Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panda clue
May 23, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

So in the new league, you click a thing and mobs appear. What a unique idea for POE.

Literally every PC game ever: click on thing, thing happens. Whoa! :shepface:

Here is a Scorching Ray build I put together, probably what I'm going to try and start with for Breach:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...BFfmHvDWW3PMg==

Scorching Ray -> Ele Focus -> Controlled Destruction -> Rapid Decay -> Empower -> ??? (faster casting or new channeling support)

All jewel slots with Energy from Within, using Valyrium, Beast Fur Shawl, Overflowing Chalice, and Witchfire Brew for uniques. Clarity and Blasphemy/enfeeble for reserves (assuming Clarity is even needed). Orb of Storms to proc both EE and EO.

I also might experiment with also using RF with the build, but that would require a Shav's ring and Rise of the Phoenix, else I would be required to always be standing on a Conc Ground puddle (this would suck). It would be something I look into to scale the build more once I got everything setup comfortably.

Also a 4L with Inc Duration and 3 Vaal Disciplines for max regen bullshit all the time.

edit: full gem setup http://poecraft.com/%20gemplanner#v12.==2O2M2A1Q==..112S2U=A.1O1W=H0c0e2I.1W2x2x2x.=j071W1y.==.==.==

panda clue fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippyflip
Mar 21, 2014

devoir posted:

Ends 28. Starts 2.

Thanks and just after i posted saw they just posted it on the site

Also was wondering peoples thoughts on what class to run a Sorching Ray totem build on. Im thinking either templar hierophant or the Marauder Chieftain.
And was thinking about using that new shield they showed anyone have any input?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hippyflip posted:

Thanks and just after i posted saw they just posted it on the site

Also was wondering peoples thoughts on what class to run a Sorching Ray totem build on. Im thinking either templar hierophant or the Marauder Chieftain.
And was thinking about using that new shield they showed anyone have any input?

Hierophant has a bunch of caveats attached because it's kind of a weird class. The biggest thing is that any source of additional totems is less useful on them-- a fourth totem adds as much damage as 53% of your base. You go from 233% of your base damage with 3 totems, to 287% with 4, or 329% with 5 totems. Scorching Ray also cannot use the power charges hierophants generate since it cannot crit.
Hierophants do offer the advantage of being immensely cheap to get mapping though, since they get what are effectively free 5-links from Illuminated Devotion.

If you take Ancestral Bond and use the new +totem shield on a Chieftain, your damage effectiveness will be 300%, compared to the 329% of the 5 totem Hierophant. If you take ancestral bond out of the mix, it's 200% versus 287%, a much wider difference that's less likely to be overcome by the Chieftain's higher sources of increased fire damage..

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

as a dude who did hierophanting i suggest you don't hierophant

what class + weapon is best for blade flurry?

Hippyflip
Mar 21, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

Hierophant has a bunch of caveats attached because it's kind of a weird class. The biggest thing is that any source of additional totems is less useful on them-- a fourth totem adds as much damage as 53% of your base. You go from 233% of your base damage with 3 totems, to 287% with 4, or 329% with 5 totems. Scorching Ray also cannot use the power charges hierophants generate since it cannot crit.
Hierophants do offer the advantage of being immensely cheap to get mapping though, since they get what are effectively free 5-links from Illuminated Devotion.

If you take Ancestral Bond and use the new +totem shield on a Chieftain, your damage effectiveness will be 300%, compared to the 329% of the 5 totem Hierophant. If you take ancestral bond out of the mix, it's 200% versus 287%, a much wider difference that's less likely to be overcome by the Chieftain's higher sources of increased fire damage..

Thanks for the reply

Sorry just havent played in a lil bit so dont know whats good still
would Ray totems be ok for a starting build or should i just stick to like a MF Flame totem?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Have they announced they're going to do anything with poison yet? The last time I played I used this build using Abyssal Cry and Blade Vortex. With Breath of the Council and the Fur Shawl it was just disgusting how overpowered it ended up being. 16,000 ES, regenerate 20% of your ES every second, and still do enough DPS to kill uber-Izaro in 10 seconds flat. High tier map bosses would die even faster as Abyssal Cry on the blue pack they always came with would end up stacking massive damage, triple duration poison on the map boss when they all exploded.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xequecal posted:

Have they announced they're going to do anything with poison yet? The last time I played I used this build using Abyssal Cry and Blade Vortex. With Breath of the Council and the Fur Shawl it was just disgusting how overpowered it ended up being. 16,000 ES, regenerate 20% of your ES every second, and still do enough DPS to kill uber-Izaro in 10 seconds flat. High tier map bosses would die even faster as Abyssal Cry on the blue pack they always came with would end up stacking massive damage, triple duration poison on the map boss when they all exploded.

they will reduce the dps of BV, so your poison will do less dps too

also maybe reducing further double dipping of area and projectile mods with poison

other than that: uber izarro and map bosesses aren't the benchmarks for nerfing, shaper and uber atziri are

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Xequecal posted:

how does this build regenerate so much but also do damage? i am not good at game. also how much does it cost?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think for Breach I'm going with either an EA Juggernaut or a 1h Slayer to start. Leaning towards the Slayer, so I can swap between 1h EQ, Lacerate and Blade Flurry. Eventually end up with a Varunastra probably. That 20% cull and near-perma Onslaught is just so good starting out.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
What would be a good starter build that can easily farm uber lab?

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

how does this build regenerate so much but also do damage? i am not good at game. also how much does it cost?

9% regen from the tree, 6% from the Guardian talent, and then the Fur Shawl increases regeneration by 30%. It does so much damage because poison is broken and double dips on everything. You just need Breath of the Council and The Beast Fur Shawl to make it work. The first one is cheap, the second one is expensive. You also need 3x Energy From Within gems to convert the life nodes to energy shield, but those are also very cheap on softcore.

Abyssal Cry's explosion does 8% of the killed monster's life in damage. The damage increases on the tree plus Breath of the Council increase this to 22% of the monster's life. Add in Concentrated Effect and Void Manipulation and now it's 50% of the monster's life in damage. That 50% hit applies a poison stack that deals 10% of the monster's life in damage baseline. However, poison double dips on everything so all the damage increases apply again, and you have additional damage increasers that only apply to the poison. If you count just the skill tree, Breath, and the Poison gem, poison damage is increased by 265%. So that boosts it up to 36.5% of the monster's life. Then you apply the multiplicative increases of Conc Effect and Void Manipulation, and the poison is dealing 81.76% of the killed monster's life in damage. Next, poison can have its duration extended. That works as another multiplicative increase. You have 50% increased duration from the tree and Breath of the Council grants a further 40% increase. If you want to get into 5L items, you can also add Increased Duration gem for another 65% duration, and raise the Abyssal Cry gem to 20% quality to get another 20% duration. So with 175% increased duration, the poison now deals 233% of the killed monster's life in damage. Combine that with the original explosion damage, and whenever you kill one thing it explodes in an explosion dealing 283% of the killed monster's health in damage to everything around it. So you basically need to just click Abyssal Cry and kill one thing, and everything on the screen dies.

Xequecal fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 20, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sotar posted:

What would be a good starter build that can easily farm uber lab?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters < Rodentttt (chieftain, facebreaker + bringer of rain warchief)

I don't think it's possible to beat this one for that purpose. I did like 10 full-key runs with that gear yesterday, as well as 10 atziri runs. The gear is pretty loving cheap and you can start out with a 1c weapon like marohi erqi or doomsower. When you get the gear level I have, which should be around 2ex total or so, you can allegedly do shaper. I've only done t15 myself, but that's because I dont have any higher tier maps to try.

J
Jun 10, 2001

panda clue posted:

Literally every PC game ever: click on thing, thing happens. Whoa! :shepface:

Here is a Scorching Ray build I put together, probably what I'm going to try and start with for Breach:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...BFfmHvDWW3PMg==

Scorching Ray -> Ele Focus -> Controlled Destruction -> Rapid Decay -> Empower -> ??? (faster casting or new channeling support)

All jewel slots with Energy from Within, using Valyrium, Beast Fur Shawl, Overflowing Chalice, and Witchfire Brew for uniques. Clarity and Blasphemy/enfeeble for reserves (assuming Clarity is even needed). Orb of Storms to proc both EE and EO.

I also might experiment with also using RF with the build, but that would require a Shav's ring and Rise of the Phoenix, else I would be required to always be standing on a Conc Ground puddle (this would suck). It would be something I look into to scale the build more once I got everything setup comfortably.

Also a 4L with Inc Duration and 3 Vaal Disciplines for max regen bullshit all the time.

edit: full gem setup http://poecraft.com/%20gemplanner#v12.==2O2M2A1Q==..112S2U=A.1O1W=H0c0e2I.1W2x2x2x.=j071W1y.==.==.==

Are you banking on essence being added to the base game so a +3 fire gems bow is still possible? Or what bow/quiver were you planning to use? I like the idea of duration nodes with 3 vaal disciplines, seems like one of the best ways to work around the no-leech disadvantage of SR.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

TheRat posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters < Rodentttt (chieftain, facebreaker + bringer of rain warchief)

I don't think it's possible to beat this one for that purpose. I did like 10 full-key runs with that gear yesterday, as well as 10 atziri runs. The gear is pretty loving cheap and you can start out with a 1c weapon like marohi erqi or doomsower. When you get the gear level I have, which should be around 2ex total or so, you can allegedly do shaper. I've only done t15 myself, but that's because I dont have any higher tier maps to try.

Thanks, I think I will give this a try next league.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Is there any reason to think Doomfletch will be nerfed at all? Otherwise I might try that next league; it looks fun and I've never done an Inquisitor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Have they talked about skill tree changes yet?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Have they talked about skill tree changes yet?

They are usually announced a couple of days before the league starts. And since 2.5 is a minor patch, I wouldn't expect a lot of changes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sotar posted:

Thanks, I think I will give this a try next league.

fwiw bringers will be pretty expensive the first week, because it is very popular (but common enough to drop after that)

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw bringers will be pretty expensive the first week, because it is very popular (but common enough to drop after that)

Wat? They were a couple C all last league. They might be a couple dozen C in the first couple days, but I think you are overestimating how popular they are.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is act 5 and cruel being cut coming after this next league?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sotar posted:

Wat? They were a couple C all last league. They might be a couple dozen C in the first couple days, but I think you are overestimating how popular they are.

And you don't need bringer to start. As I said, all you need is a 1c weapon like marohi erqi or doomsower to start farming maps.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is act 5 and cruel being cut coming after this next league?

Next league. Around 15 weeks from now.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I think for Breach I'm going with either an EA Juggernaut or a 1h Slayer to start. Leaning towards the Slayer, so I can swap between 1h EQ, Lacerate and Blade Flurry. Eventually end up with a Varunastra probably. That 20% cull and near-perma Onslaught is just so good starting out.

I might have to bring back the Point Blank Chin Sol Iron Grip Reverse Knockback Ranged Attack Totem Berserker for this league :sax:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

where the red fern gropes posted:

as a dude who did hierophanting i suggest you don't hierophant

what class + weapon is best for blade flurry?

Assassin + daggers, pathfinder + daggers, inquisitor + elemental foils, slayer + either one.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

J posted:

Are you banking on essence being added to the base game so a +3 fire gems bow is still possible? Or what bow/quiver were you planning to use? I like the idea of duration nodes with 3 vaal disciplines, seems like one of the best ways to work around the no-leech disadvantage of SR.

Yeah, if I cant do that I'll probably end up using a staff. Also, guess what boys. Someone on reddit dug up the new channeling support, and its a doozy. I forsee a great deal of bitching about this one.

Chris Wilson posted:

And there are various things we are working on which will be available over time, and one that I can talk about, is a channelled skill support gem that is coming out in 2.5.0, which is basically cast while channelling. It enables you to have cast other skills while you are channelling and the could be defensive ones for example..."

http://2p.com/45968509_1/Path-of-Exile-250-Update-Preview-Breach-League-by-Masterseek.htm

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
As you are aware in PoE there is fire resistance, and you'd usually want to get it up to 65 in each difficulty

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

panda clue posted:

Yeah, if I cant do that I'll probably end up using a staff. Also, guess what boys. Someone on reddit dug up the new channeling support, and its a doozy. I forsee a great deal of bitching about this one.
Thaaaaaaaaaat sounds like it could be batshit.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
> 'Clear Speed Meta' buffed by 200%

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
For a new player, looking for a long term experience, playing the same character for a long time, what is the best league to start? I have 2 options, Essence (SC) or Standard. What about upcoming leagues? I can see an expansion/update is coming soon, would it be better to wait until that new league starts? I don't play often enough to have any interest in racing, starting fresh etc. I'm looking for something to do long term, sort of work on 1 or 2 characters.

Regarding gear/loot, playing casually, is it more likely I'll need to trade for items? Is there any sort of real cash economy in case I'm desperate for something? This is probably a dumb question, but can this game be played multiplayer? All the streams/youtube's I've watched it's always solo.

Any advice or things to be aware of as a newbie so as not to get overwhelmed?

I've been thinking about this build for starting out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1716534/page/1

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Cast While Channelling would be absolutely insane. I would say there's no way they would do that, but the gently caress do I know at this point regarding power creep. Maybe it'll have a reasonable internal cooldown?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Essential posted:

For a new player, looking for a long term experience, playing the same character for a long time, what is the best league to start? I have 2 options, Essence (SC) or Standard. What about upcoming leagues? I can see an expansion/update is coming soon, would it be better to wait until that new league starts? I don't play often enough to have any interest in racing, starting fresh etc. I'm looking for something to do long term, sort of work on 1 or 2 characters.

Regarding gear/loot, playing casually, is it more likely I'll need to trade for items? Is there any sort of real cash economy in case I'm desperate for something? This is probably a dumb question, but can this game be played multiplayer? All the streams/youtube's I've watched it's always solo.

I've been thinking about this build for starting out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1716534/page/1

You'll probably want to stick to Standard then.
Trading for items makes things much much easier on you.
Are you asking about RMT? That's verboten.
Yes, you can party up (6 players max)

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

whypick1 posted:

You'll probably want to stick to Standard then.
Trading for items makes things much much easier on you.
Are you asking about RMT? That's verboten.
Yes, you can party up (6 players max)

Got it, thanks!

Regarding RMT, I know that the game has cosmetic items for cash, so I wasn't sure if there was something like the original D3 auction house.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Essential posted:

Got it, thanks!

Regarding RMT, I know that the game has cosmetic items for cash, so I wasn't sure if there was something like the original D3 auction house.

Ask pokchu about buying stuff

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Essential posted:

As someone who started as a new played in summer, I'd say you should definitely start on League softcore rather than Standard softcore. Basically the only difference (beyond the fun League mechanics) is stuff will start off a fair bit more expensive than on Standard for the first week or so, but on the other hand stuff you find might actually be worth something to others which is pretty much not gonna be the case on Standard. If you stick with no trading then obviously neither of these matter and you only get the benefit of the League content until your character is transfered over to Standard after the League is over.

As for trading, I had no intention of trading when I started out, but I eventually decided to try it out and I gotta say I couldn't imagine playing without trading now. There's no legitimate real cash economy no, I guess they probably sell stuff for cash on various sites but be prepared to get banned if you partake in it. You WILL eventually find something worth trading, or want something that's really cheap to buy but will never drop for you. Until that happens, there's no REAL need to engage with the system - you basically don't need to bother with trading until you get to Merciless at the earliest unless you really want to, so you have plenty of time trying the game without trading to see how you like it and such.

For your build, I actually did ED on my second ever character just this League, and it was quite successful, so I'll just offer two pieces of advice. First it can be a bit of a pain leveling with it compared to other skills, and it's not the most engaging skill to play with in general, just so you're aware of that. On the other hand it is quite easy to use and very powerful once you do reach mapping which is very nice. Second, it looks potentially outdated since it's a Consuming Dark build - if Essence stays in the game, Decay weapons are gonna be much better, and though I build around a dagger I believe a bow with decay would be optimal too. But that is dependent on what happens with Essence I suppose.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

As someone who started as a new played in summer, I'd say you should definitely start on League softcore rather than Standard softcore. Basically the only difference (beyond the fun League mechanics) is stuff will start off a fair bit more expensive than on Standard for the first week or so, but on the other hand stuff you find might actually be worth something to others which is pretty much not gonna be the case on Standard. If you stick with no trading then obviously neither of these matter and you only get the benefit of the League content until your character is transfered over to Standard after the League is over.

As for trading, I had no intention of trading when I started out, but I eventually decided to try it out and I gotta say I couldn't imagine playing without trading now. There's no legitimate real cash economy no, I guess they probably sell stuff for cash on various sites but be prepared to get banned if you partake in it. You WILL eventually find something worth trading, or want something that's really cheap to buy but will never drop for you. Until that happens, there's no REAL need to engage with the system - you basically don't need to bother with trading until you get to Merciless at the earliest unless you really want to, so you have plenty of time trying the game without trading to see how you like it and such.

For your build, I actually did ED on my second ever character just this League, and it was quite successful, so I'll just offer two pieces of advice. First it can be a bit of a pain leveling with it compared to other skills, and it's not the most engaging skill to play with in general, just so you're aware of that. On the other hand it is quite easy to use and very powerful once you do reach mapping which is very nice. Second, it looks potentially outdated since it's a Consuming Dark build - if Essence stays in the game, Decay weapons are gonna be much better, and though I build around a dagger I believe a bow with decay would be optimal too. But that is dependent on what happens with Essence I suppose.

Awesome thanks for the info. Any advice/thoughts on a different beginner build? I'd rather have something easier to level and prefer something that requires more skill. Otherwise I'll just get bored. I'd prefer to have something more engaging, but not that requires items I may never see.

Are you playing on standard now? Or do you start a new character when a new league begins?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sotar posted:

I said exactly the same thing, for me a couple dozen c is pretty expensive in the first week. :colbert:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Essential posted:

Awesome thanks for the info. Any advice/thoughts on a different beginner build? I'd rather have something easier to level and prefer something that requires more skill. Otherwise I'll just get bored. I'd prefer to have something more engaging, but not that requires items I may never see.

Are you playing on standard now? Or do you start a new character when a new league begins?

I start over for new Leagues. I actually don't like leveling (nothing with PoE, I'm the same with all games like this) but I still vastly prefer to level one character per League, no more or less, in PoE. There's a lot of reasons why I abandoned my previous strategy of only playing one character ever - for example, I only ever really played Witch Doctor in Diablo 3 despite playing on and off for several years - when it came to PoE. First, it's a game where it's really fun to try out new builds and skills and which also has a lot of variety, while simultaneously being very restrictive about changing your character. If you're like me you come out of your first character feeling like it was fun, but noticing some inefficiencies, some things it didn't excel at that other builds would, etc. Second is, I personally can't imagine playing on Standard, because League feels so much more fun to me. Not just the fresh content and larger playerbase, but also new and fresh economy is a really big deal for me and my enjoyment. I start a new character with a new League when I come back to the game, and play it for 3 - 6 weeks depending on how much I'm enjoying my build/the League content.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Throwing around build ideas for Blade Flurry and I like the look of this tree for Inquisitor:
PoePlanner Link

The idea is to use Moonbender's Wing as an offhand to a decent 280pDPS phys foil or something similar, for the 25% conversion to cold and lightning, then running Flurry in a 6L with phys to lit, added fire, hatred, taste of hate, atziri's promise, lion's roar etc. to all scale off the phys damage base. 200% life from the tree and 35% from jewel sockets + belly of the beast should bring my HP up high enough where I can use Abyssus as well for even more deeps. Seem like a decent idea?

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 20, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I am super bad at trading and basically just sell obvious big ticket stuff but you should definitely buy gear, it's generally pretty painless

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Chris Wilson posted:

It's not a "cast while channeling" support. It's a "trigger while channeling" support.

Rory Rackham posted:

To clarify, it is only spells, and it only occurs at set frequencies. It doesn't mean you can cast two skills at once, it just means the spells are triggered while channeling, rather than you controlling both independently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Scorching Ray + Flame Lash

Flurry + Bladefall

Blight + Essence Drain + Contagion

Oh hey, Blight might not blow so hard now. Wait, you won't be able to stack on the more damage mod supports with 2 gems + the trigger linked. Still rip Blight :v:

• Locked thread