Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pork never goes bad posted:

Have you tried the standalone client?

I may try this. Anything is worth a try now that I play a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Goon Discord (PoE too): https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

Auth info in #rules_and_info, only have to do it once to be good for everything on http://discordgoons.com/

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
oops, double tapped

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Crit depends on what you're giving up elsewhere. It's easy to get enough crit multiplier to outpace double dipping EO since that's 1.4*1.4 or 2.16. 400 crit multiplier is probably easily achievable. The question is how much other damage you'd be giving up for it, since noncrit builds tend to get up to around 800% increased damage total, and crit will be much lower. Dropping 25% pen isn't as bad as it looks since that doesn't work on the DoT component anyways.

Also since you are no longer relying on chance to ignite (everything hit will either get ignited or not ignited based on crit), you might just not use any kind of prolif which means you don't have to use Southbound.

Resists very much matter for ignites, it's why every ignite build does Flammability + Elemental Weakness, they both double dip, same with Elemental Equilibrium. It's true that prolif wouldn't matter as much, but it is still a sizeable increase to your area, and right now with Breaches is a huge boost to clear speed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cinara posted:

Resists very much matter for ignites, it's why every ignite build does Flammability + Elemental Weakness, they both double dip, same with Elemental Equilibrium. It's true that prolif wouldn't matter as much, but it is still a sizeable increase to your area, and right now with Breaches is a huge boost to clear speed.
I'm actually running Flammability and Enfeeble :ohdear:

Eleweak would give me another huge chunk of damage but it would also get me killed a lot of the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think the keyword is penetration. Elemental penetration only applies to hits so dot effects don't benefit from this. Flammability/ ele weakness are just lowering resist, not penetrating them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Can Silver Coins I pick up in Normal or Cruel be saved and used in Merciless?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes

theshim
May 1, 2012

And they really should be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Before leaving for work this morning I glimpsed a video of a build that uses Vortex but turns it from cold to fire and from fire to chaos somehow. How does that work, why is it a good thing and is it expensive?

I know Chaos dodges resist and reflect problems but that's all I know about it

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I wish prophecies would realize what acts you have done already. I don't want a silver coin to go do some dumb poo poo in the crypts when I'm level 85. There should be a switch that flips to map only prophecies after a certain point.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm guessing vortex isnt a great leveling skill? Ipicked it up at 28 with a pyre and tossed it in with added cold, and it takes like 8 casts to kill a rare somteims. Definitely might be doing something wrong but even normal packs dont get one shot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Before leaving for work this morning I glimpsed a video of a build that uses Vortex but turns it from cold to fire and from fire to chaos somehow. How does that work, why is it a good thing and is it expensive?

I know Chaos dodges resist and reflect problems but that's all I know about it
This works using Pyre and The Consuming Dark daggers, and uses poison as well (which also scales with spell damage thanks to Vortex). It's kinda eh now because chaos conversion got nerfed pretty hard so at best you'd only get 60% chaos/40% fire dual wielding those (75%/25% with an Infernal Mantle). Full chaos conversion was pretty awesome, but it needed to go.

theshim
May 1, 2012

queeb posted:

I'm guessing vortex isnt a great leveling skill? Ipicked it up at 28 with a pyre and tossed it in with added cold, and it takes like 8 casts to kill a rare somteims. Definitely might be doing something wrong but even normal packs dont get one shot.
It really took off for me around 40 or so, and it's really helped by having an ascendancy unlocked. You'll also need Chance to Ignite to get the ball rolling if you're working on ignites. Can you link your character?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

e:f;b by shim

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait is poison a separate damage type? I thought it was just a generic term for all degens (burning from an ignite, the dot from essence drain/contagion, etc)

this game is too complicated for me :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

While I'm at it what's the difference between burn and ignite anyway, I'm starting to get the impression they're two totally different mechanics and now I'm just confused about how pyre vortex works

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Ignite is an effect caused by fire damage hits, which results in the burn status ailment.

All ignites produce burns, but not all burns come from ignites. Righteous Fire burns you and enemies, but never hits and doesn't cause ignites. Same for Scorching Ray. Things like fireball and flameblast can ignite enemies, causing them to burn for a portion of the initial hit.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

wait is poison a separate damage type? I thought it was just a generic term for all degens (burning from an ignite, the dot from essence drain/contagion, etc)

this game is too complicated for me :saddowns:
Poison is one of the damage over time effects in PoE! Poison, Bleed and Ignite are the primary DoTs. Bleed does physical damage and deals more when moving, Ignite deals burning damage, and Poison deals chaos damage.

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm at it what's the difference between burn and ignite anyway, I'm starting to get the impression they're two totally different mechanics and now I'm just confused about how pyre vortex works
Ignite causes but is not the only source of burning damage, to really make things complicated - things like Fire Trap and Righteous Fire and Scorching Ray cause the target to burn, but they don't hit, so they can't ignite.

Hits that deal fire damage can ignite - some skills, like Fireball, have this baked in. A critical hit that deals fire damage will always ignite.

Similarly, physical hits can cause bleeding with the right gear or skills, and poison is based on the physical and chaos damage of the initial hit.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Poison is one of the damage over time effects in PoE! Poison, Bleed and Ignite are the primary DoTs. Bleed does physical damage and deals more when moving, Ignite deals burning damage, and Poison deals chaos damage.

Ignite causes but is not the only source of burning damage, to really make things complicated - things like Fire Trap and Righteous Fire and Scorching Ray cause the target to burn, but they don't hit, so they can't ignite.

Hits that deal fire damage can ignite - some skills, like Fireball, have this baked in. A critical hit that deals fire damage will always ignite.

so if poison deals chaos damage, does that mean essence drain is a poison (and therefore affected by items/nodes that affect poison damage)?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Ignites are a subset of burning, the wiki explains it the best here, http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Burning

But TL;DR, burns stack with each other from seperate sources, ignite is a source so different ignites don't stack but ignite would stack with say Searing Bond Totem and Scorching Ray all at the same time.

Ciaphas posted:

so if poison deals chaos damage, does that mean essence drain is a poison (and therefore affected by items/nodes that affect poison damage)?

No. But you can support Essence Drain WITH Poison, which both scale from your chaos damage.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

No. Essence Drain is an exception as the skill has its own built-in DoT effect. You can use the poison gem or the Consuming Dark with Essence Drain and make it poison as well, for even more damage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Here, maybe this will help.

There's 5 basic types of damage: physical, lightning, cold, fire, and chaos (this is also the order in which damage conversions occur; it will never go backwards because infinite loops). For the player, and without considering any other modifiers:

Physical damage over time is bleeding. It is 10% of the hit (60% if the target is moving) per second for 5 seconds. Bleeding does not stack.
Lightning damage over time isnt' possible by players.
Cold damage over time comes from Vortex.
Fire damage over time is Burning. Ignite is Burning damage caused by a hit of fire damage, either by crit (100%) or succeeding a chance to ignite check. That burning will be 20% of the hit's fire damage taken per second for 4 seconds. There are non-hit forms of burning, such as Scorching Ray or fire conversion Vortex. Burning can stack if it comes from different sources (this is the key to fire conversion Vortex; you can get an Burning from the initial explosion if it ignites and you get the burning from the DoT portion lolno this part is wrong) or if you have the Emberwake ring.
Chaos damage over time from a hit is Poison. It is 8% of the combined physical+chaos damage per second for 2 seconds. Poison does stack. There's also Caustic Arrow, which leaves a chaos DoT cloud, which is not Poison.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

whypick1 posted:

Here, maybe this will help.

There's 5 basic types of damage: physical, lightning, cold, fire, and chaos (this is also the order in which damage conversions occur; it will never go backwards because infinite loops). For the player, and without considering any other modifiers:

Physical damage over time is bleeding. Bleeding does not stack.
Lightning damage over time isnt' possible by players.
Cold damage over time comes from Vortex.
Fire damage over time is Burning. Ignite is Burning damage caused by a hit of fire damage, either by crit (100%) or succeeding a chance to ignite check. That burning will be 80% of the hit's fire damage taken over the course of 4 seconds. There are non-hit forms of burning, such as Scorching Ray or fire conversion Vortex (from the DoT portion; you can ignite from the hit and have burning from the DoT part and the two will stack; hence the power of fire conversion Vortex).
Chaos damage over time from a hit is Poison. It is 16% of the combined physical+chaos damage taken over 2s. Poison does stack. There's also Caustic Arrow, which leaves a chaos DoT cloud, which is not Poison.

I was just about to post and ask if you get two burns from fire-converted Vortex, one from the initial hit if it ignites (either by crit or chance to ignite) and one from the pool itself, then I refreshed and saw your post, so I guess I'm slowly starting to get it

Thanks, this actually explains a lot, along with Essence Drain being its own odd duck :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I was just about to post and ask if you get two burns from fire-converted Vortex, one from the initial hit if it ignites (either by crit or chance to ignite) and one from the pool itself, then I refreshed

Thanks, this actually explains a lot, along with Essence Drain being its own odd duck :v:
DoTs actually aren't subject to conversion, so Pyre Vortex deals fire damage on the initial hit, fire damage over time with the ignite, and cold damage with the pool left behind. Pyre Vortex doesn't really care about scaling the pool, though, and the fact that it automatically chills is super helpful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress, well, I was close to getting it, then :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, well, I was close to getting it, then :v:
The pool will actually do non-negligible damage, for what it's worth v:shobon:v

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Huh, didn't realize DoTs weren't converted. See, we're all learning something today!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So if the point of Pyre Vortex isn't to double-dip on burns, but just to get the chance at the one mass ignite, why Vortex for igniting? Is it just for the free chill cloud and cold dot to go with it, or something to do with elemental proliferation/overload/equilibrium (I keep confusing these), or what?

theshim
May 1, 2012

help I know way too much about path of exile

Also thinking when I get home tonight I'm going to switch out my boots for Windscream and add a CoH Eleweak setup to my Orb of Storms. Shame they only have 10% movespeed, but it'll give me a huge boost to damage for a much smaller survivability loss.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

So if the point of Pyre Vortex isn't to double-dip on burns, but just to get the chance at the one mass ignite, why Vortex for igniting? Is it just for the free chill cloud and cold dot to go with it?
Vortex has the line on it "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage over Time." This, like with Essence Drain, means modifiers to spell damage will double-dip - they apply both to the initial hit and to the ignite that results from it (as well as to the pool).

e: to be clearer: that line means that any DoTs caused by the skill will scale off spell damage, so Ignite, Poison, Bleed, and any native effects will all deal a lot more damage.

theshim fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 6, 2016

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

theshim posted:

help I know way too much about path of exile

Also thinking when I get home tonight I'm going to switch out my boots for Windscream and add a CoH Eleweak setup to my Orb of Storms. Shame they only have 10% movespeed, but it'll give me a huge boost to damage for a much smaller survivability loss.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/queebl/characters

Character is QueebV!

Edit: What ascendencys would you pick up first? I may ahve to switch over to firestorm to kill izaro I think.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theshim posted:

Vortex has the line on it "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage over Time." This, like with Essence Drain, means modifiers to spell damage will double-dip - they apply both to the initial hit and to the ignite that results from it (as well as to the pool).

e: to be clearer: that line means that any DoTs caused by the skill will scale off spell damage, so Ignite, Poison, Bleed, and any native effects will all deal a lot more damage.

does that Spell Damage line mean explicitly "Spell Damage" or does it also work for things that boost elemental damage (like the mace implicit affix)? Or even specifically ice/fire damage boosts?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Summon raging spirits is a real fun spell to use. The flying skulls are minions, right? So anything with minion effects them, but none of the other spell related skills. Except cast time, skill duration, mana cost and others I guess, but that's for summoning them, not their stats.

I read about Vaal summon skeleton and oh man :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

does that Spell Damage line mean explicitly "Spell Damage" or does it also work for things that boost elemental damage (like the mace implicit affix)? Or even specifically ice/fire damage boosts?
Elemental and Fire damage already double-dip on Ignites. Cold damage will not because Pyre will make it affect the initial hit, but the Ignite never does cold damage to be converted (and DoTs can't be converted anyway).

The line means explicitly spell damage. All that said, for my character that's something like an extra few hundred% increased damage on the ignites, which is why I can oneshot some map bosses when fully buffed up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for all the explanations. Whoo-buddy this poo poo hurts my head.

While posting all this I was looking about and saw this guy's idea for a Scorching Ray + RF Inquisitor. I kind of want to try it too, mainly because Ray is pretty :3: Not sure how I'd feel about standing and channeling the beam, though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

queeb posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/queebl/characters

Character is QueebV!

Edit: What ascendencys would you pick up first? I may ahve to switch over to firestorm to kill izaro I think.
If you're going Elementalist (I assume you are), you want Beacon of Ruin asap, so you'll pick up Shaper of Desolation first. SoD is also a pretty great damage amp, you'll be shocking enemies a bunch and getting guaranteed ignites for a while as well - it's not 100% consistent with the rotation mechanic but it still adds a lot to your clear. You can then grab Pendulum of Destruction and Mastermind of Discord from Merc/Uber labs.

You should grab a Chance to Ignite gem when you hit 31 (get it from the Library quest). Especially pre-SoD, it makes you ignite and clear a lot faster. It's also worth having a Conc Effect to swap in for bosses, kills them but good.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Orb of storms would still make things fire resistant using pyro though right? I use it and stuff goes cold vuln but still is lightning/fire reistant.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

queeb posted:

Orb of storms would still make things fire resistant using pyro though right? I use it and stuff goes cold vuln but still is lightning/fire reistant.

Does your weapon have added fire to spells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

SHISHKABOB posted:

Summon raging spirits is a real fun spell to use. The flying skulls are minions, right? So anything with minion effects them, but none of the other spell related skills. Except cast time, skill duration, mana cost and others I guess, but that's for summoning them, not their stats.

I read about Vaal summon skeleton and oh man :getin:

SRS has these tags: Spell, Minion, Duration, Fire.

Since they are a minion all minion related things effect them. Since they have a duration tag, the increased/reduced duration gems work with them as do the nodes on the tree. SRS do 50/50 fire and physical damage and get a bonus in an item that gives +1/+2 to fire gems, but not fire or elemental damage nodes on the tree because they are a minion. The spell tag is just there because you cast them, spell damage modifiers don't work on minions.

Before the 2.5 changes there was a higher max in the number of skulls you could summon so cast speed was very important. Getting enough mana regen to hit the cap is important as mana pots are clunky to use in the later levels.

• Locked thread