Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Though the school’s AD search won’t officially begin until late spring, Texas has begun to kick the tires on NCAA executive vice president Oliver Luck, Kansas State AD John Currie, Arizona AD Greg Byrne, Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione and Virginia Tech AD Whit Babcock, according to Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman. Additionally, Bohls writes Texas is considering making the new AD a vice president over all of athletics and transitioning women’s AD Chris Plonsky into a marketing position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Eltoasto posted:

I have to imagine that OSU knows the details, even if IU has remained tight lipped about it. Schiano and Wilson as DC and OC is pretty crazy, and will probably last all of one year.

Urban sure has a type, eh?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Lmfao there is literally no way Joe Castiglione is going to Texas. He's been OU's AD for 2 decades.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

We probably should have just gone with Oliver Luck to start with a couple years ago. He's a UT alum so it's a good fit.

E- although Steve Patterson is an alum as well and he was the worst.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 4, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/PhilMackey/status/816706787445506050

Rutgers won't go to Minneapolis until 2020 at the earliest, so this will in all likelihood come true

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Why bother with leaks, Texas is just gonna hire Hunter Yurachek

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Real Name Grover posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilMackey/status/816706787445506050

Rutgers won't go to Minneapolis until 2020 at the earliest, so this will in all likelihood come true

What brought that quote on?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

got any sevens posted:

What brought that quote on?

He's mad that they fired his Large Son

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, are you not following this thread?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's mad that they fired his Large Son

Has anyone made a "Never talk to me or my son ever again" thing with Kill and Claeys yet?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Gophers 247 is saying that Minnesota's offered Fleck the job. AP's saying that they also reached out to Joe Moorhead, but he wasn't interested.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Bryan Harsin is the other name involved there. Minnesota's gonna be richly rewarded for successfully defending a gang rape.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Korranus posted:

Bryan Harsin is the other name involved there. Minnesota's gonna be richly rewarded for successfully defending a gang rape.

Bryan Harsin doesn't seem all that good and is mostly riding Chris Peterson's momentum.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Minnesota would be a good landing spot for Fleck. Plus he'd be going to the Land of Lakes, so 'Row the Boat' still fits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, Minnesota seems like a pretty good job to me. It's a good team in a weak division that only needs a little push to start competing for conference championships every year.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Korranus posted:

Minnesota the football program or Minnesota the university? Because the administration did the right thing. So on the other hand, they're richly rewarded but dumping the oaf that defended a gang rape.

Also, I guess this is the "best" job Moorhead has turned down yet. But the guy knows that Penn State is primed for a potentially huge run next year, and he'll have his pick of upper tier P5 jobs after 2017.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Art Briles has got to be pissed

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Komet posted:

Minnesota the football program or Minnesota the university? Because the administration did the right thing. So on the other hand, they're richly rewarded but dumping the oaf that defended a gang rape.

Also, I guess this is the "best" job Moorhead has turned down yet. But the guy knows that Penn State is primed for a potentially huge run next year, and he'll have his pick of upper tier P5 jobs after 2017.

Watch the Hunting Ground if you think the university really cares about sexual assault.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus :stare:

quote:

Head coach Pat Fitzgerald tells the Chicago Tribune that he “absolutely” expects to have his entire staff return for next season. If everyone comes back, it will mark the seventh straight season Fitz has gone without any staff turnover. Dating back to 2008, Fitz’s Northwestern staff has lost just one assistant coach.

That's kind of amazing, really. It's not like they're running any unique systems or anything, and you'd think in 9 years there'd be more change than just one assistant.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand, staff stability is good for recruiting, and of course, working with guys you know well has its advantages, but at the same time, what's it say about that staff that nobody's been interested enough in any of them to bring them over? Northwestern doesn't pay its assistant coaches exorbitantly, does it?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Me and Jeff Traylor were doing curls and abs next to each other for 30 minutes this morning. Cool dude.

Relevant because he still needs a job somewhere because he's an amazing recruiter.

E- he told me how awesome Charlie was and how they all thought the 4th year would've been fantastic with all the talent.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand, staff stability is good for recruiting, and of course, working with guys you know well has its advantages, but at the same time, what's it say about that staff that nobody's been interested enough in any of them to bring them over? Northwestern doesn't pay its assistant coaches exorbitantly, does it?

Honestly I think it's really just that they've found a near perfect rhythm where they're at. Northwestern's almost never going to compete for B1G championships, but they pretty comfortably get to 6-7 wins, and even if they only get 5 they're basically a lock to have a good enough APR to get a bowl (E: I guess not, given 2013 and 2014). AD Jimmy Phillips seems to accept that they're not going to be a monster program, and Fitz seems totally content where he's at, and he's a hell of an ambassador for the school.

Aside from 2006 they've never had a bad year with Fitz. He's 77-62 there and they're usually good for one upset over a bigger team each year. Probably not a bad job if you can swing it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Northwestern Internet has been calling for the head of OC Mick McCall for years. The offense turned out to be fine this year after years and years of being one of the 10 worst passing offenses in football (even with future NFL Superstar Trevor Siemian) but I don't know if that's because they figured something out or Austin Carr came out of nowhere to be the best receiver in the history of the school. I do get profoundly angry whenever they run the speed option, which is something Thorson seems incapable of handling.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://kstp.com/sports/university-of-minnesota-new-football-coach-pj-fleck-gophers-tracy-claeys/4363187/?cat=7
Minneapolis media is reporting that Fleck to Minnesota is expected to happen soon, with pay in the range of $21M for 6 years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

$21 million to get destroyed by OSU/Michigan during Wisconsin's off years.

Goddamn did Fleck fall far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

I mean, he's coming from a MAC school

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean, he's coming from a MAC school

Sure but he was in the conversation for a lot bigger jobs than minnesota

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

That might be why they are giving him $3.5 million a year if the $21/6 rumor is correct.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Rowing the boat to the state of 10,000 lakes and 1,000 fish

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

I feel like Oregon was the only one that was significantly better that seriously considered him. And it's understandable why teams that think they can contend for national titles are hesitant to take an insane thirty-something whose strengths are mostly recruiting and motivating overlooked guys

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah to be sure I'm not defending Fleck here, I think he's an idiot and was probably a terrible interview at any other program that looked at him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Rowing the boat to the state of 10,000 lakes and 1,000 fish

Lamprey's are fish though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Was he really though? He couldn't even get an interview for most of the big jobs. The only other one he was a serious candidate for was Purdue and Minnesota is a better job than that.

He's making a lot of money and it's a big step up from the MAC. There are only so many P5 jobs to go around

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Was he really though? He couldn't even get an interview for most of the big jobs. The only other one he was a serious candidate for was Purdue and Minnesota is a better job than that.

He's making a lot of money and it's a big step up from the MAC. There are only so many P5 jobs to go around

For all i know it was just bullshit from his agent or various rumors, but his name seemed to be connected to a bunch of places in the early going. maybe it was just me V:shobon:V

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

He's a good fit for that program. Minnesota has more advantages than most of the other teams in the Big Ten West--there's no reason they can't average 8 wins a year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The advantage in the B1G west is that you have 2 all-but-guaranteed conference wins every year in Purdue and Illinois.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

For all i know it was just bullshit from his agent or various rumors, but his name seemed to be connected to a bunch of places in the early going. maybe it was just me V:shobon:V

Fans and national sportswriters mentioned him as a possible candidate because he was a midmajor coach having a great season but that's not the same as actually being one.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DJExile posted:

Charlie Strong had to win at Louisville to get Texas. Willie Taggart had to win at USF to get Oregon. Jeff Brohm the same at Western Kentucky to land the Purdue job. Parlaying success at poo poo-tier Western Michigan into a $21 million-job at Minnesota is a pretty good leap.

e- Maybe he fell far from where some thought he'd land, but it's still a big opportunity.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

minnesota to poach the Rutgers OC

I wouldn't mind this, but actually he said gently caress Minnesota they're dead to him.

Rutgers continues its quest to hire any coach with Iowa ties in bringing in Lester Erb, who coached all of those Iowa RBs who were pretty solid and then exploded.

BTW I will die on this hill, Fleck is a very risky hire. There's a decent chance all of his success has been due to outrecruiting the rest of the MAC. His OC is the worst of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pretty much the only thing I look for in a Texas AD anymore is a willingness (preferably an intent) to schedule A&M again in the near future.

I hope they move Plonsky though. Texas doesn't need two ADs, and nobody has EVER liked Plonsky.

• Locked thread