Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I have a good future ahead of me as one of those insane cackling court room attendees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

We're one step closer to the post-atomic horror!

If Trump is what it takes to bring about the Federation then I guess some sacrifices have to be made. Chances are most of us will be vaporized in the first seconds anyways so what do we care!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

If Trump is what it takes to bring about the Federation then I guess some sacrifices have to be made. Chances are most of us will be vaporized in the first seconds anyways so what do we care!

For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbors too
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve
And we will all go together when we go
What a comforting fact that is to know

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've seen more awareness of Tom Lehrer crop up in the last two days than in like my entire SA career to date.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I have a good future ahead of me as one of those insane cackling court room attendees.

I'm the guy with the useless umbrella frame

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I've seen more awareness of Tom Lehrer crop up in the last two days than in like my entire SA career to date.

It's going to be a good time to be a satirist. Assuming they aren't all executed at least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking it was because America voted for it to be the 1960s again.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Drone posted:

So when do the Sanctuary Districts open?

At least Sisko is gonna show up in like eight years to start some riots and save us from this hellhole

Right? :ohdear:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pikestaff posted:

Voyager honestly grew on me as I watched it. It's far from the best Trek series but some of the episodes were pretty fun.

Same tbh, it's neither TNG nor DS9, but there were some good ideas and good episodes in there, and the characters tended to be inoffensive at worst. Even like Neelix had his moments.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

And you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.

Same but for whiskey.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ohhhh poo poo Damar is on Enterprise, what a treat. Wow archer is going to flat out rob him.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Isn't there a social darwinist war after the sanctuary district?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nerdman42 posted:

Isn't there a social darwinist war after the sanctuary district?

No but there's a WWIII when genetically engineered super-men become the earth's natural elites and form brutal dictatorships treating humans as slaves or 2nd class citizens. This was due to a flaw in the genetic engineering that for some reason also made them evil and power hungry. Despite technology advancing for hundreds of years since, it's still illegal because they would turn into super-men and the federation will not tolerate a society where some of it's members have superior abilities. *is a multi-species nation where some members can read minds, others have super strength and intellect*.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

No but there's a WWIII when genetically engineered super-men become the earth's natural elites and form brutal dictatorships treating humans as slaves or 2nd class citizens. This was due to a flaw in the genetic engineering that for some reason also made them evil and power hungry. Despite technology advancing for hundreds of years since, it's still illegal because they would turn into super-men and the federation will not tolerate a society where some of it's members have superior abilities. *is a multi-species nation where some members can read minds, others have super strength and intellect*.
Bashir wasn't punished or executed or forcibly gene-modded when they found out about him. I think it is far more "treating intelligent beings as objects to optimize is against our ethical standards, in this case heavily informed by these specific historical abuses" than some "conservative reading of Harrison Bergeron" poo poo.

It looks kind of weird to us because we think it would be entirely natural to have an augmented arms race for optimal advantage for, presumably, ourselves or those in our group (however designated). We see this as such a fundamental reality and truth that we have a hard time considering that it isn't necessarily so.

Also, Khan lost a fist-fight to a free birth toad and was outsmarted by a small cluster of the same. Maybe these augmentations don't actually make you that much smarter. :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Augments were only augmented reletive to the people of their time. People of the Federation are jacked up on so much medicine and high quality education they can naturally run rings around past augments.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Genetic tinkering seemed to cause gooniness in the people Bashir worked with in those couple of episodes, maybe that's the real killer flaw. :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Genetic tinkering seemed to cause gooniness in the people Bashir worked with in those couple of episodes, maybe that's the real killer flaw. :v:
I actually suspect this is kind of the case, and may be the case when Silicon Valley tech heads start gene-tampering with little Skyler and Madison. Sure, you can tweak up their ability to multiply numbers in their heads or whatever, but what are the knock-on effects from that? Bashir was probably either lucky, had a gene-tampering program that wasn't that ambitious, or had an actual undiagnosed learning disability which was fixed.

What will probably actually prevent mass human genomic upgrades is that when there are fuckups on the children of the rich, the parents will lawyer up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking it was because America voted for it to be the 1860s again.
FTFY

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That made a lot more sense to me than "Oooh, we're still scared of Khan!". If your genetic 'enhancements' half the time leave your kid worse than when you started, yeah, that's going to get banned as unethical.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Look at this guy, confusing the Eugenics Wars and WWIII in the Star Trek thread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baronjutter posted:

The Eugenics Wars all happened in the mid-90s (and it was presumably more of a series of proxy conflicts than anything, considering Voyager went back to 1996 that one time and everything in Los Angeles was just peachy-keen). World War 3 happened around the 2030s or 2040s (I think?) and was more of a Cold-War-Gone-Hot scenario, with at least one multinational bloc going up against the other. I don't think we know what the western bloc(s) were called, but one of the belligerents was the Eastern Coalition (which was conceivably still a thread even in 2063).

:goonsay:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

Same but for whiskey.

You're drinking the wrong whiskey, friend.

Season 2, Unnatural Selection. Troi opens by immediately throwing Beverly under the bus. Starfleet didn't think they'd need any kind of quarantine chamber while exploring strange new worlds and no one has ever heard of a hazmat/biohazard suit.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baronjutter posted:

I think the idea presented in Space Seed (and Where No Man Has Gone Before) is that humans are naturally going to try to run things if they view themselves as measurably better than those around them, not that a particular augmentation method was flawed.

Also, keep in mind that many countries use fire hoses/water cannons for riot control because they work pretty well, but the U.S. doesn't because they're closely associated with the Civil Rights Movement. Japan has vowed to never posses nuclear weapons. The U.S. was once the world leader in eugenics until the Nazis took it way too far. Sometimes poo poo happens that makes certain technology distasteful enough that it becomes part of a culture.

Edit: I wonder though if the lovely augments were because the technology is inherently risky or if its because they had back alley augmentation. Kind of like how meth was never good for you, but it supposedly got a ton worse once people started cooking it out of Sudafed in their basements.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 10, 2016

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Bashir clearly considered himself to be one of the lucky ones because he came out halfway normal. Knowing Federation super tech, if the gene mods happened in proper facilities, the failure rate would probably be tiny. You could probably make a decent analogy to back alley abortions and a parent's right to choose (to augment their child) in safety. Of course, we'd never see that because the only abortion analogies Trek is comfortable with involve Riker murdering his clone. Besides, genetic engineering in Trek is just one of those things that's doomed to Always Go Wrong -- just like artificial intelligence, cloning, planned utopian communities, cybernetic augmentation, and whatever this week's metaphor for nuclear weapons is.

I get why most of that stuff is verboten, but the misty-eyed, square-jawed humanism of ~Gene's Vision~ can be a little predictable at times. It's nice that Bashir got to represent a "normal" augment, but they could have done more to question the essential premise of the augmentation ban itself. They hinted in that direction a little, but I don't think they were willing to rock the boat and it makes some otherwise good episodes feel a bit toothless. It's a fairly consistent problem with how the Federation is depicted. Usually, the Star Fleet way is the right way so when someone in the Federation breaks with the Star Fleet way, it almost always means they're wrong. It's a bit of a story trap because it makes for very predictable television when you know that, by the end of the episode, Admiral Ahab or Commodore Bligh is going to have his hypocrisy/alien mind control exposed by people who do things the Star Fleet Way.

I always felt that all the Maquis/Paradise Lost/Section 31 spies and rebels stuff was an attempt to remedy some of the weird statist excesses of the TNG philosophy (that or jaded gen-xers took over the writing staff). Some of it works pretty well and Inter Arma Silent Leges, at least, is a drat good episode, but they do a lot of dancing around the real implications of what's happening and use ambiguity to suggest stuff they'd likely get in trouble for spelling out (such as that Star Fleet leadership is either unconscionably corrupt or under the sway of a neo-fascist deep state). It often seems like they were indulging in oh-so-90s government paranoia while being very careful to stop short of actually saying much or making their hero organization look too bad. The result is a lot of stories (like pretty much the entire Maquis arc) that are wall-to-wall with suspense and political intrigue, but have very little going on under the surface.

The shades of gray on DS9 are great, but sometimes I would have preferred a little actual color.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I actually suspect this is kind of the case, and may be the case when Silicon Valley tech heads start gene-tampering with little Skyler and Madison. Sure, you can tweak up their ability to multiply numbers in their heads or whatever, but what are the knock-on effects from that? Bashir was probably either lucky, had a gene-tampering program that wasn't that ambitious, or had an actual undiagnosed learning disability which was fixed.

It wasn't really undiagnosed. He was severely mentally deficient, they straight up say.

We know the federation will do genetic engineering for medical reasons, they do it a bunch and Bashir himself modifies Dax so she can have half-Worf babies. It's doing it for enhancement's sake that's banned, and Bashir probably didn't make the threshold for being fixed.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

I have a headcanon where all the 24th century humans are learning calculus at age 8 because some of the the augments mingled with everyone else and now they're all 50% genetically enhanced anyways

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Echo Video posted:

I have a headcanon where all the 24th century humans are learning calculus at age 8 because some of the the augments mingled with everyone else and now they're all 50% genetically enhanced anyways

Kahn got a little bit Genghis?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
As I recall, the Khan-era supermen were not the product of genetic modification, but of selective breeding. Hence the Eugenics Wars.

Had genetic engineering even become a "thing" in sci-fi then?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

You're drinking the wrong whiskey, friend.

Sorry I only drink golden tequila from late 22nd century cultivars of Martian agave grown on the southern slopes of Olympus Mons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

As I recall, the Khan-era supermen were not the product of genetic modification, but of selective breeding. Hence the Eugenics Wars.

Had genetic engineering even become a "thing" in sci-fi then?
I think they were kind of clustered together. Keep in mind that they came up with Khan fifty years ago. I don't think genetic engineering was a well known thing at the time, but people would have remembered and known about "Eugenics" from, you know, the war. Which was about as long ago to them, as TNG being on the air was to us. Perhaps less time, now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking it was because America voted for it to be the 1960s again.

The 1960s was a time of massive positive social change, primarily in civil rights, while being lead by a warhawk. That's kind of the opposite of what's happening.

Nessus posted:

I think they were kind of clustered together. Keep in mind that they came up with Khan fifty years ago. I don't think genetic engineering was a well known thing at the time, but people would have remembered and known about "Eugenics" from, you know, the war. Which was about as long ago to them, as TNG being on the air was to us. Perhaps less time, now.

There was 22 years between the end of WW2 and Space Seed, 20 years between the end of the Eugenics wars and now!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

No but there's a WWIII when genetically engineered super-men become the earth's natural elites and form brutal dictatorships treating humans as slaves or 2nd class citizens. This was due to a flaw in the genetic engineering that for some reason also made them evil and power hungry.

lmao, that is purestrain OG humans, no engineering needed on that one.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Arglebargle III posted:

Sorry I only drink golden tequila from late 22nd century cultivars of Martian agave grown on the southern slopes of Olympus Mons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bill Shatner's got opinions:

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/796858945792937984

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/796886972832714752

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Well I guess we know why Shatner didn't sign that Star Trek anti-Trump letter from a while back.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shatner surprising no-one by being just a bit of a dickhead.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Takei has also got opinions, but is unsure how recess appointments work.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/796854677165973504

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gonz posted:

Takei has also got opinions, but is unsure how recess appointments work.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/796854677165973504

I mean, that literally is how recess appointments work. Obama is totally free to fill a Supreme Court spot as a recess appointment (Washington appointed Rutledge, Eisenhower appointed Brennan, Warren, and Stewart). It's just that the Senate would most likely reject the nomination during its next session --- something that has only happened once before for a Supreme Court justice, over 210 years ago.

If the Democrats had been able to get 51 seats in the Senate, that's almost certainly how it would have gone. Now though, it's debatable whether he'll even try it (he should).

Anyway, Star Trek. :yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Shatner surprising no-one by being just a bit of a dickhead.