Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zurui posted:

I'm not saying it's gonna be amazing but y'all are reading disaster into every article about this show.
The disaster was in place when CBS decided to put it on their stupid pay streaming service that nobody wants (for the US, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's that blue bearded always-wearing-sunglasses idiot up to these days? Put him and his dumb rear end style in charge of something.

Holy gently caress he's doing that time-travel romance series outlander that my wife watches? lolll she's going to get a kick out of this.
I guess the whole show's a ridiculous mirror-universe smut episode of ds9.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 2, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zurui posted:

It doesn't sound like a shitshow at all. Fuller over-extended himself and decided to focus on the complex prestige drama for a premium network over a low-budget reboot for Netflix. It's not complicated.

Rumor mill is that Discovery has a budget north of $5 million per episode, which puts it in the same ballpark as shows like Game of Thrones.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

For now, let's just remember the happier times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCTgRax94o

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

macnbc posted:

Rumor mill is that Discovery has a budget north of $5 million per episode, which puts it in the same ballpark as shows like Game of Thrones.

That's drat expensive. I have the sinking feeling that even if the show is good, nobody has any desire to sign up for some stupid CBS streaming service and Star Trek will be doomed for ten years until the next sexy reboot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

macnbc posted:

Rumors have been flying for months that Fuller and CBS were having pretty severe issues with one another regarding the creative direction of the show, as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's not all that surprising, they need a lot of special effects shots.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

That's drat expensive. I have the sinking feeling that even if the show is good, nobody has any desire to sign up for some stupid CBS streaming service and Star Trek will be doomed for ten years until the next sexy reboot.

Apparently Netfilx paid so much for the international streaming rights that they pretty much paid for the show's production. If it does terribly on CBS's service but does well on Netfilx then CBS would be idiots kill it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm really not sure what you guys are reading in that article, there's nothing really there of much interest

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere I can find a rather unbiased just-the-facts history of why Shatner was hated by some of the rest of the cast? Sometimes I read that they were upset that Kirk/Spock/McCoy got too much focus, some say Shatner was an rear end in a top hat, some say Shatner just didn't spend time with those he didn't connect to. It's all so slapdash that I don't feel like I have the full picture.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Timby posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Edit: From the same site, Roddenberry having a small fit about the Trek III script.

I love his character synopsis of David: "He constitutes the best argument for abortion I've seen in some time."

..he's not wrong. Well, about that. The incredible tangent on Vulcan mystical origins reeks of him huffing his own farts after Taco Bell Tuesday.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really not sure what you guys are reading in that article, there's nothing really there of much interest

At this point nobody should give a poo poo until a proper trailer drops, the last time Star Trek was consistently worth watching let alone getting excited over was near the end of the loving 90's so what are the odds they're suddenly going to make a good one again now? Because they've figured out they can milk fanboys for cash instead of ignoring them while assuming they'll stick around for the ride? All that's really changed is who and how much they're marketing to.

It would be great if ST:D turns out to be good but if this thing is going to cost 5 mill then I'm betting we'll all be sitting around trying to figure out where the money went after the first episode

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It sounds like CBS has been trying to rush the show out, Fuller went "nah gently caress this," and here we are.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

At this point nobody should give a poo poo until a proper trailer drops, the last time Star Trek was consistently worth watching let alone getting excited over was near the end of the loving 90's so what are the odds they're suddenly going to make a good one again now? Because they've figured out they can milk fanboys for cash instead of ignoring them while assuming they'll stick around for the ride? All that's really changed is who and how much they're marketing to.

It would be great if ST:D turns out to be good but if this thing is going to cost 5 mill then I'm betting we'll all be sitting around trying to figure out where the money went after the first episode

I'm definitely going to watch it. If it's good I'll even pay money to do so.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MisterBibs posted:

Is there anywhere I can find a rather unbiased just-the-facts history of why Shatner was hated by some of the rest of the cast? Sometimes I read that they were upset that Kirk/Spock/McCoy got too much focus, some say Shatner was an rear end in a top hat, some say Shatner just didn't spend time with those he didn't connect to. It's all so slapdash that I don't feel like I have the full picture.

-He wanted to be the entire focus of the show and everyone else pretty much just background/support. He would get upset if any scene wasn't focused on him, to the point that during shooting he'd ask "why can't kirk just have this line??" trying to take lines away from other people.
-He was enraged that Spock was getting more fan mail and attention from the ladies than him and that Nimoy was elevated to being nearly equal to him in focus and importance. Nimoy used this elevated importance to lobby for the rest of the cast, which is why the rest of the cast loved him and hated shatner.
-Was just a big ol' rear end in a top hat and annoying to work with.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Timby posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Edit: From the same site, Roddenberry having a small fit about the Trek III script.

David Marcus is an argument for abortion? :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

It sounds like CBS has been trying to rush the show out, Fuller went "nah gently caress this," and here we are.

According to Fuller himself, CBS agreed to the launch change from January to May of 2017 because he and Kurtzman wanted more time for writing, which resulted in the Good Wife spinoff being fast-tracked. (Fuller is a bit of a prima donna when it comes to turning in scripts on time.)

It basically sounds like Fuller wanted yet another delay for ~his vision~, CBS said, "Look, we've already had enough fights about this," and the guy walked, hence the new showrunners taking charge a few months ago (plus loving Kurtzman).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Baronjutter posted:

-He wanted to be the entire focus of the show and everyone else pretty much just background/support. He would get upset if any scene wasn't focused on him, to the point that during shooting he'd ask "why can't kirk just have this line??" trying to take lines away from other people.
-He was enraged that Spock was getting more fan mail and attention from the ladies than him and that Nimoy was elevated to being nearly equal to him in focus and importance. Nimoy used this elevated importance to lobby for the rest of the cast, which is why the rest of the cast loved him and hated shatner.
-Was just a big ol' rear end in a top hat and annoying to work with.

Basically Homer's suggestions for Poochie

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nessus posted:

Well, they didn't conquer the world in practice; it seemed to mostly be "This sure does produce some Hitlers, but with some sci fi stuff behind it so we can introduce the idea simply." Sort of like the guy who introduced a "Nazi system" because it was "efficient," though that may have been how they thought it went back in the 60s.

There actually was a belief in the 50's on that the Nazi's, and were much more efficient than the democracies. This changed as more scholarship was done and various archives were translated, but the 60's were before a lot of that happened and those writers totally thought that. Similar misconceptions existed about the Soviets with lots of people thinking up till the moment the Berlin Wall fell that they were going to overrun us with their totalitarian efficiency.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Timby posted:

Heads-up -- the DS9 DVD re-release is currently listed with a release date of February 7 with an MSRP of $144.99, so Amazon being Amazon, that price is almost certain to go down.

I CALLED IT, I loving CALLED IT TO MYSELF. I finally pull the trigger on getting the old 2003 complete series set and then they announce it. Now watch in a month or two they do the same with Voyager since I also got that set too.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

McSpanky posted:

I hear this sentiment all the time with regards to genetic upgrades but unless the full ubermensch package has zero side effects and is released as a free self-replicating airborne vaccine, yeah, there's no way not to avoid an immediate split between the haves and have-nots that would combine all the worst aspects of aristocracy, class stratification, race and first/third world divisions combined. About the only medical treatments with with as dramatic a shift on human identity would be like, panimmunity or genetic immortality.

I would love to read a sci-fi story about this kind of event. Reminds me of the Nexus series, which was super fun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lordshmee posted:

I would love to read a sci-fi story about this kind of event. Reminds me of the Nexus series, which was super fun.

There was a recent Iron Man story where he'd gone evil and did exactly that(nanomachines, son!). The evil part comes when it turns out it was just "a free trial" and he rips it away and starts charging an obscene amount for it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

There was a recent Iron Man story where he'd gone evil and did exactly that(nanomachines, son!). The evil part comes when it turns out it was just "a free trial" and he rips it away and starts charging an obscene amount for it.

Hahaha yeah, that was great. The transhumanist ascension as shareware.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

galagazombie posted:

There actually was a belief in the 50's on that the Nazi's, and were much more efficient than the democracies. This changed as more scholarship was done and various archives were translated, but the 60's were before a lot of that happened and those writers totally thought that. Similar misconceptions existed about the Soviets with lots of people thinking up till the moment the Berlin Wall fell that they were going to overrun us with their totalitarian efficiency.
I gather that the Soviets DID make the Nazis look efficient, at least under a war footing (and admittedly with the cornucopia of American industry giving them some key goodies). The Nazis basically had a Keynesian economic boost from blowing a lot of cash building the Wehrmacht, and after that economic growth mostly came from pillaging the areas they invaded, with various levels of intensity.

McSpanky posted:

Hahaha yeah, that was great. The transhumanist ascension as shareware.
Well he's so much smarter than you are. Why didn't YOU develop the transhumanist shareware? Maybe, if you think about it, he is rightfully your lord, due to his superior mustache game brain and Iron Man suit.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Well he's so much smarter than you are. Why didn't YOU develop the transhumanist shareware? Maybe, if you think about it, he is rightfully your lord, due to his superior mustache game brain and Iron Man suit.

Little known fact: It was actually ghostwritten by Steve Ditko. When he was asked what he thought about Iron Man turning evil, he said "He turned evil? I was writing him as the hero!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot drat does T'Pol look good in the TOS uniform.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Little known fact: It was actually ghostwritten by Steve Ditko. When he was asked what he thought about Iron Man turning evil, he said "He turned evil? I was writing him as the hero!"
Is he some kind of nano-cyborg now - Iron Man, I mean, not Ditko - I remember that was a thing, but not whether it was still current.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

Is he some kind of nano-cyborg now - Iron Man, I mean, not Ditko - I remember that was a thing, but not whether it was still current.

He got Extremis in like 2007, then he purged it from his body at one point, and then my understanding of it gets fuzzy but it's a new version of Extremis that he releases in San Francisco.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

He got Extremis in like 2007, then he purged it from his body at one point, and then my understanding of it gets fuzzy but it's a new version of Extremis that he releases in San Francisco.
I hope he shared with the Sanctuary Districts

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the point in the The Next 25 Years where they're talking about First Contact, never knew they discussed, for weeks, the Borg travelling to Medieval Times or the Renaissance.

Please tell me I'm just unfamiliar with the snails pace of movie studios.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching the Enterprise finale, the way they structured this as a TNG episode really is insulting to the entire show. I can see why Blalock was so pissed off at the time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm at the point in the The Next 25 Years where they're talking about First Contact, never knew they discussed, for weeks, the Borg travelling to Medieval Times
I'd like it if they were talking about the restaurant.

Rhyno posted:

Watching the Enterprise finale, the way they structured this as a TNG episode really is insulting to the entire show. I can see why Blalock was so pissed off at the time.
Hell, I watched that live as the first time I'd watched Enterprise since the first season, and it pissed me off. I didn't like Enterprise, but man what a slap in the face for everyone involved in it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just the idea that they thought they could make Riker and Troy look like they did 12 years prior is insulting. And the EntD sets were terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hell, if they did have to do it, set it on the Titan and make it about looking back at Archer for some real reason.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The least they could have done was make it Captain Riker on the Titan, so at least you'd have a theme of "Hey, the Enterprise crew are inspiring the next next generation!" rather than "Hey, remember that one episode from ten years ago? That was a good one, right?"

(It doesn't help that there's no way to make the new scenes make any sense in the context of The Pegasus...)

EDIT: Jinx!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

If that episode had been a season finale instead, maybe it could've almost-kinda-barely worked as sort of a poor man's "Deconstruction of Falling Stars" but even that is a huge stretch. At best, it's a worthless, unnecessary, throwaway epilogue to Demons/Terra Prime, the real finale.

I probably farted out my dumb headcanon in the last thread but let's just say that 22nd century records in general and the NX-01's logs in particular are a mess of lost/destroyed/redacted/rewritten information and that Riker's holodeck LARP was mostly full of misleading or outright false history that still hasn't been corrected or declassified two centuries later.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Delsaber posted:

I probably farted out my dumb headcanon in the last thread but let's just say that 22nd century records in general and the NX-01's logs in particular are a mess of lost/destroyed/redacted/rewritten information and that Riker's holodeck LARP was mostly full of misleading or outright false history that still hasn't been corrected or declassified two centuries later.

A wizard Section 31 did it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Just the idea that they thought they could make Riker and Troy look like they did 12 years prior is insulting. And the EntD sets were terrible.

This was my ultimate beef with it. You want to put the last episode of your series into an earlier one? OK, that's reasonably clever. But when your central earlier-series cast cannot physically look like they did twelve years ago, because it actually was twelve years ago, you need to stop and rethink the whole thing.

For fucks sake, the episode they set it with wasn't that damned good in the first place.

E: I will say I liked the very end with different Enterprises and different captains saying the intro speech. That was OK.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 4, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I liked how that CGI Enterprise D looked but that was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Delsaber posted:

That's basically what the books did; Trip is actually alive and Section 31 changed the record of history, from what I know. These Are The Voyages is the remarkable crossover episode that manages to be equally insulting to fans of either show.

MisterBibs posted:

E: I will say I liked the very end with different Enterprises and different captains saying the intro speech. That was OK.
This part was cool though, and it strikes the right tone of saying goodbye to the NX-01, showing how it leads into the future, and in doing so putting a bow on the franchise's TV run as well as Enterprise. Like, just a "normal" finale with this as the ending would do what they were trying to do with Riker much better.