Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AlternateNu posted:

Best slice-of-life that doesn't focus on middle/high schoolers and isn't Shirobako, Nana, or Usagi Drop?

uh... new game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

*Channels spirit of zorak* none of those are slice of life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new game is the only show i can think of that fits the criteria

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Haven't seen it, but wouldn't Servant x Service fit?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

a kitten posted:

What the heck, there's nothing left hanging in ssy.

A-plot is about the people in the town, and the creepy cultish society they live in. The MC spends a bunch of time leaning about and struggling with its brainwashing and murder-cats and the like. She even gets set up to be a leader, and seems willing to make reforms, and then... we time skip, forget about all that, and focus on the mole rat B-plot. It's like the MC had a 'learn to love big brother' moment, but off screen, and it never gets mentioned. I think the epilogue even has her raising the murder-cats, something she seemed personally against before.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Best slice-of-life that doesn't focus on middle/high schoolers and isn't Shirobako, Nana, or Usagi Drop?

Not sure if slice of life, but not sure your examples are either :v:

Sweetness and Lightning
Honey and Clover

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. Maybe I should say, "real-life" drama/comedy? Like, I'm not looking for Durarara! or LoGH, here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

barakamon, princess jellyfish, only yesterday, servant x service (working maybe, mixed cast, 90% work setting), saint young men (movie), honobono log, spice and wolf, hyouge mono, wakako-zake

edit: showa rakugo

Davincie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 23, 2016

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

a kitten posted:

Sweetness and Lightning

In that vein, Poco's Udon world is currently airing and super adorable, it's about a guy who is taking care of a Tanuki that has taken the form of a small child.

Wakako Zake was a short that you could also call slice of life, it's about an office lady going to various bars to relax after work.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. Maybe I should say, "real-life" drama/comedy? Like, I'm not looking for Durarara! or LoGH, here.

That's what i figured, so that's exactly what I recommended. But now I'm adding davinci's list too. Especially Jellyfish Princess!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Patlabor: TV Series

Giant robots, police procedural and slice-of-life all in one!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Genshiken. 1st season, OVAs, second season, but avoid Genshiken 2, which is different than season 2

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

If you're okay with currently airing shows Fune wo Amu fits this pretty well, it's about people making a dictionary. It's probably not going to be available legally outside of the UK until after it's finished airing, though

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Higurashi definitely, maybe check out Another and Shiki.
You could try Lain and Boogiepop Phantom though the horror/mystery in those is of a much different kind.

I already watched another and Shiki. Another had potential to be good but bad execution imo. Shiki was great though humans showing vampires who the true monsters are. Also Higurashi is pretty good, I've seen both seasons.
I had Lain and Boogiepop on my to watch list, I'll check it out.

Davincie posted:

mouryo no hako but read the prequel book or manga first

I never thought I would see someone suggesting Mouryo no hako. I already saw it, I found it accidentally when I was on a binge watching everything Madhouse made. It definitely is creepy and super atmospheric a bit convoluted at times but still good.

Ghost hound is a good suggestion though I hadn't heard of it but from the summary it looks very interesting, getting some Stranger Things vibe from it with the parallel worlds.

quote:

Monster
Paranoia Agent

Monster is probably one of my favorite animes of all time and I been reading Urasawa's Pluto which is also amazing but mainly political thriller. I hope one day Urasawa's other works get animated they are ALL good.

Paranoia Agent was a bit hard to comprehend and I was really young when I saw it so I don't remember much about it.

smenj posted:

From The New World/Shin Sekai Yori got mentioned not long ago. Not every episode is like that, and it takes a little while to get there, but the show is incredibly tense and has a hell of a lot of atmosphere, particularly in the second half. A good amount of horror/mystery/suspense, certainly worth checking out.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There was a rumor about a Pluto OVA a year or two ago that was very disappointing when it didn't materialize.

I don't agree with Shiki, if anything I think it was elevated by the execution. One of my favorites, with a pretty incredible OST and a no nonsense approach to character death.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pavlov posted:

A-plot is about the people in the town, and the creepy cultish society they live in. The MC spends a bunch of time leaning about and struggling with its brainwashing and murder-cats and the like. She even gets set up to be a leader, and seems willing to make reforms, and then... we time skip, forget about all that, and focus on the mole rat B-plot. It's like the MC had a 'learn to love big brother' moment, but off screen, and it never gets mentioned. I think the epilogue even has her raising the murder-cats, something she seemed personally against before.

It gets resolved, they learn to accept the dangers of fiends and the steps taken to stop them. The last scene is her finishing the book she had been narrating through the entire series and talking to Satoru about how they hope it will change people's minds. Basically once they see why people are scared of fiends they slow their roll a bit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pavlov posted:

socialsecurity posted:

It gets resolved, they learn to accept the dangers of fiends and the steps taken to stop them. The last scene is her finishing the book she had been narrating through the entire series and talking to Satoru about how they hope it will change people's minds. Basically once they see why people are scared of fiends they slow their roll a bit.

It's neither of these things, exactly; she doesn't "accept" her society, she's just powerless to change it on that kind of scale. Hence her mercy-killing Squealer in secrecy. It's the best she can do for him.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 24, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The specific steps they take to stop the fiends are kind of dumb and based on shaky logic though. There's others ways you could protect against them besides what they're doing. And she was literally being groomed to be the next leader. That's not really a powerless position. If nothing else she had boss-lady's ear. Obviously something must have happened to change the her MO, but it happened off screen, and we never hear about it after. That's why I say the plotline's more forgotten than it is resolved.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

There was a rumor about a Pluto OVA a year or two ago that was very disappointing when it didn't materialize.

I don't agree with Shiki, if anything I think it was elevated by the execution. One of my favorites, with a pretty incredible OST and a no nonsense approach to character death.

Oh ya I meant Another had lovely execution and not Shiki. Shiki is a freakin masterpiece imo and way too underrated. The OST is beautiful I agree.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AlternateNu posted:

Servant x Service and Poco's Udon World were already mentioned, but I like them a lot so here they are again.

I'd also strongly recommend Fune wo Amu and Girlish Number if you aren't already watching them this season.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ulio posted:

Oh ya I meant Another had lovely execution and not Shiki. Shiki is a freakin masterpiece imo and way too underrated. The OST is beautiful I agree.

Oh cool, fwew. Yeah I couldn't get into Another so... theory checks out?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Another is really bad but it is well produced and gets that eerie Japanese horror games feeling like Fatal Frame or Silent Hill. The small isolated town and weird characters around every corner. The story just made 0 sense and even the premise was uninteresting but they were trying to make it out to be the biggest thing. If people keep dieing in a certain class just change class. It's that thing where every character in a horror movie/show is a complete total idiot. If you move past all flaws and don't take it too seriously it is a fun short show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
another was directed by the same guy as mayoiga, who's directed tons of comedy shows in general, so that's probably why it is the way it is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

another was directed by the same guy as mayoiga, who's directed tons of comedy shows in general, so that's probably why it is the way it is

Mayoiga is better than Another, mostly on account of it has slightly more audacity w/r/t doing amazing, stupid things, but both of them feel like half-assed attempts at the tone that reaches its apotheosis in Mirai Nikki.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm enjoying madoka well enough so far. just finished the third episode.

the visuals and atmosphere for this show are really spot on, so far they're kind of carrying the show. i understand that the big plot stuff isn't quite in play yet, though i thought that when blondie died it seemed a bit, i dunno, off tonally? like it seems like this is a really big shaping moment for the characters, but the death isn't really shown in any particular detail and they spend incredibly little time on the characters' reactions to it until a little while later, after black hair has killed the witch. the impact feels a little lessened for me, though next episode miss "i'm not sure i even want a wish" can just wish her back to life i guess

they're putting an awful lot of emphasis on the importance of the wishes, which seems a little strange so far since they haven't really hinted at it being a monkey's paw type deal or anything. i guess that's something that will just make more sense after the wishes have been made.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ok so episode 4 really delivered on what i was looking for

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Has there been any anime as funny as The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys since its release (2012)?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

Has there been any anime as funny as The Daily Lives of Highschool Boys since its release (2012)?

Osomatsu-san

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

gmq posted:

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun perhaps wasn't quite as funny, but it came drat close for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Barakamon was pretty god drat funny.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a kitten posted:

Osomatsu-san

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

gmq posted:

smenj posted:

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun perhaps wasn't quite as funny, but it came drat close for me.

Nozaki is hilarious. I would also recommend Sakamoto desu ga? I loved it, some other people hated it, but I think it's worth a 3-episode test if you're looking for good absurd comedy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Osomatsu-san

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

Osomatsu-san

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mayoiga is better than Another, mostly on account of it has slightly more audacity w/r/t doing amazing, stupid things, but both of them feel like half-assed attempts at the tone that reaches its apotheosis in Mirai Nikki.

Ya exactly. Also I know Another is an adaptation maybe that is why he didn't try to experiment with different stuff. There is a manga for Mayoiga but it started after the anime aired so its an anime original which is why the director made it so whacky. I normally don't get butthurt about MAL scores but Mayoiga has an average of 5.81 which is ridiculously low imo. I feel like a lot of people just rated it after the first few episodes when they saw it wasn't a straight horror show.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a lot of the people who watched mayoiga simply didn't understand very basic facts about the genre like that horror can by intentionally funny, that you don't need character development for every cast member and that not everything has to make logical sense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
5.81 is far from ridiculously low. lots of old shows and ovas that aren't necessarily amazing but aren't bad either hover around 6

personally the only reason i dropped mayoiga was because i got kind of tired of it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I definitely cant say it gets better, it just is more of the same. If you don't like the tongue and cheek horror/comedy or Cabin in the woods type parody of horror you probably won't like it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

After a while it stops escalating and starts drawing things to a close which is the worst thing they could have done under the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mayoiga is fantastic and I love it