Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Alexa also has passive Skell bonuses so she's situationally the best ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alexia is alright, but my best friends remain Irina, Elma, and Hector Birtwhistle, world's greatest hero, leader, soldier, and mind.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

chumbler posted:

Hector Birtwhistle, world's greatest hero, leader, soldier, and mind.

Yes this is correct

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I made team :roboluv: with me, Alexa, and Lin. Our fourth was cycling, but when I had no pressing need, it was generally whichever of Irina, the Murderess, Elma, or Celica I already had in the party or was closest to.

HB was cool and good too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

Plus I love games where there's enormous monsters. I think they could have gone even further with it but there's something weirdly terrifying to me about creatures so big you can only stand level with their toe and so few games do it.

Yeah, the game scaled up and down rather well. The first trek to the base feels a bit long, it's possible to wander off-track and poke around a bit. Then you get the nav system and not only does it make getting around easier, but it gives a sense of geography that makes the place feel smaller. Then you get the Skell and large obstacles you had to find a way around can just be stepped over, different monsters will aggro because they see you as something worth eating, et cetera, and finally flight just blows the whole thing wide open.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I guess I won't be making Alexa's skell since it appears the game has no non-hellish grinds for affinity until you actually beat the game. It'd be nice if a bunch of potentially cool character interactions didn't take a ridiculous amount of grinding for each character.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Affinity builds up at a reasonable pace through the mission board stuff. Any turn-ins you make for that give a solid boost with all the people in your active party, and I just let affinity build up in the background as I did other side stuff.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are you using anti mech and backstab weapons for chapter 10? The situation you're describing seems a little off. I beat that one with 3 30 skells and the 20 and while below the bosses level with pretty much no problem. You flat out don't need a level 50 skell for any portion of the main game. If you want to cheat you can also use augments, but they're really not necessary for anything except the super bosses and infinite overdrive builds. Also, you don't need the flight module.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also just using them in your party while doing arbitrary other things for a little bit tends to up the affinity a fair amount.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Games been out for one year now. I've put close to 200 hours into it. I've explored every little corner of each of the continents. That's probably been my favorite part of the game. I like the affinity missions and the missions you get from the alien species as well. I still think the biggest flaws are having a silent protagonist and the barely comprehensible main plot line. Fortunately there's so much else in the game that those can be overlooked. They can tone down all the numbers and equipment. I don't even look at the elemental resistances of armor, just the overall defense rating and what perks it has. The inventory system takes me back to Mass Effect 1, which isn't really a good thing. Lots of room for improvement there. Hopefully if they do another game for the Switch or whatever Nintendo's new thing is called, they can combine the strengths of Xenoblade Chronicles and XCX, and remove more of the flaws. I'd love to see a well defined character like Shulk lead the story, instead of a voiceless shell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jimmybob posted:

Games been out for one year now. I've put close to 200 hours into it. I've explored every little corner of each of the continents. That's probably been my favorite part of the game. I like the affinity missions and the missions you get from the alien species as well. I still think the biggest flaws are having a silent protagonist and the barely comprehensible main plot line. Fortunately there's so much else in the game that those can be overlooked. They can tone down all the numbers and equipment. I don't even look at the elemental resistances of armor, just the overall defense rating and what perks it has. The inventory system takes me back to Mass Effect 1, which isn't really a good thing. Lots of room for improvement there. Hopefully if they do another game for the Switch or whatever Nintendo's new thing is called, they can combine the strengths of Xenoblade Chronicles and XCX, and remove more of the flaws. I'd love to see a well defined character like Shulk lead the story, instead of a voiceless shell.

If they make a XC for the Switch they need to fully embrace multiplayer. That there was fully functional co-op for the world tyrants was a massive tease and if you could've joined friends in their games it'd have been amazing regardless of how much it would mess with the game's balance. Limit your friends' use of skells/flight based on the host's progress or maybe even do some sort of level sync thing if need be, but being able to actually play with others would give a hell of a lot more replay value to the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I guess I won't be making Alexa's skell since it appears the game has no non-hellish grinds for affinity until you actually beat the game. It'd be nice if a bunch of potentially cool character interactions didn't take a ridiculous amount of grinding for each character.

Just have her in your party for a bit and do some quests, I never had a problem with my affinity being too low to pick up quests apart from people I never ever used. Like Doug.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jimmybob posted:

I cared about elemental resistances precisely once in the entire game, and that was for killing that Duogill Tyrant in Primordia way earlier than normal by stacking electrical resist equipment and soloing it.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Playing the first Chronicles for the first time and boy am I glad they have the Japanese voices. I'm only now heading to colony 6 and I couldn't stand the voices. I never really had a problem with English accents but it was getting super grating.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

Playing the first Chronicles for the first time and boy am I glad they have the Japanese voices. I'm only now heading to colony 6 and I couldn't stand the voices. I never really had a problem with English accents but it was getting super grating.

:whitewater:

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Sorry is that an uncommon opinion? I like everything else fwiw

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SylvainMustach posted:

:stare:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SylvainMustach posted:

Sorry is that an uncommon opinion? I like everything else fwiw

A lot of people loved the dub, if only because it didn't use the same five voice actors that dub literally every piece of Japanese media released in NA.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah the eng dub is easily a positive for most.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Ah well...

If it's the biggest complaint I have then I guess it's alright.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm not really feeling this post...
Like a Reynbow without Reyn.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

A lot of people loved the dub, if only because it didn't use the same five voice actors that dub literally every piece of Japanese media released in NA.

Ignoring that it was quite good (which it was), this was also part of it. There are a handful of VAs in the US that do like some absurdly huge percentage of dubs. They aren't bad (heck, several of them are quite good most of the time), but hearing the same voices in tons of games is really loving strange and bad.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Let's not lose our heads, though!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SylvainMustach posted:

I loved it because it's nice hearing people like me (even if they're from the south) in a game instead of a ceaseless parade of Americans.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I guess I should mention that I've only been playing games with any sort of voice acting for like two or three years and haven't heard the same group of voice actors used again and again. I can see why it would be a refreshing change.

Maybe I'll switch back when I get more party members.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hello, is this thing on?

Am I all alone?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SylvainMustach posted:

I guess I should mention that I've only been playing games with any sort of voice acting for like two or three years and haven't heard the same group of voice actors used again and again. I can see why it would be a refreshing change.

Maybe I'll switch back when I get more party members.

Well more than anything flipping to the Japanese dubs is confusing since, y'know, you can't understand it and all. Unless you can, I guess.

I'd highly encourage you to keep the English VA on because all the characters give truly great performances.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Louisgod posted:

Well more than anything flipping to the Japanese dubs is confusing since, y'know, you can't understand it and all. Unless you can, I guess.

I'd highly encourage you to keep the English VA on because all the characters give truly great performances.

are you really feeling it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tatsuta Age posted:

are you really feeling it

you're god drat loving right I am

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'll cave. Small price to pay. And I'm very early in so maybe it'll grow on me.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
As with all leaks, take with a grain of salt but this was said about the XCX Switch port.
code:
 Xenoblade Chronicles X Aftermath (StreetPass, Amiibo Support, New Post Game Missions and Graphic/Stability Increase) 
Post game missions doesn't really sound like story missions so maybe we will still be waiting for a conclusion to the story.
I still have love for XCX, even not playing it for a year. Tokyo mirage sessions came really close, but XCX is still #1 WiiU game for me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Xcx at a resolution that lets you read text sounds dope

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If they reworked mech combat not to be absolutely dire and made the party interface work like Xenoblade's I'd give a Switch port another shot. If the game is still going to crash and burn at the 40 hour mark though... I don't wanna get hurt again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's not so much that mech combat is in need of a rework, it's the way late game is balanced that needs to be looked at. Too much emphasis on one-shot weapons thanks to how powerful everything gets past a certain level, and the tools to counteract that power normally (anti spike and element augs, etc) are waaay too tedious to farm for a lot of people.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
If they change the flight mechanics so that even jumping with the flight module on no longer forces the music to reset and change to the lovely flight music (your opinion may vary), then it'll be worth it. For some reason the flight mechanics ruined the game for me. I think it was the music problem, and how it made the world look tiny and dull, like looking at an old Myst-style map or something. It just pulled the curtain back too much and wrecked some of the mystique of the game world.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If they pack in the first Xenoblade as a freebie somehow then I'll bite, otherwise XBX is not a game worth double dipping on, even with additional end game content.

I'm working on my third time through Xenoblade and it's simply a stellar game and begs for an HD release, especially on Switch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's not so much that mech combat is in need of a rework, it's the way late game is balanced that needs to be looked at. Too much emphasis on one-shot weapons thanks to how powerful everything gets past a certain level, and the tools to counteract that power normally (anti spike and element augs, etc) are waaay too tedious to farm for a lot of people.

That's true that the game's combat kinda falls apart in the late game, but the mech combat is in general also just a step back from the ground combat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm glad the Switch is shaping up to have a rich library of Wii U games.

But then looking at how many PS4 games are either remasters of PS3 titles or were simultaneous PS3/PS4 releases it's not too bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

If they change the flight mechanics so that even jumping with the flight module on no longer forces the music to reset and change to the lovely flight music (your opinion may vary), then it'll be worth it. For some reason the flight mechanics ruined the game for me. I think it was the music problem, and how it made the world look tiny and dull, like looking at an old Myst-style map or something. It just pulled the curtain back too much and wrecked some of the mystique of the game world.

I felt exactly the opposite. The fight mechanics made the game for me because being able to actually fly around and see how everything connected rather than being stuck going from loading area to load area was awesome and something few games offer. It's part of what made the game world work for me. It's the opposite of tiny and dull to me because I can look at something and go "Oh, poo poo, I can go there" instead of "Oh, okay, that looks neat but it's actually a giant invisible wall mountain that I can't actually go to the top of."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The way I played XCX & what IMO is the optimal way to explore, is I went absolutely everywhere I could possibly go on foot before getting the skell and then before getting the flight module. There's a ton of interesting stuff and ways you can get into places you wouldn't expect and they have a really different feel from flying around. That made the jump in power and how you interact with the environment really feel like a big leap in progression and "poo poo getting real", now this huge world I've mastered seems much smaller kinda deal.

• Locked thread