Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Thought Brohm might hold out for Cincinnati to stay closer to home. Cincinnati was probably a better option for winning games too, that's going to be tough at Purdue. But if the $3m/year report I saw is correct then good for him I guess. I still think he's the next guy at Louisville whenever Bobby leaves, no matter where he ends up in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Brohm's an awesome hire for Purdue. Good for them for going that route and not with a retread like Miles, but god playing against his offense is gonna suck a lot.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Thought Brohm might hold out for Cincinnati to stay closer to home. Cincinnati was probably a better option for winning games too, that's going to be tough at Purdue. But if the $3m/year report I saw is correct then good for him I guess. I still think he's the next guy at Louisville whenever Bobby leaves, no matter where he ends up in between.

Also most coaches want to be at a P5 school. Even if Purdue is a bad P5 job there are only so many of them to go around. In the AAC your ceiling most years is the loving Military Bowl.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 5, 2016

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

MourningView posted:

Brohm's an awesome hire for Purdue. Good for them for going that route and not with a retread like Miles, but god playing against his offense is gonna suck a lot.

Also most coaches want to be at a P5 school. Even if Purdue is a bad P5 job there are only so many of them to go around. In the AAC your ceiling most years is the loving Military Bowl.

Good fuckin hire :getin:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

West Lafayette to Cinci is like 4 hours - where is Brohm from?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

He's a Louisville native.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

He's a Louisville native.

Ah - so like 4 hours from home. That's still close.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin are typically going to beat Purdue, but there's no reason why Purdue can't outcompete Minnesota, Northwestern, and Illinois. With the right coaching and recruiting Purdue is a good place to be. They pay well and don't have crazy expectations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think you'll find Lovie Smith is bringing the Illini back to immediate prominence

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

You can do Lafayette to Louisville in three.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Regnevelc posted:

West Lafayette to Louisville is about 3 hours, so really only an hour or so more than it was to Bowling Green. Just feels farther I guess, northern Indiana vs. central Kentucky are pretty different.

The Power 5 thing makes sense too. You'd think I'd know this being a fan of a low tier Power 5 school.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mike_V posted:

I think you'll find Lovie Smith is bringing the Illini back to immediate prominence

back?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Back from

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Regnevelc posted:

More like two and a half really. But for $20 Million over six years I think I could stomach it.

They just put a ton of money into facilities and Doug Griffith's, who has been one of the harshest critics of the program, is already saying the staff will be the highest paid in Purdue history by a large margin.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

They went to the rose bowl that one year.

Love me some juice Williams

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

Soooooooo what's going on in Eugene?

Taggart is supposedly the leading candidate so far. More interviews going on today, I'd be surprised if they don't make an announcement the next couple of days. Harsin's been interviewed, Fleck has not it sounds like but might have been waiting until after their title game?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There's no reason why Purdue can't be a reasonably good 7 or 8 win team almost every year. They were never going to win a national championship under Joe Tiller, but he had them in bowls every year with one of the most exciting offenses in college football. If Indiana can get to being a bowl team, Purdue can get back there also. Who knows if Indiana stays above .500 in the future. I agree that Purdue ought to be able to compete with Minnesota, NW, Indiana, Illinois, and maybe Iowa every year.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Komet posted:

There's no reason why Purdue can't be a reasonably good 7 or 8 win team almost every year. They were never going to win a national championship under Joe Tiller, but he had them in bowls every year with one of the most exciting offenses in college football. If Indiana can get to being a bowl team, Purdue can get back there also. Who knows if Indiana stays above .500 in the future. I agree that Purdue ought to be able to compete with Minnesota, NW, Indiana, Illinois, and maybe Iowa every year.

Should be able to steal one from Michigan/Michigan State/Ohio State/Wisconsin/Nebraska every so often, too.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I was just spitballin on the drive time, y'all.

I've been to West Lafayette once and I got the gently caress out quickly.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Regnevelc posted:

I was just spitballin on the drive time, y'all.

I've been to West Lafayette once and I got the gently caress out quickly.

Part of having lived in Indiana means being able to estimate driving times to Chicago, Cincy, Detroit and Cedar Point from anywhere in the state. You are also expected to be able to estimate the impact of traffic on said drive time based on the time of day and weather.

I'm pretty sure its part of the driving test.

I only know because we lived in WL when I learned how to drive

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/secfootball/status/805557595184300032

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I didn't think we won enough over the past 30yrs to warrant this level of karmic :a2m: instability but who loving knows anymore drat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Oregon: Former Oregon head coach & athletic director Mike Bellotti said on the Finebaum show this afternoon that his 4 coaches he would interview were Matt Rhule, Jim McElwain, Willie Taggart and Dan Mullen.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Miles to Florida, book it, Vince.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If I were Florida's AD I would drive his creepy youth minister rear end to the airport myself and start calling Taggart and Dan Mullen's agents on the drive home.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

If I were Florida's AD I would drive his creepy youth minister rear end to the airport myself and start calling Taggart and Dan Mullen's agents on the drive home.

I'd take Taggart. I don't like Mullen much though. I'd take Holgo w/ Strong as DC.

Is the shine off Hudspeth these days?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

I disagree

Cell phones and driving are not a good combo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I'd take Taggart. I don't like Mullen much though. I'd take Holgo w/ Strong as DC.

I think so. Lou-Laff has been hovering around 500 lately. I think his time to get out was a couple years ago.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

I feel like almost any decent Big 12 offense guy could manage 8-4 at UF given the current state of the East.

I think Mullen would also do fine but I prefer pass first to run first.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

$10 million a year don't buy what it used to I guess

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Fentress, the CSN writer that the McElwain rumor is being attributed to, put up a new article that starts off with:

quote:

Strong indications are that Oregon had its man in place but a deal fell through in the 11th hour. That man was likely Florida's Jim McElwain, whom on Sunday I ranked as the most likely replacement for Mark Helfrich.

I'm not sure he really has any inside knowledge, I can't recall him breaking anything big in the past. This is what he based his list of candidates on:

quote:

Here is my rankings based on probability that's based mostly on pure hearsay with some inside info

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

wernox posted:

Part of having lived in Indiana means being able to estimate driving times to Chicago, Cincy, Detroit and Cedar Point from anywhere in the state. You are also expected to be able to estimate the impact of traffic on said drive time based on the time of day and weather.

I'm pretty sure its part of the driving test.

I only know because we lived in WL when I learned how to drive

Indiana residents need to know the fastest routes to escape Indiana.

West Lafayette sucks rear end but is at least decently close to some fun places- 2 hours to Chicago, 1 hour to Indianapolis, 3 to Louisville/Cincinnati.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I feel like almost any decent Big 12 offense guy could manage 8-4 at UF given the current state of the East.

I think Mullen would also do fine but I prefer pass first to run first.

McElwain to Oregon would be one of the strangest CFB head coaching moves in recent years. Only other strange one like that was Bielema to Arkansas.

Well Florida's new AD was just at MSU so I'm sure Mullen would get a strong look.

I don't care too much either way other than there's no great coaches left on the table if this goes down. PJ Fleck I guess?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think Mullen would kill it at Florida. Getting Miss State to number 1 and 10 wins, and generally keeping them at least semi competitive in the west is a hell of an accomplishment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mullen is apparently a huge jackass and word was that was part of why he couldn't get out of Miss State because he was a terrible interview. That's largely rumor and scuttlebutt though so grain of salt and all that. Having his former AD go to Florida definitely could give him a better chance though.

an adult beverage posted:

McElwain to Oregon would be one of the strangest CFB head coaching moves in recent years. Only other strange one like that was Bielema to Arkansas.

I think a big reason for that was because Bielema couldn't stand working for Barry Alvarez.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

big money big clit posted:

I think Mullen would kill it at Florida. Getting Miss State to number 1 and 10 wins, and generally keeping them at least semi competitive in the west is a hell of an accomplishment.

Wow, I completely forgot that Mississippi State were #1 for a minute with Dak.

smithers
Jun 18, 2013
Aaron Fentress doesn't know what he's talking about.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I wish he wouldn't go, but it's in everyone's best interest if McElwain leaves to Oregon

Except possibly Oregon's.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

The BS out there about Lane Kiffin tonight is more agent leaking BS.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

an adult beverage posted:

Bielema isn't even the weirdest Wisconsin exile in recent memory. How soon we've all forgotten that Gary Andersen chose to go to Oregon State rather than stay another year in Madison.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

I wish he wouldn't go, but it's in everyone's best interest if McElwain leaves to Oregon

Except possibly Oregon's.

Mac mentioned it being a negative recruiting rumor but he didn't explicitly deny it either.

I wouldn't be surprised. 2016 has been pretty rough no matter what. Give me Holgo and 4K passing yards in 17 please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

punched my v-card at camp posted:

Bielema isn't even the weirdest Wisconsin exile in recent memory. How soon we've all forgotten that Gary Andersen chose to go to Oregon State rather than stay another year in Madison.

Yeah you're right. Man, Barry Alvarez must be a really annoying piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread