Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I think Merc know they have another dominant car and are playing it off as though that's not the case, verbal sandbagging.

I think it's the opposite. They know they won't be so utterly dominant that they can have their two drivers at each other's throats and still easily win the title. They're going to sign a clear #2 driver and this is them preemptively justifying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I think its somewhere in the middle, they want to see the lay of the land before they let two drivers go at eachother's throats. So an unknown they can mold either into a Barrichello or the next Are Rossie is their best bet

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It would be hilarious if Mercedes signs one of the weaker drivers commonly mentioned (Wehrlein, Ocon, Perez, Hulkenberg, Grosjean) and they end up doing just as well as Rosberg.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I honestly am curious how Perez would do, I think he'd be ready to have a go at him from day one in a slightly scrappy sort of way. I had really written him off before this year but he drove extremely well and wasn't making the sort of stupid mistakes he did in the past.

Grosjean would probably struggle a bit like Nico did and it would be a year or two of him fumbling around a bit before he got his bearings and got it into his mind that he could beat Lewis.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

wicka posted:

It would be hilarious if Mercedes signs one of the weaker drivers commonly mentioned (Wehrlein, Ocon, Perez, Hulkenberg, Grosjean) and they end up doing just as well as Rosberg.

If they just do well enough to provoke Poois into more petulant meltdowns it will be sufficient.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone in a white and grey office with lots of tasteful minimalist furniture will also be asking the question "What if Lewis quits in 2018?" Whiirline inexperienced and a liability when it comes to team orders, and they are going to need at least one person with experience in car set up because Lewis sure as poo poo isn't going to put in any of that boring simulator time.

The only sensible option is Carlos Sainz, the added bonus for the worst thread for this choice is that if Mercedes are dominant again we will get to watch Max Verstappen repeatedly finishing behind the team mate who was able to match him while showing greater maturity, but didn't get promoted to red bull because the press was concentrating so hard on Max. Also it will make Seb unbelievably loving miserable when he spends the year finishing fifth behind Ricciado.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Grosjean always puzzles me, I think he lets the pressure get to him too much like Are Rossie used to. His best drives this year was the first few when there was very very low expectations for Haas and then as the season went on he really was on the dull end. I get that the car was poo poo but you shouldn't be finishing behind GUT in the same car under any sort of circumstance.

edit: I don't think its going to happen but I would be genuinely interested in Sainz since I'm pretty sure he is a better overall driver than frogboy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
To provoke Their Lewis, it would have to be a German wouldn't it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Haas got hosed by brembo. Current google results for brembo FIA investigation throw up 18400 results. Quick glance shows unexplained failures this year in F1, WEC and MotoGP.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Grosjean always puzzles me, I think he lets the pressure get to him too much like Are Rossie used to. His best drives this year was the first few when there was very very low expectations for Haas and then as the season went on he really was on the dull end. I get that the car was poo poo but you shouldn't be finishing behind GUT in the same car under any sort of circumstance.

edit: I don't think its going to happen but I would be genuinely interested in Sainz since I'm pretty sure he is a better overall driver than frogboy

Grosjean and Maldonado were the pathfinders for Max, if the pack had treated him like they did those two, there would be a hell of a lot more RBR carbon fibre on the track

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

How hard would you push in a car whose brakes failed multiple times?
I don't think he felt secure after the mid season at all.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

djssniper posted:

Grosjean and Maldonado were the pathfinders for Max, if the pack had treated him like they did those two, there would be a hell of a lot more RBR carbon fibre on the track

I can't empty quote this enough.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

How hard would you push in a car whose brakes failed multiple times?
I don't think he felt secure after the mid season at all.

If I got to that level and had as shakey a career path as he has? Very very hard.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I honestly am curious how Perez would do, I think he'd be ready to have a go at him from day one in a slightly scrappy sort of way. I had really written him off before this year but he drove extremely well and wasn't making the sort of stupid mistakes he did in the past.

Grosjean would probably struggle a bit like Nico did and it would be a year or two of him fumbling around a bit before he got his bearings and got it into his mind that he could beat Lewis.

I'm telling you, Cecho is the best driver they could run with HAM. I genuinely think he'd drive really well, especially after some of his performances this year and last year.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
there are still people itt that don't see that Max is the biggest talent in racing today. lol. it boggles the mind.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I don't remember Max beating or overtaking Lewis at any point, including his very good Brazil drive. Sure, he embarrassed Rosberg and Vettel a bunch of times, but how hard is that?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mad idea: Button to Merc for a year?

Guy is basically a free agent so I expect there'd be less contractual issues since I expect his link with McLaren next year is thin at best, is good enough to sit in the other car and not bung it into a wall and has raced against Lewis before.

If he could do a halfway decent German accent he could be in with a shot. He might even take it too, if only to drive a fast car for a change where maybe a podium or win might be possible. If it's only for a year so Merc can find a "proper" long term driver, he'd be a decent choice, and if Merc really is swooning for :frog: he'd be a good stopgap until his contract runs out instead of having to fight RB over it.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

oliwan posted:

there are still people itt that don't see that Max is the biggest talent in racing today. lol. it boggles the mind.

To be fair his racing lines in Brazil were outstanding

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

djssniper posted:

To be fair his racing lines in Brazil were outstanding

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

poty posted:

I don't remember Max beating or overtaking Lewis at any point, including his very good Brazil drive. Sure, he embarrassed Rosberg and Vettel a bunch of times, but how hard is that?

He was going ~1.5s a lap faster than Lewis at the end of Brazil.
Whilst overtaking.

He for sure lacks consistency but we have so far seen sparks of raw genius. He similarly made everyone look like idiots in the lower formulas on his way up (YT them), which is why he got a super-license at 19.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

learnincurve posted:

if Mercedes are dominant again we will get to watch Max Verstappen repeatedly finishing behind the team mate who was able to match him while showing greater maturity, but didn't get promoted to red bull because the press was concentrating so hard on Max.

Sainz is a very good driver, but Frogboy has beaten him on all levels in 2015. Better qualifications, better race results and a lot more points (49 vs 18).

I do hope Sainz gets Rosbergs seat though.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Theophany posted:

But they weren't to anybody who karts competitively at even the lowest level. What is a mindfuck is that all these guys start in karting and yet they never accept that the rubbered in racing line is the most treacherous in the wet because it is basically like driving on ice. That's not to diminish Max's drive or ability, but he's kind of shooting fish in a barrel.

Driving a Rotax or shifter in the wet on the racing line is a drat quick way to get hurt quickly.

Hey the Merc seat is still free hotshot ;)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Khablam posted:

Whilst overtaking.

Lewis was sandbagging Rosberg though, not a good comparison.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Ya this was pretty much my view of that race, it was a damnation of the rest of the field's basic wet weather driving skills. Not to mention the rake of the Red Bull minimized aquaplaning compared to other cars.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 5, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Max Verstappen will die.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

Max Verstappen will die.

Says who?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Khablam posted:

Holy poo poo all the frauds are Sons.

Id also say their Nigel is in the newey 1xWDC fraud group

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 5, 2016

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Button is the best choice! Cheap and will definitely help set the car up. Something Hamilton is rumoured to be poor at.

Also this thread bitched like gently caress when Hamilton got in the mclaren without paying his dues for a decade in shitboxes like others. Wline hasn't done a thing that suggest he deserves what I suspect will be the best car in the pack.

That said they will want a number 2. Letting them race this year didn't end so well...

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

thegasman2000 posted:

Button is the best choice! Cheap and will definitely help set the car up. Something Hamilton is rumoured to be poor at.

Also this thread bitched like gently caress when Hamilton got in the mclaren without paying his dues for a decade in shitboxes like others. Wline hasn't done a thing that suggest he deserves what I suspect will be the best car in the pack.

That said they will want a number 2. Letting them race this year didn't end so well...

Lewis has always had a race winning car, he's super #blessed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

GramCracker posted:

I'm telling you, Cecho is the best driver they could run with HAM.
Also since Sergio left MacLaren, Sergio has had more podiums than MacLaren

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Khablam posted:

Whilst overtaking.

He for sure lacks consistency but we have so far seen sparks of raw genius. He similarly made everyone look like idiots in the lower formulas on his way up (YT them), which is why he got a super-license at 19.

Lewis was managing the race... Max was 2nd for a while before pitting for inters and he tried to catch Lewis and failed

PS: this is how a true champion acts... while Rosberg lets his team down... Lewis takes care of his boys http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/12/lewis-hamilton-love-his-bulldog-roscoe-so-much-that-hes-had-the-dogs-sperm-frozen-6253510/

poty fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 5, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Why the gently caress would Button come out of retirement and join Mercedes?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

wicka posted:

Why the gently caress would Button come out of retirement and join Mercedes?

Because he'd have a shot at the championship, the only reason he retired was because the McLaren is dogshit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Ya this was pretty much my view of that race, it was a damnation of the rest of the field's basic wet weather driving skills. Not to mention the rake of the Red Bull minimized aquaplaning compared to other cars.

So Max isn't very good, he's just better than anyone else.
Hmmm.

Porsche your mental gymnastics are getting worse dude.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Id also say their Nigel is in the newey 1xWDC fraud group
Top 5.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Because he'd have a shot at the championship, the only reason he retired was because the McLaren is dogshit.

You're not this stupid, Jeff.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
oh poo poo I replied to wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dude was replaced by McLaren and given an "option" we all knew would never get picked up. Don't start this dumb poo poo, Hefe.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's like getting fired and then yelling, "OH YEAH? WELL THEN I QUIT!"

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

So Max isn't very good, he's just better than anyone else.
Hmmm.

Porsche your mental gymnastics are getting worse dude.

Not really, you can be a lovely racer and very good in low grip conditions. I'm probably the best example of that. Keep digging though :yum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

1500quidporsche posted:

Not really, you can be a lovely racer and very good in low grip conditions. I'm probably the best example of that. Keep digging though :yum:

actually, you're the best example of getting poopie in your pants, and max is the best example of talent in today's racing field.

• Locked thread