Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

iospace posted:

WHO WAS PHONE

Rand Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scoop, if true.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

Why the hell not. Play parliamentary games on anything the Republicans actually want, work with Trump on the populist poo poo he promised.

At best, you get some populist nonsense pushed through and alienate Trump from the GOP. At worst, the Republicans nuclear option and ram everything they want through anyway so who the gently caress cares might as well dodge some of the "WAH WAH DEMOCRATS ARE BEING MEAN AND NOT LETTING US DO ANYTHING" Republican screams.

yeah they're gonna say that even if the Dems don't show up for the next 2/4 years

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Wrong thread.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bump_fn posted:

what is thread

sometimes i get angry for no reason and i dont know why but then i realize it was because democrats

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Clinton apparently confirmed that she had the nicest most luxurious meltdown on election night.

I would appreciate this link if it is real, tia

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Al! posted:

sometimes i get angry for no reason and i dont know why but then i realize it was because democrats

Same but I drink to silence my emotions. Only when necessary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hilariously LTTP, but I couldn't post because I was at work. While we were on that topic of STEM vs Arts, I notice that a common argument for focusing near exclusively on STEM is because we are "falling behind" many countries in East Asian who do not. I recall while working at a University we had plenty of exchange students from all over the world. What stood out to me was how the East Asian students, especially the Chinese, were anti-social to the point where they didn't experience anything. They didn't bother mingling with others or learning about the people around them. This was a stark contrast to all the other exchange students.

I feel that this connects with how so many Asian countries tend to be far behind other nations, especially Western in various social and political culture. Let's take Japan for example. The nation has been in economic crisis since the 90's. However, has since done basically jack poo poo about it. When "Abenomics" is seen as some type of rogue change in the field of government and economics, you know you lack ideas. I couldn't imagine a wave of political thinkers like Sanders or Warren coming from the country. It just isn't politics though, but business as well.

Any nerd knows how backward Japanese business is. You have the same fossils running the show without much change or say from young blood. This has resulted in the country from dominating the electronic industry, and has lost footing, primarily to South Korea and America. In contrast, the Western world is filled with companies shaking things up, at least relatively. Google is notorious for a lot of their products starting off from hobbies created by their employees, Valve is pretty much a cooperative, Apple is always engaging innovations for the next big thing, Tesla is doing that on a much larger scale by taking insane risks that only mad people would do. I just don't see these type of things in Japanese businesses or politics, and certainly not in East Asian politics and businesses at large. Do you think these plans and ideas were inspired by people sticking their noses in a STEM book or possibly in philosophy, political, or social science classes? I'd guess the latter.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie: we should work with Trump on improving infrastructure and maternity leave.

Thread: this is why Bernie is a courageous and smart leader! What a plan!

Any other leftist: we should work with Trump on improving infrastructure and maternity leave.

Thread: HANG THE TRAITORS!

If Dems think "block everything" is a Cool and Good strategy like Republicans do then they'd just be proving the Republicans point that government is dysfunctional.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

iospace posted:

He still needs to be fired into the sun for being an insufferable asshat though. :shrug:

he is insufferable but morally right :smuggo:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

logikv9 posted:

but jill stein didn't win!!

moral victory :smug:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

I would appreciate this link if it is real, tia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38008954

Here, laugh at a woman feeling the pain of a dream she has worked towards her whole life die, if you must.

MaxxBot posted:

If Dems think "block everything" is a Cool and Good strategy like Republicans do then they'd just be proving the Republicans point that government is dysfunctional.

Besides, improved infrastructure and maternity leave are two things Americans need, and getting it to the people even if it's under Trump can only be a good thing.

Nixon gave America the EPA, but the EPA is still objectively good.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Nov 17, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

redneck nazgul posted:

Why the hell not. Play parliamentary games on anything the Republicans actually want, work with Trump on the populist poo poo he promised.

At best, you get some populist nonsense pushed through and alienate Trump from the GOP. At worst, the Republicans nuclear option and ram everything they want through anyway so who the gently caress cares might as well dodge some of the "WAH WAH DEMOCRATS ARE BEING MEAN AND NOT LETTING US DO ANYTHING" Republican screams.

Pretty much. There's no way the party in the minority to the level the dems are right now can stop him, the best they can do is hold him to the poo poo he talked that was actually populist and fight him on the insane bits as best they can. The only real 'silver lining' here is so much of Republican messaging is based around 'well gee we're fighting the good noble fight but those godless minorities in DC are stopping us', and now they have zero roadblocks in their path other than ones they make for themselves. They're absolutely going to try to blame the Democrats for anything that goes wrong, but it's even more clearly an absurd scapegoat when they control the congress and presidency.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

:mad: let me talk to about JILL STEIN and why Bernie Sanders still has a path to victory

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nobody is saying we should only study STEM. No one has ever said that. Stop arguing against that point.

Fulchrum posted:

Here, laugh at a woman feeling the pain of a dream she has worked towards her whole life die, if you must.

I was mostly just curious whether that right-wing blogger's dubious unnamed source was right after all (turns out, no)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

*throws a baby tantrum* it's her turn ITS HER TURN ITS HER TURN *shrinks into a corn cob*

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

loquacius posted:

The idea that we should pay illegal immigrants the same as anyone else is such a basic one that I distinctly remember Maddox, the "Alphabet of Manliness" MRA guy, arguing for it like 15 years ago when I was enough of a dumb teen to read his website

There isn't an argument against it other than "I don't like the idea of immigrants being given money". It removes the incentive to hire them over citizens and it means that the ones who do get hired get a better standard of living. I absolutely agree we should crack down on businesses rather than immigrants, and be extra harsh on the ones paying less than minimum wage.

This has absolutely been my personal view of this issue since I read this like 15 years ago when I was enough of a dumb teen to read Maddox's website.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hilariously LTTP, but I couldn't post because I was at work. While we were on that topic of STEM vs Arts, I notice that a common argument for focusing near exclusively on STEM is because we are "falling behind" many countries in East Asian who do not. I recall while working at a University we had plenty of exchange students from all over the world. What stood out to me was how the East Asian students, especially the Chinese, were anti-social to the point where they didn't experience anything. They didn't bother mingling with others or learning about the people around them. This was a stark contrast to all the other exchange students. I feel that this connects with how so many Asian countries tend to be far behind other nations, especially Western in various social and political culture. Let's take Japan for example. The nation has been in economic crisis since the 90's. However, has since done basically jack poo poo about it. When "Abenomics" is seen as some type of rogue change in the field of government and economics, you know you lack ideas. I couldn't imagine a wave of political thinkers like Sanders or Warren coming from the country. It just isn't politics though, but business as well. Any nerd knows how backward Japanese business is. You have the same fossils running the show without much change or say from young blood. This has resulted in the country from dominating the electronic industry, and has lost footing, primarily to South Korea and America. In contrast, the Western world is filled with companies shaking things up, at least relatively. Google is notorious for a lot of their products starting off from hobbies created by their employees, Valve is pretty much a cooperative, Apple is always engaging innovations for the next big thing, Tesla is doing that on a much larger scale by taking insane risks that only mad people would do. I just don't see these type of things in Japanese businesses or politics, and certainly not in East Asian politics and businesses at large. Do you think these plans and ideas were inspired by people sticking their noses in a STEM book or possibly in philosophy, political, or social science classes? I'd guess the latter.

umm excuse me sir have you heard of the Nintendo NX? :smuggo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/799062661061296135

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hilariously LTTP, but I couldn't post because I was at work. While we were on that topic of STEM vs Arts, I notice that a common argument for focusing near exclusively on STEM is because we are "falling behind" many countries in East Asian who do not. I recall while working at a University we had plenty of exchange students from all over the world. What stood out to me was how the East Asian students, especially the Chinese, were anti-social to the point where they didn't experience anything. They didn't bother mingling with others or learning about the people around them. This was a stark contrast to all the other exchange students. I feel that this connects with how so many Asian countries tend to be far behind other nations, especially Western in various social and political culture. Let's take Japan for example. The nation has been in economic crisis since the 90's. However, has since done basically jack poo poo about it. When "Abenomics" is seen as some type of rogue change in the field of government and economics, you know you lack ideas. I couldn't imagine a wave of political thinkers like Sanders or Warren coming from the country. It just isn't politics though, but business as well. Any nerd knows how backward Japanese business is. You have the same fossils running the show without much change or say from young blood. This has resulted in the country from dominating the electronic industry, and has lost footing, primarily to South Korea and America. In contrast, the Western world is filled with companies shaking things up, at least relatively. Google is notorious for a lot of their products starting off from hobbies created by their employees, Valve is pretty much a cooperative, Apple is always engaging innovations for the next big thing, Tesla is doing that on a much larger scale by taking insane risks that only mad people would do. I just don't see these type of things in Japanese businesses or politics, and certainly not in East Asian politics and businesses at large. Do you think these plans and ideas were inspired by people sticking their noses in a STEM book or possibly in philosophy, political, or social science classes? I'd guess the latter.

Sir, the question was "Do you know what paragraphs are?"

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fulchrum posted:

ok

*stares at reports that her lovely staff ignored please from the rustbelt for GOTV help and money*

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Watched Bernie's speech.

I am afraid for his safety.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Beachcomber posted:

Watched Bernie's speech.

Why?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Watched Bernie's speech.

If Bernie died in any kind of foul play there would be riots everywhere

we would probably enter into a period of political violence like Colombia's La Violencia. The Republicans have already been planting the seeds of dehumanizing protesters and the other side...

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

punk rebel ecks posted:

umm, kaizen much?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

iospace posted:

Sir, the question was "Do you know what paragraphs are?"

I'll fix it sure.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

did your liberal arts education mention paragraphs at all

or is that "spacist"

on second though there is too way much whitespace in text

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

same

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

comingafteryouall posted:

If Bernie died in any kind of foul play there would be riots everywhere

we would probably enter into a period of political violence like Colombia's La Violencia. The Republicans have already been planting the seeds of dehumanizing protesters and the other side...

Which is actually sounding really dangerous.

The man is 75. He could just die of natural causes, but in this climate, many people wouldn't believe it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

loquacius posted:

Nobody is saying we should only study STEM. No one has ever said that. Stop arguing against that point.

I was mostly just curious whether that right-wing blogger's dubious unnamed source was right after all (turns out, no)

I was taking artistic license there. ;)
Anyways Clinton bad and feel the 🔥

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

Obama camp is apparently apoplectic at losing total control over the party and that Bernie is ascendant lol. Doubly so at all the establishment bending the knee to "Actual socialists"

ive been holding this in for 4 years now

Obummer was basically bill Clinton except he managed to kill osama

Dude was mostly worthless as a president after he stabilized the economy

Squandered his majority

Defunded the DNC

And did bothing to oppose the GOP

But he is a pleasant guy in person

now he is doing the standard speech about globalization being irreversible

Good riddance

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fulchrum posted:

Which is actually sounding really dangerous.

The man is 75. He could just die of natural causes, but in this climate, many people wouldn't believe it.

He could be visited by the mysterious Scalia pillow murderer.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I like Obama re: the Dakota pipeline.

He said, on national news, that the Army Corps of Engineers was "looking into it," or something. Of course, all of industry was in shock because no one had told them anything of the sort. Of course, no one in the Army Corps of Engineers had ever heard anything of the sort, either. Obama just loving says poo poo that he thinks is the right thing to say, but what he says has nothing to do with what's happening in reality.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fulchrum posted:

The man got booed off stage at a charity dinner.

whats not funny about that, idiot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bernie is really coming into his own as a resistance leader

Which is kind of what he was during the primary too come to think of it, just more so now

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Top City Homo posted:

ive been holding this in for 4 years now

Dude was mostly worthless as a president after he stabilized the economy

Squandered his majority

Defunded the DNC

And did bothing to oppose the GOP

But he is a pleasant guy in person

now he is doing the standard speech about globalization being irreversible

Good riddance
obama is a nice guy, his problem is that he was too malleable, so he became just another part of the machine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

Obama's great foreign policy victory was the assassination of a man under house arrest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lifting from elsewhere:

Crazy Ted posted:

And yeah I already put this in the election thread but everyone needs to read this because good lord

quote:

In politics, much like anything else, victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan. A senior official from Clinton’s campaign noted that they did have a large staff presence in Michigan and Wisconsin (200 and 180 people respectively) while also stressing that one of the reasons they didn’t do more was, in part, because of psychological games they were playing with the Trump campaign. They recognized that Michigan, for example, was a vulnerable state and felt that if they could keep Trump away ― by acting overly confident about their chances ― they would win it by a small margin and with a marginal resource allocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Holy crap what? They had more money than the Trump campaign, why not steamroll him? Oh, right, kickbacks and embezzlement.

• Locked thread