Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boiled Water posted:

why bother calculating anything when I'm gagging about looking at numbers and immediately close the workbook again? it just strikes as weird since if I were to scroll around in a word document it doesn't prompt me for saving all that scrolling activity

I don't know exactly, but it's almost certainly a horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, i think the suggested behavior (don't ask about saving if the document is the same as it is on disk) makes some sense, but, like, if you grab your modern as all hell text editor, remove a word, retype it, and try to close, will it actually not ask about saving? most programs do

for excel/word, which have a very complex document model, where even documents which look precisely the same will have different byte representations (due to stuff getting generated id's and possibly being in an arbitrary order etc.), it becomes a huge programming task to carry the idea out to completion, and the half-measures don't really seem valuable enough to invest in if some cases will still never work

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
also like anyone actually knows enough about excels backend these days to actually modify it. the ribbon is probably just hack on top of core code that hasn't effectively changed since the 80s

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
please pardon my ignorance on the subject but

arent document or even picture files sort of 'linear' compared to spreadsheets, in terms of interdependent data within a file?

if you make a change to a spreadsheet and then want the sheet to update, if its not saving to disk it would be making another copy* of the file in memory, right? so then maybe each change put in the undo buffer would need another entire copy of the spreadsheet, vs. a word processor or mspaint needing to only keep the actions themselves in the undo buffer?

* ed: or at least an unknown-sized portion

crusader_complex fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 22, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crusader_complex posted:

please pardon my ignorance on the subject but

arent document or even picture files sort of 'linear' compared to spreadsheets, in terms of interdependent data within a file?

if you make a change to a spreadsheet and then want the sheet to update, if its not saving to disk it would be making another copy* of the file in memory, right? so then maybe each change put in the undo buffer would need another entire copy of the spreadsheet, vs. a word processor or mspaint needing to only keep the actions themselves in the undo buffer?

* ed: or at least an unknown-sized portion

if the undo stack is empty it should be the original document

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

if the undo stack is empty it should be the original document
on the other hand, microsoft is smart to not explicitly trust the undo stack to see if revisions have been made to the document

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

probably the same minds who brought you "deleted emails in outlook need to show an unread count in the trash can"

this makes sense cause people delete email without reading it by accident all the time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also, people use trash as a storage folder

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

but enough about your mother's uterus

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

yeah this was pretty lol when we hired outlook people back when we had notes. they would put stuff in their trash and then notes would delete it 2 days later and then they'd freak out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

similarly if you do the exact same thing in MS Word or Paint it will not ask you to save

open a word doc
do nothing other than print it
it will ask to save changes when you close it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

excel also saves the current cursor position

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

windows still turns every wallpaper image into a super compressed jpeg and it's the most annoying little thing

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Please don't insult TranscodedWallpaper.jpg. Thanks.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

probably the same minds who brought you "deleted emails in outlook need to show an unread count in the trash can"

it's still really annoying to me that responding to an event invitation doesn't count as reading it as far as the trash can is concerned

i'm one of those ocd neat freaks that can't stand having unread messages anywhere so that drives me up the wall

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's still really annoying to me that responding to an event invitation doesn't count as reading it as far as the trash can is concerned

i'm one of those ocd neat freaks that can't stand having unread messages anywhere so that drives me up the wall

I currently have 18k+ unread emails

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

this makes sense cause people delete email without reading it by accident all the time

things that fall under that umbrella according to outlook:

meeting requests you've responded to
emails you started writing but then decided to cancel and not save a draft but the window was open long enough so it autosaved one anyway
things you've marked as junk and deleted

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

open a word doc
do nothing other than print it
it will ask to save changes when you close it

lmao. What the hell

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

windows still turns every wallpaper image into a super compressed jpeg and it's the most annoying little thing

wait, what?

Windows doesn't just render the image you give it, windows actually transcodes the image?

who the gently caress thought that was a good idea, even loving Mac OS 8 didn't do that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

lmao. What the hell

it added a print settings record to the document state and decided that means the state is dirty

I can see how these things come about but man, it's lovely that this wasn't fixed for, like, Word 4 in 1990, much less today

(Word 4.0d for Macintosh was best word)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

eschaton posted:

wait, what?

Windows doesn't just render the image you give it, windows actually transcodes the image?

who the gently caress thought that was a good idea, even loving Mac OS 8 didn't do that

It only does this as part of theme integration, but yeah, it's dumb as hell.

It takes a copy of the image, transcodes it, and puts it in the User's profile under AppData.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It only does this as part of theme integration, but yeah, it's dumb as hell.

It takes a copy of the image, transcodes it, and puts it in the User's profile under AppData.

im sure theres an article by coffee mug guy about how to replace the transcoded image with the original

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rex-Goliath posted:

i have like a dozen phantom unread emails in one of my folders on the ios mail app, i can't find them on my phone and there's no unread emails in outlook for the same account

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

wait, what?

it is new. you get the same background image etc. on every computer where you log in with the same microsoft account (along with a bunch of similar personalizations). i would guess that they do the transcode to put some kind of bound on how much space and bandwidth that would use up

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

roughly similar for me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The best word was perfect 5.1

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is new. you get the same background image etc. on every computer where you log in with the same microsoft account (along with a bunch of similar personalizations). i would guess that they do the transcode to put some kind of bound on how much space and bandwidth that would use up

argh then why lossy compress it? anyway, solid black is the correct desktop background

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh that's why i always have unread messages in my trash.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Granite Octopus posted:

argh then why lossy compress it? anyway, solid black is the correct desktop background

imo use a second monitor to display desktop backgrounds

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

disgusting

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Granite Octopus posted:

teal or bust

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

:agreed:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i literally never see my wallpaper but it would piss me off so much if every glimpse was tumblr-compressed

is that some pre-2k legacy or something? why compress it at all

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the real way to fix it is to buy a high-dpi screen and then you don't even notice the jpeg compression

i tried the registry hack trick, but it doesn't seem to work in win 10 for me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Phoenixan posted:

the real way to fix it is to buy a high-dpi screen and then you don't even notice the jpeg compression

i tried the registry hack trick, but it doesn't seem to work in win 10 for me

it's noticeable on my rmbp under bootcamp

the best workaround is to open the image in firefox and set the background from there, since i guess firefox overwrites transcodedwallpaper.jpg directly or something???

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

qirex posted:

The same mind who brought you "ctrl+F to find something in an email? gently caress you"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Millstone posted:

The same mind who brought you "ctrl+F to find something in an email? gently caress you"

well, outlook is kind of an old software, so i'm fairly certain that person was hitler.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

well, outlook is kind of an old software, so i'm fairly certain that person was hitler.
legends say it was bill gates himself

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lord Des Browne, a former U.K. Minister of Defense, is concerned that even ballistic-missile submarines may be compromised by malware. Browne is now the vice-chairman of the Nuclear Threat Initiative, a nonprofit seeking to reduce the danger posed by weapons of mass destruction, where he heads a task force examining the risk of cyberattacks on nuclear command-and-control systems. Browne thinks that the cyber threat is being cavalierly dismissed by many in power. The Royal Navy’s decision to save money by using Windows for Submarines, a version of Windows XP, as the operating system for its ballistic-missile subs seems especially shortsighted. Windows XP was discontinued six years ago, and Microsoft warned that any computer running it after April, 2014, “should not be considered protected as there will be no security updates.” Each of the U.K. subs has eight missiles carrying a total of forty nuclear weapons. “It is shocking to think that my home computer is probably running a newer version of Windows than the U.K.’s military submarines,” Brown said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the Windows for Submarines rollout was in December 2008

• Locked thread