Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Deified Data posted:

I encourage every black person in America to buy a gun if only to see the NRA squirm over how to respond to it.
Squirm? They'd probably orgasm to death.
The whole decline in the shooting sports over the last half century plus is largely due to the differences in urban/rural views and lack of urban accessibility to safe/legal ways to participate in the shooting sports, so having a huge new chunk of urban gun owners would, well make them orgasm so hard they'd at least lose consciousness. Not to mention there's a not insignificant chunk of NRA members, especially on this board in TFR and myself included, that would love nothing more out of the NRA than for them to quit being an establishment R party shill and go back to focusing exclusively on gun safety and training. And that simply won't happen without more -not- stereotypically republican gun owners.

Also hilarious how you folks are talking about arming yourselves against the government when in past threads generally you blather on about how the 2nd amendment is useless now because small arms won't help you against the US army's tanks or bombs or whatever. And let's not forget you'll have to lie on the background check on the part about being involved in advocating the violent overthrow of the US government, or straw purchase to avoid the check, so lol on that too.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

That Same Dude in Some Jail Somewhere posted:

My friends, I must say to you that we have not made a single gain in civil rights without determined legal and nonviolent pressure. Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to be more immoral than individuals.

We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. Frankly, I have yet to engage in a direct action campaign that was "well timed" in the view of those who have not suffered unduly from the disease of segregation. For years now I have heard the word "Wait!" It rings in the ear of every Negro with piercing familiarity. This "Wait" has almost always meant "Never." We must come to see, with one of our distinguished jurists, that "justice too long delayed is justice denied."

People be arguing in these threads that it wasn't the right time to press for civil rights because white people only care about things that directly benefit them. They're also arguing that no effort was made by Hillary's campaign to address white people economic issues because that same campaign also said stuff about people that aren't straight white dudes. When you point this out they say 'but it wasn't a good enough effort' and 'but no one was going to believe her', which are both true, but the logical conclusion to that is not 'so let's drop our social justice stances until the time is better and anyone not a straight white dude should just sit down and be quiet now'.

They've also tried to use Dr. King as a bludgeon against minorities, which is a thing that white people of all political stripes really love to do and just can't seem to stop doing, but quoting the less-popular-with-white-people parts of what King said makes them all uncomfortable.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 11, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

His "mandate" is complicated by his not winning the popular vote.

That doesn't matter. That's just an excuse to do poo poo you want to do anyway. If they can get 50 votes for it, they'll do it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lightning Knight posted:

No, we cannot have both things.

Economic populism without racism will always lose to economic populism with racism because this is a racist country that teaches white privilege to white people.

White people consistently dismiss minority concerns as secondary and consistently wish to downplay them in favor of white concerns. Hell LGBT rights are probably only so popular as they are because white people can be gay too.

The Democrats running on a no war but the class war platform and dismissing BLM, racism against Hispanics, and women's and LGBT rights - as Bernie consistently did! - will hemorrhage minority voters and white voters will get poached off by Republicans running on "gently caress immigrants, support police heroes."

Edit: like our platform didn't even ignore economies. We ran on free college and higher wages.

White people didn't believe us because we said BLM once or twice and said maybe don't hate immigrants.

Yeah yeah sure but we already tried that tho

Me personally I'm more than ready to take the risk with a true leftist. The age of neoliberalism is over. It didn't do poo poo economically for the black community. Move aside and left the new left take over the DNC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

Squirm? They'd probably orgasm to death.
The whole decline in the shooting sports over the last half century plus is largely due to the differences in urban/rural views and lack of urban accessibility to safe/legal ways to participate in the shooting sports, so having a huge new chunk of urban gun owners would, well make them orgasm so hard they'd at least lose consciousness. Not to mention there's a not insignificant chunk of NRA members, especially on this board in TFR and myself included, that would love nothing more out of the NRA than for them to quit being an establishment R party shill and go back to focusing exclusively on gun safety and training. And that simply won't happen without more -not- stereotypically republican gun owners.

Also hilarious how you folks are talking about arming yourselves against the government when in past threads generally you blather on about how the 2nd amendment is useless now because small arms won't help you against the US army's tanks or bombs or whatever. And let's not forget you'll have to lie on the background check on the part about being involved in advocating the violent overthrow of the US government, or straw purchase to avoid the check, so lol on that too.

I think most people are arming themselves against the bigots and not the cops. But obviously I'm not one of them.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
25... 25 US States are completely controlled by the GOP with the control of the federal government also fully in the GOP's power.

Still, conservatives will cry that they're oppressed.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Economic populism without racism will always lose to economic populism with racism because this is a racist country that teaches white privilege to white people.

White people consistently dismiss minority concerns as secondary and consistently wish to downplay them in favor of white concerns. Hell LGBT rights are probably only so popular as they are because white people can be gay too.

The Democrats running on a no war but the class war platform and dismissing BLM, racism against Hispanics, and women's and LGBT rights - as Bernie consistently did! - will hemorrhage minority voters and white voters will get poached off by Republicans running on "gently caress immigrants, support police heroes."

Edit: like our platform didn't even ignore economies. We ran on free college and higher wages.

White people didn't believe us because we said BLM once or twice and said maybe don't hate immigrants.

that is complete and utter bullshit.

you can absolutely have both, and what on earth makes you think that bernie didn't want both too?

barrack obama didn't have record breaking election results on the back of pluralism and social justice. he did it by promising people economic change, rooting out corruption, and ending the wars.

these are all planks that hillary clinton, rightly or wrongly, had no credibility with.

i want economic change. i also want pluralism and social justice. economic change as a priority will help both those things by giving oppressed people the resources to help fight for themselves and it will also get the people who support pluralism and social justice elected.

we're not going to make inroads and election gains by doubling down on a policy that just alienated millions of voters. we need to keep it, but we also need other things.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, and Lamar Alexander are our only hope of saving a shred of the environment

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boon posted:

25... 25 US States are completely controlled by the GOP with the control of the federal government also fully in the GOP's power.

Still not enough for a constitutional convention.

Magic-Doogies
Mar 5, 2016

by exmarx

Sharkopath posted:

Before I started reading these threads to make sense of the election I felt I was pretty respectful of the left wing because I was thinking naively that they had our general best interests at heart and didn't understand the distrust of white progressives I seen from other people in my life, but now that's really starting to plummet.

Being a progressive for non marginalized people becomes problematic to them when they realize that those that part of getting what you want is INVOLVES hard poo poo like protests and violence and armed self defense its suddenly placation and pleas of 'rationality' when they are faced against racists that are one bad mood away hurting them physically.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Lmao dude we all lost. There won't be enough of the country left to put back together. That's what white people voted for.

Get a loving hold of yourself. A century and a half ago we almost tore ourselves apart to halt southern whites from owning slaves (and yes, we failed those freed slaves after Reconstruction). This is bad, but we're not anywhere close to unsalvageable. If you truly think so then just delete your account and enjoy your last few years. I'm gonna loving fight because I want my nephew (and maybe one day my own kids) to live in a country that doesn't poo poo on PoC or keep them in the closet because the Bible thumpers think LGBT people are sub-human.

EDIT: Like gently caress this nihilism. People of color dealt (and STILL deal) with worse poo poo and still they fought on but Hillary and the DNC gently caress up an election and all the white posters just want to take their ball and go cry.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 11, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

That doesn't matter. That's just an excuse to do poo poo you want to do anyway. If they can get 50 votes for it, they'll do it.
Can still rub it in his stupid orange face. He's going to even more unpopular when some of these idiots get their healthcare taken away.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Scent of Worf posted:

Yeah yeah sure but we already tried that tho

Me personally I'm more than ready to take the risk with a true leftist. The age of neoliberalism is over. It didn't do poo poo economically for the black community. Move aside and left the new left take over the DNC.

I'm not a neoliberal. I voted for Bernie.

I don't think leftism would end as well as you hope it would. The last time this country undertook massive economic stimulus and assistance to the working class we shut out black people entirely. White progressives cannot be trusted.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

Like literally a vast majority of the country lives in urban areas.

A minority of the population is holding the rights of minorities hostage to their fantasies of easy jobs they can never have back.

so you're saying the system works

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

RaySmuckles posted:

we're not going to make inroads and election gains by doubling down on a policy that just alienated millions of voters. we need to keep it, but we also need other things.

Which policy?

It's that one where we were discussing shutting down coal plants for better energy sources, wasn't it? The one that looked to reduce climate change while spurring the future energy economy? That's the one you disagree with isn't it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think leftism would end as well as you hope it would. The last time this country undertook massive economic stimulus and assistance to the working class we shut out black people entirely. White progressives cannot be trusted.

They're convinced all the black posters have to be hillary boosting neolibs because why else would we have problems with them explaining why its time to move on and forget about the issues that affect us and start only caring about ~everybody~.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

By doing the things that improve the lives of both communites obviously. A new labor movement that has to include minorities this time. The number of people onboard should drwarf the people who would gently caress themselves just to make somebody elses life worse.

:allears: Oh, aren't you just adorably naive?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is anyone familiar with Progressive Democrats of America or similar groups that would be good places to get involved in electing Neo Bernie in four years?

If you want Neo Bernie, step one is to never, ever say the words "in four years" ever again. Elections happen every two years.

Deified Data posted:

The best part is minorities face the same problems white working class folks do so we don't actually have to choose one or the other. Some people disagree for some reason.

Actually they face all those problems a lot harder and also have a lot of unique problems that affect them and not white people.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

kartikeya posted:

People who think taking attention off of white dude problems for one single minute equals being ignored and abandoned are all over D&D and it's pretty loving embarrassing.

hi, just popping in to say that all the good d&d posters were banned five or so years ago

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Even Glenn Beck is for BLM now. Don't be so quick to turn your back on them.

edit: I'm stupid and got my tabs mixed up, thought that posts was near page 118 and not 65. Sorry for replying to something that is ancient.

Beck is a crazy attention whore with a large history of regressive behavior.

He only flipped because it looked like a complete blow out for his side, now that it's not he'll go back to the standard regressive bullet points.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 11, 2016

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So something just hit me... probably a few days months late.

Is the GOP just fine with Trump's proposal of plans and poo poo that will directly affect him and his businesses? Has there ever been such a big conflict of interest between a President and an entire industry (such as hotels)?

e: I think my questions could be answered with the blanket statement of "the gop if fine with whatever dumb bullshit they wanna do as long as they make money"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

haveblue posted:

A bunch of jobs are created to build the wall, then the political winds change and a bunch of jobs are created to tear it down. Somewhere, Keynes laughs.

One Republican superstar makes a career taring down one wall, another makes his career erecting one. Makes sense.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Lightning Knight posted:

If you believe that we can't do both, then it's basically over and we can pack the party up right now, and America with it.

The platform did include economics, but the Clinton campaign hardly mentioned it at all after a certain point in the campaign, which probably did not help turnout. After a certain point the campaign became all about how bad Trump is. And he was bad - racist and sexist and intolerant to religious minorities and to LGBT people. Simply pointing that out in a normal cycle would have worked, but for Trump it didn't, and there was so much bad to point out that the Clinton campaign stopped talking about what it wanted to do to actually help people, I think.

We do need both. Both because it's the best way to rescue the Obama-era coalition, and because both things are also the right thing to do.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Spaced God posted:

So something just hit me... probably a few days months late.

Is the GOP just fine with Trump's proposal of plans and poo poo that will directly affect him and his businesses? Has there ever been such a big conflict of interest between a President and an entire industry (such as hotels)?

e: I think my questions could be answered with the blanket statement of "the gop if fine with whatever dumb bullshit they wanna do as long as they make money"

There are no federal laws against the executive being involved with private business. Nothing lmao.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-business-idUSKBN1352GR

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't trust a lot of these white liberals who have cushy jobs, live in super white areas of the city and whose friends are almost all white. A lot of them were the ones pushing Hillary and attacking Bernie. A lot of them are the ones who are telling people to shut up and get back on the plantation instead of protesting about trump.

Yeah you're right we could get left behind, but that already happened with globalism. Black wages have been stagnant for a long time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fraction Jackson posted:

If you believe that we can't do both, then it's basically over and we can pack the party up right now, and America with it.

Yeah, pretty much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The people posting "hurr the platform needs to shift this way or that way" need to remember that GOP turnout was normal this year.

Trump, Romney, doesn't matter. There's a fixed number of R votes.

Literally all that's needed -- swing the details of the platform however you want, but all that's needed -- is a candidate free from the appearance of scandal. Electoral college majority comes back. So long as we support advancement (by 2020, reinstatement) of human rights, we can take anything from Populism Lite to full :ussr: and we will sweep.

I have personal opinions on where on that sliding scale we need to go (hint, I have canvassed for Bernie since the 90s), but it's not like we just watched the country explode in support for neonazi positions and public behavior. We hosed up and let the swastika out of the cage for the next four years. It's always been there, it hadn't grown in size, and if 18-25 voter stats say anything holy poo poo it has no future.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

You realize a lot of white people voted for Hillary right

Like, not most of them, but there's room for improvement among that demographic that doesn't involve "gently caress ALL MINORITIES FOREVER"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Has this been discussed?

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/796838538641833990

I'm for it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deified Data posted:

I encourage every black person in America to buy a gun if only to see the NRA squirm over how to respond to it.

I am part of a program that promotes shooting sports in Atlanta for all ages and colors. Would you like to know more :unsmigghh:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

The people posting "hurr the platform needs to shift this way or that way" need to remember that GOP turnout was normal this year.

Trump, Romney, doesn't matter. There's a fixed number of R votes.

Literally all that's needed -- swing the details of the platform however you want, but all that's needed -- is a candidate free from the appearance of scandal. Electoral college majority comes back. So long as we support advancement (by 2020, reinstatement) of human rights, we can take anything from Populism Lite to full :ussr: and we will sweep.

I have personal opinions on where on that sliding scale we need to go (hint, I have canvassed for Bernie since the 90s), but it's not like we just watched the country explode in support for neonazi positions and public behavior. We hosed up and let the swastika out of the cage for the next four years. It's always been there, it hadn't grown in size, and if 18-25 voter stats say anything holy poo poo it has no future.

https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/796789043040239616

https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/796789450537861120

https://twitter.com/nate_cohn/status/796846348045848576

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I am part of a program that promotes shooting sports in Atlanta for all ages and colors. Would you like to know more :unsmigghh:

Yeah.

What if someone wanted to use a picture of a scary dog as a target?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

disjoe posted:

You realize a lot of white people voted for Hillary right

Like, not most of them, but there's room for improvement among that demographic that doesn't involve "gently caress ALL MINORITIES FOREVER"

Everyone who doesn't want to gently caress all minorities forever already voted for Clinton. So no, not really.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Trabisnikof posted:

I think most people are arming themselves against the bigots and not the cops. But obviously I'm not one of them.
I wasn't clear on this but regardless of whether or not they join the shooting sports community it's still a win for the NRA. If nothing else folks will be hesitant to support laws that could put themselves in jail for many years, and most of those that seek training or help will likely see that the average gun owner is just another person like them. There's undeniably some real shitbirds in the community but on the whole we are pretty welcoming to people who want to learn safe handling and protect themselves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Actually they face all those problems a lot harder and also have a lot of unique problems that affect them and not white people.

Which is why I said "minorities face the same issues as whites" and not "whites face the same issues as minorities", I said exactly what I meant.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, that sounds like fun.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deified Data posted:

But no poo poo, visible minorities have been buying guns like crazy here. It has actually made me, a white male, feel safer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dean came out strongly against Bernie in the primaries. I think we need someone younger.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dean came out strongly against Bernie in the primaries. I think we need someone younger.

I don't even think that's the worst thing about Dean. In fact it's understandable he has a rivalry with a fellow Vermonter, but his lobbying efforts are shameful.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

zh1 posted:

hi, just popping in to say that all the good d&d posters were banned five or so years ago

Oh, I'm not embarrassed for this dumb forum, I'm embarrassed because these are people claiming to be progressives while running hard for the perceived safety of 'let's only care about white dudes'. A lot of them are fellow Bernie supporters.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's younger than Bernie.

Dammit I wish Sanders wasn't so old. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Everyone who doesn't want to gently caress all minorities forever already voted for Clinton. So no, not really.

I just don't agree with that.

Okay look let's take Ken Bone for instance.

Remember why he was undecided? Blah blah need a job blah blah want to protect minorities?

I don't know how he voted, but under your rubric he is absolutely irredeemable if he voted for Trump, and possibly even still if he voted for Clinton. No outreach

A smart Democratic politician with the right ideas could explain to him how we can make sure he has a support system and a path to a good job and at the same time let him sleep at night because his vote helped defend minority rights.

This is not zero sum.

• Locked thread