Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did I actually just have to fight The Bloat on the first floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alteisen posted:

Yes, forever.

No, not forever. Unlocking the achievement just allows regular half hearts to be replaced by half soul hearts in the same way that full hearts could be replaced before. Evidence: I unlocked the achievement and got a full soul heart drop on the same loving run.

Predictably, defeating Satan and the Lamb as Apollyon unlocks the remaining Locusts. Killing the new end boss doesn't appear to unlock anything, though. I didn't even get an achievement for it. Maybe because I did it on a victory lap?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Did I actually just have to fight The Bloat on the first floor

Are you doing Aprils fool?

e: That new boss is spooky! I don't think he's beatable with the lost without some luck or damage mitigation / avoidance, because of how fast he moves and how he blinks in and out.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So I'm guessing April Fool's randomizes pickups at the start of each run? Because I just had a run where every coin gave me Golden Black Hearts. I literally just ran into everything and watched things die, picked up the coins and went back to full health again. Rinse and repeat.

Also, if anyone can figure out how to properly import AB saves into this one, I'm forever in your debt. I tried disabling Steam Cloud, put my appropriate save files into the Afterbirth save file location, the new save game folder, copied back and forth to no avail. It simply refuses to import my game. And honestly this feels like too a bit too much to do on a fresh save file.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Pong challenge was actually, well, fun! I was expecting it to have some bullshit like 'you have to keep bouncing tears off Isaac's body or you die' because that's the kind of bullshit direction the game's been headed in since Rebirth. But no, just a good, simple combination of items with clear direction. So odds are someone else came up with this one.

I also found out in this run that quad shot and triple shot stack, something I never knew before!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wugga posted:

So I'm guessing April Fool's randomizes pickups at the start of each run? Because I just had a run where every coin gave me Golden Black Hearts. I literally just ran into everything and watched things die, picked up the coins and went back to full health again. Rinse and repeat.

Also, if anyone can figure out how to properly import AB saves into this one, I'm forever in your debt. I tried disabling Steam Cloud, put my appropriate save files into the Afterbirth save file location, the new save game folder, copied back and forth to no avail. It simply refuses to import my game. And honestly this feels like too a bit too much to do on a fresh save file.

My save just worked. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

For the record, I have almost 1200 hours clocked in and I've found myself disagreeing with nearly every complaint people made when Afterbirth was released because I never found the game to be difficult.

The complaints that I've seen (and made) haven't been about difficulty though; it's about fairness. I don't have problem finishing runs, I just think it's dumb and not fun to take unavoidable damage. In addition to the increasingly less skill-based gameplay, there have been a ton of unfun items added to the pools which means the actual good and fun items are fewer and farther between, and some things like pills are just never worth taking anymore.

Afterbirth+ does all of this and cranks it up to 11.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new boss that's two 1/4th room-sized thingies that hop back and forth and shoot half-a-room-wide brimstone lasers from one corner to the opposite corner that sometimes sweep up or down and sometimes don't is the most Edmund McMillen thing I have ever seen

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Jedit posted:

Predictably, defeating Satan and the Lamb as Apollyon unlocks the remaining Locusts. Killing the new end boss doesn't appear to unlock anything, though. I didn't even get an achievement for it. Maybe because I did it on a victory lap?

Yea sounds like victory lap is not for unlocking things, being a victory lap and all. After my first final boss kill i got an achievement and a new item unlock.

Even my post-it note is bloody which i guess means the final boss kill, BUT it didn't register on the post-it note my satan/lamb kills that i did on the same run lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My main issue with the current BoI design path is that it became VERY snowbally, even for BoI. Back during WotL and Rebirth, the hardest thing you'd see in the first few floors was what, a Pestilence? More often that not you'd get to sleepwalk your way thru Basement and Caves regardless of what you picked, which allowed you to try out some fun item combinations or salvage a bad start because the treasure room in Caves II gave you 20/20 or something. Nowadays it feels like you start with less damage output than you need to clear those first floors, and although you can STILL salvage a bad start, it feels like a CHORE, and it just keeps getting worse the less lucky you are. Didn't have enough damage output to take care of a double portal room? Sorry, take this hit, no Devil Deal for you. Were you low on life and not willing to risk the run for exploration? Welp, you're out of keys now, and also soul hearts. Oh, this room would be trivial if you had better items, but you don't so miss out on even more items.

It doesn't help that nowadays I quite often hit 6min on Basement alone because the game decided to give me a bunch of XL rooms in a row.

Also Wugga, no offense meant, but "1.3k logged and I'm an Isaac savant" is a TERRIBLE benchmark for even mediocre players like myself when it comes to balance. I feel like I played this game a TON and the only reason I haven't done a full clear is because I can't be bothered to bash my head against Hush as The Keeper (also game deleted some of my completed challenges), and I still have literally 1000 HOURS to go before I touch you.

edit: that being said Pong is really fun. I just beat Delirium as Isaac and god that boss makes no sense and is a badly designed mess. The form changes are cool but the teleporting felt random as gently caress.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The portals haven't felt that difficult to kill to me, even on the first floor. I like that they force you to try and focus-fire something. I guess they could be a problem if they're located within a chokepoint but that seems fixable.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rebirth: The game finally runs without us doing dark voodoo and crossing our fingers to get Flash to just compile!

Afterbirth: For every 2-3 positive changes there's 1 negative change

Afterbirth+: For every positive item/change, there's 2-3 pieces of bullshit.

I at least thought the Backasswards and Pokeymans challenges were at least interesting ideas. With the exception of Ultrahard and "Bloat everywhere" the new challenges at least seem fun and creative instead of Afterbirth's "let's see how punishing we can make these".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The portals haven't felt that difficult to kill to me, even on the first floor. I like that they force you to try and focus-fire something. I guess they could be a problem if they're located within a chokepoint but that seems fixable.

We've been saying "but that seems fixable" since the days of the original Flash BoI, I think it's time to acknowledge that it's never gonna happen.

The spawners that are placed inside chokes are placed like that because Edmund wants you to take damage killing them. Snowball or die.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well that was disappointing. I submitted my refund request for whatever that's worth. If they weren't going to add anything of value in the process of adding mod support, it would have been nice if they'd at least refrained from actively making GBS threads on the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

We've been saying "but that seems fixable" since the days of the original Flash BoI, I think it's time to acknowledge that it's never gonna happen.

The spawners that are placed inside chokes are placed like that because Edmund wants you to take damage killing them. Snowball or die.

Well, presumably we have mod tools to edit that poo poo now so people don't have to hope edmund fixes it.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Your Computer posted:

The complaints that I've seen (and made) haven't been about difficulty though; it's about fairness. I don't have problem finishing runs, I just think it's dumb and not fun to take unavoidable damage. In addition to the increasingly less skill-based gameplay, there have been a ton of unfun items added to the pools which means the actual good and fun items are fewer and farther between, and some things like pills are just never worth taking anymore.

Afterbirth+ does all of this and cranks it up to 11.

Now that I've played a bit more, I'm leaning towards this myself. I really, really want to like it and I'm not going to refund it in hopes there will be balance changes. As I said, I never understood the complaints made about AB being unfair, because I found the increase in challenge to BE fair. Some of it was flat out annoying, to be sure, but I could easily win 99% of my runs with any character.

With AB+, it seems, most of the challenge stems from fighting attrition. Too many enemies on screen at any given time, moving in different ways while the room layout doesn't allow for dodging everything. This is especially bad in earlier floors with Void portals.

As for the new items, I can't say anything as they have been few and far between and sometimes they don't appear to do anything!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Some of the new items are neat. Booger tears are hilarious (they stick to an enemy and deal poison damage based off of your damage for up to 60 seconds). Also the Dull Blade is literally built for game breaking as far as I can tell (Isaac "suffers" all the effects of taking damage without actually taking damage. So if you have Gimpy, Fanny Pack or Piggy Bank...)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

As I said, I never understood the complaints made about AB being unfair, because I found the increase in challenge to BE fair. Some of it was flat out annoying, to be sure, but I could easily win 99% of my runs with any character.

I think you misunderstand my use of fair. "Fair" in this context doesn't mean whether or not a run is winnable (like you say, that's not really the big issue) but whether any run is winnable. The essential litmus test for this would be "Is it possible to clear the entire game with zero items without taking any damage, through skill and skill alone?" You could also ask yourself after every damage taken (and by extension, every death) "Was this due to a fault of my own?" This is why The Lost seemed very interesting to a lot of us when he was released; If such a character exists, then surely the game must be (or strives to be) objectively fair? Of course, this was not the case.

The Binding of Isaac used to be very close to being objectively fair, which is what drew a lot of us to it. A few tweaks here and there to change rooms with unavoidable damage or damage/flight checks and that's it. However, with every content patch since the game first came out they've moved further and further away from this and it's pretty clear at this point that Ed never intended the game to be like that. Probably because it's actually very difficult to design encounters that are both challenging and completely fair. :shrug:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol people say that about every isaac game/patch and then three months later streamers are getting like 300 win streaks

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I have no doubt the dudes who play BoI for their livelihood will be able to adapt to this new difficulty curve, but I'm not sure if it's wise to expect the majority of the playerbase to have that level of time investment.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
This add on sucks. Why is everything so goddamn strong? It's just a boring slog.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Man I don't even give much of a gently caress about fair, I just don't want to spend eight minutes slowly grinding down a bullet sponge that shits out bullet sponges [that dies and turns into a bullet sponge] every second room. Then because one of the bullet sponges landed a hit you don't get any of the cool items so hey enjoy this Mom's Lipstick and say hi to the Ragman for me bro.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Edmund is already saying that they'll change how common portals and stone fatties are.

I think this has started off a little rougher than Afterbirth, but I also think they'll get it to a point where I couldn't imagine going back to the game without it over the next month or two. Yeah, that's not an ok way for a release to work, and I don't see how Greedier mode ever loving made it out of any sort of playtesting, but it is what it is. I like the game enough to put up with it.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Typical day one teething so complaining about difficulty right now seems pointless. poo poo will get rebalanced as always happens once games like this get put in the wild.

Apollyon is fun, though like Lilith he's mostly an item gimmick though that's fine by me. The Void chapter looks kind of lazy but the boss seems cool though I have no idea how I'll beat it with The Lost or Keeper. Haven't even beaten Hush with Keeper yet. It does feel like an un fun push towards doing Hush runs. Getting items from the other boss fights is decent incentive but still leaves me feeling less buzzed than I'd have hoped. Nice they let GameTheory write the ending as well. (I actually like the theory but something about having it "confirmed" feels off.)

For the price and a bit of wait for rebalancing it's not bad but as others have said, the release of Antibirth destroyed AB+s chances of looking anything other than mediocre.

The baby Monstro's might just be to fuciking cute as well.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Every Isaac release has been buggy or had dumb stuff in it at launch, this one doesn't feel particularly better or worse than the others. It mostly gets fixed within a month or so.

Antibirth is still far more interesting than this in pretty much every aspect though.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
you guys completely forgot what a dumpster fire the afterbirth launch was

way more technical problems, and entire sections of the game were completely inaccessible

at least in ab+ you can make it to delirium and kill him on launch day!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there anyone genuinely happy with AB+? If so... uh... why?

Well, I'm happy because I'm looking forward to the monthly additions. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it's not hard to "rebalance" AB+. Make portals less common (and more fragile), make Stone Fatties less common (also slower), fuckin' tone Greedier mode down because holy poo poo, make Delirium stop teleporting immediately, banish the Vis Sisters to the Shadow Realm, make Big Horn a Depths at minimum boss (I'd like more time on their tells too but I'll take what I can get).

That's most of my complaints solved. Oh, surprise spiked chests are stupid, take that out too.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The funny thing about the Sisters Vis is that they're actually cut content from Rebirth... except that they were originally intended to be a Sheol fight.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There needs to be a mod that checks if you're playing as Lilith and if so, disables stone fatties entirely. I just had a run as her where I was physically unable to kill some regenerating enemies because of them. Because of how she works, none of her shots can stand a chance of getting through, and unless you get some upgrades, you have a hard enough time knocking the regenerators down, let alone killing them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dias posted:

That's most of my complaints solved. Oh, surprise spiked chests are stupid, take that out too.

Edmund says he'll add a slight visual tell which is. .. something, I guess.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Sisters Vis = 800x2 HP
Mom = 645 HP

Such balance, such fun.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saigyouji posted:

The funny thing about the Sisters Vis is that they're actually cut content from Rebirth... except that they were originally intended to be a Sheol fight.
Makes perfect sense, they're about that level of difficulty.

Everything is such a loving hit sponge. And portals suck. I hope that Edmund... who's kidding who, he won't ever just nerf everything's HP across the board to make the game more fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Also the Dull Blade is literally built for game breaking as far as I can tell (Isaac "suffers" all the effects of taking damage without actually taking damage. So if you have Gimpy, Fanny Pack or Piggy Bank...)

It's only every other room. You need the Habit and the Car Battery as well to make it super-good.

Here's another seed for you to try if you're frustrated and want to see motherfuckers melt before you:

ADBN AV8M

Isaac, you'll get the Mulligan early followed by Poly/Proptosis and a ton of Tears Up stuff. Judicious re-rolls got me both Leviathan and Guppy in Mom's Devil Room, and a final re-roll in the Void just before the end boss gave me Soy Milk.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the mod tools are separated from Afterbirth+. Trying to balance Rebirth or Afterbirth might be a fun enough job, but if you can only mod Afterbirth+ then it seems like... too much work.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Afterbirth+: Hope you find piercing shots on the first or second floor!

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816682664312700928

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816683431081848833

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/816683676096307200

At least he's listening? :shobon: I feel like once the mods get rolling and antibirth is ported over this might be a good game, maybe. For now it's... rough.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I'm honestly wondering if Antibirth will actually get ported now. The dev team were less than happy with AB+.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It's ok guys AB+ is saved thanks to the modding community http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834207462

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
super vis is some super cool boss design