Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

That's..,quite high. You might want to start with some low intensity steady exercise. Like walking briskly for 30-45 minutes or something.
Yeah. I was going to be on the treadmill and maintain ~140bpm for 40+ minutes. I think 130-140 bpm was at around 3-3.2mph which is garbage but I could maintain it indefinitely and felt fine the whole time without even really sweating. I should have lots of easy conditioning gains. I should probably look into cardio more because I can probably keep a higher bpm fine.

My idle bpm is over 90bpm lots of the day. Sitting around for a long time it dips to around 78 now. Probably the lowest it's been since I was 9-10 years old. It was at around 105-108bpm before I started working out with maybe 96-98bpm while sleeping/sitting down. I have a prosthetic aorta valve and some mild stenosis due to that as well as some thickening of the left ventricle. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to lift, but lifting has gone well besides squats.

bamhand posted:

Do some HIIT. 2 hours of cardio is a waste of time.
I don't think HIIT is for me due to the medical stuff and poor conditioning in general. I am fine with wasting my time doing 2-4 hours of cardio per week as long as it gets results.

I am up for trying more intense stuff that's less time consuming, though.

numberoneposter posted:

my max HR is like 195 lol

Tolkien minority posted:

are you on any meds? those can really gently caress with your heart rate. not gunna tell you to stop taking things you need obv but it might explain it. you also could just be in horrible shape
My max bpm I've seen in the past few months is around 210. It felt insane. I'm 29. I don't know what my literal max is. The only medications I'm on are warfarin and 162mg of aspirin per day. Neither should have any impact on heart rate at 103kg.

My lifting conditioning is alright besides while squatting. My heart rate doesn't exceed 155bpm after sets of compounds and usually doesn't even get that high. I can do volume work just fine on all lifts except squats. To compensate, if I'm supposed to squat 10x4 I'll do 5x8 instead but adjust as necessary. I like to try to do more than 5 up to the prescribed amount, next set do 5 subtract the extras and then repeat that cycle until I hit the programmed number of reps for the day at that weight. Takes a lot of time but works well.

The squat struggle makes no sense to me because I can blow my squat numbers of the water on a number of lifts that use any important parts of the squat. I can also do volume work just fine on deadlifts.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Pon de Bundy posted:

yeah im thinking its a cyst...oh..i use this product called Sweet Sweat to warm myself up before i work out

i got it at the Arnold in 2013

holy poo poo...that stuff is so oily and greasy..that could be what did it...

i only use it because it was free.

Apparently that's a topical vasodilator. Here's a fun sentence curtosy of google:
I need to apply a topical vasodilator to the tail of rats, so I can draw blood more easily from their tail ...

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Failed my deadlift pr and died. I would say wish me well in swolehalla, but it was less than 3 plates :rip:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Khorne posted:

Yeah. I was going to be on the treadmill and maintain ~140bpm for 40+ minutes. I think 130-140 bpm was at around 3-3.2mph which is garbage but I could maintain it indefinitely and felt fine the whole time without even really sweating. I should have lots of easy conditioning gains. I should probably look into cardio more because I can probably keep a higher bpm fine.

My idle bpm is over 90bpm lots of the day. Sitting around for a long time it dips to around 78 now. Probably the lowest it's been since I was 9-10 years old. It was at around 105-108bpm before I started working out with maybe 96-98bpm while sleeping/sitting down. I have a prosthetic aorta valve and some mild stenosis due to that as well as some thickening of the left ventricle. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to lift, but lifting has gone well besides squats.
I don't think HIIT is for me due to the medical stuff and poor conditioning in general. I am fine with wasting my time doing 2-4 hours of cardio per week as long as it gets results.

My max bpm I've seen in the past few months is around 210. It felt insane. I'm 29. I don't know what my literal max is. The only medications I'm on are warfarin and 162mg of aspirin per day. Neither should have any impact on heart rate at 103kg.

My lifting conditioning is alright besides while squatting. My heart rate doesn't exceed 155bpm after sets of compounds and usually doesn't even get that high. I can do volume work just fine on all lifts except squats. To compensate, if I'm supposed to squat 10x4 I'll do 5x8 instead but adjust as necessary. I like to try to do more than 5 up to the prescribed amount, next set do 5 subtract the extras and then repeat that cycle until I hit the programmed number of reps for the day at that weight. Takes a lot of time but works well.

The squat struggle makes no sense to me because I can blow my squat numbers of the water on a number of lifts that use any important parts of the squat. I can also do volume work just fine on deadlifts.

Woah woah. You do NOT want your heart rate at 210. Ever. At your age your target heart rate is about 165 when doing cardio, at the most. If you're getting up to 210, you need to dial it down, especially with your medical history

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

is your diet and sleep in check? thats real bad idk. i dont know if warfarin would contribute but it's some serious stuff. def cut out any and all stimulants (including caffeine) immediately if you take any. if your con/ditioning is so poor that that a 20 minute mile is cardio for you i would focus on that and maybe like start walking or swimming or something idk. 103 kg is also overweight unless your built af (which I doubt) so that def contributes

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Woah woah. You do NOT want your heart rate at 210. Ever. At your age your target heart rate is about 165 when doing cardio, at the most. If you're getting up to 210, you need to dial it down, especially with your medical history
It only went to 210 or so the first time I deadlifted. Since then it goes nowhere near there.

Cardio I kept it near 130-140.

Tolkien minority posted:

is your diet and sleep in check? thats real bad idk. i dont know if warfarin would contribute but it's some serious stuff. def cut out any and all stimulants (including caffeine) immediately if you take any. if your con/ditioning is so poor that that a 20 minute mile is cardio for you i would focus on that and maybe like start walking or swimming or something idk. 103 kg is also overweight unless your built af (which I doubt) so that def contributes
I sleep 8+ hours and don't take any stimulants or anything like that. I don't even drink or smoke anything. Heck, I haven't had caffeine in over 2 months.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2016

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Got pain in my forearms when lifting. That's new to me, so I'm taking the rest of the week off. Figure it has something to do with me lowering reps in favor of higher weight, but like everyone else here I have a brain problem that makes me think I'm going to lose all my gains.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Failed my deadlift pr and died. I would say wish me well in swolehalla, but it was less than 3 plates :rip:

Good username/post combo.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Got pain in my forearms when lifting. That's new to me, so I'm taking the rest of the week off. Figure it has something to do with me lowering reps in favor of higher weight, but like everyone else here I have a brain problem that makes me think I'm going to lose all my gains.

I got random knee pain today while warming up for squats. Like searing intensely hot knee pain once I hit 185. However I am no bitch and did my working sets anyways.

*hobbles away on broken hips and lower back*

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Practiced karate for a solid hour in a wicking shirt, which I've never done before.

And will never do again, my nipples are chafed. At least they aren't bleeding.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

I am not a doctor, so all I'll say here is look after yourself mate, and don't push too hard. :)

This morning I did six sets of lateral raises, between 10-15 reps per set. Ow my shoulders.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

I am not a doctor, so all I'll say here is look after yourself mate, and don't push too hard. :)
I read a poo poo ton of actual research, case studies, etc, and I also got this stuff approved by 2 cardiologists and my thoracic surgeon. It was a big decision. And the first week or two sucked because my heart rate would borderline max at times. If that didn't improve I would have quit lifting really quick. Since then, it has been all good pretty much.

The tl;dr is I have increased risks of certain things relative to the average person but not increased enough for it to really matter. And yeah, I am careful about not pushing myself in certain ways. I don't get lightheaded or anything so that's a great sign, and I haven't gotten any chest pains either. Overall, it might even be decreasing my chances of something bad happening due to the positive effects on blood pressure, heart rate, and stuff like that.

I'm still not sure how far I can take it, but judging by how things have progressed probably pretty far. If I can't handle really heavy stuff then I can always switch to more bb-centric stuff I guess. It's great finding something I can actually do, and having a surgery in march then starting lifting in june is a huge contrast to being more or less bedridden for the past few years and getting lightheaded just doing laundry or going to the store.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 8, 2016

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i wish it was acceptable to say 'no' when someone asks to work in.
there is. lie - "oh, I just have one more set"

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Practiced karate for a solid hour in a wicking shirt, which I've never done before.

And will never do again, my nipples are chafed. At least they aren't bleeding.
wicking shirts are always the worst. all my favorite gym shirts have around 25% cotton in them at least, but I sweat less than average

Pon de Bundy posted:

pain i can deal with but why the sudden fatty lump underneathe ONLY my right nipple

a mystery of science...
jesus gently caress go to a doctor no joke.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 8, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

I got random knee pain today while warming up for squats. Like searing intensely hot knee pain once I hit 185. However I am no bitch and did my working sets anyways.

*hobbles away on broken hips and lower back*

that sounds like how my patella femoral feels. is it a bad burning almost right behind your kneecap? Maybe slightly toward the top part? Foam rolling quads and couch stretching should relieve it if it keeps hurting, helps me a bit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I did a few jerks on Tuesday and my elbows hurt with 50 so I immediately stopped because working through pain is net negative for gains in the long run.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

sassassin posted:

I did a few jerks on Tuesday and my elbows hurt with 50 so I immediately stopped because working through pain is net negative for gains in the long run.

50 guys is a lot of guys and eventually it's just cardio anyways

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

TenementFunster posted:

wicking shirts are always the worst. all my favorite gym shirts have around 25% cotton in them at least, but I sweat less than average

I sweat a lot more than average. You know those rags with cleaner they have sitting around? Yeah, those are for me.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

50 guys is a lot of guys and eventually it's just cardio anyways

You're not doing them right

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Khorne posted:

I read a poo poo ton of actual research, case studies, etc, and I also got this stuff approved by 2 cardiologists and my thoracic surgeon. It was a big decision. And the first week or two sucked because my heart rate would borderline max at times. If that didn't improve I would have quit lifting really quick. Since then, it has been all good pretty much.

I was a cardiology nurse for a long time and when I read "artificial valve" and "stenosis" and your heart rate, I went :aaaaa: Glad to hear your docs gave you the go ahead and you're going for it, though. For christ's sake don't get your heart rate so high though, fool! I've seen tons of patients who just go full-sedentary-mode when they have a valve replacement/stents/what have you and those are the ones that do crappy post-op, so you're definitely staying ahead of the curve!

Also, all OHP last night with some lateral and rear delt stuff. Hurts so good. Still unable to lure 'roid bros into the garage despite leaving a subtle trail of creatine and PWO. May need to start working out in nothing but leather chaps.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Workout I did today

Yes my foot hit the floor at least once every set, so I did all the extras. Also I'm short so I did a 20" box.

Time: 53:05:99

Left leg: not gonna be alright for a while.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

that sounds like how my patella femoral feels. is it a bad burning almost right behind your kneecap? Maybe slightly toward the top part? Foam rolling quads and couch stretching should relieve it if it keeps hurting, helps me a bit.

Was more like the insertion into the knee on the left side, right above the VMO. Literally never had pain there before. Went away immediately after I stopped squatting so probably just my A+++ mobility in action again.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Sweet WOD. Real awesome. So swole.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Workout I did today

Yes my foot hit the floor at least once every set, so I did all the extras. Also I'm short so I did a 20" box.

Time: 53:05:99

Left leg: not gonna be alright for a while.

Is it called the I'm a loving Idiot (IaFI)?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hey knee problem fellows

I busted my knee, snabbed the MCL and had to do surgery... The deceptive thing was it didn't really hurt all that much but the doc said it was realll busted up and lifting on that busted knee was fully retarded. So I had the surgery but the knee never fully recovered. It's at like 90% or something and still feels weird if I put it under pressure

If you got knee problems, like recurring ones, please see a medicine man

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Wait I just read it closer. Left leg only? Like, you deadlift with your right leg not touching the ground? Lmao crossfit poo poo is so loving dumb

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Is it called the I'm a loving Idiot (IaFI)?

It's called "this dude has one loving leg 'cuz the other was blown off and he's still more ripped than any of us, so try his one-legged workout one time."

E: this dude from last year (and yes, he did the listed workout without his prosthesis)

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 8, 2016

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

My guess is that he is on permanent disability from the government and has a lot more time to work out than everyone in this thread.

Also I have both of my legs, so I'm going to use them both because I realize the chances of getting hurt by only using one leg is astronomically higher than concentrating on my form and doing the lift properly.

WODs are loving dumb.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Obviously that guy's trying to trick other people into losing a leg.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

It's called "this dude has one loving leg 'cuz the other was blown off and he's still more ripped than any of us, so try his one-legged workout one time."

E: this dude from last year (and yes, he did the listed workout without his prosthesis)

Congrats on being tricked into temporarily crippling yourself.

At least I do it willingly

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if i lose a leg does my muscle mass auto migrate to my other leg or does that need roids

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Would the amputation count as achieving a weight loss goal? Asking for a friend.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Congrats on being tricked into temporarily crippling yourself.

At least I do it willingly

... I willingly did it too?

I also have to help my roommate move our tonight. We live on the second floor, and he's a drummer. This'll be fun.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
only if its a really fat leg

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm totally going to do that one-legged wad thing just as soon as I lose all sense of judgement and reason to live.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I really having trouble carrying my tree trunk legs around when running now, gently caress I used to smash my route around 10-15kg a go now I am struggling

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

... I willingly did it too?

I also have to help my roommate move our tonight. We live on the second floor, and he's a drummer. This'll be fun.

How will you beat the Cobra Kai with one leg? Seems pretty short sighted.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm totally going to do that one-legged wad thing just as soon as I lose all sense of judgement and reason to live.

I lost all that on ... May 13, 2013.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

BoonyPC posted:

I really having trouble carrying my tree trunk legs around when running now, gently caress I used to smash my route around 10-15kg a go now I am struggling

What the gently caress does this even mean

This thread is full of retard poo poo today wtf

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean

This thread is full of retard poo poo today wtf

I've put on some weight and cant loving run for poo poo in comparison to past efforts.

If you think its just this thread that is retarded I have news for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Acelerion posted:

Same garage buddy, same. Run inside between sets to warm back up a little. Alternativly, close the garage door and burn some hydrocarbons

I actually just go inside between sets and sit on the couch like a real champ :shrug:

The feeling of that bar when its below freezing tho...