Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

General Dog posted:

When's the last time a P5 school got its head coach hired away? Was it when Tuberville left Tech? There's always so much talk of "x" power 5 coach being a candidate for a bigger power 5, but it seems like in recent history it practically never happens.

Doesn't Wisconsin lose their head coach like every 4 years to some mediocre Power 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Doesn't Wisconsin lose their head coach like every 4 years to some mediocre Power 5?

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that was weird. And Oregon State lost their coach to Nebraska. That seems to be a common theme, when these moves happen they're weirdly lateral or seemingly a step down. The Wisconsin coaches, Tuberville to Cincy, Fran leaving Bama for A&M.

I guess I forgot Kiffin to USC and Sark to USC too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Coaches left Wisconsin because they didn't want to put up with Barry Alvarez and a pitifully small assistant salary pool.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Eltoasto posted:

OSU Co-DC Fickell is being rumored for the FAU head coach job, there is a relationship with the AD there. If he goes and Schiano finds a HC job, could leave OSU looking for a DC and Urbz may call up his old friend Charlie Strong.

Can't believe it's taken this long for him to get attention, but he's got that weird Addazio quality where he's a great position coach, garbage coordinator, who may turn out to be decent as a HC. He'd recruit pretty well down there, but you really hope he doesn't just pitch the Tresselball they played at OSU during his interim time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Todd Graham might sort of count too, depending on how you view Pitt and the death of the Big East.

Ok I had to look it up to make sure PItt was actually in the ACC. There are a few good teams in the ACC, but man are there some completely forgettable teams in that conference.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Todd Graham might sort of count too, depending on how you view Pitt and the death of the Big East.

Ok I had to look it up to make sure PItt was actually in the ACC. There are a few good teams in the ACC, but man are there some completely forgettable teams in that conference.

I don't think they were in the ACC yet when he left, but the Big East was still a power conference at least in name at that point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

When's the last time a P5 school got its head coach hired away? Was it when Tuberville left Tech? There's always so much talk of "x" P5 coach being a candidate for a bigger P5 job, but it seems like in recent history it practically never happens. I guess Cincy was technically in a BCS conference when Brian Kelly left.

Saban going from Michigan State to LSU springs to mind but I'm sure there have been others since then.

Oh, Rich Rod to Michigan is another. And Urban to Ohio State in a roundabout way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Can't believe it's taken this long for him to get attention, but he's got that weird Addazio quality where he's a great position coach, garbage coordinator, who may turn out to be decent as a HC. He'd recruit pretty well down there, but you really hope he doesn't just pitch the Tresselball they played at OSU during his interim time.

I give Fickell some leeway as HC because he was dealt a pretty brutal hand given the circumstances. To jump right from coordinator to HC of one of the biggest programs in the country has to be surreal, and on top of that you've got a huge mess surrounding the program with the firing of the long-time previous coach and all the NCAA investigations and restrictions. Going .500 and to the Gator Bowl given the circumstances wasn't ultra impressive but man that could have been a ton worse.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

DJExile posted:

Coaches left Wisconsin because they didn't want to put up with Barry Alvarez and a pitifully small assistant salary pool.

I was pretty shocked when Todd Orlando turned down the DC job there (his alma mater, as well) after Aranda left. Was it just down to salary? He's been making half a million at Houston

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I don't think they were in the ACC yet when he left, but the Big East was still a power conference at least in name at that point.

No they were still in the Big East at the time but they accepted an invitation to the ACC effective a couple of years later I believe. Wiki says September of the year Graham was there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

I was pretty shocked when Todd Orlando turned down the DC job there (his alma mater, as well) after Aranda left. Was it just down to salary? He's been making half a million at Houston

If memory serves, when Bielma left for Arkansas he (or someone close to him) said the assistant salary pool basically doubled to like $2m. A $1m assistant salary pool for a major team in the Big Ten is an absolute joke.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Time posted:

RE: Sweatervest

It's been a while...was it just the tattoo poo poo and covering it up? What a stupid hill to die on for him

OTOH, in wake of PSU and Baylor and UNC and etc, what Tressel did makes him a saint

Time posted:

Do we have any Youngstown State people in here? How is he doing as President?

I have a family friend that was a history prof at YSU

He didnt like Tressel that much IIRC

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

If the Big East counts, then Texas hired Strong away from a power conference school. Or maybe that counts as stealing an ACC coach because his next conference game would've been in the ACC had he stayed put.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah and James Franklin to Penn State

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also me every season in NCAA 04.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that, that was weird. And Oregon State lost their coach to Nebraska. That seems to be a common theme, when these moves happen they're weirdly lateral or seemingly a step down. The Wisconsin coaches, Tuberville to Cincy, Fran leaving Bama for A&M.

I guess I forgot Kiffin to USC and Sark to USC too.

Tubs to Cincy was him conning another school into taking him, knowing that he had 0 chance of winning in a do-or-die 2013 season.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tubs walking out during dinner owned

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hey Texas fans

Did you like Clemson's WRs?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

Oh yeah and James Franklin to Penn State

Yeah, but he went from a traditional bottom feeder program to a traditional top 10 program. That isn't some awkwardly lateral/downward move like Beliema to Arkansas.

Not P5, but you have to wonder if BYU to Virginia is really an upgrade for Mendenhall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Pitt has lost a coach seemingly like every other year.

DJExile posted:

The salary pool seems bigger when you factor in that the actual head coach is Barry Alvarez

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Will Bill Taggart go anywhere? He seems to have made USF not suck and they're ranked for the first time in five years.

According to my dad all the local Tampa papers are saying he's actively looking for a bigger job.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

According to my dad all the local Tampa papers are saying he's actively looking for a bigger job.

He was on the hot seat there not too long ago, needs to capitalize on this good season.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

When's the last time a P5 school got its head coach hired away? Was it when Tuberville left Tech?

Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas right as UL was transitioning to the ACC.

More recently, Gary Andersen left Wisconsin to coach at Oregon State when Mike Riley left for Nebraska. Paul Chryst then left Pitt to take the Wisconsin job.

Kiffin from Tennessee to USC and Sarkisian from Wasington to USC are the two more recent ones I can think of involving departures from "good" P5 programs.

Long story, short: it's not terribly uncommon.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

The salary pool seems bigger when you factor in that the actual head coach is Barry Alvarez

lol fair point

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Early indications are that Herman will be transplanting most or all of his position/S&C coaches from Houston to Texas. A little underwhelming, but whatever. Apparently his TE coach from Houston was on the plane to with him when he came to Austin on Saturday and has been around since then, which kinda makes the Brewster rumors seem like BS unless he's picturing one of those guys in a different role. OC and DC are supposedly still up in the air.

If Herman can't get someone like Aranda or maybe Gibson from WVU, his DC at Houston certainly seemed to do well enough against spread offenses. Orlando's coaching Houston in their bowl game, but if he's not named as permanent HC he might be willing to tag along. I have no idea who the OC should be, I kind of imagine they'll be using Herman's playbook regardless but what do I know. Houston OC Major Applewhite is almost certainly not a possibility due to the ongoing Bev Kearney lawsuit. Basically the women's track coach got fired after it came out that she was having sex with an athlete on her team, whose scholarship she controlled and who generally answered directly to her. She is now suing and claiming discrimination, in part because Applewhite got sanctioned but not fired for having sex with a student trainer, who was not his direct subordinate, while he was the OC here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Really not wanting Applewhite as OC

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas right as UL was transitioning to the ACC.

More recently, Gary Andersen left Wisconsin to coach at Oregon State when Mike Riley left for Nebraska. Paul Chryst then left Pitt to take the Wisconsin job.

Kiffin from Tennessee to USC and Sarkisian from Wasington to USC are the two more recent ones I can think of involving departures from "good" P5 programs.

Long story, short: it's not terribly uncommon.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but after careful consideration I think my earlier post was wrong.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'm shocked Applewhite is allowed back at UT. (Not necessarily because of what he did but because of the university's reaction/punishment to the next person that did the same thing.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yeah me neither. I wouldn't mind Gilbert sticking around though. A little diversity in offensive philosophy might do Texas some good.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

It'll be funny when Houston promotes him to HC and he gets one year under his belt before A&M fires Sumlin and comes calling. After a little soul searching about hiring a Longhorn, of course.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
LSU is keeping Dave Aranda with a new three year contract and is now the associate head coach.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_b7d39386-b4cc-11e6-905c-27ef3ac0bcfa.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

quote:

Aranda agreed to a new three-year contract to remain with the Tigers, multiple sources told The Advocate on Monday — a momentous offseason victory for the program’s new full-time coach.

Aranda, the 40-year-old defensive whiz whose group allowed 11 touchdowns in the season's first 10 games, was out recruiting Monday, but he agreed to a new contract that officials drafted Saturday morning.

The contract was expected to include a raise, an extension and a new title of associate head coach. Aranda signed a three-year contract in January, paying him $1.2 million per year, and his group lived up to lofty preseason expectations.

Here is the binder that got Coach O his job.

https://twitter.com/DerekPonamsky/status/803213261172776960

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Why does it look like Derek Ponamsky is the guy interviewing for the job

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Adun posted:

Why does it look like Derek Ponamsky is the guy interviewing for the job

https://twitter.com/DerekPonamsky/status/803285084719681536

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Coach O - "Please review this binder I have prepared, my pen name is Derek Ponamsky"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that whole binder is just one faulknerian sentence

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If Orgeron doesn't work out Aranda probably has an inside line for the job.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

big money big clit posted:

I'm perfectly ok with that. But I'll bet he's going to the NFL as his next stop.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
God drat I'm still pumped that Coach O will be a head coach at a major program.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mike the Tiger's Crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

big money big clit posted:

Even with the extension I think he should be pretty high on Oregon's list, assuming he'd be willing/able to find a good OC. They're probably gonna look for someone with HC experience though.

• Locked thread