Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

remusclaw posted:

The movies do have the benefit of a higher budget that allows them to get away with busting their models up like they do. On the other hand, Enterprise was CGI, no? If so they really didn't have that excuse.

Hey, they showed a completely blown-to-poo poo USS Constellation using an AMT model kit back in the second season of the original series. A little ingenuity goes a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Timby posted:

Hey, they showed a completely blown-to-poo poo USS Constellation using an AMT model kit back in the second season of the original series. A little ingenuity goes a long way.

You know you've made it as a show when you can use your own merchandise in actual production.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I never minded the hull plating because it was almost always useless after the first barrage. NX-01 regularly had its poo poo pounded in and blown apart. The ship always seemed fragile, as it should.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 31, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Exactly, even more reason it shouldn't have had the magnetized hull bullshit to begin with.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Exactly, even more reason it shouldn't have had the magnetized hull bullshit to begin with.

So that it gets blown up on the first volley? I mean you have to have something to not die instantly in a deep space ship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
NX-01 is a bland, cramped design but I guess that's what they were aiming for.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MrJacobs posted:

So that it gets blown up on the first volley? I mean you have to have something to not die instantly in a deep space ship.

You solve it by not having weapons that are 100% chance to kill without shields like they are in TNG+... you know, as if it's the past when that kind of thing hasn't been invented yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

It's awesome! Space submarine! Of all the things they did wrong I'll defend the future astronaut aesthetic to the death.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rhyno posted:

WickedHate posted:

It's awesome! Space submarine! Of all the things they did wrong I'll defend the future astronaut aesthetic to the death.

Cramped is good, but would be nice if it were less bland.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When they remembered to add colour and blinky lights in the last season it brightened the sets right up

I object to the NX-01 consisting of miles and miles of corridor, moreso than the Enterprise D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just don't like it. At least the nacelles are in the proper configuration.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tunicate posted:

Cramped is good, but would be nice if it were less bland.

Babylon 5 did something about this, where each sector had different coloured stripes on the wall. Cheap and fast to redress the sets, but it served a purpose which I think real-life long mission spacecraft would have to consider: variety to keep people sane.

I think it's MacMurdo on Antarctica where the walls are all crazy colours so the people don't go nuts. I'd like to see that in Discovery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'll always defend the NX-01 design. If the 1701 is pure 60's futurism, then the NX-01 is a good blend of "40's space rocket" and "something NASA could conceivably build 150 years from now".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

When they remembered to add colour and blinky lights in the last season it brightened the sets right up

I object to the NX-01 consisting of miles and miles of corridor, moreso than the Enterprise D
I got to visit the set of Enterprise when I was working as a journalist (they were shooting 'The Communicator'), and the main thing I remember of it was that it was a literal maze. Apparently in TNG and VOY the directors complained that they couldn't do long 'walk and talk' scenes, so they decided to redress that to the nth degree. It would be entirely possible to get lost in it, because while a lot of the walls were 'wild' and could be lifted up on cables so the cameras could shoot through them, you couldn't move them from inside. So if you were shooting in the transporter room, say, you had to go through sickbay or whatever to reach it.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Rhyno posted:

Seth MacFarlane insisted that the bland setting could be offset by colorful flashback gags.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Payndz posted:

I got to visit the set of Enterprise when I was working as a journalist (they were shooting 'The Communicator'), and the main thing I remember of it was that it was a literal maze. Apparently in TNG and VOY the directors complained that they couldn't do long 'walk and talk' scenes, so they decided to redress that to the nth degree. It would be entirely possible to get lost in it, because while a lot of the walls were 'wild' and could be lifted up on cables so the cameras could shoot through them, you couldn't move them from inside. So if you were shooting in the transporter room, say, you had to go through sickbay or whatever to reach it.

That sounds neat - are there any photos of the set layout?

I tried googling them, but all I found was the Stage 9 interlopers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjffpMV3Q30

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll always defend the NX-01 design. If the 1701 is pure 60's futurism, then the NX-01 is a good blend of "40's space rocket" and "something NASA could conceivably build 150 years from now".

It also feels like a reasonably natural progression from the Phoenix in First Contact, plus it looks believably old 'n' busted next to the Constitution in the Mirror episodes. The NX is cool.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

WickedHate posted:

That's because it's the movie where Gene was in charge.

Like, even V'Ger itself. So much yonic imagery in its design. During Spock's EVA, he talks of penetrating the orifice.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'll second (third?) the NX-01 design. The aesthetic I personally dislike is show-era TOS. I know, I know, super low-budget TV series in the late 60s trying to be futuristic, but it's a aesthetic that I never visually liked regardless of where I see it, and never felt like it could be something we'd use. Even movie-era TOS had glowing panels that you could kinda see as legit.

(of course, I'm a visual sperg enough that even TNG-and-beyond bugs me, especially in HD. You fire phasers by pressing a series of buttons numbered 42, 64, and 23?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MisterBibs posted:

(of course, I'm a visual sperg enough that even TNG-and-beyond bugs me, especially in HD. You fire phasers by pressing a series of buttons numbered 42, 64, and 23?)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The awful little warp core style light tubes they added to the Columbia or what ever Enterprise's sister ship was's bridge to differentiate them were horrible. How could anyone work with those pulsing light tubes distracting the gently caress out of every scene? They looked cheap and bad.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nothing will beat JJtrek's halogen floodlights practically at eye level at all the bridge stations for that

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

I'll second (third?) the NX-01 design. The aesthetic I personally dislike is show-era TOS. I know, I know, super low-budget TV series in the late 60s trying to be futuristic, but it's a aesthetic that I never visually liked regardless of where I see it, and never felt like it could be something we'd use. Even movie-era TOS had glowing panels that you could kinda see as legit.

Spock Brain told us five buttons can control an entire Spock

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sash! posted:

Spock Brain told us five buttons can control an entire Spock

Forward, backward, left, right, and nerve pinch on a motherfucker

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would have been neat if they'd ditched the corridors and had to walk through other spaces on their way to things in Enterprise. Like in a submarine sandwich.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Just have hull armour and drop the percentages.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Duckbag posted:

Miri's got a bit of a bad rap, but I think that's mostly because the "planet identical to Earth" part is ridiculous

One of my favorite things ever was finding out that actually physics predicts this, the problem was just that it's too close to Earth. If the universe is indeed infinite then there must be an infinite number of exact copies of Earth, because there's only a finite number of ways that matter and energy can be arranged and therefore everything will repeat itself infinitely.

However, all that would be so far outside the observable universe it would (presumably) never be possible to detect it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

It would have been neat if they'd ditched the corridors and had to walk through other spaces on their way to things in Enterprise. Like in a submarine sandwich.

If the route from the bridge to the shuttlepod bay and/or transporter room had gone through the women's showers, the show would have lasted seven seasons, easy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If you're a sadist, BBC America, just this hour, started airing seasons 1 and 2 of Voyager, in chronological order, nonstop.

Looks like they pick up at season 3 next weekend.

Why couldn't they have done a DS9 marathon, instead? :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gonz posted:

If you're a sadist, BBC America, just this hour, started airing seasons 1 and 2 of Voyager, in chronological order, nonstop.

Looks like they pick up at season 3 next weekend.

Why couldn't they have done a DS9 marathon, instead? :(

Voyager marathons are the easiest way to turn your channel into garbage, and that's very en vogue for "cable channels that used to be great".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All BBC America is these days is Graham Norton, Top Gear, Doctor Who, various iterations of CSI, Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG and, now apparently, Star Trek: Voyager.

Oh, and occasionally a random movie from the 80's or 90's that makes you go "Huh. I haven't seen that in ages."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Related, I've always felt that one of the core of reasons (if not ultimately the reason) Enterprise died early was precisely that the general public was done with Trek.

I'm not saying the show was perfect, far from it, but I can't shake the notion that even a much better (artistically) show would've still failed and failed hard.

Plus, poo poo, didn't Enterprise launch long after TV in general abandoned the "oh give the show a few years to find itself" idiom?
Yeah, and Startrek ultra optimistic all inclusive message wasn't fantastically in sync with the post 9/11 years.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gonz posted:

All BBC America is these days is Graham Norton, Top Gear, Doctor Who, various iterations of CSI, Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG and, now apparently, Star Trek: Voyager.

Oh, and occasionally a random movie from the 80's or 90's that makes you go "Huh. I haven't seen that in ages."

They did Dirk Gently. It wasn't bad.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

One of my favorite things ever was finding out that actually physics predicts this, the problem was just that it's too close to Earth. If the universe is indeed infinite then there must be an infinite number of exact copies of Earth, because there's only a finite number of ways that matter and energy can be arranged and therefore everything will repeat itself infinitely.

However, all that would be so far outside the observable universe it would (presumably) never be possible to detect it.

Well no, we could find Earth 2 only a few stars away, the odds are just astronomically against such a thing happening (also the star would presumably have to be just like ours and we would have noticed that). That's really the point of the whole "infinite universe" thing -- even the things that seem stupendously unlikely will still happen somewhere as long as they're not actually impossible. Of course, we don't know how infinite the universe really is. It may be infinitely large, but not have infinite matter. The whole thing's a little unclear.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

That was one thing JJTrek did properly with the Franklin--you really go the sense it was a tiny ship, and they did so in a few short scenes.

As to the phase cannons/phasers debate, I was saying that it was bad to ape TNG/Voyager in a prequel back in 2001. I still say they should have had the balls to do no viewscreens, as it was stated to be the case in the Romulan War era on TOS, instead of retconning it away. :colbert:

"Wait, you mean we've never seen a Romulan?"

"No sir, you just missed them, they walked out of the room when Mr. Furley came in!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Romulans could easily go through proxies or client races. The Humans only ever encountered Remans or something.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Astroman posted:

That was one thing JJTrek did properly with the Franklin--you really go the sense it was a tiny ship, and they did so in a few short scenes.

As to the phase cannons/phasers debate, I was saying that it was bad to ape TNG/Voyager in a prequel back in 2001. I still say they should have had the balls to do no viewscreens, as it was stated to be the case in the Romulan War era on TOS, instead of retconning it away. :colbert:

"Wait, you mean we've never seen a Romulan?"

"No sir, you just missed them, they walked out of the room when Mr. Furley came in!"

If they removed view screens it would be a really stupid idea for casual audiences that the show needed to stay afloat. It had a lot of problems but view screens were not one of them. Why the gently caress would they not have anything like that when vulcans did and they did share a lot of basic technology between the species otherwise Earth would have still been a radioactive hellhole by the time of ENT

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Romulans on ENT only communicated via audio (the minefield) or not at all (the unmanned drone.) They can have viewscreens and refuse to use them and still satisfy that continuity requirement.

It's also good to keep in mind that a lot of early TOS continuity is a mess and probably shouldn't be followed to the letter. The "simple impulse" thing in particular is dumb as balls and best forgotten because any interstellar war where one side has FTL capability and the other doesn't would be over in about five minutes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I recently watched Balance of Terror and would like to make a couple spergy points:

Spock says that they didn't have ship to ship visual communication, not that they didn't have view screens. That doesn't even necessarily mean that Starfleet didn't have the ability to video chat with each other, it just means they never talked face to face with a Romulan.

The "simple impulse" thing can suggest that all the output of their warp core was being used to maintain the invisibility screen, considering the Romulan ship was invisible almost the entire episode (particularly when the Enterprise was chasing it) and one of the Romulans telling Commander Sarek that the invisibility screen "uses too much fuel."

I mean, really, people are taking these remarks to amazing lengths in saying "nobody should have view screens in Enterprise!" or "the Romulans didn't have warp engines!"

You're telling me the Romulans sent their ship to attack Earth outposts like 50 years ago or whatever, only now got there, and are heading back to Romulus, ETA 50 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A lot of TOS' incidental lines should definitely be glossed over. However, they totally could have sold the view screen thing if they didn't play the entire thing like a typical Star Trek show with the typical Star Trek formula. Of course view screen communication is essential if you're gonna be doing TNG type stories, and that's Enterprise's whole problem.