Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cubey posted:

bernie will take the reigns of the party and whip these dumb fuckers into shape

Bernie is not even a member of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Internet posted:

Does trump plan on making more coal for these poor miners? Can they just make the bituminous into anthracite by getting rid of the brown people?

We have shitloads of coal still. Coal is dead because it literally kills you to work with it and tons of other problems. But yeah these people just hosed themselves and it's not really funny

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

All the polls were wrong she was flying blind the entire time.

Polls don't matter when you have principles because then instead of following polls you could actually have beliefs that you can recite from memory. DLC Democrats like Clinton abandoned principles for polls in 1992 to counter the Reagan revolution because being progressive wasn't winning them elections anymore so they just turned into Republicans, but here's the thing: that just means you have no principles or values and people rightly hate you for it.

It's why Hillary voted for the Iraq War. It's why she was against gay marriage. It's why she called blacks superpredators. It's why she's loathed by anyone who's ever had to stand up for anything unpopular and it's why she lost this election.

Jazerus posted:

she had a lot of appealing stances on a very wide variety of issues, and even ones where she was bad, like weed, folks who care about that issue should really be able to realize that voting democratic regardless of candidate was more likely to bring progress in the direction they want. if, as one of these eventual non-voters, you applied any analytical skill at all to her platform and the overall context of where the democratic party was going, you should have realized that not voting was a bad idea regardless of whether she has spoken about your issues in the last week. this is a persistent weakness of the democratic electorate, a component of its softness compared to the republicans, who know they must vote republican always.

Or one could do the natural thing instead of the beep-boop-I'm-a-perfect-logical-machine thing and tell the person who told you to gently caress off to gently caress off themselves. Turns out it works for the pot smoker guy too since neither candidate supported his preferred position he loses nothing but the candidate in the party more of a natural fit for his interests presumably needs his vote. That's why you don't poo poo on people who have positions that naturally lend themselves to support you, you eventually might need them.

That leads back to the point I made above which is that if you have principles, you don't have to explicitly support the Smoke Weed Every Day contingent because they know the person you are and whether you're likely to support them when they need you. When you go whichever way the wind blows, those same minority groups know that when the going gets tough, you're going to abandon them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

iospace posted:

Garrison Keillor wrote another op-ed. A taste:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin..._opinions_pop_b

moron

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Vertical Lime posted:

i'm a long islander and i say gently caress this poo poo

You got to admit that we live in a red state hidden inside a blue state.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pretty sure he's being 50% facetious. It's kind of his thing.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2016/01/donald-trump-and-politics-of-resentment.html

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cubey posted:

bernie will take the reigns of the party and whip these dumb fuckers into shape

hell :yeah:

I can't wait for Ripshit pissed Maple Grandpa thumping and his gesticulating-kung fu allover these rubes and educate the living fvck out of them

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

there isn't much that trump can do for many of the people who voted for him and even less he will do

this was never about what Trump or the republican party can or will do to help anyone

anyone with even cursory knowledge about the republican party, what they actually stand for, and what they have done knows this

that knowledge is lacking

oh, i guess trump and his people can take away the rights of women, so there is that. maybe they can turn unwanted children into coal instead of aborting them

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Yeah for real, he's saying bow out and let inept idiots deal with it as opposed to being the first to stand up against it

"Elite Liberals" were already complacent last night and look what happened

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Deep down, one thing that gives me joy is that it is obvious Trump did not want this job. He looked depressed as hell while everyone cheered. For perhaps the last four years of his life, he will get poor sleep, be under constant stress, and be under endless scrunity. This is what he deserves.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Louisgod posted:

A decent amount still went Trump, even after being systematically shat on by him

It's called being a religious conservative.

radical meme posted:

As true now as it was 60 years ago. I'm loving tired of people asking "what have you done for me lately".

I'm close to the age where FYGM is becoming a viable political philosophy.

You're in the group that will probably be the last ones to suffer from Trump's policies, and you're telling the ones who will be the first ones to suffer to gently caress off.
I'm afraid good sir that you're the one that deserves Trump.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

iospace posted:

Garrison Keillor wrote another op-ed. A taste:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin..._opinions_pop_b

My compassionate side says no but part of me is really saying gently caress the rural Trump voters. Because Trump is going to gently caress them so bad, big city "liberal elitists" will be fine, it is the poor and rural that will suffer most under Trump.

Part of me is like gently caress it, let them suffer, let them learn how badly they have been deceived by Trump and Republicans. Maybe it is a lesson they have to learn the hard way.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Covok posted:

Deep down, one thing that gives me joy is that it is obvious Trump did not want this job. He looked depressed as hell while everyone cheered. For perhaps the last four years of his life, he will get poor sleep, be under constant stress, and be under endless scrunity. This is what he deserves.

he's gonna break W's vacay record in his first term

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pook Good Mook posted:

Pretty sure he's being 50% facetious. It's kind of his thing.

God i hope so

Also: jesus loving christ the bronze colossus just broke every bone in Yinlocks body before exploding all his limbs and killing him....

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Read the coal mining quote above.

Hillary doesn't need to be pro-coal. She did not to make a link between "these regulations are good because X, we want to help with infrastructure Y, and free community college."

gently caress, even Terry loving Branstead knows enough to promise farmers in the sticks that the state will pave the county highways that is only used by agribusiness ethanol trucks. Jon Stewart pointed this out years ago. Democrats never actually sack up and say WHY wasting $2 trillion in Iraq and Afghanistan was such a tragedy. It wasn't because we couldn't afford it. It was because it was a theft from education, healthcare, roads. Things people LIKE from their government. Democrats are right on the issues but you have to actually sell that you're right, not just act like it and assume you can dismiss people who don't get it as "dumb."

I mean, they are dumb, but you can't campaign that way.

i know

i am constantly deeply frustrated that the democrats have good positions and refuse to sell them aggressively and spell out why republican domination of the last 40 years has led the country to poo poo.

it's just that you can't place all of the blame for a loss on the candidate when the contrast between them and their opponent is so stark, anyone who has voted before should really understand why voting in that particular election is very important. at a certain point it stops being just a failure on the part of the politician and starts to be a failure on the part of the electorate too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I don't know what y'all talking about with NY's subway being nice today. I had more train trouble than I've ever had before.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie is not even a member of the party.

If the party was smart, he would be.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/bryansafi/status/796520666069667840

bryan save me please

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Polls don't matter when you have principles because then instead of following polls you could actually have beliefs that you can recite from memory. DLC Democrats like Clinton abandoned principles for polls in 1992 to counter the Reagan revolution because being progressive wasn't winning them elections anymore so they just turned into Republicans, but here's the thing: that just means you have no principles or values and people rightly hate you for it.

It's why Hillary voted for the Iraq War. It's why she was against gay marriage. It's why she called blacks superpredators. It's why she's loathed by anyone who's ever had to stand up for anything unpopular and it's why she lost this election.

Yeah exactly this. Hillary is not distasteful for the scandals. Shes distasteful because she stands for literally nothing except getting votes. Shes a loving shell. Obviously Trump is basically the same (sort of different, hes openly self obsessed) but at least he had issues to sell people, and hasn't been a loving empty husk of a politician for 20 years already.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

LastInLine posted:

The primary job of a politician is to get people to vote for them, it's literally the first step. If you can't do that, you're a lovely politician and there is no doubt that Hillary is perhaps the shittiest in modern history. Maybe it means pandering but maybe, just maybe it could mean offering a different stance on an issue that obviously a voting bloc cares about.

I'm not saying she, or anybody really, has to pander to every group out there. But therein lies the rub and that is that that bloc does exist and if you don't want their votes that's fine too, but you don't get to bitch that they didn't support you when you explicitly told them to gently caress off and it turned out you could've used that support.

James Carville said something interesting last night. There were two factions in the early days of the Clinton campaign. One wanted her to reach out to those hurt and still hurting by the Great Recession, telling them how the Dems didn't forget them. The other wanted her to skate by, using her temperament and the established voting blocs who vote D no matter what. One side won the debate and lost the election.

If anyone wants to blame racists or white people or third parties and think the lesson is to out-hate the other guys, we're in for rough time in the weeds. This loss is Hillary's.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NecroMonster posted:

further clarification.

they would need to pass and/or repeal an amendment or two in order to do this

it isn't outside of the realm of possibility, but, depending on just how much "assume the worst" you are personally willing to do, you may or may not need to worry about it.

Hey, if Trump repeals the 22nd amendment to run again, you know who can also run again and kick his rear end?

Obama.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Three Olives posted:

My compassionate side says no but part of me is really saying gently caress the rural Trump voters. Because Trump is going to gently caress them so bad, big city "liberal elitists" will be fine, it is the poor and rural that will suffer most under Trump.

Part of me is like gently caress it, let them suffer, let them learn how badly they have been deceived by Trump and Republicans. Maybe it is a lesson they have to learn the hard way.

It's been like 50 years of rurals pissing on the same electric fence every two years though. How much harder can the way get?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Venom Snake posted:

We have shitloads of coal still. Coal is dead because it literally kills you to work with it and tons of other problems. But yeah these people just hosed themselves and it's not really funny

I know, I live in the Mon Valley in SW PA. Nothing but dead coking towns. Barges still haul coal up and down the mon, I still see the rusty stacks blowing in the air and the hill of deforested trees behind the power plant. I live in this "economic anxiety." This is going to be awful for this whole area.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

DryGoods posted:

The other wanted her to skate by, using her temperament and the established voting blocs who vote D no matter what.

Name of this faction?

Nevermind, I will dub them the Corncobbed Clintonites.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Shouldn't people be organizing for the 2018 midterm elections from the get go? I mean to try and curb the bad poo poo the Rs are going to try to do npw that they have control of Congress.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Covok posted:

You got to admit that we live in a red state hidden inside a blue state.

i'm actually in a pretty blue area

lot of latinos nearby

seemed like everyone was upset today

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Hey, if Trump repeals the 22nd amendment to run again, you know who can also run again and kick his rear end?

Obama.

Trump would be 78 years old to run a third term. He always looks miserable. Do you really think he wants to even do a second?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i literally don't know what can actually be done to help rural white voters at this point or any point going forward

they are unwilling to accept help, and vote against it at every turn and the options for fixing this situation are denied us

Covok
May 27, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

i'm actually in a pretty blue area

lot of latinos nearby

seemed like everyone was upset today

Amityville?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Three Olives posted:

I think that the poor and uneducated will continue voting for Republicans as long as the Republicans are the only ones making a serious effort to pretend to appeal to them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Guacamayo posted:

Shouldn't people be organizing for the 2018 midterm elections from the get go? I mean to try and curb the bad poo poo the Rs are going to try to do npw that they have control of Congress.

to what end? people were already projecting that 2018 would be bad for dems and that was with a hillary presidency and dem senate. they are turboboned in 2018.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

So lots of protesters across the USA.

Will the left have their own 'tea party' type group?

The left will be too busy infighting over idealogical purity and nothing will be accomplished as usual

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my sister lives in dallas and is legitimately scared

say safe friends

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DryGoods posted:

James Carville said something interesting last night. There were two factions in the early days of the Clinton campaign. One wanted her to reach out to those hurt and still hurting by the Great Recession, telling them how the Dems didn't forget them. The other wanted her to skate by, using her temperament and the established voting blocs who vote D no matter what. One side won the debate and lost the election.

If anyone wants to blame racists or white people or third parties and think the lesson is to out-hate the other guys, we're in for rough time in the weeds. This loss is Hillary's.

I saw that live and was reminded that of all the DLC-era Democratic strategists, he was always the only one with any grasp of what was happening between the coasts. They of course promptly ran him out of the inner circle in favor of yes-men.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

i literally don't know what can actually be done to help rural white voters at this point or any point going forward

they are unwilling to accept help, and vote against it at every turn and the options for fixing this situation are denied us

This is the sad part. They've been brainwashed to hate the only policies that may ease their pain. So, they won't accept it. Rural decay will not end till America really is just big cities.

Dang it, apocalyptic talk is too easy.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

In 1966 an American family with one breadwinner working full time at an hourly wage could count on having a home, a car, three square meals a day, and the other ordinary necessities of life, with some left over for the occasional luxury. In 2016, an American family with one breadwinner working full time at an hourly wage is as likely as not to end up living on the street, and a vast number of people who would happily work full time even under those conditions can find only part-time or temporary work when they can find any jobs at all. The catastrophic impoverishment and immiseration of the American wage class is one of the most massive political facts of our time—and it’s also one of the most unmentionable. Next to nobody is willing to talk about it, or even admit that it happened.

You know who I blame for this? Jill Stein.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Three Olives posted:

Well if W taught me anything it's that you can just point the Angry Poors to the guy who held the office before you. And that's what'll happen. And it will work perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Good evening friends. Everyone doing okay?

• Locked thread