Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It took me 6 pokemon to beat Totem Lurantis.

I meant against something that isn't a Pokemon, though I guess they did that in... either XY or BW with the 'movie' thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does changing the system time affect how once-a-day events refresh? I fixed my system time last night and nothing at all has refreshed today. No berries, no Festival Plaza stuff, no battle buffet, etc.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
When it comes to Ultra Beasts, how many of each do you catch? I want to know how much thought I should be putting into their natures, I kinda want to actually try battling online this gen.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

They'll probably call the third version Pokemon Eclipse if they make one.

Nah. Pokemon: Void. :black101:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
considering Marshadow/Necrozma, it's definitely Eclipse or something dark related.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Improbable Lobster posted:

When it comes to Ultra Beasts, how many of each do you catch? I want to know how much thought I should be putting into their natures, I kinda want to actually try battling online this gen.

1 Nihilego (maybe 2? I can't remember), 2 Buzzwole or 4 Pheromosa, 2 Xurkitree, 4 Kartana or 2 Celesteela, 1 Guzzlord.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The 3rd game will be called Pokemon Sun/Moon 2.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

leftist heap posted:

Does changing the system time affect how once-a-day events refresh? I fixed my system time last night and nothing at all has refreshed today. No berries, no Festival Plaza stuff, no battle buffet, etc.

Yeah, it puts everything on a 24 hour cooldown after you change the system clock.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AlphaKretin posted:

1 Nihilego (maybe 2? I can't remember), 2 Buzzwole or 4 Pheromosa, 2 Xurkitree, 4 Kartana or 2 Celesteela, 1 Guzzlord.

Thanks pal

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm seriously tempted to just save edit in 9999 FC because this is so dumb.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Internet Kraken posted:

Comparatively, Totem Kommo-o has more weaknesses including a 4x one the game hands you a z crystal for right before it. Even disregarding that though, the SOS pokemon it calls can safely be ignored. Its just a Jangmo-o that buffs itself for like 4 turns but still does crap damage because its such a low level compared to your team.

The Kommo-o called a Scizor on me. Too bad its level was too low.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Gamefreak's continual one-step-forward-two-steps-back school of game design is really annoying. Why do so many cool features have to vanish between gens every time? Would it kill them to just make a game that has all the cool stuff in it or do they actually spend time in each design period brainstorming which usable new feature to take out for the next generation and replace it with garbage?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ZeroCount posted:

Gamefreak's continual one-step-forward-two-steps-back school of game design is really annoying. Why do so many cool features have to vanish between gens every time? Would it kill them to just make a game that has all the cool stuff in it or do they actually spend time in each design period brainstorming which usable new feature to take out for the next generation and replace it with garbage?

Because there's more than one team working on games and they don't swap notes.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

ZeroCount posted:

Like what?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's Pokemon Stars and it's coming to the switch

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Lazerbeam posted:

Like what?

Walking Pokemon
DexNav
Battle Frontier in ORAS
Type Gems
the Underground
dynamic music (BW)
slapping pokemon in Amie
the Berserk Gene
the PWT
VS Seeker

Some of those are left out for regional purposes, but other could come back easily.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

People care about the Berserk Gene? I mean it was an interesting item in regards to Mewtwo and its backstory but it was basically a self-inflicted swagger in the form of a held item.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zuzie posted:

People care about the Berserk Gene? I mean it was an interesting item in regards to Mewtwo and its backstory but it was basically a self-inflicted swagger in the form of a held item.

I dunno, I was just pulling some random stuff from memory. It popped up as Crosspiece is doing an LP of Crystal and has found that item recently.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why do you want to slap pokemon, you satanist

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Kikas posted:

Walking Pokemon
DexNav
Battle Frontier in ORAS
Type Gems
the Underground
dynamic music (BW)
slapping pokemon in Amie
the Berserk Gene
the PWT
VS Seeker

Some of those are left out for regional purposes, but other could come back easily.

Other than Battle Frontier and VS Seeker (PWT seems cool but I never played gen 5), none of these features seems like a big loss to me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
DexNav was cool and useful.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FishBulb posted:

The Dex in sun Moon is extremely useful, will show you where a Pokemon lives down to the specific grass patch.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Slapping mons is definitely still in SuMo.

If the slapping motion doesn't trigger it any more, poking definitely does.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

FishBulb posted:

But you can still chain pokemon for HA's and IVs. The only lost feature is a checklist.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Lazerbeam posted:

But you can still chain pokemon for HA's and IVs. The only lost feature is a checklist.

Yes which was cool and useful.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Lazerbeam posted:

Instead of waiting for the game to say, "Yes, you may encounter an Oranguru," I could just have DexNav spawn one.
Could show up like the shaking grass that chases you down.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

You should've pulled the trigger and made Lusamine the 5th Pokemon in that fight Game Freak

yeah

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I got an Adamant Kartana and a Jolly one, now what should the other two be? Maybe I should catch a duplicate and just trade it away to get a Celesteela, since I'm having no luck trying to give this Pheromosa away for one.

I like how the ultra beasts all have crazy stat distributions.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cancerianmoth posted:

However that could be an excuse to promote trickroom- BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

missed this post earlier but trick room is in the best place it's been for a long time this generation. VGC2017 matches have mons setting and unsetting trick room instead of just playing around it. Porygon2 is insanely prevalent even on teams that don't focus on TR just because it can reliably mess with the opponent's TR. In singles Trick Room is doing insanely well in the 6v6 ladder, probably the best it's done since gen 5 with Reuniclus and Bronzong.

Vikavolt and Alolan Marowak are monsters in Trick Room. This would be the best generation for Mega Ampharos, if only Ampharosite existed (also Mawilite).

Trick room is such a powerful effect that lasting for 3 more turns would be potentially insanely overpowered, because how well a pokemon performs in trick room can be adjusted for each pokemon on an individual basis, rather than in a preset fashion like synergystic abilities/typings for weather.

Also there is an item for trick room - Mental Herb :haw:.

spit on my clit posted:

they should make giga regigigas and make his ability slow terrain, which is just trick room, while keeping the effects of slow start

yknow what thats a terrible idea, so i know what to expect if they pay attention to my boy

do not make trick room even less preventable than it already is, looking at basically unpreventable trick room setters like the grumpy ape, the computer duck, a witch, or the cute clockwork girl (this one isn't usable in vgc or battle spot of course)

actually do this to make it easier to unset trick room

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 29, 2016

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Mental herb Inner Focus Oranguru guarantees that Trick Room is happening, and you cannot stop it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cicadas! posted:

Mental herb Inner Focus Oranguru guarantees that Trick Room is happening, and you cannot stop it.

Double taunt lead

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Double taunt lead

Taunt on Tapu Lele, so your taunt users can't be Faked Out.

Unless your other taunt user is Gyarados, don't do that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Countblanc posted:

Double taunt lead

If it's doubles you pair it with a Fake-out user, I think.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does NOTHING one-shot oranguru?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kikas posted:

I dunno, I was just pulling some random stuff from memory. It popped up as Crosspiece is doing an LP of Crystal and has found that item recently.

In a game with like two good hold items, it's definitely bad.

I think a reason given for not including features in future games is to make each game "unique" so you have a reason to go back to them if you want to use old features.

It's a bullshit reason and I think Pokemon games are mired too much in developers that care more about the experience~

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I really do miss the Dex Nav being able to make sure you catch decent Pokes with cool egg moves for the story was a lot of fun. It did make the game quite easy though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Does NOTHING one-shot oranguru?

Tapu Bulu and Vikavolt definitely can, but fake out protection is a thing, and it also depends on the Oranguru's defensive spread for special attackers. Golisopod's First Impression is also a potential ohko but that's not really reliable.

That's why Porygon2 is better in a lot of ways, barring taunt vulnerability.

Crosspeice posted:

It's a bullshit reason and I think Pokemon games are mired too much in developers that care more about the experience~

If "the experience" also includes the reason that the dex is filled with unusable trash that you encounter early in the game I agree.

Give us Staraptor again, who has returned to his rightful place as the king of early bird mountain (although he contends with the brave challenger Mega Pidgeot).

Also I want the triumphant return of Emerald's Battle Frontier or B2W2's Pokemon World Tournament.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a perfect, bold Mareanie with merciless, is it worth it to try and catch one with regenerator instead for Super Singles? Regenerator seems to be *the* ability people use on Toxapex, but I really don't switch out much in Battle Tree. Maybe I should be switching out more? Merciless seems fine paired with baneful bunker and maybe toxic spikes.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Maybe I'm the weirdo but I really like their design paradigm of different features appearing only in certain regions. It helps each game feel unique and creates a different experience every time, and also gives old games a lot more nostalgia-replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

leftist heap posted:

I have a perfect, bold Mareanie with merciless, is it worth it to try and catch one with regenerator instead for Super Singles? Regenerator seems to be *the* ability people use on Toxapex, but I really don't switch out much in Battle Tree. Maybe I should be switching out more? Merciless seems fine paired with baneful bunker and maybe toxic spikes.

merciless is pretty useless on mareanie/toxapex, its direct damage is pitiful.

baneful bunker and toxic spikes are also just mostly worse versions of toxic, the overall best set for Toxapex is Scald/Haze/Recover/Toxic.

switching out is pretty much required if you get taunted by something that's not afraid of scald burns.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 29, 2016