Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder how much poo poo you'd get in for making your own license plate, assuming it had your real plate number and adhered to all the general specifications (size, contrast, etc).

I understand that this is how license plates started -- you were supposed to paint the numbers right on your car or make a little wooden plaque -- and some European countries still don't specify the specific arrangement of the digits, just the height of the letters, so you can technically get some stick-on house numbers and put them on your window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe in most of the US you can't paint or restore plates, they want you to get new ones. Probably one of those things that never gets enforced because no one gives a poo poo until the cop is looking for an excuse.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's amazing those aren't swiped 5 seconds after you park it somewhere.

Yeah, had it happen twice. I RTV the bolts now.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

And of every car I see driving with high beams on, about 3/4 of them are 8th and 9th gen Civics for some reason.

From a ways back, but yeah, WTF?! I have had a similar observation and it's definitely separate lights. Do these cars just have crappy controls or an obscured indicator lamp? A self-selected set of drivers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

I believe in most of the US you can't paint or restore plates, they want you to get new ones. Probably one of those things that never gets enforced because no one gives a poo poo until the cop is looking for an excuse.

Cops will do everything they can to be dicks about plates. I got pulled over in South Dakota for having no front place once. The cop had the ticket written when he got to my window and when I protested that Indiana didn't require front plates he put his hand on his weapon and unbuttoned it. I about poo poo my pants. He ended up tearing it up and walking away without another word.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

In my province you can send your worn plate away and receive a new plate with the same number.

It's pretty limited, however, in that classic plates obviously cannot be reproduced and only about a two-year span of regular plates appears to be really bad for corrosion.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, had it happen twice. I RTV the bolts now.

Man, if you ever get your hands on one of them extra, I'd buy it from you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah there's a guy down the street from me with a WRX and black license plate SKYNET1. It pisses me off.

I wish they still made the "Golden State" style plate. Especially wish they made a motorcycle version. It's the prettiest one IMO

I started this derail by stating I miss that style :P

PCOS Bill posted:

PA's plates are generally pretty boring, mostly just "organization logo on standard plate" outside of stuff like the conservation plates. http://www.dmv.pa.gov/VEHICLE-SERVICES/Registration%20Plates/Pages/Approved-Organizations.aspx

I kind of want to get a Planned Parenthood plate to go with my NRA sticker in my window and the Trump stuff, etc.

When I was a kid I liked the plates that said "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" but it turns out that was actually a Quaker thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

I'd have that with "RENTON" on it.

For the uninitiated amongst us, this is the reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxgqHqakXc

Also you should watch it if you haven't seen it, it's loving superb. I'm not suggesting you'll be able to fully understand it or the accents though :v:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

I pulled a legit '74 Ohio plate from my grandpa's garage & registered custom Ohio antique plates using the same numbers, took the registration sticker and put it in the correct spot. It looked great on my '74 VW until I blew the engine up.

I kept waiting to be pulled over for 'fictitious plates', though being on a classic car probably helped that along.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ohio allows you to register antique cars using year-appropriate vintage plates.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought a lot of states did? If not, they should.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, if you ever get your hands on one of them extra, I'd buy it from you.

PM sent

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In my province you can send your worn plate away and receive a new plate with the same number.

It's pretty limited, however, in that classic plates obviously cannot be reproduced and only about a two-year span of regular plates appears to be really bad for corrosion.

In CA if your plate gets lost or mangled enough than that's it, even for vanity plates. So if you get rear ended and your plate gets ripped in half you lose those plates forever.

You sometimes see some real old vanity plates that are thrashed on newer cars because you can't get them replaced.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

To continue plate chat, I miss the old WI plates. Black letters on reflective yellow. The most boring utilitarian plates ever.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Funzo posted:

To continue plate chat, I miss the old WI plates. Black letters on reflective yellow. The most boring utilitarian plates ever.

Old MA plates were awesome like that too. White plate, reflective green letters.

They're still good too if the registration has been kept in good standing since you were issued the plate too, so you see them very occasionally still.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

UV LENS FILTER SPOTTED

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, if you have a plate, can you just keep it forever, or what? Or do they want you to get new ones every year?

Officially, the rules are very firm on size, format, font, spacing etc for UK plates, though you can get away with quite a bit of deviation - though taking the piss just gives the police an excuse to pay more attention, so I've never understood why people do it myself.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also you should watch it if you haven't seen it, it's loving superb. I'm not suggesting you'll be able to fully understand it or the accents though :v:
There's an episode of Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. where they subtitle two guys' British accents. I was pissing myself.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

So, if you have a plate, can you just keep it forever, or what? Or do they want you to get new ones every year?

Everywhere I've lived, you use the same plate until it becomes too damaged to read or you buy a new car. You certainly can transfer plates to your new car but it's pretty normal for dealers these days to give you new ones because it's less paperwork.

quote:

There's an episode of Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. where they subtitle two guys' British accents. I was pissing myself.

I have big trouble with certain accents, I can only understand them when it's getting piped directly into my ears with headphones. Something about listening to thick irish or scottish accents in the living room guarantees I can't understand what they're saying even though they're using a perfectly normal english vocabulary. The "americanized" english accents we usually get on public TV here are no issue.

Trainspotting definitely had to be viewed with headphones. Peaky Blinders is a recent entry to that list. I had some issues with River as well.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

License plates are issued on a state by state basis so there's a patchwork of laws governing how long plates are valid for.

In my state a license plate remains valid as long as you keep it renewed without significant lapses - IIRC less than six months. After that they require you to get a new set of plates, which only cost $11.50.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FCKGW posted:

In CA if your plate gets lost or mangled enough than that's it, even for vanity plates. So if you get rear ended and your plate gets ripped in half you lose those plates forever.

You sometimes see some real old vanity plates that are thrashed on newer cars because you can't get them replaced.

This is absolutely bonkers to me.

In SC, the plate is issued to whomever is on the registration, and if you destroy it they'll issue another one, whether vanity or regular.

OTOH, non-vanity tags expire every so many years, usually when they come up with a new awful plate design, and they'll mail you a new one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

I have big trouble with certain accents, I can only understand them when it's getting piped directly into my ears with headphones. Something about listening to thick irish or scottish accents in the living room guarantees I can't understand what they're saying even though they're using a perfectly normal english vocabulary. The "americanized" english accents we usually get on public TV here are no issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfSnaY1Wp_U

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Georgia's recent license plate design is terrible car stuff.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I assumed that was made up gibberish, but apparently my wife can understand him perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55iAwMXylo

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nevada actually has the best plates. I have some.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No poo poo, I really like the Idaho "nuclear winter" standard license plate. Red, white, blue, extremely recognizable from a distance, and hasn't changed in like 40 years.

Also, at one point, the world's plutonium came from the Idaho National Laboratory, so I think it's a fitting plate for that. Nuclear power plates are always the best.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Montana has a pretty good system, they come out with a new plate every 5-10 years but you can still order the older ones if you want. So my plates are from 91-00 because I liked them the best, plus they are from the same time as my car. Also if you want to track down older plates for an older car you can do that too. Or get new antique plates.

https://dojmt.gov/driving/license-plates
https://dojmt.gov/driving/plate-designs-and-fees/antique/

And then there are a whole shitload for sponsoring clubs and schools or whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Man, we get pretty much nothing for novelty plates in Canada as far as I am aware. In Alberta all we have that isn't the standard red-on-white is a "Support the Troops" plate but if that doesn't float your boat tough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Famous potatoes.

Jesus Christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No poo poo, I really like the Idaho "nuclear winter" standard license plate. Red, white, blue, extremely recognizable from a distance, and hasn't changed in like 40 years.

You mean 20 years? Because they ran green and white plates well into the 90's. I still remember the silly green mountains they had in the corner when the family did road trips in the summer and I'd see them on the road.

Granted, they've been pretty stable since then. Every other state feels obligated to redesign things constantly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo, you're right. I do remember the green mountain plates.

I just like that they're consistent. Even the custom plates have (usually) a red stripe at the top, and they try to trend blue at the bottom, to make it very similar and recognizable.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah there's a guy down the street from me with a WRX and black license plate SKYNET1. It pisses me off.

I wish they still made the "Golden State" style plate. Especially wish they made a motorcycle version. It's the prettiest one IMO

*LA Law saxophone intro starts playing*

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Man, we get pretty much nothing for novelty plates in Canada as far as I am aware. In Alberta all we have that isn't the standard red-on-white is a "Support the Troops" plate but if that doesn't float your boat tough.

Ontario has a ton of different graphic plates, but they just put a logo on the side, not a full background.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/choose-licence-plate-graphic

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Famous potatoes.

Jesus Christ.

Better than "Wander"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1LNtoML3jc

(ironically this clip looks like it was filmed on a potato)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

beep-beep car is go posted:

Old MA plates were awesome like that too. White plate, reflective green letters.

They're still good too if the registration has been kept in good standing since you were issued the plate too, so you see them very occasionally still.

They started checking green plates at inspections. My friend's mom put up a big stink about keeping her green plate when she bought a new car at some point and managed to keep it for a couple more cars after that. However, the plate lost its reflective quality from so many years exposed to the elements and it failed inspection and she had to get the new red on white plates. So I guess if you know somebody holding on to their green plates like their life depends on it tell them to garage their car and help keep them as nice as they can. The red on white are not bad at all compared to some of the poo poo in this thread though. Some of these plates look like loving tie dye t-shirts.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm relatively pleased with Ohio's current offering:

From about 5' away all of the stupid "Ohio buzzwords" in the background fade and it just looks like an off-white background with block blue lettering.

Far superior compared to the most recent previous plate:

:barf:

And the two that proceeded it:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Nunavut has the best plates of them all.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm from DC so I see lots of diplomat plates and when Ohio went to those plates I imagine there was some confusion.

Current diplomat plates are much more distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Haha you weren't kidding. Texas has a shitload of plate backgrounds.

:burger:

:btroll:

hiss

Amazing.

We got all that poo poo because they monetized privitized the issuing of license plates. Even though the standard plate is 7 characters, you can only get 6 on a custom plate, unless you win one of a few 7-character plates in an annual auctions. They also auction off interesting custom plate names (think sports team names, car models and makes) every year.
http://www.myplates.com/Auction

That said, I really like the white on black Texas Star plates. They'd look good on my all-black Cutlass.

Oh, hey, these are new!:

There's a lot of other pretty good designs, so I guess it's not horrible.
http://www.myplates.com/

e:

MrYenko posted:

Texas Plate Counterpoint: I think this is one of the nicest plates out there right now. The silver version is good too.

Dammit.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2016