Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm sure its fine but everything surrounding it is absolutely insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I think someone here posted that Hamilton was the worst thing to happen to podcasts in 2016 and I whole heartedly agree

True

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It's revisionist rap for rich white ppl to enjoy. It lets them enjoy the founding of our country without, you know, the slavery thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that Earwolf has a Hamilton podcast and it's up to episode 14.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The guy who wrote it hosted SNL and his monologue was technically really good but holy poo poo was it cringeworthy. I'm not sure I could sit through 2 hours of that. Maybe you have to not like hip hop to get it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It's also literal as hell rapping, makes it sound like a school project

quote:

[HAMILTON]
I am not throwing away my shot!
I am not throwing away my shot!
Hey yo, I’m just like my country
I’m young, scrappy and hungry
And I’m not throwing away my shot!
I’m ‘a get a scholarship to King’s College
I prob’ly shouldn’t brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish
The problem is I got a lot of brains but no polish
I gotta holler just to be heard
With every word, I drop knowledge!
I’m a diamond in the rough, a shiny piece of coal
Tryin’ to reach my goal. My power of speech: unimpeachable
Only nineteen but my mind is older
These New York City streets get colder, I shoulder
Ev’ry burden, ev’ry disadvantage
I have learned to manage, I don’t have a gun to brandish
I walk these streets famished
The plan is to fan this spark into a flame
But drat, it’s getting dark, so let me spell out the name
I am the—

[HAMILTON/LAFAYETTE/MULLIGAN/LAURENS]
A-L-E-X-A-N-D
E-R—we are—meant to be…

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
I'm rapping hamilton and I'm hear to say, it's fun to rap in a founding father's way

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

kidsam posted:

Well my name is rapping hamilton and I'm hear to say, it's fun to rap in a founding father's way
Ftfy

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd totally watch Hamilton if they used the CBB freestyle backing track in it

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
yo, when in the course of human events
you got a king who's spittin' nonsense
and you taxed as gently caress, but no one represents
it's hamil-time

my name is hamilton,
my lyrics be slamilton
and about aaron burr i don't give a damnilton

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Well, color me surprised that fans of Comedy Bang Bang do not 100% overlap with fans of Hamilton (which is universally loved by just about everyone on CBB), but it is a strange and confusing world to me in general.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Well, color me surprised that fans of Comedy Bang Bang do not 100% overlap with fans of Hamilton (which is universally loved by just about everyone on CBB), but it is a strange and confusing world to me in general.

Performers vs audience

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Haven't listened to the latest solo bolo, but I really liked the first one, and I think my enjoyment goes down a little with each subsequent one.

The singing is fun and I don't mind it except half the songs they sing sound like awful showtunes that I don't know, and they go to the same handful of them every time.

"Somehwere real near or somehwere real far, hell be drinking coffee, she'll be blah blah blah" i really don't like that song whatever it is. Do they sing that one in cuatrolo?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

It's also literal as hell rapping, makes it sound like a school project

Definitely the first time a musical song has been literal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

peepsalot posted:

Haven't listened to the latest solo bolo, but I really liked the first one, and I think my enjoyment goes down a little with each subsequent one.

Same. It feels like with each subsequent one they're referencing previous bits more and more rather than letting it be organic and spontaneous, which is what was fun about the first one.

ElCondemn posted:

Performers vs audience

I thought podcast fans were uninterested in reality TV, unlike pretty much all podcast performers, but then came along Bitch Sesh exploding onto the scene.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't live in the US, what's so good/bad about it
some people have a problem forming their own opinion at a thing so they form an opinion based on the popular reaction to a thing.

the internet encourages this

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

hot Hamilton takes in November 2016 are the worst thing to happen to podcast threads since fart fart fart fart

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Reformed Pissboy posted:

hot Hamilton takes in November 2016 are the worst thing to happen to podcast threads since fart fart fart fart
signed

it made me smile quite a bit to see ben schwartz' name alone when i checked for new podcast eps today

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

Definitely the first time a musical song has been literal.
Ya idk if saying "it's got the lyrical sensibility of a musical" is making the rap opera seem cooler

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hamilton...is good.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

"Somehwere real near or somehwere real far, hell be drinking coffee, she'll be blah blah blah" i really don't like that song whatever it is. Do they sing that one in cuatrolo?
OK yeah @ 16:19

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I don't mind the Hamilton talk that much, but it's funny how exclusionary it is. A movie I can at least stream or watch somewhere on my own. But now everyone is going gaga over a limited show on Broadway, New York, that is notoriously hard to get tickets to on top of that?

That's what, 1-2% of CBB listeners who can share that experience?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Listening to the cast album gives you a pretty thorough telling of the plot since most dialogue is done in song. I believe there is just one or two scenes that is missing. I haven't seen Hamilton, but I've heard and really like the album. I understand how the hype feels overblown, but I still think it's legitimately amazing, and I'm not someone who normally likes musicals.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't mind the Hamilton talk that much, but it's funny how exclusionary it is. A movie I can at least stream or watch somewhere on my own. But now everyone is going gaga over a limited show on Broadway, New York, that is notoriously hard to get tickets to on top of that?

That's what, 1-2% of CBB listeners who can share that experience?

I live in NYC and know maybe 3 people who have actually seen Hamilton. I know a whole lot more who are obsessed with the soundtrack.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

feedmyleg posted:

I live in NYC and know maybe 3 people who have actually seen Hamilton. I know a whole lot more who are obsessed with the soundtrack.

Soundtrack is #1, and there's a really popular cam video floating around.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
oh yeah i guess you can listen to the soundtrack, still my point is cool and valid and that didn't deflate my argument at all

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The same thing happened with Rent in the 90s. Tons of my friends and drama nerds all over the country played the soundtrack all the time but hadn't seen the actual show.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

It's revisionist rap for rich white ppl to enjoy. It lets them enjoy the founding of our country without, you know, the slavery thing.

The entirely non-white cast and use of the non traditional musical genre of rap is in no way a commentary and artistic tool on race's role in the founding of America. Why do I know this? Because I'm annoyed by how much people like this musical I've never seen.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

peepsalot posted:

That's from Annie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

bang bang into your mouth

^ this will be in my head for another week

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I've been going through old Brett Gelman clips and I can't believe I've never heard iBrain. Holy poo poo.

This also reminded me that I don't think I've heard anything from the Comedy Death Ray days.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I've been going through old Brett Gelman clips and I can't believe I've never heard iBrain. Holy poo poo.

This also reminded me that I don't think I've heard anything from the Comedy Death Ray days.

iBrain is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life

The show is much more consistent now as a whole but I think the Death Ray eps on the whole have the funniest poo poo the show ever did.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
There's another episode where Brett Gelman does monologues as Billy Crystal that are just as hilarious as iBrain.

http://comedybangbang.wikia.com/wiki/Doing_Laundry_with_Sarah

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
None of my friends or my brother (who is a huge CBB fan) find iBrain funny :(

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Brett Gelman and Cyrus Ghahremani should have been in Hamilton imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HmMfyR1TI

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I wish Brett had gotten to finish that pig story in that Christmas episode.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
My name is Hamilton and I'm here to say, I love central banking in a major way.

this is now the Hamilton thread.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

My name is Hamilton and I'm here to say, I love central banking in a major way.

this is now the Hamilton thread.

NO!

HMS Beagle posted:

I wish Brett had gotten to finish that pig story in that Christmas episode.

I wish Scott would stop banning him from the show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Best Popeye ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Listen to all the Death Ray eps.