Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeyspank
Feb 22, 2001

Voila du boudin
There are shitholes everywhere. You only think NJ is uniquely lovely if you've never traveled anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

monkeyspank posted:

There are shitholes everywhere. You only think NJ is uniquely lovely if you've never traveled anywhere.

I've traveled a lot, including most states. It's status as an entire state of bedroom community for both Philly and NYC with some lovely beaches that require you to take ladders down to them is fairly unique.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jersey is cool in my book, especially the fine folks who manned the bar at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport who allowed my coworker and I to get plastered well after last call when our flight home was cancelled

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Real Name Grover posted:

Jersey is cool in my book, especially the fine folks who manned the bar at the Holiday Inn Newark Airport who allowed my coworker and I to get plastered well after last call when our flight home was cancelled

Newark Airport Holiday Inn has gotta be super high on the "most depressing places to get drunk" list.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Newark Airport Holiday Inn has gotta be super high on the "most depressing places to get drunk" list.

I'd say any place that is an actual bar is probably way above a LOT of other places as far as "most depressing places to get drunk." Just because there are so many places where being drunk would suggest that you have fallen into severe, degenerate alcoholism, or else you're experiencing an emotional pain so unbearably intense that sobriety is simply not an option. Being drunk at the bar of a major American hotel chain in the wee hours of the morning seems way more compatible with a desire to live than, say, being drunk at the post office at 10am on a Tuesday morning.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thermos H Christ posted:

Being drunk at the bar of a major American hotel chain in the wee hours of the morning seems way more compatible with a desire to live than, say, being drunk at the post office at 10am on a Tuesday morning.

Don't doxx me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'd say any place that is an actual bar is probably way above a LOT of other places as far as "most depressing places to get drunk." Just because there are so many places where being drunk would suggest that you have fallen into severe, degenerate alcoholism, or else you're experiencing an emotional pain so unbearably intense that sobriety is simply not an option. Being drunk at the bar of a major American hotel chain in the wee hours of the morning seems way more compatible with a desire to live than, say, being drunk at the post office at 10am on a Tuesday morning.

Agreed.

The most depressing drunks I've encountered in EMS were the ones that bought giant bottles of vanilla extract at Walmart because they can get it with food stamps.

No fouler smell than that person incontinent, vomiting and unconscious. You'll never want vanilla again.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Is this imitation vanilla? Because I'll be damned if people are spending my tax dollars to drink the real thing

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Better there than Terminal A of the actual airport, believe me

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Jersey is like the arm pit of America and going to school at WVU with roughly 4k Rutgers rejects has made me loving hate the state with a burning passion. Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

But enough about their basketball team...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

get ready for the randy shannon experience, mother fuckers :radcat:

quote:

Florida: Jim McElwain has announced linebackers coach Randy Shannon will shift to defensive coordinator and quality control assistant Mark DeBastiani will handle linebackers for the Gators’ Jan. 2 Outback Bowl against Iowa. McElwain added that he doesn’t expect to name a permanent defensive coordinator until after their bowl game.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

DJExile posted:

get ready for the randy shannon experience, mother fuckers :radcat:

Poor Randy Shannon has to audition for the permanent DC job.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jimbo got paid

quote:

Florida State has extended head coach Jimbo Fisher through the 2024 season, the ‘Noles have announced, with “options for additional years.” Steve Berkowitz of USA Today points out that “including annual ‘contract completion benefit,’ Jimbo Fisher’s new basic pay with FSU will be $5.75 million in each year of his 8-year deal,” and that is a half million dollars ore than he was getting in 2016, and $400,000 more than he was set to earn in 2017.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
N: Jim Tressel's show-cause is ending.

V:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9kJJ9yhXNc

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DJExile posted:

Jimbo got paid

ATV and Seadoo dealerships in Tally doing much rejoicing tonight

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile posted:

Jimbo got paid

Good. Here's to 8 more years of dominating the Gators and Hurricanes. :yaycloud:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DJExile posted:

Jimbo got paid

His next two games are against Michigan and Alabama. Poor guy will need the cash for comfort food. I see him as a Red Lobster guy.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I have a hard time believing that Tressel wouldn't be interested in coaching again.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Komet posted:

I have a hard time believing that Tressel wouldn't be interested in coaching again.

I heard the Michigan job might be opening

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Jersey is like the arm pit of America and going to school at WVU with roughly 4k Rutgers rejects has made me loving hate the state with a burning passion.

Amen to this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLCoolJD posted:

His next two games are against Michigan and Alabama. Poor guy will need the cash for comfort food. I see him as a Red Lobster guy.

Maybe we can steal one. :smith:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Uf is running cover 2 for the entire bowl game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

He's 64 and is literally the president of an entire university

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

YSU president isn't a bad gig

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Maybe, but even a bottom rung coach is paid more than most university presidents.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dilber posted:

Uf is running cover 2 for the entire bowl game.

Iowa's best wide receiver is a 5'7" walk on I'm not sure the coverage really matters (also lots of good college defenses have run the same basic coverage scheme on every down)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

He never adjusts. Ever. Go watch the canes lsu game that basically murdered our program.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Iowa's best wide receiver is a 5'7" walk on I'm not sure the coverage really matters (also lots of good college defenses have run the same basic coverage scheme on every down)

Remember when OU ran nearly exclusively cover 2 w Brandon Everage and Reggie McNeal and TAMU skullfucked them to death.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LeeMajors posted:

Remember when OU ran nearly exclusively cover 2 w Brandon Everage and Reggie McNeal and TAMU skullfucked them to death.

I still remember 77-0 too :smug:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

So nothing changed?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

That Works posted:

I still remember 77-0 too :smug:

I was too young so I don't :smug:

also my fav gif from the cotton bowl

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

Is there some other New Jersey because the only one I've ever seen is the lovely one that's got Newark, Jersey City, and Trenton.

Yes. The highways are routed through the poor areas and don't touch the rich ones. NJ is like a sci fi dystopia with a gini of 70 billion. Princeton is the rule in NJ, not Trenton.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

New Jersey is like the arm pit of America and going to school at WVU with roughly 4k Rutgers rejects has made me loving hate the state with a burning passion. Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

I spent a week over the summer in West Virginia (panhandle) and desperately want the entire place razed. I spent every second wanting to go back to civilization.

Pretty much every program that isn't a traditional power, that's how it is unless you luck into a great coach.

Thoguh posted:

But enough about their basketball team...

They're already at more wins than that due to having a horrible schedule. They have an average coach now instead of the worst in America, which helps a lot.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PrinceRandom posted:

I was too young so I don't :smug:

also my fav gif from the cotton bowl

I love that gif.

This one is great because of how outdated the reference is, even the Chapelle's Show version.
https://i.imgur.com/l4ApjKy.gifv

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 20, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Randy Shannon is a very good defensive coordinator as long as your defense is arguably one of the most stacked in the history of the game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Iowa has run like 4 defensive plays total for almost two decades and mostly had really good defenses

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Better there than Terminal A of the actual airport, believe me

And better there than the cockpit of the plane, believe me

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So nothing changed?

If they were in the AAC or ACC they could prolly win 9-10 games every so often.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

Iowa has run like 4 defensive plays total for almost two decades and mostly had really good defenses

Basically the same for Penn State 2005-2011. Penn State's defense had some really, really talented linebackers and linemen in those years, but the success of the defense was predicated primarily on discipline, especially in the secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LeeMajors posted:

No fouler smell than that person incontinent, vomiting and unconscious.

But enough about New Jersey

• Locked thread