Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Harlem Unbound, the Cthulhu mythos in the Harlem Renaissance, seems cool. Mentioning a video game stretch goal immediately makes me wary, though, even if it's kind of jokey. Still, there are good, reliable people involved, so backed for now.

Great find. Harlem Renaissance is full of opportunities to be cracked open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Anyone have any opinions about Abandon Planet? It's hit its final 48 hours.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'd be so excited for anything except Cthulhu. (Well, not zombies either, I suppose.)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just a reminder that The Other Side kickstarter will start around 3PM Eastern or so: https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side I assume the countdown timer will be replaced by a link then.

Going in on Abyssinia, though hoping they have a two-army deal that will make also picking up Cult of the Burning Man attractive.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just a reminder that The Other Side kickstarter will start around 3PM Eastern or so: https://www.wyrd-games.net/the-other-side I assume the countdown timer will be replaced by a link then.

Going in on Abyssinia, though hoping they have a two-army deal that will make also picking up Cult of the Burning Man attractive.

Do we know what the rules gonna be like

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It looks like the base mechanics will be like Malifaux;
uses a poker deck instead of dice
each unit gets a stat card with everything you need printed on it like their attacks and what bonuses you can get by matching suits to the type of attack- Like most Strength attacks do bonus damage if you get a ram(heart)

The differences seems to be
Rank and File are multibased instead of independent models(though the multibases use a peg system instead of the models being integrated into the multibase)
Instead of morale being a detriment, all cards have a flip side with better stats and abilities if you can inspire them to glory
There looks to be a token system that hasn't been explained much

Also to note, all the models are one piece pvc so no assembly required.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I believe they also said they plan to have another video going into more detail at Kickstarter launch.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Other Side KS up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9?ref=nav_search

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In the most recent Fog of Love update the makers of the game are reaching out to the LGBT community for story cards or issues focusing on LGBT themes (item 7 in the update). So, you know, if that's you and you're interested...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

potatocubed posted:

In the most recent Fog of Love update the makers of the game are reaching out to the LGBT community for story cards or issues focusing on LGBT themes (item 7 in the update). So, you know, if that's you and you're interested...

Man, I meant to back that. I could have helped too!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Are the Other Side Figures Malifaux legal, or will they be entirely different games?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are the Other Side Figures Malifaux legal, or will they be entirely different games?

Entirely separate. It's hypothetically possible that at some point in the future, they'll put out a model that can be used in both, with different rules for each game, but there won't be anything like that at launch or shortly thereafter.

In ToS news, they've passed the 200k mark, adding an add-on unit for all four factions. I've grabbed the ones for Cult and Abyssinia so far. Next step is 225k, which will add a new Commander for each faction, added free to each Commander+ pledge for each faction you have in there. Looking forward to my Lord of Steel and psycho mage. :hist101:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, I like that The Other Side is a minis game that can (in theory) go straight from box to table without pause. I've never cared for the hobby aspect of things, and while they're unpainted it's still a step up from "now carefully glue together these tiny, fiddly miniatures in order to play the game." Plus Malifaux's resolution system looks more interesting than rolling dice. On the other hand it's still a substantial buy-in for even a single faction starter for a game I'm not even sure if anyone around here would ever actually get into, plus the game's footprint is relatively sizeable compared to, say, X-Wing. Still, I hope it does well enough for them that they could one day look into (re)doing Malifaux sets as single-piece sculpts, especially given how finicky many of their unassembled sculpts are supposed to be.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

On the one hand, I like that The Other Side is a minis game that can (in theory) go straight from box to table without pause. I've never cared for the hobby aspect of things, and while they're unpainted it's still a step up from "now carefully glue together these tiny, fiddly miniatures in order to play the game." Plus Malifaux's resolution system looks more interesting than rolling dice. On the other hand it's still a substantial buy-in for even a single faction starter for a game I'm not even sure if anyone around here would ever actually get into, plus the game's footprint is relatively sizeable compared to, say, X-Wing. Still, I hope it does well enough for them that they could one day look into (re)doing Malifaux sets as single-piece sculpts, especially given how finicky many of their unassembled sculpts are supposed to be.

I will say that they've definitely improved since their first plastic releases (10 Thunders plastics). Most of the newer masters' boxes are pretty easy to put together.

As far as the size goes, they have said that (like in the gameplay video), 4"x4" is supported/fine for single commander games (1 commander/25 Scrip). Which is handy, because I can continue to use the table in my home (instead of packing up and going to a larger space) and I'll probably be content with the smaller game level (that is still larger than Malifaux).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Other Side aren't single piece sculpts. They're clipped from sprues and assembled at Wyrd. They said after the game launches they will have unclipped sprues available to order from their site.

I'm in for the two commander pledge but I don't really blame anyone for hesitating. This is a kickstarter from a company that knows full well that LGS sales are their lifeblood and don't want to undercut that too much.

I say, if you're on the fence, give it a pass. The full game will be up on vassel in a year when you can get all the stuff for cheaper just without a few bells and whistles.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

In a blast from the past, my Creature Caster dragon has allegedly been shipped! Was a nice Xmas bonus as I'd already written it off a year or so ago.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My copies of Unbound and Faith: A Garden in Hell arrived. Both look fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My copy of Nerdy Inventions arrived! That box is way too big. It could genuinely fit into a Love Letter size bag.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The Other Side added stretch goals through 500k. Of note is a bunch of freebies - app/tokens at 250k, adjunct model at 325k, units at 375k, champions at 400k, and commanders at 500k. If they make it that far, it'll be valuetown.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9/posts/1767954

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I can't see them hitting 500k with their current progression, but 400k seems reasonable and that's where I'd be willing to buy in.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't see them hitting 500k with their current progression, but 400k seems reasonable and that's where I'd be willing to buy in.

Yeah, a lot of people seem upset at the lack of freebies and have said they're just waiting for retail, unfortunately. A lot of the stretch goals are add-ons, and are mostly about having funds to be able to have a larger offering ready to go at launch. The discount helps overseas buyers (like myself) offset shipping costs, fortunately, so I'm still happy to buy in.

I'm hoping 375k at least gets achieved so I can get a free unit of giant hermit crabs. :krakken: (I am fully back on the fish/lizard/gribbly things train after a brief dalliance with the Cult). Its also the point where I might consider Dual Commander being worth it.

Cinnamon Bear fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 20, 2016

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I can definitely see how enthusiasm can shrink when there isn't as much free poo poo getting thrown in, but I've also seen plenty of kickstarters get burned in their retail launch when there was nothing worth stocking after the backers got their kit. Wonder if shop owners are happier about this method or not.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dulkor posted:

I can definitely see how enthusiasm can shrink when there isn't as much free poo poo getting thrown in, but I've also seen plenty of kickstarters get burned in their retail launch when there was nothing worth stocking after the backers got their kit. Wonder if shop owners are happier about this method or not.

Wyrd has been pretty forthcoming that they've structured it like it is to be the most fair to their retail partners and distributors. They're looking to launch the game next year and want to have it as a heavily supported game like Malifaux instead of a one-and-done ordeal like most kickstarter projects.

Frankly, I don't mind as much- I've backed miniature heavy kickstarters where I've been promised the world and I've still got shipments of plastic coming that I no longer have any interest in. I backed Shadows of Brimstone in 2013, and theres tons left still on its way to me. But in the intervening years I've already got the game, played the game, enjoyed it, and grown tired of it. Not to mention I've moved to a different country for work. Like it's almost more trouble than its worth after a certain point.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Very true. I might ask around some of the local shops to see if they plan to support it or not. At this point I'm in for a commander pledge anyway just for a painting project, just have to decide if I want insane cultists or steampunk Wakanda.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For anyone who backed NewKULT, the quickstart rules were sent around on Wednesday. Not had a chance to read them yet, but just skimming, I really like the graphic design they've got going.

e: Actually, looks like the QSRs are publicly available. There's just a link to download them in the latest public Kickstarter update, so if you're interested you can just grab them.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 23, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So GMS sent out a Far West update the other day, saying that we're going to get whatever's done (if not the whole thing) by the end of the year. He also said that all that's left are the (and I quote) "last chapter & appendices".

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I had three separate Kickstarters tell me that their game was going to be delivered either today or tomorrow. Strange thing is that none of these promised getting them before Christmas. All the ones that did promise Christmas delivery are all shipping late Jan/early Feb.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

So GMS sent out a Far West update the other day, saying that we're going to get whatever's done (if not the whole thing) by the end of the year. He also said that all that's left are the (and I quote) "last chapter & appendices".

I love that even "whatever's done, I'll give it to you by X date" is still unbelievable enough that I wouldn't bet on it.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

how long has he been writing the last chapter? is this officially a year yet?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I love that even "whatever's done, I'll give it to you by X date" is still unbelievable enough that I wouldn't bet on it.
Someone in the KS comments is betting 10x his original pledge (so $650) to a charity of GMS's choice that we won't see anything by the end of the year.

And it's worth pointing out that all that's left is "one chapter", which I think is the one he's been :airquote:working on:airquote: for over a year.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone in the KS comments is betting 10x his original pledge (so $650) to a charity of GMS's choice that we won't see anything by the end of the year.

And it's worth pointing out that all that's left is "one chapter", which I think is the one he's been :airquote:working on:airquote: for over a year.

Hell, for that much I'll write a final chapter for him, sight unseen.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Tales from the Loop just sent out the alpha PDF.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In better news, my shipping label for Fragged Empire Protagonist Archive was just generated and I should have it early next week. :dance:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Got my german KS version of Fragged Empire CRB today. Nice book, shiny pages, hardcover.
Only about 6 weeks late, so its "kinda" ok. Not really, but on Kickstarter these days it is, I suppose.

Got among others "an audio cd with music" that contains the Tabletop Audio Ambient Tracks..which I find kinda cheap,
as well as some rather ugly and 4-pages strong character sheets in high glossy paper (Which you can´t write with pencil on, and really guys, 4 pages?)
Finally it seems that KS is going to delay even longer for some of the other products as they´ve lost a translator that "dropped of the face of the earth"
as a company said in their weekly video update.

Bah what am I complaining, I got what I wanted out of it. Yay =)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

In better news, my shipping label for Fragged Empire Protagonist Archive was just generated and I should have it early next week. :dance:

Same here, also just received my link for the Ta;es of the Loop beta PDF

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
I just got my physical copy of Masks, with the whole drama I considered getting a refund but took the lazy way out and decided to just not give them money in future. Nonetheless, the art is pretty good for a superhero game and I'm pleased with the purchase.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I just got my two Prism dice from relic & was taken by surprise because I don't remember seeing a shipping announcement.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Goddamn Kickstarter games now have some great art. Unbound, Faith, the new Fragged Empire book, and Tales from the Loop are gorgeous.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno another way to thank Herman S Skull but from what I understand he does KS poo poo and is a goon so, I gave Star Bastards out at a white elephant party and it was well received!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

signalnoise posted:

I dunno another way to thank Herman S Skull but from what I understand he does KS poo poo and is a goon so, I gave Star Bastards out at a white elephant party and it was well received!

I'm glad whoever got that is happy with it. Herman Skull doesn't have a phone but I'll send your regards by pigeon or semaphore.