Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It has to be admitted that a huge amount of Voyager's appeal is Mugrew's sheer charisma in the role. It wasn't well-written most of the time but gently caress she sold the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Drone posted:

As a gay Trek geek, I can tell you that this is pretty much 100% because of Kate Mulgrew. She has a pretty decently-sized gay following in general as an actor, and therefore gay geeks also love Voyager because of it.

Sooo.....why is that? Let me be a totally boring nerd, and say "why would your sexual orientation give you a liking of one thing over another?"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sooo.....why is that? Let me be a totally boring nerd, and say "why would your sexual orientation give you a liking of one thing over another?"

It's probably a strong female actor thing. The same reason gays have classically liked them -- starting with Judy Garland and moving onto the Hepburns, Bette Davis, then onward to Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Meryl Streep, etc. There's also a pretty clear divide between professional actors who happen to have a strong gay following (people like Kate Mulgrew or Meryl Streep), or professional actors who are just outright fag hags who actively cultivate that image (Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, Joy Behar).

It's also not a universal constant among gay people or anything. But when asking why gay men tend to prefer Voyager, it's probably the single strongest motivator.

Also Kate Mulgrew is a good actor and worthy of being a fan regardless of whether or not you're straight or gay, aside from some shady drama between her and Jeri Ryan that have often been talked about.

Data Graham posted:

Some of it is appreciation of performers who are LGBT-friendly (cf. Bea Arthur); some of it is just a cultural bandwagon deal, like it was always a "thing" for gay guys to like Judy Garland, which I imagine was largely "I love her because all my friends love her" which becomes self-perpetuating.

Yeah, this, though it's much more than an affectation, which some could interpret your point as meaning. Especially in that era, being gay also meant that you had to accept a specific cultural lexicon (to a certain degree) in order to communicate your sexual orientation on the sly. Being a "friend of Dorothy" was a subtle (for the time) indicator to someone else that you were gay and interested in finding other gay people, in an era where you couldn't just come out and say it without facing gigantic repercussions. The necessity of remaining subtle like that has thankfully faded to basically nil in most of the Western world, but the cultural cornerstone remains to a large degree (though it is fading rapidly with the mainstreaming of public homosexuality).

But I'm not sure this is the place to talk about gay cultural cornerstones and the fading institutions of gay culture.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Some of it is appreciation of performers who are LGBT-friendly (cf. Bea Arthur); some of it is just a cultural bandwagon deal, like it was always a "thing" for gay guys to like Judy Garland, which I imagine was largely "I love her because all my friends love her" which becomes self-perpetuating.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Drone posted:

But I'm not sure this is the place to talk about gay cultural cornerstones and the fading institutions of gay culture.
I dunno, Star Trek has some history in this department... Didn't Trek essentially give rise to slashfic thanks to Kirk/Spock?? I know at least one gay guy who discovered/embraced his sexuality through reading slash on fan fiction sites in the 90s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Star Trek also gave us the Mary Sue.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't even know why there is a discussion about why Voyager is the most gay. I mean, just watch it. It's got high heels, prissy male characters, camp value out of the wazoo.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hey! I just got a call from Rick Berman. He's too cheap to spend :10bux: but he wants all of you gays outta here!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drone posted:

Yeah, this, though it's much more than an affectation, which some could interpret your point as meaning. Especially in that era, being gay also meant that you had to accept a specific cultural lexicon (to a certain degree) in order to communicate your sexual orientation on the sly. Being a "friend of Dorothy" was a subtle (for the time) indicator to someone else that you were gay and interested in finding other gay people, in an era where you couldn't just come out and say it without facing gigantic repercussions. The necessity of remaining subtle like that has thankfully faded to basically nil in most of the Western world, but the cultural cornerstone remains to a large degree (though it is fading rapidly with the mainstreaming of public homosexuality).

Let me tell you about how I carefully studied and memorized the hanky code, in the late 90s

At least it helped me get over my fear of being pointed and laughed at by guys I thought were my friends

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

MorgaineDax posted:

The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek: The First 25 Years really puts emphasis on the uncensored.

This is from Ande Richardson.

I've never heard of this woman before, but I'm really enjoying her quotes in the book. She's black and was friends with Malcolm X, MLK Jr, and Maulana Karenga, and worked as a Desilu secretary before becoming Gene L. Coon's personal assistant.

Apparently, she used to answer the phone 'Hello? Coon's coon speaking, how can I help?' in the thickest southern accent possible. Now THAT is a lady with a sense of humour.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trickjaw posted:

Apparently, she used to answer the phone 'Hello? Coon's coon speaking, how can I help?' in the thickest southern accent possible. Now THAT is a lady with a sense of humour.
Yeah I was going to say that you can't leave out that part because I almost fell on the floor when i read that. Her segments of the book were some of the most interesting.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I was going to say that you can't leave out that part because I almost fell on the floor when i read that. Her segments of the book were some of the most interesting.

I haven't seen the book, but earlier books have quotes and stuff. All the production staff loved her, and I'm sure Gene tried to.. get to know her better

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Trickjaw posted:

I haven't seen the book, but earlier books have quotes and stuff. All the production staff loved her, and I'm sure Gene tried to.. get to know her better

MorgaineDax included the anecdote where Roddenberry bragged about giving Majel an infection, but here's the preceding bit where she drills into his character:

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
So if you guys love janeway so much let me ask you this

Three way with Seven and Janeway while chakotay watches you in?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Ande and Gene Coon, the coolest people in the book so far.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, it's over, my marathon of TNG has ended (though i need to watch the special features of season 7 now).

The funniest part of the last episode was the show itself recognising that Frakes was to fat and beardy to play a younger version of himself.

A part of me wishes i'd started to watch DS9 alongside the final season due to the occasional reference they made to things going on there, but i think i really need a break from Trek for a while.

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dicky mouse posted:

Hell yes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kin posted:

Well, it's over, my marathon of TNG has ended (though i need to watch the special features of season 6 now).

The funniest part of the last episode was the show itself recognising that Frakes was to fat and beardy to play a younger version of himself.

A part of me wishes i'd started to watch DS9 alongside the final season due to the occasional reference they made to things going on there, but i think i really need a break from Trek for a while.

Nah, we tried doing this and it became super hard to go back to TNG every other episode. "oh this one's a 2 parter, oh this is a really good one, oh that next TNG's a stinker" and we just ended up not watching season 7 of TNG until we finished DS9.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dicky mouse posted:

As long as he stays far from the people I'm boning, a-koo-chee-moya

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the "Enemy Mine" episode of Enterprise today and Trip is pretty much the only likable character on the show at this point (midway through seas 2).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trip is kind of a thin character, but he gets some fun lines and the actor is one of the few actually trying on the show. Same with Phlox.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Kin posted:

It was more an issue of having to shave his beard, which would have been a problem for the production of Generations that began almost immediately after the series wrapped.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Should've just given him a bald cap for his face

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dicky mouse posted:

He'd be stoned out of his mind to the point that he's not functionally watching anyhow

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the only Janeway threesome anyone should want.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002
Does that count as bun up Janeway and hair down Janeway? I don't think it does but I can't immerse myself in this erotic fantasy without knowing who I'm dealing with.

BTW this thread owns. Can I hang out with you guys? Trek fandom is God drat terrifying.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

speakhard posted:

It was more an issue of having to shave his beard, which would have been a problem for the production of Generations that began almost immediately after the series wrapped.

It's also continuity, because past Picard has them head to the All Good Things anomaly before going to Farpoint. Riker wasn't even on board yet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turns out that the only cast member on Discovery is going to be Frakes.

Frakes playing every character. A tour de force of acting.

And he took no effort to lose weight or dye his hair, either. It's going to be old, grey, balding fat Frakes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gonz posted:

Turns out that the only cast member on Discovery is going to be Frakes.

Frakes playing every character. A tour de force of acting.

And he took no effort to lose weight or dye his hair, either. It's going to be old, grey, balding fat Frakes.

I'm sold.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

It makes the gimmick of having the Enterprise finale feature Frakes portraying middle-TNG Riker all the more boggling.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 22, 2016

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Has this shown up here yet?

Because oh my god

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd build in a Star Trek version of Kerbal Space Program. Ten seconds after launch the warp core would explode from the strain and send every nacelle flying off in a different direction.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I must admit I :lol:'d at MOAR

I also laughed that how ever many nacelles wasn't enough and they had to add one more in the middle.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

MissAnthropic posted:

BTW this thread owns. Can I hang out with you guys? Trek fandom is God drat terrifying.

This was my thought a few years ago when I found one of the older threads. I love me some Trek, but with a strong dose of humor. Trek shouldn't be taken too seriously, and goons definitely know what's up vis-à-vis Trek being simultaneously awesome and dumb as hell. :respek:

Also: DS9 rules and this thread is an island of sanity in an angry sea of Voyager fandom.

Hyperriker posted:

Has this shown up here yet?

Because oh my god

Stop taking screen caps of my dreams, Hyperriker.

Delsaber posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd build in a Star Trek version of Kerbal Space Program. Ten seconds after launch the warp core would explode from the strain and send every nacelle flying off in a different direction.

Isn't there a good Trek mod for KSP? I thought I remember reading about a good one a while back, but it was when I was overworked at the time and I deliberately avoided it in order to be a responsible adult.

Then again, I may have just been reading about Trek poo poo people put together in the base game. That seems like a thing you could do alright in vanilla KSP.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What we're all overlooking here are the three deflector dishes, because god help you if stellar particles hit one of your 32 warp nacelles.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Designed by Tom Paris, age nine thirty.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What we're all overlooking here are the three deflector dishes, because god help you if stellar particles hit one of your 32 warp nacelles.

I'm looking at the front and back shuttlebays. Maybe they're connected and it's just one huge hangerbay/shuttlecraft carrier?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delsaber posted:

I was going to say that looks like my Kerbal spacecraft design philosophy and I don't see the problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Happy 20th birthday to Star Trek First Contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Happy 20th birthday to Star Trek First Contact

jfc :rip: my youth