Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Every mission is complete and has already been grey/white boxed.

Just quoting again because :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
"Apparently it was a straightforward "1 to 1" conversion since Lumberyard is based on the newest version of Cryengine and the entire port over is already finished."

:laffo:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I gotta admit, its kinda odd none our insiders saw this coming.
Not even a hint.

A possible reason for this could be that breaking a NDA might not concern you that much if you think CIG won't be around long. But leaking something that pisses both CIG & Amazon off might be a bit more risky.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Moma? Moooooomaaaaaa!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Maybe this was why Derek was saying to get out right now.

Mar 28, 2016

Natron posted:

BTW, I had to look up ELE, and found both Extinction Level Event and Engine Life Expectancy. Make you think...

:gary:

I really dunno, I just saw the old quote.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It is already starting to happen

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just made a full confession.

Well, my 8+ year old Twitter account was just an alt of Derek's, so welcome to the Long Haul Club, buddy!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wait is this why Crytek got the shaft financially? Maybe they had a deal to get support and the engine for free/cheap as long as they got a split in the profits when it got released and CIG just buttblasted them out by switching to lumberjack?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The DNF transition is complete.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Making the transition to Lumberyard and AWS has been very easy and has not delayed any of our work, as broadly, the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

:roflolmao:

also

Gravity_Storm posted:

Buy back in Beer. Sarspariller

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Tokamak posted:

It is already starting to happen

hahah

Here's the Polygon article for the lazy: http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/23/14062698/star-citizen-amazon-game-engine

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait is this why Crytek got the shaft financially? Maybe they had a deal to get support and the engine for free/cheap as long as they got a split in the profits when it got released and CIG just buttblasted them out by switching to lumberjack?

No. Crytek was going under a couple of years ago, and selling a license to Amazon kept the lights on until now. Crytek wouldn't exist presently if it wasn't for Amazon.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
"No changes other than licensing, not a single drat thing. Maybe down the road some mandatory Amazon connectivity for data collection/ad purposes but at the core not a single loving thing. Don't sweat it"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7389759/#Comment_7389759

:D

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr.PayDay posted:

"Apparently it was a straightforward "1 to 1" conversion since Lumberyard is based on the newest version of Cryengine and the entire port over is already finished."

:laffo:

I'm still not clear on whether Lumberyard is 3.8 based, or not. A lot of links are saying 3.8, but a few sources are saying 5.0.

Either way, neither of them would have been compatible with CIG's years of customization on their own custom engine, which they've hired CryTech guys for, and have just gotten in the basic mechanics so now development will leap forward.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
lol an engine change. this has been in the works for months. Not a peep. Nice open dev guys.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

No you see, it's not creepy if you have a six figure salary.

https://i.imgur.com/zvbsvMP.mp4

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

laughing

my

butt

off

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Mr.PayDay posted:

"No changes other than licensing, not a single drat thing. Maybe down the road some mandatory Amazon connectivity for data collection/ad purposes but at the core not a single loving thing. Don't sweat it"

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7389759/#Comment_7389759

"What's this ad for the Grand Tour popping up on my HUD?"
"You mean the Galactic Tour?"
"No."

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

LOL and just the first comment entry fits:

VengerTL
May 29, 2013

TheLightPurges posted:

lol an engine change. this has been in the works for months. Not a peep. Nice open dev guys.

Engine change?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tokamak posted:

No. Crytek was going under a couple of years ago, and selling a license to Amazon kept the lights on until now. Crytek wouldn't exist presently if it wasn't for Amazon.

No, I mean crytek mentioned that they were still owed money from prior licensing and that was one of the reasons why they couldn't pay its employees for months at a time. It would be hilarious if that was because they were expecting CIG to pay them.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/faq/

Calling it now, they were able to integrate because the front end visual stuff hadn't really changed much at all. They switched because the new engine was basically the same code but also free from licensing fees, and Chris thinks the scaling amazon services he'll have access to on the back end are the silver bullet that will end all of his networking issues (they aren't).

That's exactly the para that grabbed my attention. I suspect they're running into probs paying the licence fees, so switching to a "free" branch of Cryengine would make sense to them. Especially considering how pathetic their FrankenCryEngine is at this point.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Was just browsing the internet on Lumberyard projects, keep finding little tidbits of info suggesting that while the engine is free to make stuff with, if you go commercial with it and wish to sell your creation in stores and online shops, you have to get Amazons permission.

If this is accurate then Amazon just became CIG's Publisher, lol.

It is just little bits of info and I'm sure it's far worse than that. :D

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr.PayDay posted:

No mention of Starcode. :rip:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've given this three times now. I want to see SQ42 drop in its entirety next year (2017) and real progress made with the (star)systems. That is to say, everything that alpha 4.0 was touted to be - should be in 2017.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

VengerTL posted:

Engine change?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/press/15660-Star-Citizen-And-Squadron-42-Utilize-Amazon-Lumberyard-Game-Engine

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

AP posted:

I see a Citizen somewhere in 2017 typing the words "Development didn't really start until December 2016".

Hell, I expect to see it by Monday.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

the friday before christmas

ahahahahaahahahahaha

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There's no way they knew about this tiny development at the stream last week so that must be why they didn't open development about it during that whole thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

:cawg:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

the friday before christmas

ahahahahaahahahahaha

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/24/star-citizen-has-changed-game-engines

loving lol at CiG, what a car crash

VengerTL
May 29, 2013
Isnt this just a networking change and not a engine change? like its a part of their "star engine" being changed not the whole thing. My mate is saying this will allow them to scale servers as he uses this in xbone app development

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

VengerTL posted:

Isnt this just a networking change and not a engine change? like its a part of their "star engine" being changed not the whole thing. My mate is saying this will allow them to scale servers as he uses this in xbone app development

They are no longer using their hacked together version of cryengine. They are now using lumberyard for their engine, which will theretically make it easier to do the networking stuff (but I thought they were hard at work with the network updates for 3.0 coming this year! lol)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
https://aws.amazon.com/de/blogs/gamedev/

"Now we’re well in December, and putting a bow on the features coming in Lumberyard Beta 1.7, which you will see early next year. This new release is our biggest one yet. We’re currently tracking over 400 improvements, new features, and fixes, which we believe reflects our growing team, the culmination of many months of development, and more and more customers like you giving us feedback. Beta 1.7 includes Visual Studio 2015 support, the ability to deploy Android builds directly from the Editor, dozens of improvements to Component Entity workflows, Cloud Canvas support for consoles, and lots more that we’ll tell you about next month.

When we started Lumberyard, we had tremendous conviction that a free AAA game engine, deeply integrated with the cloud and a massive community would help developers move faster and better engage players in the types of experiences fans are demanding today. Our vision is not to settle with the premise of creating a world-class engine alone – we aspire to help you create experiences that would otherwise be impossible to build today. While we’ve worked hard this year and had a lot of fun in the process, it is still day one for us, and we’re looking forward to delivering more improvements, more “cloud and crowd†features, and more big ideas next year."

Nice, to projects in development meet each other, so please pledge more to watch how this all will work out, dear backers

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
This probably is a good thing for Star Citizen but it does make a mockery of the whole 'StarEngine is probably almost unrecognisable to CryEngine by now' bullshit. Yes, so unrecognisable that they managed to port across their entire game with minimal hassle.

This isn't going to solve the big technical hurdles which they have set for themselves either, they'll still have to [not] solve them for themselves.

Bit of 'meh' news in my opinion.

StarEngine was never that different from CryEngine.
Lumberyard is probably a better platform to move forward with than CryEngine or StarEngine.
Still gotta work out how they're gonna build a seamless universe with 1000's of players and 'maximum fidelity' which is the bit they can't and won't be able to do.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Wasn't it at Gamescon (or ShitizenCon) that they were still touting their great StarEngine? So basically, they're admitting they lied about what they were developing, or they're lying about the transition already being done. Either way, normal CIG.

VengerTL
May 29, 2013

TheLightPurges posted:

They are no longer using their hacked together version of cryengine. They are now using lumberyard for their engine, which will theretically make it easier to do the networking stuff (but I thought they were hard at work with the network updates for 3.0 coming this year! lol)

Ah I kinda get it now, I have never heard of lumberyard before this. All new water to me.

Any one here worked with lumberyard and knows more details about it?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

There's no way they knew about this tiny development at the stream last week so that must be why they didn't open development about it during that whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

quote:

We could not find a more stable and reliable engine partner than Amazon, so with this partnership we are sure we have secured the future development and continuing technical innovation for Star Citizen.

theyve been bought.

I thought development was going great? Why is now "secured"