Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Thumbtacks posted:

Holy poo poo the secret dungeon is incredible, I've been in here for two hours and I have no idea where it ends.

It's soooOoOooo goood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm level 30 and I got burned out by all the optional stuff so I finally finished Chapter 3.

I still haven't even touched Duscae monster hunts and I'm completely broke. There's so much stuff to buy and everything is expensive :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm level 30 and I got burned out by all the optional stuff so I finally finished Chapter 3.

I still haven't even touched Duscae monster hunts and I'm completely broke. There's so much stuff to buy and everything is expensive :(

You probably should do the monster hunts since that's where you make most of your money

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I don't personally mind the combat. Most multi-enemy battles are kinda trivial whack-and-hope-for-the-best fests but when you have like five or less stronger enemies it gets fun. It's not the most involved system but I still get enough kicks from how flashy it is.

Honestly I'd never compare this game to DMC and I think people are silly for doing so.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So are any of the basic attacks/defenses timing-based? Like for block/parry do I have to time that or as long as I'm holding down block when the attack comes I'm all right? What about the prompt that appears after a technique?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So are any of the basic attacks/defenses timing-based? Like for block/parry do I have to time that or as long as I'm holding down block when the attack comes I'm all right? What about the prompt that appears after a technique?

The Shield weapon type has a 'parry' mechanic where you time it just right to knock enemies back. You also unlock upgrades to your regular dodge which give it bonuses when done with 'just timing' instead of holding it down. The Block prompt however just means you need to be blocking, it isn't timing-based. (though the parry/counter AFTER blocking requires you to be quick on the buttons.)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's a skill that recovers MP if you time your dodge. Also each weapon has a finisher move if you delay your attack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any reason to keep obsolete weapons that can't be upgraded?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lucid Dream posted:

Nah, I'm not overlooking that, Gladio chews noctis out about Ignis being "hurt" and caring about himself when others are "worse off" or whatever but he never actually says anything about Ignis being completely blinded in his rant. Again, in hindsight its clear what happened, but during those scenes I guess I just figured Ignis lost one eye rather than getting completely blinded since he has that big nasty scar on just one side of his face.

Ah okay that makes sense.

isk posted:

Chapter 10 story stuff - I see Gladio's reaction as an extension of his behavior on the way down to Titan. It's fine for Noctis to grieve, but he's had time for that. He needs to pull his poo poo together and deal with very real and immediate problems, as a king should. In other words, he needs to be a leader. Otherwise, not only are others harmed / in danger, Gladio's role loses meaning because he's serving a chump. Noctis isn't acting in a way that's worthy of a family's tradition of devotion.

It's possible I'm seeing something that wasn't intended. In the very least, it could've been explained better (like, at all, outside of a cutscene several chapters before).

Well, At that point he's had time to grieve for his father Regis, yeah... but not Luna who just died like, yesterday. You need more than one loving afternoon to get over the death of your fiance and love of your childhood.

So I wasn't a fan of that bit but w/e.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 5, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

RatHat posted:

Any reason to keep obsolete weapons that can't be upgraded?

No reason unless they have a useful element (and even then Ignis can cover you in that department).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The prompt after a technique just allows you to jump in as Noct and combo after the technique is done, as long as you don't grossly gently caress up the timing. Just press and hold O and you'll start comboing out of the tech right into whoever it was against.

Otherwise your character is just kidna standing somewhere since you lost control for a second, so it gets you back in the action.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, does anyone know what the requirements are for getting the Justice Monsters Five regalia skin? Internet is worthless and the guide doesn't say what the exact requirements are.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah okay that makes sense.

Well, At that point he's had time to grieve for his father Regis, yeah... but not Luna who just died like, yesterday. You need more than one loving afternoon to get over the death of your fiance and love of your childhood.

So I wasn't a fan of that bit but w/e.

That was a timeskip, a week or a few weeks IIRC

Most of the games narrative issues are because of wild skips and not showing us the intervening period

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ApplesandOranges posted:

No reason unless they have a useful element (and even then Ignis can cover you in that department).

But Regroup is soooo good

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Fishing question, so I've got level 7 fishing and have upgraded rods and reels from Tabby's Tackle Shop / Bert's Bobbles 'n' Stuff.

Which is supposed to be more difficult between... the final quest from Naymath at Galdin Quay (Devil of the Cylligian) that gets you the Tranquillity rod or Gladio's camp tour in Vesperpool at the fishing spot by Bert's (Liege of the Lake)?

Plus I bet there might be better fishing gear that I just haven't found somewhere else.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

air- posted:

Fishing question, so I've got level 7 fishing and have upgraded rods and reels from Tabby's Tackle Shop / Bert's Bobbles 'n' Stuff.

Which is supposed to be more difficult between... the final quest from Naymath at Galdin Quay (Devil of the Cylligian) that gets you the Tranquillity rod or Gladio's camp tour in Vesperpool at the fishing spot by Bert's (Liege of the Lake)?

Plus I bet there might be better fishing gear that I just haven't found somewhere else.

They both seemed about equal in terms of difficulty honestly, and the arena in Altissia has the best reel for 85k, easily doable if you just be stingy with your early bets or wait till they start showing cactuar and courels.
Spoiler for one of the rewards.
That said, Gladio's will give you an infinite lure that returns even if you gently caress up the QTE.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I am very glad I selected a photograph of a delicious, refreshing Cup Noodle™ before going to the final battle. It made things even more touching.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I found out what Self-Timer does.

:allears:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

so if you're good you'll never see a summon.

neat!

If you're good or if you're overpowered, and it's not hard to be overpowered for any given content given how many side quests they are so sadly it seems if you like exploring a lot or are a completion is to any degree you are unlikely to see many summons.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

MMD3 posted:

If you're good or if you're overpowered, and it's not hard to be overpowered for any given content given how many side quests they are so sadly it seems if you like exploring a lot or are a completion is to any degree you are unlikely to see many summons.

I just did the level 99 quest Wondrous Weapon at level 58 and with no summons and I realized the secret to boss fights in this game: ignore your party members cause they're bad and will die all the time. Hoard your items for yourself, equip four regal weapons to stack your stats, learn the boss's patterns and always wait for a parry opportunity.

Oh and make max component quintcast spells. Those things are great, even if you haven't unlocked limit broken damage yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That naga boss in the sewer dungeon is a royal motherfucker

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Not much worse than the one you fight as part of the story, she can just catch you off guard if you don't have Maiden Kisses.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Open Marriage Night posted:

Which isn't the best tech to use with Ignis? I love regroup, but my friend is all in on the element one.

I find myself swapping between tech midcombat more and more the further I get, which is really kind of frustrating because why the hell not just put the ability to swap tech right in the combat tech menu rather than open the menu, go to gear, find the right character, pick the tech, exit the menu, open the tech menu, activate tech. loving seriously guys? Tech is intended to be allowed to swap mid battle but you didn't think to make it easier to use?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You could say the same about weapons, which can be switched in-combat. So they're all in an easy location. A bit troublesome, but better than the alternative (no switching at all).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

I thought it was a cool concept that you fell down and fought the boss early on and then worked your way up. Of course, turns out it's just a miniboss.

Anyway, timeline of pre-game events!!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Having just gotten the second summon Ramuh, I was wondering what, if any use I'd get out of it.

Then I took on a 38 Bounty to kill 5 Coerls (at lvl 37). It took 17 minutes of unrelenting murdercombat to just kill two of the bastards, and after my 4th team-res I got the L2 summon and he incinerated the entire forest for me. It was loving rad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Legs Benedict posted:

That is a gross misunderstanding of the story (such as it is)

I like to see it as Noctis gaining the blessing of Knights of the Round and then casting it on himself somehow.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I like to see it as Noctis gaining the blessing of Knights of the Round and then casting it on himself somehow.

The previous kings being the Knights of the Round is a pretty good way of looking at things.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Any word on if square will sell a kings tale on the psn store?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Luceid posted:

I am very glad I selected a photograph of a delicious, refreshing Cup Noodle™ before going to the final battle. It made things even more touching.

Amazing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/805744000762118144

:eyepop:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
postgame spoilers for a car thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywz63DBYC8c

be careful

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Very minor spoilers for people nearing chapter 13 and are concerned about a ton of stuff:

When you hit CH 13, you end up playing as Noct alone for about 3/4 of the chapter without the rest of your party. You also don't have any of your weapons except for something that is given to you. With that something that is given to you, it is best to just use the hold down left bumper/L1/whatever the gently caress the guard/dodge key is mapped to in order to kill the enemies. Don't even bother with the stealth poo poo or use the other ability. Do that, and you save yourself from a massive headache. It's a little tedious this way, but you end up saving a ton of potions/elixers in the process.

You do end up getting a sword about 1/2 way in which really really helps and makes the rest of the chapter a lot easier and almost trivial.

At the end of CH 13 and also at the beginning of CH 14, you get the option to use Umbra to go back in time and do sidequests+make tons of money. Don't worry about getting locked out of that.

I highly suggest using Umbra at the near end of CH 13 to go back (if needed) in order to stock up on potions/elixers. You don't need to go overboard in buying stuff, but make sure you have enough just in case you are low for some reason. A couple pheonix downs wouldn't hurt to have on hand either either.

There's a mildly frustrating section that occurs right at the end of the above mentioned section. It basically has you run towards an elevator with a timer in place. Just bolt for the loving elevator and remember to use and hold down the dodge button with the "something that is given to you" on the final stretch. It makes that section a lot easier and prevents you from getting stun locked when you almost make it to the elevator.

CH 13 really isn't that bad. It's just loving boring and long.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To wit, I think Chapter 13 is more or less fine (sans the awful moving mechanics) but I do wish it wasn't the only dungeon of that length in the main story game. The atmosphere was fantastic, but it stretches out for a pretty long while.

I think it's more that the combat feels heavily restricted and the new abilities don't make up for it and this game simply doesn't work without its combat engine running at all cylinders. That said, I actually didn't hate Chapter 13 at all, it's clunky but satisfying in a lot of ways too and it helps make the impending story elements more meaningful as well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I gave all my dudes pink chocos. It owns.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The instakill AoE button is fun and is how I did most of the combat in CH13.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I said come in! posted:

Here is where the game was FFXV back in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDucrHWAFdk almost none of this made it into the final version, we even see the Leviathan fight is almost entirely different from what we got.

Similar to the FF13 trailer back in e3 2006, the e3 2013 of FF15 trailer was a pre-rendered video shown to hype up the game and serve as a target render. Silicon Studios, which provided middleware, even lists the trailer as a tech demo instead of a game. The only real time gameplay seems to be the battle footage in the plaza.

It would probably be better if the company managed expectations by only showing actual gameplay instead of a target render that is subject to change. However, this is a problem they've struggled with for a very time. There is always pressure from from investors to show that they're a productive and have several games in development, even if development of those games hasn't begun yet or has gone terribly wrong.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It is a bit of a mystery, to me, why SE left so many important plot developments offscreen and still felt the need to keep in the bit where it's obliquely revealed that Prompto is a god damned test tube baby developed in Niflheim to be raw materials for Magitek soldier development. Who gains from that? Half the appeal of that dork is how ordinary he is compared to all his royal buddies.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm up to Chapter 7 and I absolutely love Aranea. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I still think magic in this game is handled well for its intended use. I am pretty much always flush with it thanks to draw points in every dungeon and at every campsite. I have at least half my flasks filled at all times, maybe more. I never really have to think too hard about when to use it because it's so plentiful.

Aranea is my second favorite character after Ardyn. I just finished Ch 7 and her interactions with the crew were top notch.

• Locked thread