Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Put me in the Pudding is faking it camp. I think this because, in her first appearance, she is clearly uncomfortable with Big Mom just eating a bunch of people. Why would she care if she was evil?

Is this the last One Piece (and Jump issue) of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Zoro would have ripped off his hands by now and then chewed off one of his feet for good measure. She's really not being a team player, here.

Captain's orders.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

I really hope this translator is never allowed to translate again, the excessive cursing is completely out of character.

It doesn't fit One Piece at all and really stands out. Mangastream in particular has had this problem off and on for awhile now.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Put me in the Pudding is faking it camp. I think this because, in her first appearance, she is clearly uncomfortable with Big Mom just eating a bunch of people. Why would she care if she was evil?

Is this the last One Piece (and Jump issue) of the year?

Wasn't Big Mom just eating some food she enchanted?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Haha what the hell, Year of Sanji my rear end. At least I'm sure this is what breaks him, making him wait until the marriage and then going berserk at the worst time

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There's been a theme this arc of losing body parts.

I wonder if Luffy's going to be the one to have an eyepatch by the end of this.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Maybe it was gross to watch.

Pudding playing a double (triple?) game, and being super secretly good is plausible, but also plausible is that things are simply what they appear at this point. Even if they are, I imagine Sanji's going to go Full Chivalry to redeem a true monster, rather than him snapping and finally beating up a woman.

Pedro vs. Tamago was fantastic.

GonSmithe posted:

I really hope this translator is never allowed to translate again, the excessive cursing is completely out of character.
You loving twat!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thinking about it a bit more, I found something odd.

Big Mom's modus operandi is to expand her power base via marriage-alliances with any powerful or influential figure she wants to make a deal with.

If she's really choosing to Red Wedding the poo poo out of the Vinsmokes, that's very quickly going to ruin prospects with any other potential alliances in the future once they realize an invitation to marriage is no guarantee whatsoever of being safe from Big Mom or being considered an ally.

Either she thinks she will have enough power to fulfill all her goals once she has her hand on the Germa 66 tech, or killing them during the wedding doesn't make sense.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm figuring the logic is the Vinsmoke family isn't going to just let her crew use the cloning vats and their side of the deal is the part where they can supply large amounts of troops that are unthinking and absolutely loyal. With them out of the picture she will have full access to them and at that point it would tip the Emperor balance in her favor and future alliances on any terms other than her own will no longer be a consideration.

Also that last panel makes me think that a Vinsoke family redemption is coming. They are suddenly the victims just like Sanji.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 22, 2016

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Big Mom's modus operandi is to expand her power base via marriage-alliances with any powerful or influential figure she wants to make a deal with.

If she's really choosing to Red Wedding the poo poo out of the Vinsmokes, that's very quickly going to ruin prospects with any other potential alliances in the future once they realize an invitation to marriage is no guarantee whatsoever of being safe from Big Mom or being considered an ally.

Either she thinks she will have enough power to fulfill all her goals once she has her hand on the Germa 66 tech, or killing them during the wedding doesn't make sense.

Well how would anyone even know? This isn't exactly something being announced in the newspapers. Even though they both basically have kingdoms, this is still essentially a backroom deal between two groups of criminals. Germa 66 in particular probably doesn't want anyone to know before they have to, as they know they'll be an enemy of the World Government when it goes public, and they need to be fully allied with Big Mom before that happens. And they're habitually secretive anyway, with a lot of people doubting their existence.

As far as anyone outside of Totto Land will know, the semi-legendary Germa 66 would just vanish into true legend.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

Haha what the hell, Year of Sanji my rear end. At least I'm sure this is what breaks him, making him wait until the marriage and then going berserk at the worst time

To quote a comment I read somewhere, it is the Year of Sanji, but it's also 2016...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Eiba posted:

Well how would anyone even know? This isn't exactly something being announced in the newspapers. Even though they both basically have kingdoms, this is still essentially a backroom deal between two groups of criminals. Germa 66 in particular probably doesn't want anyone to know before they have to, as they know they'll be an enemy of the World Government when it goes public, and they need to be fully allied with Big Mom before that happens. And they're habitually secretive anyway, with a lot of people doubting their existence.

As far as anyone outside of Totto Land will know, the semi-legendary Germa 66 would just vanish into true legend.

Good point. I didn't consider that this was overall a very secretive deal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Radish posted:

I'm figuring the logic is the Vinsmoke family isn't going to just let her crew use the cloning vats and their side of the deal is the part where they can supply large amounts of troops that are unthinking and absolutely loyal. With them out of the picture she will have full access to them and at that point it would tip the Emperor balance in her favor and future alliances on any terms other than her own will no longer be a consideration.

I dunno, I have a tough time believing that this is the single most important alliance that she, one of the Four Emperors, has ever made. This feels more like one of those lies that's plausible so long as you don't look at it too hard.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oda was misquoted, he said it was the Year of Sanji Suffering.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
As I predicted. Pudding is actually made of pudding.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm ready for a Red Wedding

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

Onmi posted:

Oda was misquoted, he said it was the Year of Sanji Suffering.

Sounds about right.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Uldor posted:

So what are the odds that Tamago getting cut in half will reveal some ridiculous fruit power? No way he's just dead...

I feel like there's a pun somewhere with a tiger-man poaching an egg-man...

e: Predicting now that one of Big Mom's top subordinates is a walrus-man, to finish out the Walrus and the Carpenter/I am the Walrus double-pun.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
maybe puddings just a bad person that likes to gently caress with people. its a childrens manga yall overthinking this a bit too much.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

frajaq posted:

The Year of Sanji (Getting poo poo On)! :shepface:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Pureauthor posted:

Here's a third option: Pudding is still betraying Big Mom in the end, but covertly as a deep mole to piss off Judge and use her position as Big Mom's daughter to ruin the brand name, so to speak.

She's throwing a wrench in the gears from the inside to get the marriage called off and start a fight between Big Mom and Germa 66 so Sanji and the Straw Hats can escape in the confusion. She's going to end up being a triple agent and marry Sanji after this Whole Cake arc is over.

Big Mom, because she's monstrously strong, annihilates Germa 66 and recaptures the Straw Hats, also pissed off at Pudding and is about to execute her for treason.

Luffy defiantly goes to the roulette wheel, spins it, lands on the eye. He demands his eye for Pudding's life, in honor of Pedro who dies at some point in this arc, then Big Mom and Luffy fight. That's my take on it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 22, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

As I predicted. Pudding is actually made of pudding.

But what kind?

anime was right posted:

maybe puddings just a bad person that likes to gently caress with people. its a childrens manga yall overthinking this a bit too much.

Honestly hoping this is what's up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

year of sanji just meant that sanji was the focus of one piece, not that he was gonna have a great time and live the good life

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

anime was right posted:

maybe she's named pudding because she's made out of pudding

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I hope no one's forgotten about Jimbe

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh yeah: "i'd rather lose a hand or two than die in a place like this"

big mom has a roulette where she lets people go for losing a limb.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also bepo having a tragic backstory and handled in this manner absolutely rules.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

I hope no one's forgotten about Jimbe

Or Pekoms, who by this point is a pile of shark turds.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just got to this page in the manga. Water 7 is amazing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pureauthor posted:

I can't believe Baron Tamago has an attack called Legg Benedict.

I can't believe that he's actually an egg man.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just gonna put these two things right next to each other:

Pudding's third eye is out and now she's gone all evil.
This chapter dedicated a lot of page space to people losing eyes.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mabels big day posted:

I just got to this page in the manga. Water 7 is amazing.

when you get to lu lu la la lu... look it up in the anime

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

oh yeah: "i'd rather lose a hand or two than die in a place like this"

big mom has a roulette where she lets people go for losing a limb.

HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I hope luffy gets a hook

e: wait poo poo, crocodile had a hook already. and zeff had the peg leg

what's another cool pirate fake limb

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

I hope luffy gets a hook

e: wait poo poo, crocodile had a hook already. and zeff had the peg leg

what's another cool pirate fake limb
The only traditional pirate disfigurement we haven't seen in the series yet is an eye patch.

Plenty of people who lost an eye, but no patches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

zoro should have had an eyepatch

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Pudding isn't actually evil. She's playing up an act and explaining the entire plan to expose Big Mom's assassination attempt before it happens, then lets Reiju escape on purpose so they can gently caress it all up before Big Mom can kill them. It's why she's crying after telling Luffy what she planned. Also keep in mind she's got that creepy goo monster keeping an eye on her so she can't just say it straight to Reiju, she has to play the bit.

Advice posted:

I'm so loving glad. I have no idea besides HOT GIRL why everybody was so enamored with Pudding. This poo poo sounds like Monet all over again. It's just a girl from an arc, she was never going to join the crew, and frankly this heel turn was only not obvious because Oda cleverly painted it as too obvious to be true. Which it then, was. Well played.
because her being actually evil would be the lamest twist at this point. One Piece has had generally much better storytelling than that, and has already done the "good person is ACTUALLY EVIL! DA DUMMMMM!" thing

anime was right posted:

its a childrens manga yall overthinking this a bit too much.
JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF AND ENJOY IT SHEESH

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

zoro should have had an eyepatch

You can't use a sharingan through an eyepatch, silly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Captain Invictus posted:

JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF AND ENJOY IT SHEESH

my argument is i dont think oda is going to do something that complex, storytelling wise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's not complex and actually really obvious because monologuing is always a bad idea

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Pudding is evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

anime was right posted:

my argument is i dont think oda is going to do something that complex, storytelling wise.
There are plenty enough hints so far that point towards it going the way a lot of people are expecting it to. But it could, unfortunately, also be played straight, which I feel would be one of the bigger disappointments in One Piece overall

Countblanc posted:

Pudding is evil.
mlyp