Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

This isn't quite that, but maybe it's close enough.

Hahah, this rocks. I kind of want more Galactus chilling out on Earth, being effectively omnipotent and talking like Thor.

e: Also Uncle Ben on a surfboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hodgepodge posted:

Hahah, this rocks. I kind of want more Galactus chilling out on Earth, being effectively omnipotent and talking like Thor.

How about Galactus being constantly scolded by Aunt May after making her his herald?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How about Galactus being constantly scolded by Aunt May after making her his herald?

I knew about that one.

I think giant Galactus walking around and everyone just treating it as totally normal is the best part though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Or if he's in somebody else's What If? story, he just dies.

Off the top of my head, one of my favorites is the ridiculously grim what if captain America had slept till today or something to that effect where Super Nazis run the world and Parker was in some kind of mutant concentration camp. He's super hard bitten and even has a barcode tattoo or whatever, and in the end he smothers Fuhrer Red Skull to death with webbing before dying of a gunshot wound. What If was stupid as poo poo and also one of the best parts of mainstream 90s comics. I haven't read much of the original run.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IIRC when they had the Essentials program going in full swing, they put at least one volume of What If? I mean, if you're gonna do poo poo like Dazzler Essentials and Werewolf By Night, why not?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I love the title Werewolf by Night. When has there ever been a story where there were werewolves by day?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

DeimosRising posted:

I love the title Werewolf by Night. When has there ever been a story where there were werewolves by day?

Remus Lupin :colbert:

(also the twilight series, probably)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

Gonna need Blade to take them on walkies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

IIRC when they had the Essentials program going in full swing, they put at least one volume of What If? I mean, if you're gonna do poo poo like Dazzler Essentials and Werewolf By Night, why not?

You didn't just call Dazzler poo poo, did you?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

The most interesting thing about Thor 3 is that Taika Waititi is directing it, and I have incredibly high hopes because of that.

Well you shouldn't considering other than James Gunn on GotG every other Marvel movie has basically any sort of creative voice squeezed out to have just the right amount of generic Marvel studios house style feel instead.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Well you shouldn't considering other than James Gunn on GotG every other Marvel movie has basically any sort of creative voice squeezed out to have just the right amount of generic Marvel studios house style feel instead.

Even GoTG is a star wars knockoff with better jokes and bit more pathos. It's not like they let him go nuts. He's just talented and skilled enough to still get a very good movie out of a really generic set up.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I mean this is fairly true but there's no harm at all in leaving Thor 3 on your 'maybe I'll watch this' pile until it's in cinemas and the reviews start coming out. That's what I'm doing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Basically however much you change around Spider-Man's origin he always becomes goodguy Spider-Man anyway because Marvel can't/won't have it any other way, even in a completely hypothetical "What If" story.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Which is incredibly dumb, imo, since part of what appeals to me about Spidey's origin is that it scans like a supervillain origin right up until Ben dies.

It's especially interesting to contrast this with a good number of the Superman Elseworlds, such as "What if the Waynes discovered Kal-El's rocket instead of the Kents" Superman becomes a despotic super murderer, "What if Darkseid intercepted Kal-El's rocket and raised him as his own" Superman becomes a despotic super murderer, "What if Kal-El's rocket landed in the Soviet Union" ahem...

DeimosRising posted:

Off the top of my head, one of my favorites is the ridiculously grim what if captain America had slept till today or something to that effect where Super Nazis run the world and Parker was in some kind of mutant concentration camp. He's super hard bitten and even has a barcode tattoo or whatever, and in the end he smothers Fuhrer Red Skull to death with webbing before dying of a gunshot wound. What If was stupid as poo poo and also one of the best parts of mainstream 90s comics. I haven't read much of the original run.

There was a whole phase of those ridiculously grim ones in the 90s, like the one where Peter and MJ had a son and it was a really dark mutant take where the kid was growing organic spider-fangs and poo poo and a hunger for raw flesh, or where Juggernaut killed the X-Men and it led to the Sentinels exterminating all humanity and Juggs being the last man on Earth. When they dropped the "What If X Did/Didn't Y?" format and just went Outer Limits with it, things got real :emo:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok are the first two movies that I'm hoping are going to become the exceptions to this rule. Because you're right, I shouldn't be excited because from everything we've seen from Marvel what you mentioned does happen, but hiring people like Coogler and Waititi who have such specific voices and ways of making films leaves me hopeful.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Basically however much you change around Spider-Man's origin he always becomes goodguy Spider-Man anyway because Marvel can't/won't have it any other way, even in a completely hypothetical "What If" story.
Wasn't there some brief series that, IIRC, was a hosed-up Marvel universe which included a Peter Parker who got bitten by a radioactive spider and got the proportional strength and speed of a man who is dead because he got cancer from a radioactive spider bite?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

K. Waste posted:

Jesus Christ, that's so loving stupid.
What If...'s have a discouraging tendency to end with either the same mainstream status quo being eventually imposed, or the world being destroyed.

TetsuoTW posted:

Wasn't there some brief series that, IIRC, was a hosed-up Marvel universe which included a Peter Parker who got bitten by a radioactive spider and got the proportional strength and speed of a man who is dead because he got cancer from a radioactive spider bite?
Ruins, by Warren Ellis, which was written as a counterpoint to Marvels. The plot goes something like this: "In the Marvel Universe, Peter Parker got spider-powers from a radioactive spider-bite. You know what radiation gives you in real life? CANCER! In the Marvel Universe, Bruce Banner got a super-strong alter-ego from radiation. You know what radiation gives you in real life? CANCER!"

It's literally Ben Urich documenting an alternate Marvel universe where all the heroes are dying from either their mutant powers backfiring, or cancer. There's even a scene where he interviews Hulk's best pal, Rick Jones, who is a filthy, dying addict. Ben notes that he's drinking liquid morphine to dull the pain from CANCER. It's the most ludicrously grim and cynical take I've ever seen.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iirc ruins had a couple of mutants who weren't dying of their own powers but instead were being pimped out by professor x because you can't have mature comics without some needless sexual debauchery

ruins was real bad yall

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just watched BvS for the first time over the holidays. A barrage of images meaning nothing. Liked Batman versus the random mooks though, good action choreography. That's my take on BvS, thank you.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ruins is just one of those things you gotta search out for yourself because otherwise you'd never believe they published something like it.

Like yeah there's a panel where Urich is having a secret meeting with Nick Fury in an alley in D.C; Fury's anti-aging serum has driven him totally insane and in one panel Jean Grey (?) randomly walks up to them and tries to sell her body and Nick shoots her through the head because flashback (?) and Urich has to run away.

The next time we see more mutants it's at this special prison "President X" maintains (with warden Wilson Fisk, who's somehow grown a Texan accent) where he's tried to "cure" mutants of their powers by just amputating limbs (Cyclops is eyeless, Quicksilver is flopping around without arms or legs).

Warren Ellis insists btw that Ruins is actually extremely funny :shepface:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Warren Ellis insists btw that Ruins is actually extremely funny :shepface:

honestly knowing warren ellis i could kinda see that as having been his goal, even if it didn't come off like that at all

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There is some humor to it honestly that doesn't come across in a simple description because through it all you have to keep in mind Ben Urich is basically doing the hammiest "MY GOD, MAN! THE HORROR!" reactions to everything he sees.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Shageletic posted:

A barrage of images meaning nothing.

"Nihilist Film Critic" could definitely fill the void Film Crit Hulk left when they dropped their gimmick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At first, it made me angry, then the sheer ridiculousness of it washed over me. It's so self-consciously edgy 1990s. What if...the Marvel Universe Got...CANCER!" It would make for a pretty edgy Rick & Morty episode.

Shanty posted:

"Nihilist Film Critic" could definitely fill the void Film Crit Hulk left when they dropped their gimmick.
These criticisms of Snyder usually involve someone rambling about what they think Snyder was saying and describing how he communicated it through visual imagery, then concluding that the movie didn't mean or say anything. It's great performance art.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 3, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's an alternate universe in the Marvel multi-verse where death died. It's called the cancerverse

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Halloween Jack posted:

At first, it made me angry, then the sheer ridiculousness of it washed over me. It's so self-consciously edgy 1990s. What if...the Marvel Universe Got...CANCER!" It would make for a pretty edgy Rick & Morty episode.

That would be a pretty boring issue actually, since cancer is cured in the Marvel Universe.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I mean, when you think about it, isn't the comics industry just a cancer?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

There is some humor to it honestly that doesn't come across in a simple description because through it all you have to keep in mind Ben Urich is basically doing the hammiest "MY GOD, MAN! THE HORROR!" reactions to everything he sees.

It is honestly pretty funny, given that Marvel published it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

What If...'s have a discouraging tendency to end with either the same mainstream status quo being eventually imposed, or the world being destroyed.

The implications being that we are lucky to be following the best/true timeline and that Marvel is not going to show us a cooler story that readers would have preferred over what we got.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a "What if JJ Jameson got into politics instead of selling papes?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

greatn posted:

I want a "What if JJ Jameson got into politics instead of selling papes?"

i think when i was still reading comics jjj became mayor of new york for awhile, it was fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To give DC some credit, their Elseworlds get weird like the goregous Superman: Metropolis where he lives in Fritz Lang world and Batman is Nosferatu by way of the Cabinet of Dr Caligari.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lobok posted:

The implications being that we are lucky to be following the best/true timeline and that Marvel is not going to show us a cooler story that readers would have preferred over what we got.
Oddly enough, that's in keeping with the neoliberalism of the movies. "The world is hosed up and your 'heroes' are jerks, but every meaningful alternative is destined to be worse."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shageletic posted:

Just watched BvS for the first time over the holidays. A barrage of images meaning nothing. Liked Batman versus the random mooks though, good action choreography. That's my take on BvS, thank you.

This is an anti-take, actually.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's an alternate universe in the Marvel multi-verse where death died. It's called the cancerverse

Was. It got Thanosed.

He finally got to kill a universe, and all it cost him was reverting to the same character he was at the start of Infinity War.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I mean, when you think about it, isn't the comics industry just a cancer?

Capitalism or industry in general, depending on who you ask.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hodgepodge posted:

Was. It got Thanosed.

He finally got to kill a universe, and all it cost him was reverting to the same character he was at the start of Infinity War.

If I'm remembering right Thanos gets really mad that playing nice guy with Death and killing a whole universe doesn't get him laid.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

If I'm remembering right Thanos gets really mad that playing nice guy with Death and killing a whole universe doesn't get him laid.

Thanos' pathetic Nice Guy obsession with death will never not be hilarious

edit: all I want from the Infinity War movie is for them to include the part where Thanos makes a girl version of himself to be his perfect girlfriend to try to make Death jealous

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 3, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Halloween Jack posted:

That What If where Cap gives that long speech about how America is nothing makes all the lovely What Ifs worth it imo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That was good, but maybe not as good as the one where Spider-Man kept his six arms because Morbius was killed and eaten by sharks, literally minutes after he became a vampire.

That's one of my favourite things in What If..., when some especially geeky writer shows that the mainstream continuity would be vastly different if not for some D-list character's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if Spider-Man kept his six arms but also then got possessed by Dr Octopus who put on his four robot arms.

• Locked thread