Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chichevache posted:

The best defense they've faced this year is.... the fraud rear end Packers? They're going to be shredded as soon as that offense faces a little adversity.

They played the Eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yes you've convinced me that he does not belong on this long list of QBs who can succeed with bad talent around them:

There's nothing wrong with that! It worked for Dilfer. I'd just like to see Dak without an all-time offensive line to play behind.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

a new study bible! posted:

There's nothing wrong with that! It worked for Dilfer. I'd just like to see Dak without an all-time offensive line to play behind.

The hyperbole here is staggering

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Looks like they were 1-1 to me. So definitively not better at least.

Like week 17 matters!!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Yeah, ideally the Cowboys run Dak all this season, they fall apart in the playoffs, Romo leaves, and then Dak gets exposed as being reliant on everyone around him to look decent.

Romo to Denver and he gets a ring.

Dak is going to leave the honey moon period eventually.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Whole lot of people itt forgetting about the team who actually beat the Cowboys, shut down zeke, and had dak playing like a rookie because he didn't have the best run game in the NFL for one day

I am of course talking about the browns

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Also, Chip got us Sproles. At one point, we were gonna have DeSean/Maclin/Shady/Sproles on the field at the same time.

Now, we just have Sproles and some college receivers.

Let me help you with the math here. It's a simple rule.

Acquisitions that worked = Howie decisions
Acquisitions that failed = Chip decisions.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DGB is upset that he's not getting more targets.

https://twitter.com/CrossingBroad/status/799269975991218176

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

This.

All this talk about Dak and Ezekial is hard to evaluate. They may be special, they may not be.

The loving offensive line - that is what is special about the Cowboys right now. Jerruh may be a complete rear end in a million ways, but he understands the No. 1 fundamental fact of football - a dominant O-Line fixes almost all problems. It was true in the 90s when the line made Aikman look like an all-time great QB (he wasn't) and it still is true now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

shyduck posted:

My immediate thought when i saw all caps on an Eagles twitter post was Oh EDP is still alive

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

predicto posted:

This.

All this talk about Dak and Ezekial is hard to evaluate. They may be special, they may not be.

The loving offensive line - that is what is special about the Cowboys right now. Jerruh may be a complete rear end in a million ways, but he understands the No. 1 fundamental fact of football - a dominant O-Line fixes almost all problems. It was true in the 90s when the line made Aikman look like an all-time great QB (he wasn't) and it still is true now.

Actually, jerry DOESNT understand that. Plenty of reports came out after each draft about how chapped he was at taking olinemen in the first round.

Hell, I think he'll tell you he was wrong about it nowadays.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Iodised QQ posted:

Whole lot of people itt forgetting about the team who actually beat the Cowboys, shut down zeke, and had dak playing like a rookie because he didn't have the best run game in the NFL for one day

I am of course talking about the browns

I wish Eli had signed the stadium again after Week 1.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

predicto posted:

This.

You guys are out of your loving mind if you think Dak is a Dilfer-level QB

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

shyduck posted:

Man, this gave me some Koren Robinson flashbacks.

I remember really wanting the Seahawks to draft DGB. Hindsight is a bitch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheChirurgeon posted:

What if Wentz is the fraud and Dak is the real deal? Is that a reality that can even happen?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Sickening posted:

What if Wentz is the fraud and Dak is the real deal? Is that a reality that can even happen?

No.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's by definition not a Dilfer level quarterback by actually looking decent with all the support in the world. I mean Trent was awful with the Ravens, people remember him as something of a savior because he turned the ball over less than Tony Banks (Banks: 8TD 8INT, Dilfer 12 TD, 11 INT). So yeah.

This doesn't mean he's necessarily really good either though.

Goddamn I really hate Trent Dilfer is all I feel after making this post. Why must this utter failure yell at me every Sunday/Monday?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Grittybeard posted:

Goddamn I really hate Trent Dilfer is all I feel after making this post. Why must this utter failure yell at me every Sunday/Monday?

Well, he has won more Super Bowls than Romo and Dak combined.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

89 posted:

Well, he has won more Super Bowls than Romo and Dak combined.

So does the Pillsbury Throwboy, put Lorenzen on ESPN please.

e: The Battleship

fe2: The Hefty Lefty

fe3: The Abominable Throwman

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nobody is saying that Dak is Dilfer, just that he is being carried similarly to Dilfer.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

So does the Pillsbury Throwboy, put Lorenzen on ESPN please.

e: The Battleship

fe2: The Hefty Lefty

fe3: The Abominable Throwman

Leaving out "He Ate Me" is shameful.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I also think that Dak gives the Cowboys a better chance to win because he is willing to just hand the ball to Elliot and play smart. If the Cowboys introduce Romo into the mix they are going to probably turn the ball over more imo.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
gently caress the cowboys forever etc, but 1) you all are loving crazy if you think for real with your actual brains that after 11 games of being prepared and competent he's actually going to rip open the jersey to reveal that he wasn't russell wilson he was actually blaine gabbert we were just blind to this whole time and 2) that it's literally better to have someone that's worse playing because it's safer like a guy who's not as good is for some reason calling the plays or something?

yeah maybe Dak will get "exposed" as being an adequate NFL starter or something but guess what you can ride Larry Allen's rear end all the way to the hall of fame that way just ask troy aikman

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think it's okay to hold off on crowning any rookie for a season or two.

See: Kaepernick

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Dak is quality. He pinpoints guys and makes deliberate throws. Good pocket awareness and the offense is built to suit him. He'll win games and lose games but at this point in his career he does what Romo is limited to doing and does it better.

I really wonder how Eli is going to perform over the next few years because whatever Giants QB comes in has to compete with some pretty decent young guys in Wentz, Cousins, and Dak.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

The Great QB Battles For The Next Decade(tm), as declared by major media publications

Dak vs. Wentz

Wilson vs. Kaepernick

RG3 vs. Luck

Romo vs. Foles

Cutler vs. Rivers

Young vs. Leinart or anyone else at all

not to say that Dak or Wentz can't go on to have nice careers after 9 quality games, but hyperbole tends to run wild in sports fandom.

I truly believe there are 25 NFL QB's today who could have close to or exceed the level of success Dak has had in the same situation. At the same time, dude has played very very well and done what he's been asked to. His biggest knock coming out of college was his pocket presence and decision making under pressure. Perhaps starting 9 games where he faces no pressure at all behind the best line in football will help him grow past those weaknesses into a great player. Perhaps those issues still exist and are just waiting to be exposed. That's why they play the games I guess!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah I seriously doubt anyone ever put Foles in a list of great QB anythings. He had some good games, but I think even his more ardent supporters like myself had his upside as "maybe this guy could be an ok starter".

I think Prescott is for real. I also think Wentz is better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CyberPingu posted:

Pretty sure the Eagles D is a lot better than the Packers D

TheChirurgeon posted:

They played the Eagles

Sorry, this is such a weird and recent development that I have trouble processing it.

They gon get wrecked Sunday.

Lote posted:

Romo to Denver and he gets a ring.

This is too good a narrative not to happen.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 18, 2016

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Yeah I seriously doubt anyone ever put Foles in a list of great QB anythings.

Romo vs. Foles dominating the NFC east for years articles were linked to me constantly that offseason by Eagles fans, trust me, they existed and they were ridiculous

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Actually, jerry DOESNT understand that. Plenty of reports came out after each draft about how chapped he was at taking olinemen in the first round.

Hell, I think he'll tell you he was wrong about it nowadays.

Wow I didn't know that.

(in my defense, as a Redskins fan, every other owner looks like a god in comparison)

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

I didn't say Dilfer level.

I have no idea what level he is.

All I know is that he has the easiest QB job in the league right now. Huge running game, not asked to do much, and when he does need to throw, he has plenty of time and Witten/Dez out there getting open eventually.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

I think Prescott is for real. I also think Wentz is better.

The current Philly area sportsradio scuttlebutt is "would you rather have Wentz or Dak+Zeke?"

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

aBagorn posted:

The current Philly area sportsradio scuttlebutt is "would you rather have Wentz or Dak+Zeke?"

I'd rather have the Cowboys' line.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Iodised QQ posted:

The Great QB Battles For The Next Decade(tm), as declared by major media publications

Dak vs. Wentz

Wilson vs. Kaepernick

RG3 vs. Luck

Romo vs. Foles

Cutler vs. Rivers

not to say that Dak or Wentz can't go on to have nice careers after 9 quality games, but hyperbole tends to run wild in sports fandom.

I truly believe there are 25 NFL QB's today who could have close to or exceed the level of success Dak has had in the same situation. At the same time, dude has played very very well and done what he's been asked to. His biggest knock coming out of college was his pocket presence and decision making under pressure. Perhaps starting 9 games where he faces no pressure at all behind the best line in football will help him grow past those weaknesses into a great player. Perhaps those issues still exist and are just waiting to be exposed. That's why they play the games I guess!

Don't forget Winston v Marioto

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Iodised QQ posted:

Vince Young is an all-time great... in my heart.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

predicto posted:

This.

I would bet if you placed Cody Kessler behind Dallas's Oline and Dak behind the Browns O line you would have similar results.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

I don't really follow college football but I keep hearing there are like 12 Ezekiel Elliots coming out next year. I'm sure that's an unreasonable exaggeration, but it's supposed to be a running back rich draft.

I'll take Wentz. And I wouldn't want the Eagles to waste a #3 pick on a running back.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Chichevache posted:

this is too good a narrative not to happen.

I'll root for him!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I guess I should answer the question I posited on behalf of Philly meatheads.

It's very difficult for me, because Dak/Zeke is EXACTLY what I wanted to do as soon as we traded up to #8 (I really didn't see him going top 5, kudos to Dallas).

I pined hard for Wentz but didn't see a trade up as a possibility.

In hindsight, I think I would still take Wentz again in a vacuum over Dak/Zeke. I really think his ceiling is that much higher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Not to interrupt Dan vs Wentz chat, but can we talk about how bullshit the Redskins schedule is?

This weekend we play on SNF before having a game Thursday midday. So basically a 2.5-3 day turnaround. Fine whatever I guess it's only 8 hours less than Dallas gets plus travel time too.

The week before Christmas we play Carolina on MNF and then have a SATURDAY 1PM game @Chicago, so a 4 day turnaround Only team in the league with 2 short turnarounds in one season.

Thanks, Mara.

• Locked thread