Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Porzingis has worn a T-shirt under his jersey multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lockback posted:

Is there a rule against it? Kirk Hinrich once let a pile of compression sleeves in his jersey play for 8 minutes so I assumed there was no rule against what you wear as long as a ref doesn't call it a problem.

Yeah, that's what I am wondering. I've always assumed that there's a rule against it because you never see it (while it's a staple of NCAA basketball).

edit:

The Wiki entry says you can't wear shirts underneath your jersey in the NBA. But I can't find the actual rule.

https://books.google.fr/books?id=gtNDH_pR990C&pg=PA10 (2nd paragraph)

edit 2:

quote:

Back in the 1980s, Ewing started wearing a T-shirt underneath of his Hoyas jersey for one reason and one reason only—comfort. He used to get cold during games, so he started wearing a T-shirt to keep warm.

"We started playing in these big arenas and it was always cold," he said recently, "especially when you have the ice down [for hockey games]. I was always complaining I was cold. I started wearing one and it became a fashion statement."

However, the NBA didn't buy into his fashion statement. He tried to get the league to allow him to wear a T-shirt underneath his Knicks jersey in 1985, but they wouldn't let him do it. So he thinks it's crazy to see how open they are to it today.

"The funny thing is when I got to the league they told me I couldn't do it," he said, "and now they let everybody do it. It's crazy and times have changed. And the women [T-shirt] jerseys that guys wear now, it's changed."

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2016

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Porzingis is a Literal Halloween Spooky Skeleton so he definitely needs a shirt to retain body heat.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i thought t-shirts under jerseys weren't allowed, wasn't that a thing for Bulls Savior Doug McDermott because he used to always wear his big, baggy t-shirt under his jersey and creighton and presumably in the pool

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 9, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

Nothing would make me happier.

Why? Melo's been good as of late I thought

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why? Melo's been good as of late I thought

He has his moments but he's holding the team back in the grand scheme of things. He's a black hole on offense. He's not making anyone better. The Knicks will never win a championship with him, so the sooner they lose him and spend that cap space elsewhere (to build around KP hopefully), the better. If we can get something in return for him, instead of him walking when his contract is up, I'm all for it.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Melo is a probably part of the reason why Porzingis is as successful as he is right now, though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNp_Bs4gsFL/

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, that's what I am wondering. I've always assumed that there's a rule against it because you never see it (while it's a staple of NCAA basketball).

edit:

The Wiki entry says you can't wear shirts underneath your jersey in the NBA. But I can't find the actual rule.

edit 2:

I think it's allowed on a case by case basis, you have to apply to the league for an exception. Howard, Porzingis, etc have it. For some reason centers like having the shirt underneath more?

Speaking of shirt conspiracy theories, I watched the Cavs play in sleeved jerseys the other day and it looked to me that while everyone else had tight sleeves, Lebron got one with loose sleeves. Since there was that high profile incident where he ripped the sleeves of his jersey to give him more room, I wonder if he's getting custom made shirt jerseys with bigger sleeves. Or maybe the league's offering two styles.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot and he's wearing a few sizes up for the sake of the sleeves. Rest of the jersey looked normal though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The theory is that shirts are worn because it absorbs the sweat obviously, which means the floor is less wet when you hit the floor and wet floors are probably the biggest worry during the court.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
probably the weirdest bonus in an NBA contract, but it makes sense

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/807312263690395648

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

What's up with Mario Hezonja? I remember last year people were complaining about Skiles not giving him any minutes but it sounds like he hasn't been very good this year.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jack's Flow posted:

I've been wondering about that: why is he allowed to wear shirts? It's definitely not some sort of compression thing.

It's a Ewing tribute duh

eidt

Jack's Flow posted:

edit:

edit 2:

yeah this

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad the drought that is no Thunder games is over

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I'm glad we're finally talking about KP's dang t-shirt. It's unsightly and it needs to go. His jersey always seems to get completely untucked after about a minute of running around, too, not sure what that's all about

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Phil Jackson should really just retire.

The comments basically said what every Knicks fan has veen sayin for years, basically "Pass the loving ball, Melo"

But he didn't even say the f word!

I think that Cavs game was a decent demonstration of how quick he falls back into terrible habits and is kind of an overall liability.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What if he has a bunch of bright red acne on his shoulders and the spots would make him play with less confidence :[

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Anthony Davis wears the undershirt a lot.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The Knicks are fighting for the 6-8th seed, if they didn't have Melo they are no way a playoff team. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is debatable I guess, but for now I'd have thought that New York fans would just be happy to have a team that will win some games this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sounds like the NYPD is close to arresting Matt Barnes...good luck getting an extradition from California :smug:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh man, the Knicks are playing the Kings tonight. You think some bounty hunter will be hiding on the Knicks bench?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
For a guy who has been labeled by the press in a negative manner, Cousins seems to always says the right things.
http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4740/kings-cousins-for-one-doesnt-expect-to-be-dealt

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the Knicks winning games is a cool thing, but I'd rather they try and build a team around Porzingis than try and get something out of the last years of Melo. this draft is pretty deep, deep enough that I think they can find someone who can play at 10-12

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
no shirts under the jersey? but it's rubbing my nipples raw!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Brolander posted:

no shirts under the jersey? but it's rubbing my nipples raw!

the one thing Kinesio Tape (R)(TM) is actually good for

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What does kinesiotape actually do

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

NickRoweFillea posted:

Makes the company a lot of money

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr.Radical posted:

Did anyone post this yet? It's Larry Bird's birthday I guess, and they put together a reel. It's basically just 9 and a half minutes of Larry Bird telling everyone to gently caress off.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/08/nbas-new-larry-bird-highlight-video-will-blow-your-mind/

1987 Bird/McHale. Greatest scoring duo until last year when Curry/Klay took that title.

:lol:

Jack's Flow posted:

One day after Carmelo Anthony was again caught in the crossfire of Phil Jackson’s provocative comments, Anthony took to social media Thursday to offer seemingly coded messages in response.

Jackson, the Knicks’ president, made some critical comments about Anthony’s play in an interview with CBS Sports Network on Wednesday, and that did not seem to sit well with Anthony.

“EGO is the only requirement to destroy any relationship,” Anthony wrote on Twitter, along with a picture of himself. “So, be a BiGGER person, skip the “E” and let it “GO.”

:rip: 2017 Knicks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

attackmole posted:

Speaking of shirt conspiracy theories, I watched the Cavs play in sleeved jerseys the other day and it looked to me that while everyone else had tight sleeves, Lebron got one with loose sleeves. Since there was that high profile incident where he ripped the sleeves of his jersey to give him more room, I wonder if he's getting custom made shirt jerseys with bigger sleeves. Or maybe the league's offering two styles.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot and he's wearing a few sizes up for the sake of the sleeves. Rest of the jersey looked normal though.

The idea of the league clandestinely offering the stars a competitive advantage of looser sleeves is appealing.

I'd probably prefer seeing LBJ and other players rip new and ugly jerseys each game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSvtCkCvyUI

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh man, the Knicks are playing the Kings tonight. You think some bounty hunter will be hiding on the Knicks bench?

Maybe that Dog guy can arrest Barnes. That should improve Kings/Knicks ratings for one night.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sleeves should be banned. Sleeved jerseys are even worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kristaps needs sleeves

Grandfather him in like Craig mactavish

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

can't let phil jackson outdo him

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/cavs/status/807386089203740672

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Who's the white guy with the long beard?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Birdman?

e: Yeah Birdmans the only white guy on the team with a beard.

I think Kyrie had that outfit in his closet

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's like an external ligament. My wife used some when she Had her shoulder scoped last summer.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Sam Dekker committed homicide on Enes

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Will someone on here who owns an Oculus or the Samsung VR thing check out the NBA VR highlight thing and report back.

http://www.nba.com/vr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Sam Dekker committed homicide on Enes

It was ordered by Erdogan

• Locked thread