Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The US does not consider them POWs nor does it throw most of them in gitmo. Most are turned over to Iraqi or Afghan forces. Then there are those spirited off to secret CIA places and what not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hogmartin posted:

I don't know about the DP-27, but it's plausible that they could have runaways and that disengaging the magazine would stop it. I've heard stories of M240 runaways stopped by pulling off the bag that holds the ammo belt (known as 'ripping off the nutsack') but that's anecdotal too so who knows.

^^^^^^
yeah, just grabbing the magazine wouldn't do anything, you'd have to wrench it to make it misfeed or something.

I think this was one of the things that had to be done with the M60, as the sear had a nasty habit of wearing out and causing a runaway gun. You just violently twist the belt to jam the feed and potentially break the links.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Well What Now posted:

Here's the first one I could find.

The problem is that they're in international waters so there's not really a way to stop it unless you constantly patrol the wreck sites, and shipwrecks are full of high-quality metals that are a salvager's bread and butter.

Thank you, someone also linked me an article from a couple years back about how the Prince of Wales and the Repulse are being "Salvaged" too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

What if it's the...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibWxhwcZI_w

:ghost: :pirate:?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Don't you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q3DyT8ur30 ?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

So it's a gun that fires the instant you chamber a round? Why on earth would you want that?

Don't really know poo poo about artillery but that's either a faulty round or he loaded it too roughly. (maybe both?)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well What Now posted:

This has been happening for a century to World War One shipwrecks in the North Sea and nobody seems to have given a drat.

Yeah, I heard. They usually target the brass and copper.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this was one of the things that had to be done with the M60, as the sear had a nasty habit of wearing out and causing a runaway gun. You just violently twist the belt to jam the feed and potentially break the links.

That's how you stop runaways on the 240, as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A curious facet of sunken WW2 ships.

They have an almost unique quality, they are one of the few sources in the world of low-background steel, whch is to say, steel which is minimally radioactive.

All steel, anywhere in the world, made since the invention and subsequent test detonations of atomic weaponry, is contaminated with radioactive elements deposited in the air as part of the smelting process, and in recycled steel which is used heavily in the manufacture of new steel across the globe.

The primary source for low background steel is, well, shipwrecks that have been underwater since before atomic testing became prolific, so over about eighty years old.

Such steel is important for the production of radiologically inert equipment like geiger counters.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's actually really interesting, and I never considered it. All the ships the Germans scuttled in Scapa Flow are probably another good and easily accessible source, right? Or is the WWI vintage steel too low quality or something?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

That's actually really interesting, and I never considered it. All the ships the Germans scuttled in Scapa Flow are probably another good and easily accessible source, right? Or is the WWI vintage steel too low quality or something?

No, I think Scapa's been the main source due to availability. And because, you know, you're not desacrating someone's grave by doing so...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Crazycryodude posted:

The ones that were sank in shallow waters were all savaged by an intrepid Scotsman and his maritime salvage company in the 20 or so years between the wars.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I heard. They usually target the brass and copper.

Local scrapyard offers this per kg:

mixed scrap 0,10 €
lead 1,20 €
stainless / high-grade steel 0,70 €
stellite / carbide 6,50 €
copper 4,00 €
brass 2,60 €
tin 6,00 €
zinc 1,20 €

I can see grabbing the screws but I have no idea what would make lifting a whole wreck, as the news reports seem to suggest has happened, worthwhile. Is there a major component made of of pure copper in a WW2 ship? Generators or electric motors maybe. Or the power plant?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Didn't someone mention that pre-nuke steel is actually fairly valuable right now?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love how a neutral Austrian-Hungarian Imperial army more or less shortened the Crimean War without firing a shot.

How?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DiHK posted:

Long time reader, first time poster, love the thread.

Does anybody know where I might find some unit specifics about the French side of the French & Indian war? Like, in english and online (I'll probably pick up the osprey book on it, I really just want to look into the French regulars).

Well, the local Canadien regular/standing units were Les Compagnies Franches de la Marine who did the heavy lifting in the early part of the war along with Canadien militia and native allies.

Regular regiments in Nouvelle France are listed here: http://www.militaryheritage.com/charts/7warchtf.htm You can find some good information on them.

I hope you have good Quebecer patois because most of the sources that I've found are in Canadian French. This is a good quick overview of prewar organization of the militia et al: http://www.militaryheritage.com/nfrance.htm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The Imperial Russian army had occupied the Danubian Principalities since the early 1830's after one of the wars with the Ottomans to protect the followers of their faith and totally not try to spread Imperial Russian sphere of influence!, the area itself was going through one of the many tremors of the awaking nationalism movements brought about by the independence of Greece.

During the Danube campaign fought by Imperial Russia and the Ottomans the military activity was getting a bit too close for comfort for the still neutral Austrian-Hungarian Empire who had recently just signed a defensive treaty with the Prussians so they moved an army to Transylvania and since the campaign seemed to be stalling at the siege of Silistra (which they almost hilariously won!) and going in the favour of the Ottoman forces the Tsar decided that this poo poo wasn't worth it as apparently the Serbians and Bulgarians didn't give a gently caress about who their Imperial Overlords were and ordered his forces back across the border back into Russian Empire territory.

This was good news to the Anglo-French forces chilling (dying of cholera) at Varna as they didn't have to drag the Ottomans into their slowly growing clusterfuck and began to plan and assemble for going into the Crimea. Which sounded at the time especially to the politicans back home as easy as pie.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Just watched Arrival, dumb thing I've been wondering for a while: in fiction, why is it so often a colonel in charge of these world-defining projects (in this case first contact with aliens) rather than a higher rank like a general?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Some sort of Hollywood cliche I suppose. I always wonder with these movies Why is the military ever even in charge rather than the state dept or some politician :shrug:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Koramei posted:

Just watched Arrival, dumb thing I've been wondering for a while: in fiction, why is it so often a colonel in charge of these world-defining projects (in this case first contact with aliens) rather than a higher rank like a general?

I assume it's because the Manhattan Project was initially run by a colonel and no one does any research beyond looking that fact up on Wikipedia. Ironically, the second head of the project got promoted from colonel to general upon taking the role.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

The US does not consider them POWs nor does it throw most of them in gitmo. Most are turned over to Iraqi or Afghan forces. Then there are those spirited off to secret CIA places and what not

Yeah, but what do the Iraqis/Afghans do with them? Surely they can't keep them all locked up indefinitely, but there's no enemy nation (that they acknowledge) to send them back to, and the conflict's still going, so what do they do with them?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but what do the Iraqis/Afghans do with them? Surely they can't keep them all locked up indefinitely, but there's no enemy nation (that they acknowledge) to send them back to, and the conflict's still going, so what do they do with them?

:commissar:

Actually, sometimes that (if they've really pissed someone off), sometimes ransomed out (if someone is willing to pay), sometimes straight-up released (maybe by friends, maybe by the compassionate, I expect more by "I'm sick and tired of looking at this rear end in a top hat"), and occasionally, uh, just kinda forgotten and ignored.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

FastestGunAlive posted:

Some sort of Hollywood cliche I suppose. I always wonder with these movies Why is the military ever even in charge rather than the state dept or some politician :shrug:

Probably because an alien civilization capable of crossing the inconceivably vast distance between Klendathu and Earth is most likely also capable of glassing Earth on demand, so it would be in humanity's best interest to have a finger hovering over the "gently caress Off" button in the likely case that the Ethereals aren't coming in peace.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Fetishising the military is pretty much the one thing that has wide bipartisan support in the US.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Fetishising the military is pretty much the one thing that has wide bipartisan support in the US.
i know this isn't what you meant, but remember when i talked about how guys were hot sex objects back in the early modern period? well around the 18th, 19th century that starts to change--men are the people who look at, not the people who are looked at; the people who desire, not the people who are desired. But there are a few exceptions, and one of them is soldiers. Soldiers still spend a vast amount of time fussing over their appearance (more than they used to in the 17th century, since we have uniforms now and everyone's supposed to look alike, etc)--soldiers are still an object of desire. Whose desire, though?

The whole thing got kinda gay

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Argus Zant posted:

Probably because an alien civilization capable of crossing the inconceivably vast distance between Klendathu and Earth is most likely also capable of glassing Earth on demand, so it would be in humanity's best interest to have a finger hovering over the "gently caress Off" button in the likely case that the Ethereals aren't coming in peace.

That makes sense but the military doesn't typically take the lead on anything outside full on war- and even then, politicians are calling shots at the highest level. Definitely not some colonel. Lots of agencies and departments tell the military where when and how to color all the time. Then again it's a pretty big what if scenario so eh

Fangz posted:

Sounds about right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

i know this isn't what you meant, but remember when i talked about how guys were hot sex objects back in the early modern period? well around the 18th, 19th century that starts to change--men are the people who look at, not the people who are looked at; the people who desire, not the people who are desired. But there are a few exceptions, and one of them is soldiers. Soldiers still spend a vast amount of time fussing over their appearance (more than they used to in the 17th century, since we have uniforms now and everyone's supposed to look alike, etc)--soldiers are still an object of desire. Whose desire, though?

that's a lot of highlighting I can't read :(

E: wait, now I can read it? Wtf Google, make up your mind.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

that's a lot of highlighting I can't read :(

E: wait, now I can read it? Wtf Google, make up your mind.
the only word you need highlighted in pp. 95-98 is 'homosexual'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The stereotypical person for a British male politician to be caught bonking back when being gay was illegal was a Guardsman, and that was back in the 1950s.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

the only word you need highlighted in pp. 95-98 is 'homosexual'

Well this is what I was seeing at first

Now I can actually read it for some reason

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

>Ask Us About Military History Mk III: the whole thing got kinda gay

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

if that's tilly, chances are the guy is supposed to be from Spain, where there were a bunch of darker skinned people--either slaves or otherwise.

Reminder that only a few centuries before, the southern bit of Spain was part of the Arab world and had a lot of people travelling back and forth from what is now Algeria and Morocco...

(and a few centuries before that the Arab world stretched from modern day Pakistan/Afghanistan/northern India and north Africa all the way up to the Pyrenees pretty much; Al-Andalus and the taifa kingdoms are a p interesting area of history and I can recommend Guy Gavriel Kay's 'The Lions of al-Rassan' which is set in that period but with the serial numbers filed off, if you're into historical/fantasy fiction).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

>Ask Us About Military History Mk III: the whole thing is kinda gay (in the non-pejorative sense)

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Ensign Expendable posted:

Modern loanwords might use Kh instead of G, but for existing ones it's still very much G: Gitler, Gollandia, Goplit, etc.

Gitler sounds like the world's worst-named racehorse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

>Ask Us About Military History Mk III: the whole thing is kinda gay (in the non-pejorative sense)

...happy?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

The stereotypical person for a British male politician to be caught bonking back when being gay was illegal was a Guardsman, and that was back in the 1950s.

Who wouldn't want a big gay grenadier guard to cuddle up too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bugger, should have picked that as my username.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

feedmegin posted:

quote:

Winston Churchill, then Prime Minister, was once woken in the early morning by his aide with the bad news that a sex scandal was going to appear in the newspapers.

He was told that one of his backbench MPs had been frolicking with a Guardsman in St. James' Park in the middle of the night.

Churchill thought for a moment upon being told the news and asked "It was very cold last night wasn't it?"

His aide hesitated and responded with "Yes sir, it was the coldest night in 30 years I believe".

Churchill smiled and said "It makes you proud to be British doesn't it?"

Who knows if he said that or not, but it pleases me immensely.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Gay? The military? Why I never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Reminder that only a few centuries before, the southern bit of Spain was part of the Arab world and had a lot of people travelling back and forth from what is now Algeria and Morocco...

(and a few centuries before that the Arab world stretched from modern day Pakistan/Afghanistan/northern India and north Africa all the way up to the Pyrenees pretty much; Al-Andalus and the taifa kingdoms are a p interesting area of history and I can recommend Guy Gavriel Kay's 'The Lions of al-Rassan' which is set in that period but with the serial numbers filed off, if you're into historical/fantasy fiction).

Europe in the past was a bit more diverse than most people realize. I recommend following http://medievalpoc.tumblr.com/ and https://twitter.com/medievalpoc.