Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Saladin Rising posted:

One more three letter organization for the pile: SNR, Syrian National Resistance (or Syrian Patriotic Resistance). This is the name of the new hybrid SAA/SDF faction near Al Bab, and they kicked things off with a pretty strongly-worded statement:
https://twitter.com/IvanSidorenko1/status/803398530949906432
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5ffwl5/inaugural_statement_from_snr_syrian_national/
Helpful background info on the group:

Notable things about the statement:
-The wording pulls from the playbooks of both the SDF (free, democratic) and SAA (patriotic, united).
-Very anti-Turkey/anti-Ottoman in tone, even by SDF standards
-Hitler name drop, but it's in reference to the Ottoman genocides so it doesn't feel out of place
-Jarablus to Iskandarun. Iskandarun is in Hatay province, aka that little chunk of Turkey that Syria wants back.
-The SNR has a flag:

It looks very similar to the SDF's flag, complete with Hatay being part of Syria.

I guess this simplifies the race to Al Bab a little.

I guess SDF feels like it's better off hitching its wagon to the SAA in case of a Turkish invasion but this might also give Turkey a better pretext to attack the SAA itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
It's kinda weird for keyboard warriors to constantly harangue Al Saqr for not constantly criticizing his government given they very publicly crucified and decapitated kids for doing that kind of poo poo not too long ago. TBH the opinions he does give are probably riskier than anything they've done in their lives. Like, do we need him to slit his own throat to satisfy this threads worst shitposters purity requirements?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sergg posted:

*10 years later*

Wha..? Why is Syria going through another civil war? That's weird, I thought they settled all those issues in the last one when everyone agreed to get massacred by a genocidal tyrant for all eternity.

A civil war in 10 years is better than a civil war in 6 months, aka what the non-existent opposition coalition would result in.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Schizotek posted:

It's kinda weird for keyboard warriors to constantly harangue Al Saqr for not constantly criticizing his government given they very publicly crucified and decapitated kids for doing that kind of poo poo not too long ago. TBH the opinions he does give are probably riskier than anything they've done in their lives. Like, do we need him to slit his own throat to satisfy this threads worst shitposters purity requirements?

"Because its dangerous to criticize the people in power so don't do it" is a really lovely path that Im not sure you want to support and essentially cripples any remote chance of reform or discussion of the issue. He can get one of those secure private proxy services if he does not already have one and if the government is as bad as everyone is saying then I would be surprised why he doesn't have one.

Edit: This is not to say I don't appreciate their contributions to the thread and their viewpoint. I just find a bit odd that we find that excuse acceptable when there are other super lovely governments that are way better at monitoring this type of thing and yet people still find ways to discuss and dissent online.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
... are there really? As a Chinese who sometimes posts from China, I feel like Saudi would be near the top of the list for "don't talk poo poo from here". Not counting failed states like NK of course.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

I like that the flag is literally a representation of the SDF and SAA teaming up to punch Turkey.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Any idea what this means in the long run? I'm wondering if the Russians convinced the regime to give the SDF the federalism they wanted.
Right now there's probably still a lot of hashing out being done behind closed doors, and given that the SAA's still really busy with Aleppo this might be a way for the regime to open another front without having to move huge numbers of troops away from Aleppo. This might also be something of a test run, to see if the SDF and the SAA can work together to achieve a common goal.

Additionally, things might have been pushed into high gear by the fact that Euphrates Shield had/has reached the outskirts of Al Bab. Most of the towns that Euphrates Shield controls now (with the exception of Jarablus) are tiny little places that can be taken fairly quickly, but the SAA or the SDF attempting to dislodge Euphrates Shield from a place as large as Al Bab would be an incredible slog. So this new alliance may be a way to cut that possibility off before it happens.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I guess SDF feels like it's better off hitching its wagon to the SAA in case of a Turkish invasion but this might also give Turkey a better pretext to attack the SAA itself.
Honestly if Turkey wanted to directly attack the SAA they would have done it already. They had a clear shot at Aleppo and chose to piss around fighting in Tal Rifaat instead. Attacking the SAA now would bring Russian/Syrian planes after Euphrates Shield in force, and help to solidify this new SAA/SDF cooperation. (Not to mention that it would prove that Euphrates Shield's whole existence is to be anti-YPG to the point of stupidity.)

E:
https://twitter.com/theatresofwar/status/803664457247453184

quote:

The race is on for Al-Bab - Northern #Aleppo province, N #Syria - #RaceForAlbab
If the SAA had waited much longer, Al Bab would have been encircled by Euphrates Shield. This was a "the longer you wait, the harder it gets" kind of moment.

lol that hashtag

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, I'm starting to wonder if this was some sort of play by Putin to get back at Erdogan for the jet shoot down: Act like his buddy, alienate Erdogan from NATO and Europe, and drag him into this mess where he's going to get his rear end trounced.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So in some Clancy-esq fever dream where a Ruski-SAA-SDF triple team turns the battle around and pushes Turkey into a defensive war back to their boarders, they can't at that point invoke Art.V right? :ohdear:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
If somehow this war spills into Turkey I don't think the response would hinge on a technicality. Either Uncle Sam is okay with it or he's not.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

thatfatkid posted:

I like that the flag is literally a representation of the SDF and SAA teaming up to punch Turkey.

lol, hadn't noticed that. Pretty representative I guess.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Telsa Cola posted:

"Because its dangerous to criticize the people in power so don't do it" is a really lovely path that Im not sure you want to support and essentially cripples any remote chance of reform or discussion of the issue. He can get one of those secure private proxy services if he does not already have one and if the government is as bad as everyone is saying then I would be surprised why he doesn't have one.

Edit: This is not to say I don't appreciate their contributions to the thread and their viewpoint. I just find a bit odd that we find that excuse acceptable when there are other super lovely governments that are way better at monitoring this type of thing and yet people still find ways to discuss and dissent online.

That's a hot take caller. Its great that you're willing to advocate for people risking their lives to further discussion. Heroes like you are who relentless push change with the lives of others to ensure reform. Bravo.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 30, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't blame anyone for choosing not to endure risk I can't say I would endure to speak out, but it obviously is frustrating to argue with someone when you can't tell if their arguments have major blind spots because of ethnic and sectarian preferences or if it comes from trying to stay on the right side of security services. We all know how frustrating it is to argue with someone who can't admit the US has ever done anything wrong, and while I feel sympathy for people who live in countries with less freedom of expression, that doesn't make it a whole lot easier to deal with (though yeah, dealing with that frustration on my end is still far easier than dealing with it on theirs).

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 30, 2016

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Any idea what this means in the long run? I'm wondering if the Russians convinced the regime to give the SDF the federalism they wanted.

It would result in backdoor recognition of Crimea and open a front door towards future expansionism and military intervention. I believe this is the long term goal of Russia's intervention in Syria and one of the key sticking points between them and Assad. By the Kurds joining forces with the Assadians and crippling the rebellion it would tie as neat a knot as possible to end the war. What other end would accomplish the political objectives of Russia while limiting its exposure to the economic pains of war? And at this point what intervention is possible that won't drastically expand the war?

"Better a horrible end than horror without end."

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Just to note, I'm not particularly enthused about the SDF working with the regime, but I can understand why they're doing it. It's becoming fairly obvious now that Assad is going to "win" the civil war (with "win" meaning "rule over a bombed-out shell of a country") and the Kurds are opportunists. As said a few pages back:

Squalid posted:

The PYD has consistently pursued a policy of Kurdish autonomy throughout the conflict, seeking accommodation with the regime when possible and refusing to commit to the wider Syrian revolution. Volkerball has cited instances in the early revolution when Syrian secret police were allowed to operate freely within PYD controlled territory. Their stance has always been to seek to advance the interests of Syria's Kurdish population first, before commitment to the revolution or any pan-Syrian objectives. I think for this reason you can fairly call them sectarian.

I don't think that is a fair criticism of the organization however. PYD exists to advance the interests of Syria's Kurds, and the opposition was never willing to offer the kinds of concessions on autonomy they wanted. Given the bloody history of tyrants and Arabs/Alawites crushing opposition under the banner of Syrian unity, they were right to view similar claims of brotherhood from the rebels with skepticism.
I'd say "opportunistic" is a better descriptor than "sectarian", but yeah. On the flip side of opportunism, early in the battle of Aleppo the Kurds turned a blind eye to the rebels moving troops/supplies/equipment through Sheikh Maqsood in order to attack the regime. This was back when the regime was on the back foot and it looked like Aleppo was going to fall to the rebels, now the reverse is true.

Speaking of Aleppo:
https://twitter.com/sergermedx/status/803709528504082432

quote:

SDF/YPG distributing food to civilians in Baghidin,Bostan Basha & Hellok neighbourhoods of Aleppo.
Life goes on, no matter who the new faction in control is.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sorry we're not all gung-ho about interventionism, Sergg. Guess you could say the West is all interventioned out..

I don't advocate for more US intervention. We don't have a credible path to intervene, we've burned our bridges.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Hrm yase, because deposing Assad would just end the civil war and there would be a lovely peace as jihadist militias supported by the Gulf States attempt to massacre and crush Alawites, Shia, Kurds, and other ethnic and religious minorities in Syria

Hrm yase because Assad and his minority Alawite rule certainly isn't the reason for the civil war in the first place. Nothing good comes from him winning but a temporary armistice.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I guess this is the part where I remind people that Saudi Arabia is a country that frequently and very publicly punishes online dissidents with whippings, jailings, or worse. Also where I remind people that Al-Saqr's had friends murdered by the Syrian regime. I dunno if you guys forgot that part but he mentions it semi-frequently. How did they die again? I believe it was your standard abduction/torture/kill type of deal?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Saladin Rising posted:

Just to note, I'm not particularly enthused about the SDF working with the regime, but I can understand why they're doing it. It's becoming fairly obvious now that Assad is going to "win" the civil war (with "win" meaning "rule over a bombed-out shell of a country") and the Kurds are opportunists. As said a few pages back:

I'd say "opportunistic" is a better descriptor than "sectarian", but yeah. On the flip side of opportunism, early in the battle of Aleppo the Kurds turned a blind eye to the rebels moving troops/supplies/equipment through Sheikh Maqsood in order to attack the regime. This was back when the regime was on the back foot and it looked like Aleppo was going to fall to the rebels, now the reverse is true.

Speaking of Aleppo:
https://twitter.com/sergermedx/status/803709528504082432

Life goes on, no matter who the new faction in control is.

Let's make a list of all the fools who have opportunistically made deals with the regime and didn't get burned by it:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Telsa Cola posted:

Hey Rambo, are you going to gather a group of A-Team super warriors to come to the gulf and rescue the online dissenters who are on the chopping block for speaking out against the United States second best allies in the region on an internet comedy forum? no? you're a privileged bozo who never had to experience real opression? well then, shut your loving mouth on who's taking the lovely paths.

Sinteres posted:

when you can't tell if their arguments have major blind spots because of ethnic and sectarian preferences or if it comes from trying to stay on the right side of security services.

You are more of an ethnic and sectarian apologist than I will ever be so eat my rear end if you think I give a flying poo poo about who's sect is what when what they're doing is criminal.

Super cool of the ethnic supremacists who helped ensure Bashar's' fascist genocide succeed and destroy them and re-enslave them are now giving them bread now that they're probably going to get shoved into torture prisons. loving murderers. their turn will be next and they only have themselves to blame.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 30, 2016

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Sergg posted:

Hrm yase because Assad and his minority Alawite rule certainly isn't the reason for the civil war in the first place. Nothing good comes from him winning but a temporary armistice.

And a jihadist victory wouldn't somehow lead to the same scenario because...? You only have to look at Libya and see how stable such a victory would be not at all

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey Rambo, are you going to gather a group of A-Team super warriors to come to the gulf and rescue the online dissenters who are on the chopping block for speaking out against the United States second best allies in the region on an internet comedy forum? no? then shut your loving mouth on who's taking the lovely paths.

You are more of an ethnic and sectarian apologist than I will ever be so eat my rear end if you think I give a flying poo poo about who's sect is what when what they're doing is criminal.

Super cool of the loving ethnic supremacists who helped ensure Bashar's' fascist genocide succeed and destroy them and re-enslave them are now giving them bread now that they're probably going to get shoved into torture prisons. loving murderers. their turn will be next and they only have themselves to blame.

Calm down buddy.

thatfatkid fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Eliannuminas/status/803642194926178305

The YPG are so savvy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Calm down buddy.

I'm perfectly calm and contended and happy in the knowledge that, unlike you, I know what I'm talking about and I thank gently caress almighty I'll never have to live an existence as an illiterate fascist sympathizer Bogan like you.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/802560952528994304

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm perfectly calm and contended and happy in the knowledge that, unlike you, I know what I'm talking about and I thank gently caress almighty I'll never have to live an existence as an illiterate fascist sympathizer Bogan like you.
Why are you even this angry at a civil war conclusion you don't want?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Weird coincidence, the bush administration had a heckuva horse lawyer.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grouchio posted:

please stop

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

Same reason that I'm angry for the world not intervening in Rwanda.

Evil has literally won and the world watched, why shouldn't I be mad?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Squalid posted:

please stop
Sure thing.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Haha yes you certainly know what you're talking about. Your cheerleading of Turkey's expedition into Syria and crying about the SDF getting in their way because you thought they were going to relieve the Aleppo siege clearly illustrates that. Also i fail to see how you aren't a fascist sympathiser considering your support of Al-Nusra in this thread.

No need for name calling friend :)

thatfatkid fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 30, 2016

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
There aren't any good guys in Syria that you can back all the way without pissing off valued NATO ally Turkey, what's the best route to an end to the bloodshed? Because I don't see continuing to fuel the fires by providing partial support to this or that militia doing it.

On an even broader note, how would anyone go about bringing the US/KSA/Turkey/Iran to some sort of accord and stop them continuing to gently caress up the region from now to eternity?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Haha yes you certainly know what you're talking about. Your cheerleading of Turkey's expedition into Syria and crying about the SDF getting in their way because you thought they were going to relieve the Aleppo siege clearly illustrates that. Also i fail to see how you aren't a fascist sympathiser considering your support of Al-Nusra in this thread.

Nothing quite warms my heart than a lovely Australian defining to me what I know or don't know about the region I come from, and again you blow the dog whistle of calling people who oppose Assad as supporters of Al-Qaeda, it's really telling how much of a shithead you and people like you are.

Also yes, I unabashedly and proudly support any and all actions that would result in saving hundreds of thousands of lives from mass starvation, sure death and mass torture, hidden agendas, lovely Erdogan, whatever, those are small things if saving the people of Aleppo would be the result. Anyone, especially ethnic supremacist militias actively colluding with Assad and who actively and recently took towns and roads leading to Aleppo with help from Russian bombardment, ANYONE who lifts a single gun and actively stands in the way and actively protects Assads flanks and actively prevents saving human lives in Aleppo should either step aside or die a dogs death, I'm really sorry you're such a stupid twat that you equate 'opening the main roads and arteries towards saving aleppo' as 'destroying rojava' like a stupid person, and I'm sorry if you're too much of a lovely fascist sympathizer to recognize saving human lives as a bad thing.

I name call you because I feel like it, but you know what? you're right I should just put you on the ignore list.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 30, 2016

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

thatfatkid posted:

Do you ever contribute to this thread in any way other than accusing people of loving Jabhat al-Nusra over and over again?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sinteres posted:

I don't blame anyone for choosing not to endure risk I can't say I would endure to speak out, but it obviously is frustrating to argue with someone when you can't tell if their arguments have major blind spots because of ethnic and sectarian preferences or if it comes from trying to stay on the right side of security services. We all know how frustrating it is to argue with someone who can't admit the US has ever done anything wrong, and while I feel sympathy for people who live in countries with less freedom of expression, that doesn't make it a whole lot easier to deal with (though yeah, dealing with that frustration on my end is still far easier than dealing with it on theirs).

Al-Saqr was very much a humanist on all fronts before the Saudi involvement in Yemen blew up which was when it became highly prudent to go quiet.

Svartvit posted:

Do you ever contribute to this thread in any way other than accusing people of loving Jabhat al-Nusra over and over again?

Hey man someone's gotta keep the witch-fires fed.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 30, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Al-Saqr posted:

Nothing quite warms my heart than a lovely Australian defining to me what I know or don't know about the region I come from, and again you blow the dog whistle of calling people who oppose Assad as supporters of Al-Qaeda, it's really telling how much of a shithead you and people like you are.

Also yes, I unabashedly and proudly support any and all actions that would result in saving hundreds of thousands of lives from mass starvation, sure death and mass torture, hidden agendas, lovely Erdogan, whatever, those are small things if saving the people of Aleppo would be the result. Anyone, especially ethnic supremacist militias actively colluding with Assad and who actively and recently took towns and roads leading to Aleppo with help from Russian bombardment, ANYONE who lifts a single gun and actively stands in the way and actively protects Assads flanks and actively prevents saving human lives in Aleppo should either step aside or die a dogs death, I'm really sorry you're such a stupid twat that you equate 'opening the main roads and arteries towards saving aleppo' as 'destroying rojava' like a stupid person, and I'm sorry if you're too much of a lovely fascist sympathizer to recognize saving human lives as a bad thing.

I name call you because I feel like it, but you know what? you're right I should just put you on the ignore list.

Mm, yes, the wonders of Nusra and the FSA's capitalist agenda. I like it when you bring up the rebel 'leftists' who start shilling for 'liberal democracy' like engaging in coalitions of that sort ever really worked. All that does is get you murdered all the same. Any real Marxist has to choose allies purely based on strategic interest because a coalition of liberal democrats and reactionaries seeks to crush the left at all opportunities.

The FSA's agenda has been to destroy Rojava from the very start, which is why they bombard positions in Sheikh Massoud all the time.

Go on and shill for your bourgeois Gulf masters, though.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Please kindly stop with the personal attacks. My nationality has no bearing on the fact that you clearly despise the SDF/kurds for not aligning themselves with factions they have no ideological common ground with and are clearly deluded in your belief that Turkey's intervention into Syria was intended to relieve Aleppo but was prevented in doing so by the SDF. Euphrates Shield's only goal is to prevent the SDF from linking cantons, that's painfully obvious to anyone that isn't a bigot lusting for jihadist militias to murder the kurds like dogs. I'm sorry that you take offense at the reality of the Syrian civil war being pointed out to you.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That rap sheet Panzeh, wow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

rear end struggle posted:

Same reason that I'm angry for the world not intervening in Rwanda.

Evil has literally won and the world watched, why shouldn't I be mad?

The RPF got the job done, no US troops needed. They solved their own problem.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Al-Saqr clearly can't talk openly about his home country's policies, and we should appreciate and understand that.

It doesn't help though that he's essentially demanding that white soldiers come and fight and die on his behalf, and screaming that whites are racists because, y'know, they don't want to do that.

And - I may very well be wrong, if i am please do correct me - but a few years ago wasn't Al-Saqr cheering on the 'axis of resistance' as it killed Americans in Iraq and Israelis in Lebannon? But please, come back racist whites, all is forgiven, THIS TIME it'll be rose petals promise.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 30, 2016

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Svartvit posted:

He also says nakedly pro-Assad stuff from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Panzeh posted:

The RPF got the job done, no US troops needed. They solved their own problem.

As much as I appreciate the RPF dismantling the Hutu Power regime and following the Interhamwe into Zaire, let's not forget that it eventually resulted in as many deaths as the Holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Congo_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Congo_War

• Locked thread