Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How long until Amazon fires chris, I give it 6 months.

The game will come out, but it won't be Star Citizen, it'll be a mobile generic fps or something like that I bet.

edit : nah, grand theft auto in space, with add-ons, to really gouge the whales. Now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, hope you're all enjoying screaming at the computer game and the people who bought it. This post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents, especially now that christmas is near. they love and care about you and would love to hear from their sons and daughters about how life is going, hobbies, friends etc.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Crash course in game development, specifically relating to Lumberyard for those interested in never falling foul of "you don't understand game development". :)

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/Lumberyard-intro.html

I know Kung Fu. :matrix:

I.N.R.I posted:

hope you're all enjoying screaming at the computer game and the people who bought it.

Very much so, thanks.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 24, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Decrepus posted:

I turned on the top SC stream and this happened immediately

https://clips.twitch.tv/captain_richard/WrongWalrusBrainSlug

Physics.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Chrissy Misstmas everybody, and to all a Happy New Engine!

I hope you will all join me in a cheering round of Silent Crash and Ding Dong Chris Is High.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 24, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
God Rest You Merry, Starengine.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Goobs posted:

That 70% who voted no will change their votes to yes once they read the newsletter of course.

As a matter of fact the yes it is a good idea ratio is slowly climbing. I can't help but wonder why?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I Saw Three Ships (Come Glitching In).

We could do a charity album.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Chrissy Misstmas everybody, and to all a Happy New Engine!

*Sings*
Crobbler yells, Lesnick smells,
Starengine's gone away,
Oh what fun it doesn't have,
When it breaks every bloody day,

Crashing through the code,
With mushmouth being gay,
Over the delayed dates we go,
Failing all the way,

It goes on, etc

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These screenshots look great. I know they're about as real as any other photoshop, but it's the story they're trying to tell with them. I see these, and it looks like Mass Effect. Right down to the Archered not-mako crawler. Maybe that's who they see as the big target now? But if you see these, and I told you this was a space ship game, would you believe me?

So... yeah. I guess it's just product confusion. I know none of those pictures will ever be realized, but they're trying to milk every avenue. I guess the new target is people excited for the new Mass Effect game. :shrug:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Bushmaori posted:

As a matter of fact the yes it is a good idea ratio is slowly climbing. I can't help but wonder why?

No poo poo...

Now..

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
it's the gift that keeps on giving.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
O Starcitizen of wonder, star of night
Star with JPEG beauty bright
Backer misleading, release receding
Guide us to thy Buggy Shite

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enjoying screaming at the computer game and the people who bought it. This post is just a quiet reminder for you to call or visit your parents, especially now that christmas is near. they love and care about you and would love to hear from their sons and daughters about how life is going, hobbies, friends etc.

Hi I.N.R.I., it is already Christmas Eve here in Australia, and I am over at my mum's place helping her make the pavlova for the family get together today.

As you can see, it's coming along quite nicely, and if you're careful you can just catch her reflection next to me. I hope that you take some time off from screaming at a thread on a comedy forum devoted to laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet, because they are laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet in a manner that you do not approve of, and give your mum and dad a big hug for me.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Breetai posted:

Hi I.N.R.I., it is already Christmas Eve here in Australia
Don't melt tomorrow, commando.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a deal with Amazon where they are essentially now the publishers of the game. Watch Shitizens try to adopt that into their narrative.

I honestly cannot see an upside for Amazon in this other than an outright licence for the engine. There's no way I can believe Amazon would put money into this, given the history.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jingle Bells
Chris' story smells
His hair is a toupee
The project has lost its wheels
The funds did they mislay

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
The engine switch finally did it. My co-worker who's in for at least 2k (that he'll admit to) asked me how to start the refund process. He's lost all faith in CIG.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CrazyTolradi posted:

Don't melt tomorrow, commando.

Pfft, it's only 35.7C/96F here in Adelaide (known for its wine region, churches, and essentially being the world's largest country town) and tomorrow's going to be a balmy, stimpirial 40C/104F, so as long as I remember to bring a bottle of water while I doxx my parents and send death threats to my other relatives (it's an Australian thing) it'll be fine.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Breetai posted:

Pfft, it's only 35.7C/96F here in Adelaide (known for its wine region, churches, and essentially being the world's largest country town) and tomorrow's going to be a balmy, stimpirial 40C/104F, so as long as I remember to bring a bottle of water while I doxx my parents and send death threats to my other relatives (it's an Australian thing) it'll be fine.
Only 35C here tomorrow in objectively better Melbourne.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So wow. Engine switch. They just entered development hell again, not that they ever left.

I suppose this may be due to a few things:

1: StarEngine was a complete mess, and the only people smart enough to work with it jumped ship a long time ago.
1a: Chris thinks Amazon agents will do all the hard parts now.

2: With crytech going under, nobody on the CIG team was smart enough to further develop their engine.
2a: Amazon will be smart enough to pull CryEngine together again.

3: Bought by Amazon, keeps it secret for now.
3a: Chris can't finish a game without somebody good coming in to save it from him.

In any case, I think it's funny that they changed engines from one flavor of CryEngine to another flavor of CryEngine instead of do something smart like switch to Unreal Engine. But I'm guessing the guys at Epic actually expect developers to do their own work, and since CIG can't handle anything more than basic modding, Amazon suggested they'd be happy to help with engine issues if they use Lumberyard.

I think this move is bad, and I think it's happening primarily because CIG lost all relevant skill, so has no choice but to rely on outside help to save them from themselves. I'm curious how long Amazon will allow their guys to be treated like bitches before they either abort or just buy CIG out and finish the project. I'm surprised Amazon is willing to do this for CIG.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So, if the transition was ongoing during the year (or the last few months), it could be that their jesus 3.0 promised build was always intented to be worked on Lumberyard. Of course the GamesCom demo was fake, but the plans were to develop it on the new engine, hence all the gaming-is-saved features.

And maybe the transition for SQ4 is still ongoing (and introducing hard to overcome difficulties as the leaked unusable motion capture data), which is why they show nothing of it. Because they don't want to show stuff with their old engine anymore.

At this point they are resetting most of their custom work or else they have broken stuff on the new engine.

And the broken, half baked 2.6 is supposedly running on Lumberyard, which is probably why 2.5 broke the minute they released 2.6 builds to PTU...

There is ofcourse NO WAY the two engines are as compatible as the claim to be. That is the common bullshit they feed you in this type of situation, while their offices are actually on fire.

Yes, it is a smart move to switch to a better engine (with console support and VR support... no idea about the 64bit fidelity dreams). Early in development. Not this late. This has written development hell and disaster all over it.

However, if Citizens manage to justify the ongoing press shitstorm and be ok with it, it will buy time for CIG. I see no positive logical outcome, but this is a proper cult we are talking about, so it could always go that way...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

A possible reason for this could be that breaking a NDA might not concern you that much if you think CIG won't be around long. But leaking something that pisses both CIG & Amazon off might be a bit more risky.

I can agree with this. CIG may be a lol, but I would not toy around with Amazon even a little tiny bit.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Titanic posted:

So wow. Engine switch. They just entered development hell again, not that they ever left.

I suppose this may be due to a few things:

1: StarEngine was a complete mess, and the only people smart enough to work with it jumped ship a long time ago.
1a: Chris thinks Amazon agents will do all the hard parts now.

2: With crytech going under, nobody on the CIG team was smart enough to further develop their engine.
2a: Amazon will be smart enough to pull CryEngine together again.

3: Bought by Amazon, keeps it secret for now.
3a: Chris can't finish a game without somebody good coming in to save it from him.

In any case, I think it's funny that they changed engines from one flavor of CryEngine to another flavor of CryEngine instead of do something smart like switch to Unreal Engine. But I'm guessing the guys at Epic actually expect developers to do their own work, and since CIG can't handle anything more than basic modding, Amazon suggested they'd be happy to help with engine issues if they use Lumberyard.

I think this move is bad, and I think it's happening primarily because CIG lost all relevant skill, so has no choice but to rely on outside help to save them from themselves. I'm curious how long Amazon will allow their guys to be treated like bitches before they either abort or just buy CIG out and finish the project. I'm surprised Amazon is willing to do this for CIG.

How long until they make Chris Roberts do a promo commercial for Lumberyard where he talks about fidelity.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

How long until Amazon fires chris, I give it 6 months.
lmao when the game fails, cultists will turn to Bezos as the boogeyman who killed star citizen

turning derek into the jealous ex-girlfriend

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Decrepus posted:

I turned on the top SC stream and this happened immediately

https://clips.twitch.tv/captain_richard/WrongWalrusBrainSlug

It's moments like these that remind me how disappointed I am that we won't ever get to experience backers feeling grief with their javelins and idrises exploding (because this piece of poo poo will never come out).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

Straight from the new privacy policy

4. Will RSI Share My Information With Third Parties?

Other than as expressly set out in this Privacy Policy, RSI will never share your Personal Information with third parties without your consent.

RSI may share your Personal Information with:

our affiliated companies, Cloud Imperium Games Corp, Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, and Roberts Space Industries Corp. (individually and collectively “CIG”);

third party service providers under our control and monitoring where such disclosure is necessary or helpful to enable us to provide you with any of the RSI Services and such third parties are contractually bound to process your Personal Information and/or Non-Personal Information under the same restrictions as are set forth in this Privacy Policy;

third party payment providers which are bound by strict privacy policies to carry out payment transactions with you;

any person to whom disclosure is necessary to enable us to enforce our rights under this Privacy Policy or under our Terms of Service;

and/or
any authority to which we are obliged by law to disclose your Personal Information and Non-Personal Information (e.g. tax authorities for commercial transactions).

We will not disclose your Personal Information to anybody else without your explicit approval.

Bring partnered with Amazon now. All their customer info is now amazons lol

Why else would they update it on the sane day they announce the partnership

This is hilarious. The backers are going to get overrun by targeted Amazon ads without even knowing it's happening probably.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DigitalMocking posted:

The engine switch finally did it. My co-worker who's in for at least 2k (that he'll admit to) asked me how to start the refund process. He's lost all faith in CIG.

Yessssss.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I bet some mark in Amazon's Game Department fell for the same bullshit tricks that Chris has been using since the Wing Commander days. Meanwhile CIG will use this to justify further delays as they slowly reveal new problems that they now get to blame on Amazon.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
LOL my friend's defense is "any engine can be shaped into a game, we did it with Vega Strike...I know because I worked on it and understand game development".

Keep in mind he didn't actually program anything major, that was done by a whole bunch of other people in a project that got abandoned ten years ago. But according to him it just needs some love to magically upgrade it into the latest OpenGL and they'll have everything Star Citizen has and more!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I guess those 3.0 screenshots may make more sense now. Assuming they knew about lumberyard, I'm pretty certain it lacks the extreme level of bullshit CIG built into it that basically destroyed it.

So... out of the box CryEngine. You got your FPS and your jeep car again. 3.0 features FPS action and a mako car on a planet. Not far fetched at all, and it'll look pretty with 300 artists. All the coding should be back to reading CryEngine tutorials again.

Unfortunately the dream of Star Citizen is totally hosed. I hope the backers like their dreams with tons of targeted ads. :shobon:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Breetai posted:

Hi I.N.R.I., it is already Christmas Eve here in Australia, and I am over at my mum's place helping her make the pavlova for the family get together today.

As you can see, it's coming along quite nicely, and if you're careful you can just catch her reflection next to me. I hope that you take some time off from screaming at a thread on a comedy forum devoted to laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet, because they are laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet in a manner that you do not approve of, and give your mum and dad a big hug for me.

Doxing your own mother on Christmas eve. This thread has really hit a new low.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Wait, I just skipped a bunch of pages. Am I really reading this right. CIG got scooped up by Bezos somehow and theres an engine switch involved? Whats this lumberyard?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

How long until they make Chris Roberts do a promo commercial for Lumberyard where he talks about fidelity.

Knowing how much Chris loves videos, I'm willing to bet they already have one ready to go, or at least in finalizing stages.

I hope everybody who was so defending StarEngine feels like a tool now. :)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bet some mark in Amazon's Game Department fell for the same bullshit tricks that Chris has been using since the Wing Commander days. Meanwhile CIG will use this to justify further delays as they slowly reveal new problems that they now get to blame on Amazon.

Amazon gets an amazing sucker list plus an army of social media shills, along with CIG's AWS fees. Amazon gives CIG nothing but access to a thing they've explicitly set up as a "free with purchase" way of getting AWS customers in the door.

The only downside I see for Amazon is the embarrassment of being associated with this clowncar.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Hobold posted:

Wait, I just skipped a bunch of pages. Am I really reading this right. CIG got scooped up by Bezos somehow and theres an engine switch involved? Whats this lumberyard?

It's where the corpse of StarEngine has been buried.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/812333624561385476
https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/812453055228772352
https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/812461327402864640

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Marketing hitting it hard. Starting to wonder how much Amazon owns now. Is this stage 1 of Star Citizen eventually coming out as a lovely arena shooter with Chris neutered from the project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The Titanic posted:

I guess those 3.0 screenshots may make more sense now. Assuming they knew about lumberyard, I'm pretty certain it lacks the extreme level of bullshit CIG built into it that basically destroyed it.

So... out of the box CryEngine. You got your FPS and your jeep car again. 3.0 features FPS action and a mako car on a planet. Not far fetched at all, and it'll look pretty with 300 artists. All the coding should be back to reading CryEngine tutorials again.

Unfortunately the dream of Star Citizen is totally hosed. I hope the backers like their dreams with tons of targeted ads. :shobon:
holy moley you're right

and of course arena commander, star marine, and the pu will be "disabled to focus on testing planets 2.0"