Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Telling people not to engage with game mechanics generally isn't a good answer. They didn't do a good job with the leveling system for this game to be honest. It's one of the flaws but it's also apparently a flaw they're correcting so it's all good.

I just wish developers would give us more flexible difficulty options and choices for scaling. I had the same issue with the Witcher 3 because I wanted to do a lot of the side content but very quickly would end up overpowered if I tried to do even half of what I was offered. Just give me a mode called "I want to do everything" where xp scaling is adjusted so I'll be on level if I do all the side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Terrific Accident posted:

I just wish developers would give us more flexible difficulty options and choices for scaling. I had the same issue with the Witcher 3 because I wanted to do a lot of the side content but very quickly would end up overpowered if I tried to do even half of what I was offered. Just give me a mode called "I want to do everything" where xp scaling is adjusted so I'll be on level if I do all the side quests.

Doesn't Witcher 3 have a scale option?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Norns posted:

As of Patch 1.2, yes. It's a toggle option.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Norns posted:

There are mods to adjust xp gain amounts. There is an in-game option to make all enemies scale to your level but it causes some funny things like rat packs that will two shot you and things like that because they were never meant to be near the same level as you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I unironically like the system that Lightning Returns used where you didn't have levels but every quest gave permanent boosts to your character's stats instead. It encouraged you to do sidequests and meant you got more powerful but also meant that it scaled more reasonably. I think XV would have benefited from a system more like that, especially since the AP system allows for a more customizable sort of growth anyway.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol-ing at all the poo poo-tier humans who don't like prompto :allears:

hello fellow homeboy who knows prompto is cool and cute and maybe the best

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MrLonghair posted:

Not that I noticed in any part anywhere, no.

The Kotaku article said that you could trade them for equipment later on, but you know... Kotaku....

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Prompto is a hero of justice who diets well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Furnaceface posted:

Im watching some WWE wrestler play this game. Im still not sure Im sold on the full transition to ARPG. :(

Don't be sour

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The Kotaku article said that you could trade them for equipment later on, but you know... Kotaku....

There's a vendor who trades coins for resist accessories and megalixirs later in the game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there some cactuar-island-esque area for gaining lots of AP in the postgame or something? I think I'm at the point where the game starts getting linear as it moves toward the end, and some of these skills cost more AP than I've earned all game so far. One of them is 999 and I have no idea how you're supposed to get that much when you all the AP rewards for battles and stuff are like 1 and 2 AP each.

Or is that just for insane OCD people willing to grind an extra hundred hours to unlock everything?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Don't be sour

Dragon Age 2 broke me. :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Furnaceface posted:

Dragon Age 2 broke me. :(

I was assuming you were watching Xavier Woods/Austin Creed

It's a wrestling joke

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there some cactuar-island-esque area for gaining lots of AP in the postgame or something? I think I'm at the point where the game starts getting linear as it moves toward the end, and some of these skills cost more AP than I've earned all game so far. One of them is 999 and I have no idea how you're supposed to get that much when you all the AP rewards for battles and stuff are like 1 and 2 AP each.

Or is that just for insane OCD people willing to grind an extra hundred hours to unlock everything?

Allow me to inform you about the joys of Fishing, you see,

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Prompto should have stayed fat

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I was assuming you were watching Xavier Woods/Austin Creed

It's a wrestling joke

Oh. I havnt watched wrestling in like a decade, I just accidentally came across his stream and stuck around because it was pretty entertaining. Its nice to see someone as bad at video games as me. :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Im watching some WWE wrestler play this game. Im still not sure Im sold on the full transition to ARPG. :(

Keep it tight.

Rent the game.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

It's a good thing petrol is dirt cheap on Eos, cause 8 miles to the tank is some pretty bad fuel efficiency.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

It's a good thing petrol is dirt cheap on Eos, cause 8 miles to the tank is some pretty bad fuel efficiency.

Hey man, Coernix Oil. It's passion. It's power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

That's the Regalia's fault. It's actually an incredibly lovely car.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ImpAtom posted:

Seriously, it broke down minutes after leaving Insomnia!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

If you go by the day and night cycle which gives you a more reasonably sized planet the regalia is a fuel efficient marvel of engineering.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

That's okay, it's a "classic".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm sure this must be some known thing but what is the deal with Cid's quests to upgrade things? I talked to him a bunch of times and each time I did it handed him a different item and popped an alert about how the upgrade would take time. I thought that meant it had queued everything up but I checked my quest list after one of them finished and all of them say"hand the [thing] over to Cid" and he just says generic lines when I talk to him. Is this normal for these quests or has there been a glitch?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oxxidation posted:

Ignis' warnings seem unfounded until your car comes to a screeching halt because there's an animate 30-ton suit of armor grown fat with malevolent spirits blocking the road.

Oh yeah I tried taking on one of those bastards at like level 6 poking around the outskirts of Hammerhead looking for that hunter guy's quest target. I'm fairly sure Ignis was like "HAIL, MY LIEGE, THY REALM BECOMETH A MIGHTY HAZARD FROM THE GLOAMING TO THE BREAK OF THE NEW DAY! TAKE HEED AND SEEK SAFE HARBOR LEST WE BECOME WAYLAID BY VAGRANTS" but I just probably went "naaaah, it's probably just more stupid wolves to kill" and so when the iron giant thing started crawling out of a hell portal in front of me I just went at it before noticing it was level 30 and basically killed my whole crew with a single AOE sweep move.

In short, treat that poo poo like night time in Don't Starve.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 2, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I'm sure this must be some known thing but what is the deal with Cid's quests to upgrade things? I talked to him a bunch of times and each time I did it handed him a different item and popped an alert about how the upgrade would take time. I thought that meant it had queued everything up but I checked my quest list after one of them finished and all of them say"hand the [thing] over to Cid" and he just says generic lines when I talk to him. Is this normal for these quests or has there been a glitch?

No, that's intentional. It's just a weird interface. Instead of him having a menu or something he gives you a quest for each one individually.If you handed over an item then you just have to wait AFAIK.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Chairman posted:

Re-select whatever color you currently have picked. If nothing is checked off in a category it'll go back to default.

Awesome, thanks.

For anyone interested, I just went to Best Buy to pick up the deluxe guide and had them price match Amazon. Down from $40 to $23.99

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So how do you get quests from Cid? I talked to him and Cindy multiple times and just got generic dialogue and the car customize option respectively. Do I need to progress further in the story?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

So how do you get quests from Cid? I talked to him and Cindy multiple times and just got generic dialogue and the car customize option respectively. Do I need to progress further in the story?

You can't do it until you get your first customizable weapon AFAIK. It may need to be the specific Drain Lance you get during the end of Chapter 2 since Noctis mentions it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Assuming you've not done a shitload of quests for them and have beaten the game, yes progressing the story unlocks more quests with them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Genocyber posted:

Probably. There's a part where he straight up tells you "I can fix that old poo poo up with cans and bottlecaps laying around but you gotta pick up the trash for me"

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Fedule posted:

This confused me for a long time also, it gets to a point where you just don't have the items needed for turn in. The items required are buried in the fine print of the individual quest.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
We're playing Final Fantasy XV guys, can you believe it?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It's so good and Prompto owns and Cindy is my wife

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

Prompto is a hero of justice who diets well.

Prompto is a cool dude because he uses tools machinery like Edgar from FF6

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Prompto is a cool dude because he uses tools machinery like Edgar from FF6

He also seems to have trouble not getting his rear end beat in every fight for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

El Hefe posted:

We're playing Final Fantasy XV guys, can you believe it?

We're playing Final Fantasy Versus XIII and I can't believe it

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I just love all the little interactions between the guys. Just small silly stuff like how if you keep trying to open the same locked door, you'll end up with Prompto saying "So, I'm starting to think you don't really grasp how locks work." It makes the party feel more organic.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

El Hefe posted:

It's so good and Prompto owns and Cindy is my wife

Please put some more clothing on your wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hey are people still having issues with the availability of magic? I just found out that if you pump more of your item into your magic creation, you get more uses out of the bottle (and eventually the spell also levels up on top of having more uses).

I'm going to go buy a ton of antidotes.

• Locked thread