Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Chomp8645 posted:

The whole story is pointless because who is right and who is wrong is a value judgement based on their personal dynamics.

Maybe she's one of those "how to adult???" folks who just never knows anything about anything despite being on this earth for 25 years. Those people are annoying and deservedly get brushed off sometimes. Maybe she's constantly hounding him for dumb poo poo she should be able to handle herself and he didn't want to deal with it right then.

I agree. The whole "There was lighting and then I smelled something on FIRE OH MY GOD!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WampaLord posted:

He could have compromised and gone home, picked her up, and let her come hang out at the Magic tournament where there's at least power.

But he might have forfeited the tournament to leave.

He'd be out like, upwards of two whole booster packs!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Maybe I'm a big softie but fears aren't always rational and if my fiancee called me and begged me to come home because she was freaked out I'd go

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Or at least paid for an uber. :)

Story is from 4 years ago, so Uber didn't exist (or was it still just the black car service back then?)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

He does seem to be a bit too into Magic. Not dropping FNM for his fetus of a gf is understandable, but the fact that he is playing Magic aka spending money on Magic above and beyond a competitive deck 4 nights a week, he's got some issues as well.

Crack might literally be a cheaper habit

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Someone was saying that he apparently does this 4 other nigths a week. Friday Night Magic is a weekly casual (but officially sanctioned - basically they track your record) tournament that takes somewhere between 2-4 hours. I used to play fast decks and win/lose quickly and then go grab a drink between rounds. Its not the best night for Magic, its possibly the only night that he can play. As an adult, married to another adult, if the power went off, you check if other places have power and if they do, you reset your circuit breaker. If nobody has power then just wait for it to come back on. She's making a huge deal out of the power going out and that's pretty weird.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

zakharov posted:

Maybe I'm a big softie but fears aren't always rational and if my fiancee called me and begged me to come home because she was freaked out I'd go
Not saying for sure I wouldn't, but I'd also be trying to help her work on her panic response long-term. It's impossible to tell how frequent a thing it is - at some level point you'd get desensitized if it was frequent enough. To me that makes it tough to determine who is "right" in this one.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Someone was saying that he apparently does this 4 other nigths a week. Friday Night Magic is a weekly casual (but officially sanctioned - basically they track your record) tournament that takes somewhere between 2-4 hours. I used to play fast decks and win/lose quickly and then go grab a drink between rounds. Its not the best night for Magic, its just the name of the tournament and its possibly the only night that he can play. As an adult, married to another adult, if the power went off, you check if other places have power and if they do, you reset your circuit breaker. If nobody has power then just wait for it to come back on. She's making a huge deal out of the power going out and that's pretty weird.

Nazzadan posted:

He does seem to be a bit too into Magic. Not dropping FNM for his fetus of a gf is understandable, but the fact that he is playing Magic aka spending money on Magic above and beyond a competitive deck 4 nights a week, he's got some issues as well.

Crack might literally be a cheaper habit

If he's drafting, hes probably only out like $15. Its not that big of a deal

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My wife (41F) is obsessed with her friends as if she were a 13 year old. Me (45M).

This dude's number one problem is right there in the beginning of his post

quote:

When we met, I enjoyed her circle of friends because they partied and drank every weekend, as did I. They made plans every weekend and usually went out drinking two nights a week, sometimes three or four. Eventually, it wore me down. It seemed no fun could be had without getting drunk and I began to resent it, but I truly believed she’d grow out of it, or at least when they reached age 40 they would slow down.

You should spend your dating getting to know someone, and a big part of that is getting to know their capacity for change/where they want to go in life. Reading the later part of the post, his wife is now 41, and is still going out "every weekend and usually went out drinking two nights a week". She has never slowed down, and to assume that she'd grow out of it is ridiculous considering it sounds like that exact pattern has been going on for the entirety of them being together.

Relationships 101: Always assume your partner is going to be roughly the same as they are now, even if you [have a baby/move in together/get married/get older]. People change, but assuming they'll change when they demonstrably don't want to is a recipe for heartbreak

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It's kind of odd that she didn't know where a flashlight was. The first time I got trapped in a power outage during a bad storm I too freaked out a bit and I was also an idiot and completely unprepared. I called a friend and talked a bit before taking a nap. Afterwards I bought a few flashlights and candles and made sure I knew were they were.

The BF was a jerk to her but she's being unrealistic to expect him to drop everything for her. Storms are scary, yes, but she was safe inside. She was right to call around for friends for help and such and she's even right to be upset at her BF but the best he could have done is ditched the game and sat around in the dark with her or done what her friend did and walked her through working the circuit breaker. Guy could have been a bit more sensitive and the fact that he wasn't is kind of concerning but not deal breaking. Sometimes people are assholes. I am an rear end in a top hat all the time.

HardDiskD posted:

Wait, what?

I can't find the post in question (:effort:) but at the time someone actually bought an add on the forums that lead to that guys post. That's how I found it and wow.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 2, 2016

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LGD posted:

Pretty much my perspective. I mean maybe he's spending too much time/money on his hobby, which is potentially a legit relationship issue, but he was also at a pre-arranged event where a) he'd made a time commitment of several hours and b) he was doing something that wasn't terribly conducive to being on the phone. In this case it was Magic: the Gathering, but there are lots of other hobbies and events that have similar time commitments and practical restrictions on phone access. Expecting him to drop everything for a non-emergency that he would either be completely unable to resolve or that she should have trivially been able to resolve on her own isn't really a reasonable expectation and is predicated on the assumption that his time/money/hobby is less important than being immediately available to assuage her anxiety over a minor inconvenience. I mean at worst she'd be unable to cook something for dinner, so just order takeout or text him and ask him to pick up something on his way back.

If it wasn't Magic people would be telling him to sever her.

Jenner posted:

It's kind of odd that she didn't know where a flashlight was. The first time I got trapped in a power outage during a bad storm I too freaked out a bit and I was also an idiot and completely unprepared. I called a friend and talked a bit before taking a nap. Afterwards I bought a few flashlights and candles and made sure I knew were they were.

The best part is that she was texting him on a device that can be used as a flashlight!

Also powerouts are primo nap time, take naps whenever you get the opportunity.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Me [63F] with my son [35M] totally flipped out over first baby.

quote:

My son and his wife have been together 15 years and had their first child 6 months ago. Since the baby was born he has expressed a great deal of anger and resentment towards me for things that happened 14 years ago when his father and I divorced.

He claims we ruined his life and doesn't want any further contact with either of us. I was shocked, while we made some mistakes, in the end we raised two well educated, self supporting, and well-liked kids.

I met with a professional counselor who offered to see us together. My son will not answer snail mail, phone calls, emails, or texts and did not come to the extended family Thanksgiving get-together.

I'm wondering if he is suffering from depression (his wife seems extremely anxious, too) and how I can help him or help him get help.
TL;DR: son disowns mother after birth of first child.

This one has a twist followup in the comments....are you ready?
14 years ago:

quote:

His father was doing crystal meth with him and his girl friend. He had also "disappeared" $38,000 from our joint bank account. I figured he was not just using but dealing. When I found out I left and I told my son I would rather see him in jail then addicted to meth. I started asking around to see what ex-H's adult friends knew and was planning to use it against x-H in court. x-H asked to go through mediation instead and we split things up without a court hearing. No body got into any legal trouble.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Pussy Quipped posted:

"and I have no car and nothing is in walking distance to the apartment. "
"would it be alright if he came home since I was sitting in darkness,"

Apparently she doesn't know how to light candles or find a flashlight either.

Maybe she's actually a bird and when the lights went out she just assumed it was time to sleep and sat completely still until the boyfriend came home?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

She won't learn anything if you coddle her.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

zakharov posted:

Same but because I'm thinking of my SO in this situation. I have friends who have had or have super-ultra-needy SOs that have never dealt with a problem on their own in their entire life.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I think she's being a baby, but the guy could have been nicer, what I would have done (because my SO is somewhat like this, although once I walk her through stuff once, everything's good), is something similar to:

1) Take her phone call
2) Ask her if the neighbors have power
3a) neighbors do ahve power, check the breaker and flip any in the OFF position
3b) neighbors do not have power, call the power company and inform of outage
4) sexy time when I get home.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Adults who can't handle the power going out probably can't handle any other activity without help either.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I lost power yesterday and we had a tornado warning and all I did was lay on the sofa with my puppers shitposting. Then I went out cause puppers wanted to sit under an overhang and try to eat rain out of the air. It was funny then the power came back on and I went back to playing video games. Being 14 or over is really hard.

In short,

bone app the teeth posted:

Adults who can't handle the power going out probably can't handle any other activity without help either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bone app the teeth posted:

Exactly. That's why you need to teach your kids to handle this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpURRW80LnM

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Facebook Aunt posted:

Exactly. That's why you need to teach your kids to handle this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpURRW80LnM

This could be part of the issue, my father and mother taught my brothers and me how to do all sorts of stuff growing up, like here's the fuse box, here's how you know a breaker popped etc. My SO on the other hand was not taught this and I showed her the first time we had an issue and she didn't know how to do it.

Some things you will have knowledge gaps in, giving this woman the benefit of the doubt, which is why I would (if presented with his situation) taken 5-10 minutes on the phone to walk through troubleshooting steps with her to figure out what to do and how to do it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eh, I don't think she gets the benefit of the doubt. She says in the comment they live in a very storm-prone area, so this can't be the first time her power has gone out.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

It's not like she had crack open the circuit panel and start checking voltages, it's basic problem solving skills.

I have no light and need light to see.

Whelp better curl up into the fetal position until someone can come save me.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I feel like we're skipping over the "friends have left their wives in the hospital to go play Magic" line. While yes, this was not an emergency, I can see how her mind started racing about what-ifs and realizing he won't give a gently caress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

I feel like we're skipping over the "friends have left their wives in the hospital to go play Magic" line. While yes, this was not an emergency, I can see how her mind started racing about what-ifs and realizing he won't give a gently caress.
Hmm but I suspect he would - not really too crazy a leap to give him the benefit of that doubt. Might even go further and say that the perceived risk of that approximately as legit as her fear of...whatever it was that caused her to panic when the power went out.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

zakharov posted:

Me either but I also wouldn't be getting this kind of calls over a power outage in the first place. It's kind of a Catch-22 where if one person is going to blow up another person's phone in a panic over something the other person considers so trivial they can completely ignore it, they shouldn't be together.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Trevor Hale posted:

That line could also easily be interpreted as

quote:

My wife is in the hospital for a few days because of health issues, so after a few hours of visiting with her on day 2 of 4 I hosed off to my buddys to play Magic
Context, which she is leaving out, is important.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

quote:

My Boyfriend [26 M] and I [30F] have been together 6 years and he has admitted to sleeping with his Gay Best friend [28M] last month. He says it isn't cheating and I'm over reacting. Am I?

I have been friends with this guy friend, who happens to be gay, since we were in High School, long before I met my current boyfriend, who I'll call Jay. He was considered a really close friend and we'd continued to stay in touch now for over 15 years. He and Jay actually met through me and they became really good friends over the last 4-5 years. I've known Jay for 7 years and we've been dating for 6.

Over the last year I discovered that my friend had developed strong feelings for Jay and lamented how lucky I was to have a guy like him-- "too bad he's straight." he'd tell me.

I tell Jay what our friend has told me and tell him to be careful about the kind of joking he does around him. Jay reassures me that there is nothing to worry about because he is isn't into guys, and he's used to his friend's come-ons and finds them flattering. I tell Jay that I am uncomfortable with the flirting and it isn't fair to our friend either because he is really infatuated with Jay and has started buying him expensive gifts-- at one point even paying off an $8,000 car loan that Jay would have otherwise defaulted on. The friend then beings sending him sexually suggestive messages via text.

This causes a lot of arguing in our relationship. I tell Jay that I am uncomfortable with him leading our friend on, because that's how I feel. Jay starts accusing me of sleeping around on him with one of my own close male friends! I can't believe it! The jealousy only gets worse to the point that I was berated and accused of sleeping around on him after I decided to stay at my brother's house (An hour and a half away) for New Year's Eve rather than drive home after our Hockey Game let out. (I didn't want to deal with drunk drivers on the holiday and felt safer to stay put)

Then last month he and Jay, went out of town for a weekend convention with his best friend. It comes out that Jay and our gay friend had sexual relations and they intentionally got a room with a single bed for the purpose for 'cuddling.' It was our gay friend that called me in tears and told me everything while apologizing profusely. "He's a great guy, I got him drunk so he'd agree and all he wanted was to come home to you, I'm sorry."

When I asked Jay about it he got very very angry, defensive and at first would not admit to anything. Later he fessed up to everything and confirmed what out friend had told me-- he's not gay, but wanted to experiment. "I learned that I'm most defiantly NOT gay. It only confirmed that I am most definitely into women."

When I asked him if he was sorry for cheating on me he said, "It wasn't cheating because it was with another guy. If you slept with another girl, I wouldn't be mad, I'd pull up a chair! I have nothing to apologize for." He then suggested that if I wanted to get even I had his PERMISSION to go sleep with another girl!

I believe that because he did not openly discuss this with me, had sexual relations with this friend and tried to hide IS in fact cheating and Jay is just in denial. I don't believe gender has anything to do with it. I think it's even worse because he KNEW our friend had romantic feelings for him!

I'm deeply hurt by this because a lack of an apology from my boyfriend has destroyed the future of our relationship because I feel he can't/won't take accountability for his actions. I feel like this relationship is damaged with my friend too because, regardless of his honesty, he knew what he was doing. I'm deeply in love with Jay but I can't forgive someone if they feel they've done nothing wrong. He gets VERY angry when I try to discuss it with him. I personally am unable to have sex with someone I don't love, so maybe I have a biased perspective?

tl;dr: My long term boyfriend slept with his gay best friend, unbeknownst to me, knowing his friend had romantic feelings for him. His friend spilled the beans to me after feeling guilty. Boyfriend says it isn't cheating if you sleep with someone of the same sex but aren't gay yourself. Is it cheating? Am I within my rights to be angry or should I just let it go?

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
It's cheating, and he's totally gay

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

Boyfriend says it isn't cheating if you sleep with someone of the same sex but aren't gay yourself.
oh ok

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

He then suggested that if I wanted to get even I had his PERMISSION to go sleep with another girl!

Man, the titanic balls on this guy.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure whether to be mad at the BF for those mental gymnastics or the GF for being an obtuse moron

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wish people would say "had sex with" if that's what the mean. Merely sleeping with someone wouldn't be cheating.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Nazzadan posted:

That line could also easily be interpreted as

Context, which she is leaving out, is important.

I think that is kind of poo poo though? Different strokes, I guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"It's not really cheating, it was just an experiment -- oh, and we got a big single bed so we could cuddle." Was there also breakfast in bed and a luxurious whirlpool bath? Rose petals? Candles?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Syndic Thrass posted:

It's cheating, and he's totally gay

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

"It's not really cheating, it was just an experiment -- oh, and we got a big single bed so we could cuddle." Was there also breakfast in bed and a luxurious whirlpool bath? Rose petals? Candles?

"Oh, I'm gay alright... gay for this incredibly tasteful ambience!"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

gay, not gay, not cheating, touching dudes butts with my dick is just fine.

The fact that he lied about it and tried to hide it definitely makes it worse, like it could be somewhat forgivable (maybe depending on the person...), but he definitely knew what he did was wrong and cheating because he tried to hide it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Trevor Hale posted:

I think that is kind of poo poo though? Different strokes, I guess.

I love my girlfriend to death, but if she was in a planned hospital visit for multiple days, I'm not going to spend every minute that I'm not asleep or at work by her side.
Maybe my girlfriend should :sever:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have real life friends who create a distinction between "betraying the trust of your SO" and "hiding something that your SO will reasonably find incredibly devastating and hurtful but it's okay i'm not a bad person" and I don't really get how that works. I guess this story about the not-gay gay bf didn't really help, but it's got my :psyduck: anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

I love my girlfriend to death, but if she was in a planned hospital visit for multiple days, I'm not going to spend every minute that I'm not asleep or at work by her side.

No poo poo. This is what what that Meatloaf song was about.