Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The NES versions are slightly harder due to minor changes like that, yes. I think the second and third games removed the checkpoints on the final bosses completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMC
May 18, 2009

My favorite bad port is probably the GBC port of Donkey Kong Country. I love DKC, but the GBC port somehow manages to control worse than the Donkey Kong Land games on the original GB, which is pretty rough considering gameplay wasn't really that game's strongest asset to begin with. I basically regard it as hard mode DKC.( The GBA port, on the other hand, despite the compromised visual/audial fidelity, actually controls a bit better than the original, and the game feels a bit fairer for it.)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Then there's the GBA port of DKC3 which has completely different music from the SNES version because it came to a decision between programming a new sound system to handle the music from the original game or compose completely new tracks and the latter was just faster to do to get the game out.

The original SNES game was mostly done by someone other than David Wise, but then the GBA version is completely his soundtrack.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

Then there's the GBA port of DKC3 which has completely different music from the SNES version because it came to a decision between programming a new sound system to handle the music from the original game or compose completely new tracks and the latter was just faster to do to get the game out.

The original SNES game was mostly done by someone other than David Wise, but then the GBA version is completely his soundtrack.

Reminds me of Rebecca Heineman's solution when tasked with porting Doom to 3DO on two month's notice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RodShaft posted:

A few pages back, but I have a short board model 2 Genesis without the square vent holes. Is that any good?

The reason people look for that particular revision of the Genesis 2 (the vents with the em shielding that doesn't go all the way across) is that it has a bit better sound than the other models. And considering how the Genesis usually sounded, it needed all the help it could get. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I guess my favorite "bad" port is GTA and GTA 2 for the Game Boy Color. I've always liked it and found it tons of fun since they have the entire city maps and missions of the PC releases, just rendered in tiled top down 2D instead of the sorta-3D-but-not-really top down they used on PC. But apparently there's a lot of people who hate them for some reason?

The GTA 1 port is even a dual format one, so it actually runs on the original Game Boy, albeit with frame rate issues cropping up. In GBC mode it runs nice and smooth.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

I'm a little confused about NES/Famicom Ninja Gaiden and was wondering if anyone had any insight:

I've been playing through the NES Mini's Ninja Gaiden and finally got to the last boss this weekend. After you beat the first form, the game counts down your ninja magic and timer and when you start the second form, you've lost all your magic and whatever item you were holding. Kinda frustrating, and it actually differs from what I remember from when Arino challenges the game on GCCX. When Arino fights the second form, he still has his fire magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8H6APMFck&t=2687s

How's that possible? A difference between the Famicom and NES versions? I can't find an explanation online.

No idea if there are discrepancies with the Japanese version (although 3 has a significant difference of limited vs unlimited continues so it's likely), but in 1 and 2 when you died on the 2nd or 3rd forms, the game would have you "continue" from the beginning of the stage but the boss forms you cleared would stay cleared. So it was possible to do a ridiculous war of attrition:

- Go through entire stage, accruing magic on the way
- Kill boss form 1
- Die to boss form 2
- Go through entire stage, accruing magic on the way (again)
- Going into boss room starts you immediately on form 2, with you having magic still. Kill boss form 2
- Die to boss form 3, rinse repeat until game is cleared.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Posting to say I got myself two of those iBuffalo USB SNES controllers for my Raspberry Pi and those things are tight as gently caress for the 6 bucks each that they cost.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

There were a number of cool "ports" on NES where they took the basics of the arcade game but made an almost entirely new one around the console's limitations. Jackal, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Bionic Commando, Life Force, etc. All bad ports persay but I think they are still enjoyable games.

For PC-Engine I had Kyukyoku Tiger, Armed F, Ordyne and Daisenpu Custom (the CD one). They are all problematic to various degrees but still worth playing if you have the console, I think.

Some examples of less old things - PSM gave PS1 Street Fighter Alpha 3 a 5/5 and I wanted a 2D fighting game so I bought it and enjoyed it immensely. Found out later it's not exactly arcade-accurate. DonPachi on Saturn had some glaring issues but it was cheap and fun to play especially once I got a tate setup. Deathsmiles MBL 1.1 on Steam has absolutely no slowdown, the shmups community whines incessantly about this, but I rather enjoy it on easier difficulties, and love to watch competent players 1CC it.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 21, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ofecks posted:

There were a number of cool "ports" on NES where they took the basics of the arcade game but made an almost entirely new one around the console's limitations. Jackal, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Bionic Commando, Life Force, etc. All bad ports persay but I think they are still enjoyable games.

I'm not sure if it exists anywhere but I always kind of wanted to read about Ninja Gaiden's dev history in detail, especially since the NES games are so good and the arcade game is uhhhhhhh...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

On another note entirely, I want to hear everyone's "favorite" bad port. Maybe it stands out to you for being exceedingly shite, maybe you have a big ol' soft spot for it regardless.

NES Double Dragon comes to mind with how you had to unlock moves, in a game that only lasts half an hour and only has about 6-7 moves.

Double Dragon II was good though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I'm not sure if it exists anywhere but I always kind of wanted to read about Ninja Gaiden's dev history in detail, especially since the NES games are so good and the arcade game is uhhhhhhh...

It doesn't really go into port differences but they got three of the people on the game back for a retrospective thing a few years back.

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Ninja-Gaiden-Nintendo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I grew up with my sisters copy of the NES port of Marble Madness, and due to some unfortunate circumstances it was lost. When I was old enough to have my own pocket cash, I bought a GBA cart of Klax & Marble Madness and was thankful to finally have the game again. (I didn't know about emulators yet, and even if I did I would have been too good a kid to !!!break the law!!!)

Imagine my extreme joy at beating the third level of marble madness to be politely told 'game over' and sent to the title screen.

They ripped out the second half of the game. I can't imagine for storage constraints? The drat thing fit on an nes cart.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

h_double posted:

NES Double Dragon comes to mind with how you had to unlock moves, in a game that only lasts half an hour and only has about 6-7 moves.

It's a weird paradigm. The arcade version of 1 was awesome but the NES version sucked while the NES version of 2 was excellent but the arcade version was eh. 3 is garbage all across the board but at least the NES version 3 is better than the non-Technos Japan developed versions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Gonna double post for this:

https://www.skyskipperproject.com/our-day-at-noa/

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Reminds me of Rebecca Heineman's solution when tasked with porting Doom to 3DO on two month's notice.

I guess the 32X port of Doom is my favorite bad port.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's a weird paradigm. The arcade version of 1 was awesome but the NES version sucked while the NES version of 2 was excellent but the arcade version was eh. 3 is garbage all across the board but at least the NES version 3 is better than the non-Technos Japan developed versions.

The SMS version of 1 was great, flicker aside.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Random Stranger posted:

The reason people look for that particular revision of the Genesis 2 (the vents with the em shielding that doesn't go all the way across) is that it has a bit better sound than the other models. And considering how the Genesis usually sounded, it needed all the help it could get. :v:

You are quite the villian sir :mad:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/21/13481450/ninja-gaiden-soundtrack-remaster-brave-wave

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone identify this Samsung CRT for me? And, if you can, tell me if it's good for retro gaming?

I have a 32 inch Sharp (32SC260) and it's really good. I use S-video on and it everything comes in crisp and wonderful. However the thing weighs a million tons, so I want to try to get something that weighs a little less. The one pictured is 27" so it'll still weigh a ton but even if it's 20 pounds lighter I can movie it around myself. The 32 inch I have now takes two of us.

Edit: I was searching craigslist for them and got the picture from one of the listings. I blacked out the person's face in the reflection.

I used to have this set. Gamecube with component video was fantastic on this set. It's been a while since I did retrogaming on it, but I remember SVIDEO from my 8-bit Atari computers looking good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The GBC version of Driver was the usual top down rubbish, but I got way more fun out of it than the PS1 Driver.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Anyone used a K101Revo Plus before? Found one for 89 bucks and seems like a nice backup to my SP since new ones are like 124 bucks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

h_double posted:

Man I forgot about that. How could I forget every playing session beginning with a giant chunk of time kicking a Linda, moving, kicking her again, repeat until a short time left.

That and Rygar, which started with my NES Advantage rubber banded down with auto fire on to kill a set of infinitely respawning mobs and then walking away for a half hour to come back with max power ups

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

njsykora posted:

The GBC version of Driver was the usual top down rubbish, but I got way more fun out of it than the PS1 Driver.

If you can pass the tutorial, I think most people would have gotten more fun out of the GBC version than the PS1 version.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

AcidRonin posted:

Anyone used a K101Revo Plus before? Found one for 89 bucks and seems like a nice backup to my SP since new ones are like 124 bucks.

It's not 1:1 or 2:1 pixel scaling, so you'll get jaggies if you stretch it out. But, I saw good things about it on Ashens' channel.

Personally, I'd want something bigger, like this:

http://www.jxdofficial.com/jxd-s7300c-7-inch-quad-core-game-console.html

but it's not exactly pocketable.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Random Stranger posted:

The Genesis can sound quite good, the problem is that most people back then had no idea how to properly utilize FM synthesis.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 22, 2016

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Rollersnake posted:

What's the most visually impressive 2600 game, anyway? Pole Position?

Pretty much any Supercharger game, especially Escape From The Mindmaster.

If that's too much of a special case, I'd say Pitfall II. Activision always had such a good eye for design on the 2600, graphics that looked good and distinctive on the limited hardware.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My High Definition Graphics model one is still the best for everything though right?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RodShaft posted:

My High Definition Graphics model one is still the best for everything though right?

It should be, if only because it would be an early model from when Sega was laying down the initial groundwork for the Genesis' sound (for better or worse).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RodShaft posted:

Aside from looking like it's on life support if you fully wire it for Stereo CD and 32x use, yes.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Favorite terrible ports, hmm? Does Daytona USA count? They got the gameplay correct, I suppose, but that framerate, egh.

I'd say Saturn Tomb Raider, but that was developed for the Saturn to begin with, and in fact the superior PS1 and PC versions were ports away from it, so that wouldn't be terribly accurate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Favorite bad port has to be SMB Deluxe for GBC. It's SMB1, but they had to zoom it in very close to get it to work right, and it results in a lot of blind jumps and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpBiykYoAI

d0s posted:

if she's smart it's because that place is a ridiculously overpriced scam house
Ugh yes, VGNY has a lot of cool and uncommon stuff but a lot of their prices are outright ridiculous, especially NES/SNES. I wonder how much of their business relies on NYU students.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 22, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

univbee posted:

Aside from looking like it's on life support if you fully wire it for Stereo CD and 32x use, yes.

Isn't that every Genesis model when hooked up to both SCD and 32X though?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

shyduck posted:

Favorite bad port has to be SMB Deluxe for GBC. It's SMB1, but they had to zoom it in very close to get it to work right, and it results in a lot of blind jumps and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpBiykYoAI
Ugh yes, VGNY has a lot of cool and uncommon stuff but a lot of their prices are outright ridiculous, especially NES/SNES. I wonder how much of their business relies on NYU students.

God, I never realized how zoomed-in it was compared to the NES version as a kid, but now... yowza.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Isn't that every Genesis model when hooked up to both SCD and 32X though?

A model 1 only outputs Stereo sound from the front headphone jack so you have a cord draping from the front going to the back. With a model 2 you can, theoretically, tuck the cords out the back and out of sight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I played the absolute poo poo out of SMB DX and I wish they'd released it as a GBA launch title instead of a GBC game, it was great in every way except for the heavy cropping.

What's extra weird about SMB DX is that it didn't get a retail release in Japan, it was exclusively released as a downloadable game for the Nintendo Power rewritable flash cart.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

shyduck posted:

Rayman Advance is a similar example. Technically impressive, especially for a GBA launch title, but zoomed in to the point where you're having to guess about a lot of jumps and the verticality of many of the levels just makes things worse.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

univbee posted:

A model 1 only outputs Stereo sound from the front headphone jack so you have a cord draping from the front going to the back. With a model 2 you can, theoretically, tuck the cords out the back and out of sight.

This is actually a pretty common myth, the Sega CD will happily output stereo sound without using the headphone jack routed to the SCD UNLESS you want to use the RCA ports on the back of your Sega CD for convenience or something. It's much easier to use your existing 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter (you are using one right?) without loving with patch cables or whatever.

Obviously if you're using Mono, then it'll also output that fine via RF or composite.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have an rpi 3 lyin around, does anyone have an good retro styled case (either physical or an STL file) that they'd recommend if I ever got around to making it a faux nes classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Medullah posted:

Man I forgot about that. How could I forget every playing session beginning with a giant chunk of time kicking a Linda, moving, kicking her again, repeat until a short time left.

Punching gives you more points. Weapons give you the most points.

• Locked thread