IS NOT THE WEED OF THE 1960s!! - Actual text from Nevada sample ballot counter-argument

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Michigan was almost the 6th state to be voting to legalize in November, but their initiative got bumped on procedural grounds. Looks like MI and MPP are already eyeing 2018: http://hightimes.com/news/michigan-to-get-push-from-mpp-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2018/

In a few weeks I expect we'll be seeing a lot more about the 2018 battle plan, and/or RI and VT legislatively legalizing in 2017.

Midterm elections even worth targeting? Short of federal/legislative pushes, I don't see much happening before 2020.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Oregon, Alaska and D.C. legalized in the 2014 midterms so Montana and Michigan at least are good prospects for 2018.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Florida seems called with 76.9% in favor of MMJ. Congratulations!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

:derp:MA live results:derp:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

Florida seems called with 76.9% in favor of MMJ. Congratulations!

:pcgaming: hell yeah :pcgaming:

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
any MT goons know if i can start going back to a dispensary to buy dope?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so wait even though it passed in florida i won't be able to get a license over the phone or whatever

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They finally called it in Arkansas

:420: is go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is :420: go anywhere now that we're getting administration that will be enforcing the federal laws to the full extent of the law?

I'm pretty sure legalization just got killed stone dead.

• Locked thread