Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Scudworth posted:

I dated a trust fund guy for a while and I only slowly pieced it together that's what his deal was, and somehow the biggest tip off was his Magic card collection despite him never having a job.

You know you can rent out houses to people who can't otherwise afford to buy them?
Did you know houses and the rental income can be part of a trust?

Landlords are generally scumbags so that would fit, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baron Corbyn posted:

There's a difference between not spending your money on frivolous poo poo and refusing to pay for simple stuff like loving hot water when you are a literal millionaire. She's an insane miser hoarding money for no reason, except she isn't because she's a shitbird buying multiple houses in a country with a housing shortage.

She's certainly renting them out. That's how rentals work. Someone owns the property, and someone else pays to live in it!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pick posted:

She's certainly renting them out. That's how rentals work. Someone owns the property, and someone else pays to live in it!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Landlords are generally scumbags so that would fit, yeah.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

She's an insane miser hoarding money for no reason, except she isn't because she's a shitbird buying multiple houses in a country with a housing shortage.

Did you miss the bit where she isn't because it turns out the money wasn't hers at all?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

504 posted:

Did you miss the bit where she isn't because it turns out the money wasn't hers at all?

nah nah, that was a joke

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
eat the rich!

your girlfriend is rich

marry the rich!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol if they're living together yeah it matters if she's actually got money to cover basic poo poo like heat or hot water.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pick posted:

eat the rich!

your girlfriend is rich

marry the rich!

He should definitely not marry the insane miser who would rather force him to live without hot water than spend some of her literal millions on heating a house in a country as dreary as the UK. I actually seriously hope she's letting those houses sit empty than letting them out because if she's forcing her boyfriend, someone she probably cares about to live without basic stuff like hearing, I can't begin to imagine how terribly she treats her tenants.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If he wants hot water he can pay for it, the same way he could choose to pay for it if he didn't have a girlfriend.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OP updated; turns out she is a plant put there by his parents to teach him the value of money. But they actually fell for each other, and now she is giving her fortune to a charity for people without hot water

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

He should definitely not marry the insane miser who would rather force him to live without hot water than spend some of her literal millions on heating a house in a country as dreary as the UK. I actually seriously hope she's letting those houses sit empty than letting them out because if she's forcing her boyfriend, someone she probably cares about to live without basic stuff like hearing, I can't begin to imagine how terribly she treats her tenants.

wow you are super jealous of rich people lol

i mean it's far more likely, like extremely so, that she's a trust fund kid but we can also invent elaborate stories in our head about how she's basically forcing children to live in slums also

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pick posted:

If he wants hot water he can pay for it, the same way he could choose to pay for it if he didn't have a girlfriend.

I'm not defending the guy who invaded his girlfriend's privacy. I'm attacking the crazy hoarder.

boner confessor posted:

I will not rest until this woman and the rest of the rentier class are against the wall where they belong.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 23, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

I will not read

yeah no poo poo bro

let's assume this is true and she's somehow a multimillionaire in her 20's through extreme rent seeking and abuse of the poor. this dude wants to put a ring on basically lady scrooge lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I honestly wanna read the reddit comments there but can find it neither with a google search or with keywords in the r/relationship subforum, which is odd cause even when the op deletes their post it's usually easy to find the threads.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The one person I know with a trust fund uses every loophole she can to tap into it. For example, it will cover educational expenses so she counts daycare as 'educational' thus allowing her (already a SAHM) to have her young kids in daycare 8hrs a day so she can binge watch Dr. Who in peace.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

yeah no poo poo bro

let's assume this is true and she's somehow a multimillionaire in her 20's through extreme rent seeking and abuse of the poor. this dude wants to put a ring on basically lady scrooge lol

Let's assume she's living on a trust. What kind of person sets up a trust to a family member that leaves them with millions of pounds but not enough money to live above subsistence level?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ArbitraryC posted:

I honestly wanna read the reddit comments there but can find it neither with a google search or with keywords in the r/relationship subforum, which is odd cause even when the op deletes their post it's usually easy to find the threads.

PM'd it to you, found it with a full reddit search, the r/relationship search alone didn't see it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Baron Corbyn posted:

Let's assume she's living on a trust. What kind of person sets up a trust to a family member that leaves them with millions of pounds but not enough money to live above subsistence level?

Someone who knows anything about 20 year olds.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

eat (out) the rich!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Scudworth posted:

PM'd it to you, found it with a full reddit search, the r/relationship search alone didn't see it.

thank you friend

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

What kind of person sets up a trust to a family member that leaves them with millions of pounds but not enough money to live above subsistence level?

an intelligent person who doesn't want to gently caress up their child's development? in most countries a person is legally an adult in their late teens somewhere, but the brain doesn't mature until age 25ish. giving millions of monies to a mental child is a terrible idea, because they will most likely squander the money on stupid things. if you're going to bequeath huge sacks of money to your child, putting tight legal restrictions on it and giving them a stipend until they reach some age of maturity is about the best possible way to do it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

an intelligent person who doesn't want to gently caress up their child's development? in most countries a person is legally an adult in their late teens somewhere, but the brain doesn't mature until age 25ish. giving millions of monies to a mental child is a terrible idea, because they will most likely squander the money on stupid things. if you're going to bequeath huge sacks of money to your child, putting tight legal restrictions on it and giving them a stipend until they reach some age of maturity is about the best possible way to do it

There's a difference between handing huge sacks od the money and not handing her enough to be able to afford heating when her and her boyfriend are both working.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

boner confessor posted:

Yes, and that stipend should cover hot water, even in a country as weird about hot water as the UK.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

P-Mack posted:

Yes, and that stipend should cover hot water, even in a country as weird about hot water as the UK.

Even a few hundred bucks a month can make a huge difference in budgeting. It's money you wouldn't have had otherwise and provided you live within your means it can go a long way.

If you and your partner are both working normal jobs and you get a supplemental stipend in addition to your pay you're probably doing something very wrong if you can't afford hot water.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 23, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

P-Mack posted:

It very well could have based on market rate speculations for a single person set up 24 years ago or more.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

There's a difference between handing huge sacks od the money and not handing her enough to be able to afford heating when her and her boyfriend are both working.

you're assuming this based on the word of a guy who literally wants to marry his girlfriend because he assumes she is rich and holding out on him. you're making her a villain in your head because you are jealous of rich people

op is an unreliable narrator. he admitted to invading her privacy and he admitted to wanting to obtain comfort by marrying someone for their (assumed) wealth. op was a poo poo bird and we know that for sure, there's no reason to assume what they say is true when fishing for sympathy about how hard their lot in life is

e: and it's common enough for trusts to not give kids the money to make them have something to work for in life, maybe she's bad at working for a living. in this case nothing would change about their living situation except dude thinks he's found his golden ticket

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 23, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Warbadger posted:

If the stipend is covering nearly all basic living expenses it would be pretty easy to cover the rest through normal income. Even a few hundred bucks a month can make a huge difference in budgeting.

If you and your partner are both working normal jobs and you get a supplemental stipend in addition to your pay you're probably doing something very wrong if you can't afford hot water.

Isn't she working 20 hrs/wk?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

boner confessor posted:

i mean it's far more likely, like extremely so, that she's a trust fund kid but we can also invent elaborate stories in our head about how she's basically forcing children to live in slums also

Rich people are bad

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Don't worry, OP will have plenty of hot water once his girlfriend finds out he's gunning for her loot!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

you're assuming this based on the word of a guy who literally wants to marry his girlfriend because he assumes she is rich and holding out on him. you're making her a villain in your head because you are jealous of rich people

op is an unreliable narrator. he admitted to invading her privacy and he admitted to wanting to obtain comfort by marrying someone for their (assumed) wealth. op was a poo poo bird and we know that for sure, there's no reason to assume what they say is true when fishing for sympathy about how hard their lot in life is

e: and it's common enough for trusts to not give kids the money to make them have something to work for in life, maybe she's bad at working for a living. in this case nothing would change about their living situation except dude thinks he's found his golden ticket

I'm not rich but I have hot water despite being a frivolous 20-something who doesn't know the value of money so, no, not jealous.

The guy works 50 hours a week, even at minimum wage, they should be able to afford heating with her trust money. I don't know why you're so keen to defend someone who would force someone they love to live without heating and hot water. I've stretched my budget to cover heating bills for roommates without making a big deal about it and I don't love them nor am I a millionaire.

And yes, like any other post in this topic, we can say none of this happened and it's all bullshit but then there's no point in even talking about them.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I was in a relatable situation, as far as the guy and the rich girl. She wasn't on the level of a multi-millionaire girlfriend, but compared to what I had she might as well have been.

Transport me back to age 24 when poo poo was Real Bad and working two jobs to barely come out even. Health problems, stress, fatigue, depression and no way out in sight. I'd been carrying on like that since I moved out at 17. We moved in together. I never got into her finances but she never seemed to have trouble. I didn't understand.

I was working 50-55hrs a week in a poo poo town, getting every hour in I could and she was a barista for three short shifts a week. I was still paying about 2/3 of the expenses, and I assumed her income based on the hours and pay/average tips. I'd say "I can get more hours in case you can't this week. Just let me know what I need to do. We'll be good." I was pawning stuff every month. I had to call my grandma more than a handful of times and she'd send a check for $100 to help with the rent for the month. Couldn't sleep at night. The anxiety and worries tore me up. I'd hear things from her like, i'm no fun anymore and I'm sad and tired all the time.

I didn't have money, but I gave her all the energy and effort I had. But I never had to go as far as I did. I thought she was worse off than me, so it made me work harder. When I found out she had about $700,000 in a totally accessible savings account 3 years into the relationship, my 25 year old self just felt sick and angry. We weren't partners at all. Rewinding the whole relationship in my head, getting into arguments because I was too tired to go on date nights, that still makes me angry to think about. There wasn't any trust there anymore.

I guess it's not a relatable situation because the guy in that other story just wants a ride. It's 10 years later and I'm doing good, and she's doing who the hell cares, wherever she is. But it really did a number on me way back when.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 23, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not rich but I have hot water despite being a frivolous 20-something who doesn't know the value of money so, no, not jealous.

The guy works 50 hours a week, even at minimum wage, they should be able to afford heating with her trust money. I don't know why you're so keen to defend someone who would force someone they love to live without heating and hot water. I've stretched my budget to cover heating bills for roommates without making a big deal about it and I don't love them nor am I a millionaire.

And yes, like any other post in this topic, we can say none of this happened and it's all bullshit but then there's no point in even talking about them.

i'm not defending someone so much as making fun of you for attacking someone on the basis of what you assume their finances to be. that's just as dumb as falling deeply in love with a woman the moment you discover she's much wealthier than you assumed she was. looking at someone's actual worth as being their net worth is just as silly no matter if it makes you like them less or more, especially when you have to invent stories in your imagination to justify your anger

notice that the dude didn't say anything about this woman, whether he likes her or spends time with her or what. just "we've been living together for 3 months now, i'm really broke, i found out she's loaded, how do i engineer this so i never have to work again thanks bye"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

i'm not defending someone so much as making fun of you for attacking someone on the basis of what you assume their finances to be. that's just as dumb as falling deeply in love with a woman the moment you discover she's much wealthier than you assumed she was. looking at someone's actual worth as being their net worth is just as silly no matter if it makes you like them less or more, especially when you have to invent stories in your imagination to justify your anger

notice that the dude didn't say anything about this woman, whether he likes her or spends time with her or what. just "we've been living together for 3 months now, i'm really broke, i found out she's loaded, how do i engineer this so i never have to work again thanks bye"

I mean if you believe the entirely fake story they were living together, he was working twice the hours she was, and they were talking about their future/kids.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

boner confessor posted:

Her money doesn't make me like her less, her willingness to let someone she cares about live in poverty makes me like her less. You're the one making up bollocks about maybe the settlor not giving her access to enough money to pay for heating when her boyfriend is working 50 hours a week when it's far more likely that it's a situation like Tom Gorman's and yes, they could afford heating.

The guy being a money grabber doesn't change the story beyond making it slightly less aggravating.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's not the one forcing him to live in poverty, it's a socioeconomic system where you can work 50 hours a week and not afford hot water.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
If I was rich I'd stop wearing pants.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pick posted:

She's not the one forcing him to live in poverty, it's a socioeconomic system where you can work 50 hours a week and not afford hot water.

I didn't say she was forcing him to, I said she was letting him live in poverty. And the guy wasn't planning on marrying capitalism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbyn posted:

Her money doesn't make me like her less, her willingness to let someone she cares about live in poverty makes me like her less. You're the one making up bollocks about maybe the settlor not giving her access to enough money to pay for heating when her boyfriend is working 50 hours a week when it's far more likely that it's a situation like Tom Gorman's and yes, they could afford heating.

The guy being a money grabber doesn't change the story beyond making it slightly less aggravating.

drat it's a shame you're working for minimum wage when apparently you have the power to audit people's financial documents telepathically and can determine their disposable income via the internet. amazing. you're like a bitter working class version of those people who can tell what should and shouldn't be in someone's shopping carts based on their apparent socioeconomic status

i mean she's living in poverty right there with him, let's assume she's a crazy miser who's torturing the poor bastard for fun haha

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

sweetie we've been dating for almost a year, living together for months now, talking about our future with kids, and you work twice the hours I do. I could simply chip in a negligible amount of my wealth to make us more comfortable at night but it's more important to me to keep testing you because I think you might be a gold digging mooch.

Lucky for her she ended up being right but imo it's not a good look in general.

I dunno if I simply have a different perspective due to gender roles but I've spent my life dating people who make less money than me and when it came to expenses of us doing stuff together I'd just voluntarily do more because I could and a: I genuinely wanted to do what I could to make them happy and b: I didn't want to make our income discrepancy a source of tension in our relationship.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think it is pretty prudent to be on the same page as far finances go if you're going to move in with your partner. I can't imagine not paying to keep the lights on in her position while still wanting to live together. I don't think she's a monster or anything, but it's not what I would do.