Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Just watch this, and back away from the dumpster fire.

Though from what I hear, there's a mod called Antibirth that's fairly good. You don't even need Afterbirth to get it installed.

funnily enough i'd maybe considered getting both afterbirth and preordering afterbirth+ during the winter sale but decided against it. also heard about antibirth, which i might try sometime if i get the itch to play again?

i mostly just find it kind of funny that mcmillen really does seem to want to double down on what were legit pretty bad aspects of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I figured out what Sulfuric Acid does. Modified tears break rocks and secret doors.

Also, choosing to take a Victory Lap precludes doing Mega Satan that run. Though it will be laughably easy to get back to MS in the victory lap unless I'm completely prevented from getting there.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 4, 2017

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Oh man, Succubus in the Pong challenge is incredible. Why they felt the need to add a challenge that is basically Slow Roll 2.0, I'm not sure.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
* Feed Pandora's Box to the Void
* Take a victory lap
* Every full charge is another Treasure Room item in the Caves

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Double trouble boss room.

The vis sisters and mega fatty.

In caves.

Like there's no point in even bothering, just turn off the game or restart.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Rebirth and Afterbirth during the Steam sale and it felt fine in the couple of hours I played. I am no expert though; Though I have hours into OG Issac and Wrath of the Lamb, I did not play much of vanilla Rebirth (Which I got on PS+). Starting out clean on Rebirth with Afterbirth, while there are times where it was screwy, was playable enough for me at least.

But just a couple of runs into Afterbirth+...it does things to the game flow that I am not sure I like. Enemy portals are kind of a bad idea, I am seeing more rooms full of enemies earlier, along with tankier enemies earlier. I do not know if it is bad luck or Just Good Game Design. Looking at the response to this, I think it is the latter.

Well, I did not know you can refund DLC before this. Maybe I will jump ship, install Antibirth and mess with that for a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I bought Afterbirth+ with a gift card so I can't refund it, even though I kinda want to. I'm sure they'll iron out the issues with it eventually, but for now I agree with the general sentiment that it added a number of cool things, but also a lot more horseshit.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I checked Reddit in my search to find just like a straight up list of new stuff and instead found that people can upload .exe files when uploading mods.

Repeating that because that's kind of a big deal: Don't loving download mods through the game right now, people can straight up upload .exe files that the game will happily download for you

Edit: Apparently anyone can upload anything to steam workshop, including .exes??? I don't think there's anything malicious there yet, the post I'm referring to is the same one Dr. Fetus posted and the person was pointing to the inclusion of the Isaac executable as proof of concept but apparently it's safe to download stuff, just don't be stupid

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 4, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
^^^Oh dear

CJacobs posted:

I bought Afterbirth+ with a gift card so I can't refund it, even though I kinda want to. I'm sure they'll iron out the issues with it eventually, but for now I agree with the general sentiment that it added a number of cool things, but also a lot more horseshit.

I am confused. I would think that if you used a gift card, you can get the amount back in Steam Bucks and spend it on another game?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am confused. I would think that if you used a gift card, you can get the amount back in Steam Bucks and spend it on another game?

It wasn't a Steam gift card, just a generic Visa, so I assumed it wouldn't let me do that but maybe it will. Either way, I'll hold onto it, 7 dollars is really not that bad.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wow, that's a ridiculous oversight. Lucky for me, it released so late for Europe that I didn't end up buying it that night! I think I'm just going to download antibirth instead.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

So the problem with greed mode was that the early game was too difficult (mega fatty on the 1st floor bosswave :psyduck:) but futher into the floors you would usually find something that would break the game (blank card, d20 etc) so it would be a cakewalk until you fight Ultra Greed which was a slog thanks to armor.

Greedier mode exacerbates 2 of these issues and makes it so the gamebreaking items will be the only way you can win. I don't understand how you can fuckup this bad at fixing a game mode.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wrist Watch posted:

I checked Reddit in my search to find just like a straight up list of new stuff and instead found that people can upload .exe files when uploading mods.

Repeating that because that's kind of a big deal: Don't loving download mods through the game right now, people can straight up upload .exe files that the game will happily download for you

Now that I kind of think about it, shouldn't that be on however Steam Workshop works? Unless I am missing something and you can get mods directly through the game itself, somehow. Then yes, totally on them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Seems like that can only happen through Steam Workshop or something from what I've read of that reddit post. But if that's something that can be done through the game itself, then yikes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, okay. I mean, I wouldn't have thought Steam would let people upload .exe files into the workshop but apparently you can?

I had figured no one would bother pointing it out if that's always how it had been but I forgot what site I was looking at I guess

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am sort of glad I got burned out playing Afterbirth, shortly after finishing the Greed mode with everyone (minus Keeper) and all the Lost's post-it tasks; minus the Hush because screw that noise -- I think I only bothered to beat that poo poo with two characters. I decided that after so many years playing Isaac, it was time to move on (and that the direction with the new bosses was not very fun).

I'm watching some Antibirth runs and I get the appeal. It even looks fun sometimes, with good ideas, albeit with some really unfair enemies and attacks. But then I watched a few Afterbirth+ runs and that new (morphing?) boss... was just lazy work and pure revenge on the player.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
At least now we can mod everything ourselves and change all the odd stuff that happens. I'm still confused about the dark bum changes! I always thought because it was so RNG based that some runs you'd get a stupidly good item and sometimes you wouldn't.

People complained that the game was too easy once you took it but I always felt that it balanced out some of the really, really bad items. Plus you could always not take it.

I think it will be fun to make 'The Binding of Isaac Vis a Vis '.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh, okay. I mean, I wouldn't have thought Steam would let people upload .exe files into the workshop but apparently you can?

I had figured no one would bother pointing it out if that's always how it had been but I forgot what site I was looking at I guess

Yeah, if someone somehow manages to upload and make exe files run through lua scripts, then it's time to start panicking. But for now, just don't be stupid with Steam Workshop.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Wrist Watch posted:

It's a game by game basis, AFAIK. Skyrim definitely doesn't allow it (which is why SKSE is up on a store page and not in the workshop.)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, if someone somehow manages to upload and make exe files run through lua scripts, then it's time to start panicking. But for now, just don't be stupid with Steam Workshop.

Thanks for helping clear that up. Edited my other post to help avoid confusion.

Never really touched the workshop before, tbh. Only game I really modded was skyrim and after getting mod organizer set up I know just enough to know that it's a delicate house of cards and I'm afraid to mess with it without pouring through a dozen tabs of tutorials to make sure I don't gently caress it up

Saigyouji posted:

It's a game by game basis, AFAIK. Skyrim definitely doesn't allow it (which is why SKSE is up on a store page and not in the workshop.)

I was googling about it after I posted that initially and saw that SKSE wasn't allowed because of that, which is why I thought there was a rule against them. I can't imagine why it'd be anything but a blanket ban, but I'm also not a programmer/modder and know nothing about this subject besides that the few mods I've used in the past haven't needed to do that, so v:v:v

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Alteisen posted:

The games over reliance on lovely rooms to make up challenge is in full swing in this expansion, some utterly horrendous poo poo so far and those wormholes can eat a giant pile of dicks.

Antibirth just makes this lovely expansion look even worse, that's how you do new bosses or alter existing ones, not this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMe8y6SNOKk

:eyepop:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kinda wish I had just tried out Antibirth and donated that 10bux to their team or somethin'. More care and love was put into that than AB+. And while I've seen plenty of complaints about Anti for various reasons... it's still way better than the Assassins Creed Revelations of Isaac that we got saddled with here.

I've only seen two good things come out of Afterbirth+. One was Bisnap's run of April Fool, which had a lot of incredible nonsense in it... and this image. Spoilered because true final boss for both:

Is there anyone genuinely happy with AB+? If so... uh... why?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

It depends on how the game handles mods internally. There's been at least one case of a game where it just ran mods through a LUA interpreter without any sandboxing or other security checks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh hey, it's the room I was talking about!

Your Computer posted:

What's your favorite new room? Mine has to be the small room with like 6 full grown Blastocysts. Completely unavoidable damage until they're all dead! For added fun, I had Death's Touch so after all of them split twice they literally filled the entire room.

That streamer even has Death's Touch too :haw:

e: I should watch some streams too, watching their reaction to the shitshow is bound to be more entertaining than actually playing Afterbirth+.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 4, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

8 full sized Blastocysts. How is this remotely fair?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

e: I should watch some streams too, watching their reaction to the shitshow is bound to be more entertaining than actually playing Afterbirth+.

Someone linked this earlier, but I'd recommend this for greedier mode: https://www.twitch.tv/northernlion/v/111925509?t=01h27m27s

He doesn't actually win until about the timestamp there hits about 2:10:00, which is where I stopped watching, he's done more stuff of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

30MB patch hitting now. The original download was 90MB, so there's a lot been altered.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yes they came out of the portals. :geno:

Oh and if you hit R to many times to restart you unlock half soul hearts, nice little gently caress you from Edmund and co. :thumbsup:

And Delirium EATS your Chaos card apparently.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 4, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Permanent half soul hearts?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Permanent half soul hearts?

Yes, forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

Oh and if you hit R to many times to restart you unlock half soul hearts, nice little gently caress you from Edmund and co. :thumbsup:

lmao wow that's petty.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh wow. That's baffling!

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I got a sick combination with electric tears and it was an insanely fun run. this expansion is actually growing on me!!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Zo posted:

I got a sick combination with electric tears and it was an insanely fun run. this expansion is actually growing on me!!

Jacob's Ladder is a super fun tear mod

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

April Fool might be the most fun I've ever had in this game, that challenge is amazing.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there anyone genuinely happy with AB+? If so... uh... why?

I'm still sitting on the fence on that one. After 3 Hard runs (Isaac, Apollyon, Azazel) on a fresh save, I haven't encountered anything infuriating or overly difficult yet. On the other hand, I'm not blown away either, but it's too early to tell. Some mechanics are really stupid though. The spikes appearing on normal chests needs to go away and the void portals should despawn after they've spawned X enemies.

I reckon most of the new rooms / enemies / situations will be easier once you figure out how to deal with them. That's been the case with Isaac since the beginning.

For the record, I have almost 1200 hours clocked in and I've found myself disagreeing with nearly every complaint people made when Afterbirth was released because I never found the game to be difficult.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone beat delirium with the lost yet?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Krampus can fire diagonally now too, as if encountering him in small rooms wasn't annoying enough as is.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Looks like I can't properly import my old save to this one. I don't know what gamedata is imported, but it definitely isn't the one I played Afterbirth on. Looks like I don't even have the post-its full with any character. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think every expansion has had some absurd, unavoidable damage rooms on release and they've mostly been fixed. I'm not too worried about those. Annoying stuff like the new spiked chests is more concerning to me.