Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The best time to shop at HD is when both the Bosch and Makita reps are there. The Makita reps are super rare, while the Bosch reps are usually there nearly all open hours.

They'll get into wars with each other over customers.

I used to look forward to that to beef up my Bosch inventory, but Bosch has pulled out of most HDs I frequent in Milwaukee and Chicago :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's been two years since I worked there in hardware part-time. Maybe bosch has pulled out. The rep in downtown phoenix was there literally 100% of the open hours. A lot of day laborers are packin' Bosch down there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

ColdPie posted:

I live in Minnesota. Unless you've got like a 50 yard driveway or are 60 years old, buy a good shovel and get t'work, you wuss.
To expand on this, also get rid of all your power tools. The Lord smiles to see a sweat covered brow.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Rnr posted:

I guess if you like being abused that's a-ok.

Haha this is the dumbest hyperbole. Hilariously stupid.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Robawesome posted:

Haha this is the dumbest hyperbole. Hilariously stupid.

While you're laughing enthusiastically and repeatedly tipping your fedora at the computer screen, I'll agree to disagree with you. Dewalt marketing is dishonest and speaks to the lowest common denominator, the more bigger number more better segment. Would you happen to be deeply invested in them, since you're defending something retarded like this?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I feel like I should post this here. You'll have to order online to use your code(s), but $15 of $50 is a really good discount and it beats buying coupon codes off eBay.

http://lowes-code.duckdns.org/

Oh yeah, I saw that on a slick deals thread when buying the 50$ 5 gallon shop vac they had on their early black friday sale. Took almost an hour to find a code that works and get it to work, but it does indeed work. (Didn't help I was trawling old comments and manually trying to substitute numbers before finding that site)

Protip: It doesn't work on sale items, but just add one thing, anything, any amount and it'll go through.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Power tools are overrated.

http://i.imgur.com/yvDfVVA.gifv

(insert wrestling joke here when replying)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay that's kind of awesome and I could use those guys down by my pond for a bit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Seeing those videos from Southeast Asia of construction workers barefoot or in sandals in shorts and a tanktop just makes me nervous. You're at a construction site what if you step on something pointy or drop something on your foot? :ohdear:

I bought that Ridgid 7in tabletop tile saw at Home Depot. Hope it works well!
My 3 year old was really excited that I was buying a wet tile saw because he thought I was saying "reptile saw" :3:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like how one guy keeps the beat with a tambourine, obviously a pro crew.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

Seeing those videos from Southeast Asia of construction workers barefoot or in sandals in shorts and a tanktop just makes me nervous. You're at a construction site what if you step on something pointy or drop something on your foot? :ohdear:

I bought that Ridgid 7in tabletop tile saw at Home Depot. Hope it works well!
My 3 year old was really excited that I was buying a wet tile saw because he thought I was saying "reptile saw" :3:

I used one of those little 4" blade lapidary saws for years for tile because I couldn't justify splashing 800 or so for a real tile saw for the occasional tile job I did. Then Harbor Freight have this full featured 10" brick/tile saw for around 200, so I broke down and, and :holymoley: it's a beast. Tight, accurate, does plunge and miter. I've been redoing my kitchen in 3/8" x 12" granite and this saw rocks.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

If one of your crew can't keep a beat you're totally hosed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

I like how one guy keeps the beat with a tambourine, obviously a pro crew.

Music has been used to sync manual labor for quite some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandy_dancer#Songs_and_chants
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_shanty

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

It's funny that you back it up with links.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slugworth posted:

To expand on this, also get rid of all your power tools. The Lord smiles to see a sweat covered brow.

Finally, someone who Gets It.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I'm looking to get a sander in that Makita $25 off $100 deal on Amazon. Will mostly be doing refinishing stuff (front door this year) and building a few projects in the near future. Is a random orbit enough or should I look at getting a finishing sander as well?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I've never had any trouble doing finishing work with a RO sander, you can get super fine sanding disks for it. Just don't rush, take your time and don't put a lot of pressure on the sander, really concentrate on keeping the tool level and moving or you could end up with a bit of a wavy surface.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

TheDon01 posted:

I've never had any trouble doing finishing work with a RO sander, you can get super fine sanding disks for it. Just don't rush, take your time and don't put a lot of pressure on the sander, really concentrate on keeping the tool level and moving or you could end up with a bit of a wavy surface.

I was curious about this as well after seeing and missing out on the Festool sander deal. I've had an inexpensive Hitachi for years that has always worked out well enough, but I would love to up my dust collection game, but wasn't sure what sander to go with.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

LET 'ER RIP

Finally got power to this bad boy today, runs great. It's basically this one: http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-HP-Dust-Collector/G0671 although with slightly different specs, such as mine is 5HP instead of 4. Need to level it out just because, but that's not a big deal. Might actually take the wheel base off and just have it sit there on some feet.

I'd like to put some better filters on it, though. Those cloth bags are like 6' tall, anyone know of a replacement higher-quality pleated filter rigid cylinder type thing that'd fit the bill?

e: Oh and that door on the right is brand new, too...got the high lift kit so it goes straight up the wall into the attic, instead of across the lower ceiling where my lights are. It's super baller and I'm really excited! It's a Garaga.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I worked in a mining lab crushing rock all day and we had these, I'm sure JET makes em im all sorts of sizes. They're good, cleanable, have an internal filter wiper but they're a bit spendy.

http://www.rockler.com/2-micron-canister-filter-for-jet-dc-650-dust-collector

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble finding them big enough. Even the flat bags provide about 5000 square inches of filter, each. Although I suppose a pleated filter is actually going to have MORE surface area, so I wouldn't actually need it to be as tall, right?

I gotta move like 3500 4000cfm through this thing. Don't wanna lose all my pressure just pushing through the filter. :/

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 19, 2016

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I'd like to put some better filters on it, though. Those cloth bags are like 6' tall, anyone know of a replacement higher-quality pleated filter rigid cylinder type thing that'd fit the bill?

Most forum posts and stuff I've read about dust collector filters seem to mention these dudes. So get something from them :D

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Cyclone or baffle that if you want to keep your filters clean.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I have a 2HP harbor freight dust collector that'll be dedicated to my CNC router, that'll also be getting a filter upgrade on account of the MDF I'll be cutting way too often, putting a cyclone on one of those is a cinch, as well as finding an appropriate canister filter.

I wouldn't mind putting a cyclone on the new (to me) big bad 5HP collector, but geez, that'd be pretty large. And I still need to find canister filters that are an appropriate size.

MrPete posted:

Most forum posts and stuff I've read about dust collector filters seem to mention these dudes. So get something from them :D

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

Came across that last night as well. Might actually call them on Monday to see if they have any recommendations for my particular situation, as it doesn't appear to really be covered on their website, and I bet they can either address my needs or point me in the right direction. Cheers! :)

e: Actually, it looks like some of their filters you can just straight up stack 'em, that'd get me exactly what I need. Nice!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 20, 2016

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Currently 10 time zones away on business, and buying tools online for stress relief. A kreg pocket screw kit, some extended length bits and a router are on their way to the house back home. I know the wife is going to be absolutely thrilled by this.

Considering doing a home run and ordering a track saw, which will be far more than the previous items combined.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Rnr posted:

Currently 10 time zones away on business, and buying tools online for stress relief. A kreg pocket screw kit, some extended length bits and a router are on their way to the house back home. I know the wife is going to be absolutely thrilled by this.

Considering doing a home run and ordering a track saw, which will be far more than the previous items combined.

Order some poo poo from South Korea and see if you can beat it back home.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

oxbrain posted:

A decent oiled pump will run forever. I used to use a 1/4hp pump running 12 hours a day to keep a bank of 80 gallon tanks topped off.
I really need to see if I anybody's inherited my grandpa's air compressor, and buy a new tank for it. (it's a homebuilt washing machine motor and an old Ford A/C compressor.) Maybe not the most voluminous pump, but the duty cycle is through the roof.

Lyesh posted:

kilo- means 1,000. It has meant that since the beginning of permanent data storage. 1024 and friends come from memory addressing as near as I can tell, which is why it shows up in RAM and on flash chips. I'm not sure when it infiltrated storage too, but IIRC that wasn't until after the 70s or so.
Probably because the '70s was when computers actually got kilobytes of storage, ya derp.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I would like some recommendations for a drop light/work light.

Looking for something like this. Definitely want LED because gently caress the heat coming off a halogen. Free standing a must, corded, and relatively small preferred.

If LED work lights are not up to snuff yet, I'd take any recommendations for a light that doesn't put out a ton of heat.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 21, 2016

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If you have cordless tools, they almost certainly have LED lights on your battery set that will be sufficient. Not great, but sufficient.

As for heat output, I hate my halogens all summer, but when I was working on my car in the garage all day Saturday and the temp barely got above freezing, I was happy to feel my fingertips in the warm light.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JRJE7Y/

I see there's a deal on Amazon for this Dremel pack today. I don't have a rotary tool, but I vaguely remember hearing (here?) that you don't actually want the Dremel brand rotary tool, you want a rotary tool from a different brand.

Do I buy it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delivery McGee posted:

Probably because the '70s was when computers actually got kilobytes of storage, ya derp.

You responded to a post from six months ago.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

canyoneer posted:

I see there's a deal on Amazon for this Dremel pack today. I don't have a rotary tool, but I vaguely remember hearing (here?) that you don't actually want the Dremel brand rotary tool, you want a rotary tool from a different brand.

Do I buy it?

I'm pretty sure Dremel is the one you want. I've always heard that and the Milwaukee one are pretty much to best as far as rotary tools go.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Looking for something like this. Definitely want LED because gently caress the heat coming off a halogen. Free standing a must, corded, and relatively small preferred.

If LED work lights are not up to snuff yet, I'd take any recommendations for a light that doesn't put out a ton of heat.

If you're a Costco member, my local warehouses have had a Snap-On 2000 lumen model and a CAT 1100 lumen battery powered (but can be powered via cord) model in recent months.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Do I buy it?

Im more than happy with my dremel, but I havent used any different brands to compare it to.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

LED work lights are definitely a thing! You want something like this flood light from Makita

It throws a large clear beam, screws onto any standard tripod camera base, and it's doubly awesome because it works on a battery or corded, and the light output is exactly what you would want from a shop light. Only thing that would make it better is if it charged batteries while plugged in.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you're a Costco member, my local warehouses have had a Snap-On 2000 lumen model and a CAT 1100 lumen battery powered (but can be powered via cord) model in recent months.

I bought the snapon one for work, and it's ok, but it's not battery powered, which I feel like is half the point of an led shop light. I picked up the CAT cordless one on an impulse, and I just haven't found a good way to use it yet. Without being able to adapt to a tripod base, it's hard to put it anywhere shining down on your work, and the light throw is too concentrated to be useful for anything but from afar. It wasn't useful working on my car, rebuilding a friend's computer, running wiring in the attic or working in the basement, because it's hard to find a way to set it somewhere where it can point it down at your work. It's a solid meh... I've tried to use it so many times and it just never works out in any useful way. Worst part is the charger isn't a standard micro usb, but a proprietary rounded DC plug (even though it takes 5v DC, which is exactly what USB puts out). Basically a great idea, but severely lacking functionality.

Apart from the Makita shop light, best LED light I've found are headlamps, like the black diamond storm or the Fenix hl60r. The fenix is almost too bright though, and the battery doesn't last as long as I would have hoped for (being an 18650 lithium cell).The red light is also useless, and there's no way to tell if you're on the brightest setting without having to cycle back through. But it is rechargeable and the battery lasts at least two hours which is usually long enough, and it is pretty bright. The black diamond storm wins overall though for great features like blinking once so you know you're on the highest setting, the batteries last longer with its lower output, the light is not much appreciably dimmer for most things, and the green light is unbelievably awesome for preserving night vision.

Hope this helps!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That does help. And thanks to the rest of you too. I use my headlamp now already. I've got a good Black Diamond and I already burn through AAAs fast enough as it is though.

That Makita looks good and is what I had in mind. I'll put it on my Christmas list.

I looked into the Dewalt lights, since I have a few of their tools. But I don't really like their lights that much.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Worst part is the charger isn't a standard micro usb, but a proprietary rounded DC plug (even though it takes 5v DC, which is exactly what USB puts out).

It may not be as ubiquitous today as a micro USB, but unless they literally rolled their own plug, a Coaxial power connector is hardly proprietary. :bahgawd:

vvv: Yeah, I know. I can fondly recall the days of searching over the house for the one wall wart that fit whatever gizmo I was playing with. Today's generation just has it too easy.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 22, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

It could be an oddball, non-standard size, though.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Do I buy it?

I bought the black and Decker rtx-b when this thread recommended it. My mom has the dremel. Back to back the rtx has more power or whatever so it doesn't bog down as often. It fits all the dremel tools and I think it spins the other way but I'm not sure. I remember thinking the dremel was for lefties because of how it throws chips in my face. The rtx has toolless changes and I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a ryobi and a dremel and the ryobi is a piece of poo poo, but I doubt that's a surprise to anyone.