Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

chunkles posted:

what would 1% of a pizza place running a sex slavery ring being true even mean.

an employee jerking off in the bathroom and then going back to work without washing their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

chunkles posted:

selling pizza?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

reinsdorf needs to take some of that chris sale money and get a guy who knows how to play basketball, professionally

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Libertine posted:

It's hard to imagine why Bogut would think that a dude having pictures of toddlers taped to tables on his Instagram would be unsettling. Clearly Bogut is in the wrong here.

#makesuthink

Nets tickets are dirt cheap: what would you guys pick to see, the Sixers, the Hawks, or the Pelicans?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

That is a very binary accusation. 1% satanic ritual abuse for leading politicians is as bad as 100%. Not a fair rhetorical tack

I'm going to come into this NBA thread with my proverbial loaded handgun and I'm firing a round into the proverbial floor to say: Jimmy Butler has a unique face for an NBA player but looks like ancient greek depictions of any given Satyr

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Adun posted:

#makesuthink

Nets tickets are dirt cheap: what would you guys pick to see, the Sixers, the Hawks, or the Pelicans?

76ers or the Pelicans will be fun-bad games. If 76ers are on a back to back Embiid might not play. I'd probably want to see the Pelicans, but the 76ers might be a closer game.

Probably don't watch the Hawks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pelicans. Should definitely see Anthony Davis in person.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Bogut loves to troll the poo poo out of everyone.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think Butler could probably average a quadruple double if he had the advantage in lift from cloven hooves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

That is a very binary accusation. 1% satanic ritual abuse for leading politicians is as bad as 100%. Not a fair rhetorical tack

I'm going to come into this NBA thread with my proverbial loaded handgun and I'm firing a round into the proverbial floor to say: Jimmy Butler has a unique face for an NBA player but looks like ancient greek depictions of any given Satyr

Jimmy G Buckets, the G stands for Goat-Man Hybrid, Master of the pan-flute and wearer of the permanent erection.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Apparently not enough to not delete his Twitter posts though

And you guys are right, AD is a must see

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Adun posted:

Apparently not enough to not delete his Twitter posts though

And you guys are right, AD is a must see

Watch the Pelicans and the 76ers. In-person basketball is cool.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Niwrad posted:

Pelicans. Should definitely see Anthony Davis in person.

this, but Sixers instead of Pelicans and Joel Embiid instead of Anthony Davis

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Lol at Jimmy "Great God Pan" Butler

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
If this isn't a Pan as gently caress shirt than I don't know what is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nothing in the nba is as disappointing this season as the revelation that Bobby The Krazy Eyez Killa Portis is unplayable.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm dying

"DeMarcus do you have any words for the kids"
"gently caress THE HATERS"

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/806304972774117376

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
If Boogie wrote for Hallmark I would buy their cards

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Libertine posted:

It's hard to imagine why Bogut would think that a dude having pictures of toddlers taped to tables on his Instagram would be unsettling. Clearly Bogut is in the wrong here.
lmao

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

the knicks are actually a child sex trafficking ring. every time that phil jackson says triangle, he means kids.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He is just like all the dumb people on everyone's Facebook feed that believe fake news and think main stream media is for sheep except he plays like 34 minutes for the Mavs some weeks. I can't wait until the Mavs have a better center.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea what a disappointment. Hope they can get a pick or decent young talent from him at the deadline

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Remember when the Bulls built a team that can't shoot 3's and joked about how 3's are not that important?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jimmy's going to grind himself to dust for the next four years trying to get the 8 seed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

Players don't get to decide they are above the restricted free agency process.
But the Rockets probably don't even want him and wouldn't even use him. They already traded him once. I don't know, but I don't think it's completely black and white. At some point when things obviously aren't going to work out you'd think they could just let him walk. I mean, all they got by matching is the possibility to have a player with a broken back for $31m with a few options to cut him. And it's not like he really has trade value either.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wall scoring 52 and losing lmao

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Metapod posted:

Wall scoring 52 and losing lmao

to orlando.

washington are real bad

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

when you're compelled to post a college dunk in the NBA thread, you know it's good

https://twitter.com/DrewShiller/status/806289706119901185

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Beal is only 23 but looks to be awful on defense and has a forever stress fractured leg.
Porter is 23 and might actually be good.

Wall is 26 and pretty good I guess but just not superstar quality.

Markieff Morris sucks and Marcin Gortat is about replacement level I guess, and the bench isn't that good.

I guess blow it up but do you keep anyone besides Porter if you're the Wizards? Trade Beal and Wall? Beal is still so young and Wall is good... but if this core was strong they wouldn't suck so bad

Fast Luck posted:

But the Rockets probably don't even want him and wouldn't even use him. They already traded him once. I don't know, but I don't think it's completely black and white. At some point when things obviously aren't going to work out you'd think they could just let him walk. I mean, all they got by matching is the possibility to have a player with a broken back for $31m with a few options to cut him. And it's not like he really has trade value either.
This might be wrong since it's assuming the Rockets don't actually care about playing him sorry

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
FIBA rule is that NBA players can sign if their teams provide permission. I wouldn't be 100% shocked if the Rockets provided promission to allow FIBA play if he found a team willing to sign. They still maintain all their rights so there's not a ton of reason not to, and the NBA like most smart companies seem to be avoiding having their no-compete clauses challenged in court.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is anyone overseas going to pay him anywhere near what he'd make in the NBA?

The whole thing seems like a desperate ploy to sucker a team into giving him a long-term deal because they know his back is hosed. He probably should have just taken the QO and prayed his back would hold up for the season so he could cash in.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

Jimmy's going to grind himself to dust for the next four years trying to get the 8 seed.

He's scored 20+ points in fifteen straight games. The only Bull with a longer streak now is MJ.

This is probably the rousing apex of the Bulls season.

Brolander posted:

HELL yeah let's talk about PIZZAGATE in the NBA thread

(yall ready for this)

untz untz untz untz

I'm not an EXPERT on pizzagate yet but I believe Derrick Rose is involved.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I know Dejan and I picked them for biggest trainwreck on Zogo's poll and I'd be interested to see who else did, too. Poor PG

You picked the Bulls. Dejan was the only one to select Pacers.

RaySmuckles posted:

i think we just crossed the 25% line?

Yea, it is about 25% done. The Spurs D FG% is pretty bad this year and that will probably be their fatal flaw. Most signs point to the Clippers or Warriors winning it.

The Cavaliers/Spurs defenses have both regressed heavily since last year and are worse than average right now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NBA Pizza-gate

quote:

Even Jud Buechler turned into an offensive threat against the Celtics, perhaps the happiest Bull after a rare explosion for three three-point baskets. With no known nickname, he now has stumbled into one-Pizza Man.

His three-pointer with 10.4 seconds left permitted spectators to win personal-pan pizzas, a reward whenever the Bulls reach 125 and win.

"It was nice to see the crowd stay to the end," Buechler said.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-12-04/sports/9412040089_1_scottie-pippen-bulls-toni-kukoc

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Wait a minute, do you actually believe this stupidity?

I love conspiracy theories! I'm glad the many-decades long running British secret pedophile network in government story is finally starting to make its way over to the states. Was always hoping we'd start to get some good ones after all the Penn State and Denny Hastert and Catholic Church and Elijah Wood commenting on the Jimmy Savile stuff. Gawker used to be all about trying to tie the Clintons to pedophiles with conspiratorial thinking, shame they've decided to move in a less entertaining direction.

Foucault's Pendulum is my probably favorite book about conspiracy. Covers the history of (at least as old as the printing press), the methods of it (tons of plagiarism), and makes for an interesting story about the thrill of engaging with stories that of course you don't believe at all... or do you? The Prague Cemetery was good too but less fun. Everyone oughta read Eco. NOW Here's something REALLY unbelievable:
https://gfycat.com/NastyCarefulBagworm
Melo is finishing alley oops from the Knicks second best player, Kyle O'Quinn, and the Knicks are 3rd in the East!! This can't be the real world!!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is one of my favorite headlines of the season so far.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/rajon-rondo-doesnt-deny-that-he-threw-a-towel-in-a-coachs-face/

Also weird part of the article.

quote:

According to a source, Rondo was angry with Boylen for pulling him out of the game – Boylen often handles the rotation minutes during games – and started dressing the coach down on the bench. The guard talked his way back into the game with Hoiberg, and as he was going to check in, walked by Boylen and threw a towel in the coach’s face.

Do assistant coaches usually handle the NBA rotation?

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 7, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And here was O'Quinn's other oop to Melo: https://gfycat.com/EvergreenElderlyBobcat

If O'Quinn were like two inches taller he could be a star.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

attackmole posted:

Yeah he can't shoot worth poo poo...yet. Right now everything he's achieving is because he's loving unguardable around the rim. He's a matchup nightmare, distributes the ball, and plays good defence for a 21 year old.

Basically this. At 21 with his current skill set he's already looking like a guaranteed all star. If he gets an outside shot, the league is gonna be hosed.

e: Wait a sec, he just turned 22 today HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIANNIS
aww poo poo i share a birthday with him, now i have to root for his career (even more)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

I think we're saying "this is a weird statistic what explains it?" like ten million years before we're suggesting Kawhi Leonard is not a good defender. Unless Bashez was suggesting that no he wouldn't do that, would he?

Deducting off court stats from on court stats in a recipe for disaster as there are numerous invalid assumptions built into the premise. In reality the Spurs lineups are different when Kawhi is on/off the court. Likewise, the opponents are different when he's on/off the court. It is not a valid equation and players can be overly penalized/credited for indirect stats.

Another issue is that with on/off stats the data is chopped in half so that the sample is decreased. This is even a bigger issue early in the season. Right now with Kawhi we're comparing basically fourteen games (700 minutes) he's played against six games (300 minutes) he hasn't. Six games is nothing.

I remember people using math to prove that Steve Nash in his twilight PHX years was actually the MVP because of the huge on/off splits. It looked good on paper but was too reliant on indirectness.

Spite posted:

How many minutes has Kawhi played with Pau and LMA?

354 minutes.

EvanTH posted:

I love conspiracy theories! I'm glad the many-decades long running British secret pedophile network in government story is finally starting to make its way over to the states. Was always hoping we'd start to get some good ones after all the Penn State and Denny Hastert and Catholic Church and Elijah Wood commenting on the Jimmy Savile stuff. Gawker used to be all about trying to tie the Clintons to pedophiles with conspiratorial thinking, shame they've decided to move in a less entertaining direction.

Foucault's Pendulum is my probably favorite book about conspiracy. Covers the history of (at least as old as the printing press), the methods of it (tons of plagiarism), and makes for an interesting story about the thrill of engaging with stories that of course you don't believe at all... or do you? The Prague Cemetery was good too but less fun. Everyone oughta read Eco. NOW Here's something REALLY unbelievable:
https://gfycat.com/NastyCarefulBagworm
Melo is finishing alley oops from the Knicks second best player, Kyle O'Quinn, and the Knicks are 3rd in the East!! This can't be the real world!!

I like them too. But the people who don't believe any conspiracies exist at all? I hope those people are abducted by aliens in short order.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/memgrizz/status/806356510523523072

Marc and Z-Bo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

I believe the stat is that the Spurs had the best defense in the league last year with Duncan on the bench. The defense wasn't all him last year. Going from Duncan to Gasol has been a downgrade though.

Of course it wasn't all him but he was the most elite defender in the whole league last year:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...&order_by_asc=Y

Duncan/Kawhi shared 1,230 minutes together last year. Duncan could be plugged into different situations and cannot now.

These silly off/on court splits with tiny minutes worth of info are misinformative at best and at worst can be used to create a lot of disinformation.

Bashez posted:

With Duncan off the floor the Spurs had a 100.9 defensive rating, still good enough for best in the league. It's just weird as gently caress to have such a collapse defensively like this with all signs pointing to it being Kawhi.

A 100.9 rating with 2,405 minutes (smaller portion of the season). It's his first season as the leader of the team. 30+ USG% with his biggest scoring load yet. His D was going to suffer. Also, he's still young at age 25. Like many other players Kawhi was good enough to excel in his younger years when playing alongside another MVP-level guy. It's unlikely Kareem wins a title with the Bucks without Oscar. It's unlikely Magic wins a title without Kareem in the early 1980s. Kobe doesn't win without Shaq. It's the same story.

It bears repeating that Duncan is a huge loss. Not just being on the court but also on the bench and in practices etc. He's a super veteran. Ginobili/Parker are both a year older too.

Niwrad posted:

Do assistant coaches usually handle the NBA rotation?

I believe so.

• Locked thread