Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

plainswalker75 posted:

So, Gran Torino?

Edit: Actually, I would totally watch that.

Gran Torino 2: Gran Turismo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.
He then somehow becomes president.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

He then somehow becomes president.

I said his family abandons him, not that he tries to gently caress them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Princess Mononoke is showing as a Fathom Event today and on the 9th in the USA. Get your tickets!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, or if it's an exclusive thing to my state or what. But whole lot of anime hitting the theaters over here. We have Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece and now Sailor Moon inexplicably showing up on the big screens.

Pick posted:

Princess Mononoke is showing as a Fathom Event today and on the 9th in the USA. Get your tickets!

We actually had a whole Miyazaki thing last year where they showed subbed and dubbed versions of most, if not everything, he and studio ghibli had produced so far. It was neat and I wish I could have seen all of it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pick posted:

Just checked and the closet theatre to me doing it is three hours away and in another state. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The showing was the first time I noticed some of Eboshi's guards are also women (not those who work in the ironworks, the people in blue bodysuits). As far as female representation goes, it's probably one of the strongest films I know, along with When Marnie Was There, which I adored even if not everyone else did.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
gonna see it on monday, thanks for the heads up :toot:

Nuebot posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, or if it's an exclusive thing to my state or what. But whole lot of anime hitting the theaters over here. We have Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece and now Sailor Moon inexplicably showing up on the big screens.

bwuh

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched Only Yesterday with my mother and sister around Christmas. It was everyone's first time seeing it and we all really enjoyed it and related to it. It kinda struck me how candidly and genuinely it captured moments in a girl's childhood and the ruminations and conversations a woman has on it. I know it's originally based on a manga, but the sincerity of the emotion remained intact enough to still resonate strongly with three women from three different age groups. I think that speaks favorably for Takahata, because I've seen how a lot of our adaptations of female characters go just... so loving awry.
So I started thinking about how well these two old Japanese dudes from Ghibli write and portray women, and how they treat them like characters before just female. It really makes me happy, but also a little sad as it feels like such a rarity that I'm marveling over it when it's actually done. I just really wish this rubbed off on Western film in general.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm 16 episodes into Trollhunters on Netflix and yeah, it's brilliant. The show really hit its stride about 6 or 7 episodes in and got me hooked. ARGHHHH is my favorite. He's so :3: and Kelsey Grammer as Blinky is awesome, such a great character. All the characters are pretty solid really; voice acting is top notch from everyone involved.

I was a little apprehensive about this Guillermo del Toro endeavor after finding out it wasn't a movie. The initial clips I saw also didn't really wow me after getting super hyped from the first teaser image — actually thought the animation and art direction looked wholly mediocre in the previews — but I've been pleasantly surprised. Funnily enough, the design and aesthetic of the show is what mostly got me to stick it through; it reminds me a lot Torchlight/Torchlight 2 and Bastion (two really great indie games). I'm gonna binge the rest of the episodes this weekend, err maybe tonight, haha. I definitely recommend the series if you need a fantasy adventure animation kick with great characters and art direction. Also a really great to watch for family nights and whatnot :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I couldn't get past episode one of Trollhunters. The characters were so badly crafted that I was starting to think the lead was just the imaginary idealized self of the fat comic sidekick.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 6, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I couldn't get past episode one of Trollhunters. The characters were so badly crafted that I wad starting to think the lead was just the imaginary idealized self of the fat comic sidekick.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after watching the first episode. But I liked the look and design of the trolls enough to stick with it. It wasn't until about episode 7 that I really got into it. The characters and narrative do take several episodes to find their footing, but once they do, as a whole the series has been solid. At least for me, 16 episodes in.

[edit] Without getting too spoilery, all the troll lore and world building stuff is pretty fun. Once the show establishes the characters enough and gets you into the bulk of the first half of the narrative involving Bular and his plan, the story goes into cruise control to let awesome stuff happen. The fight sequences in particular are really well done and choreographed imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 6, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Anonymous Robot posted this in the Gen Chat thread, and I figured those of you who hadn't seen it yet would get a kick out of it as well: On Your Mark, a music video made by Studio Ghibli in 1995.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Trollhunters. The characters just felt so rote. The gym teacher who picks on the fat kid, the bully who stuffs nerds in lockers, everything just felt so paint-by-numbers. Does it do anything interesting to subvert those boring old tropes, or is it just more of the same all the way through? I might give it another chance if I knew it was going anywhere interesting.

I think Billy da Bull is a great visual filmmaker, but I've always found his writing, especially dialogue, to be kind of flat and stilted. Maybe that's only in his English stuff, 'cause of the language barrier?

Also, hearing Anton Yelchin's voice makes me sad. :(

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Trollhunters. The characters just felt so rote. The gym teacher who picks on the fat kid, the bully who stuffs nerds in lockers, everything just felt so paint-by-numbers. Does it do anything interesting to subvert those boring old tropes, or is it just more of the same all the way through? I might give it another chance if I knew it was going anywhere interesting.

I think Billy da Bull is a great visual filmmaker, but I've always found his writing, especially dialogue, to be kind of flat and stilted. Maybe that's only in his English stuff, 'cause of the language barrier?

The human characters, unfortunately, don't really subvert those tropes much. That was my biggest issue with the show really, but I was still able to watch and enjoy it. The Troll characters are all great though, and the world building and fight choreography is amazingly fun.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I hope the reveal is that Lightning McQueen has grown into an old meaningless racist and he realizes at the end when his family have all abandoned them because he keeps saying horrible things about foreign cars.

But Lightning has always been very racist...

...:v:

...:suicide:

I'll see myself out.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Lightning Returns: Cars III

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Samuel Clemens posted:

Anonymous Robot posted this in the Gen Chat thread, and I figured those of you who hadn't seen it yet would get a kick out of it as well: On Your Mark, a music video made by Studio Ghibli in 1995.

My second biggest regret about not being able to see princess mononoke in theaters was missing this

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Last Temptation of Lightning McQueen

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Boxman posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a first-look at Cars 3, and if the thesis of Cars was "people ignore what made Route 66 great," the thesis of Cars 3 might be "Millennials are brats."

The Millennial thing seems to be some editorializing from EW, but you have to think Pixar signed off on it. If this isn't about those gosh darned millennials and their sense of entitlement it feels like this movie's villain is just Lightning from the first movie. Either way this doesn't seem great?

What they're doing with McQueen sounds quite similar to Doc Hudson's backstory from the first movie - when McQueen stumbled across his Piston Cup trophies, Hudson told his story of having a thriving career in racing, suffering a nasty crash, then being brushed aside as an outdated has-been and forgotten.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

The core trio of heroes (Claire, Toby, and Jim) haven't really moved past their archetypal character tropes 18 episodes in. But I never really expected them to. Although, Claire doesn't seem to be too much of a "Damsel-in-Distress" so far. She becomes a troll lore nerd in the back half of the season, and is an essential component to the main thrust of the season's latter narrative. Jim is played relatively straight, but I like the relationship between Jim and his mom and how that's been playing out. The voice acting in particular helped build that mother/son relationship up and their emotions are palpable when things aren't going the way should be between the two.

Steve the bully and the gym teacher are really just scenery. You can't expect those kind of characters — mainly present for comedic beats — to subvert their existence much. There are some funny moments with those two characters though, especially with the gym teacher. Toby, the plucky comedic sidekick, plays his role well but doesn't stray too far from it, but I like how the show has solidified Toby as the quintessential wingman. He's always egging Jim on to not be a bitch and just talk to Claire; it's like a John Hughes film with the awkward romance between Claire and Jim, heh, and Toby is the best friend who gives the protagonist courage. But Like Magnus Condomus said, the real heart of the characters lies with the trolls imo. Blinky in particular is great. Both ARGHHH and Draal are really fun (I want little figurines of those two so bad), and the villain trolls are played really well.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 6, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Steve the bully and the gym teacher are really just scenery. You can't expect those kind of characters — mainly present for comedic beats — to subvert their existence much.

I dunno, I've been watching Gravity Falls and Steven Universe lately, so that's pretty much exactly what I have come to expect.

The bar's been set. Nothin' I can do about that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

I dunno, I've been watching Gravity Falls and Steven Universe lately, so that's pretty much exactly what I have come to expect.

The bar's been set. Nothin' I can do about that.

I haven't watched an episode of either of those so I can't compare those show's tertiary characters to Trollhunter's tertiary characters. I will say that much like the CG animated Clone Wars series, Trollhunters took a handful of episodes for me to start caring and invest in the characters and story. If you're willing to stick it out by episode 6, the rest of the show is a pretty fun ride. Hoping the finale is good. Will do a trip report on that maybe tomorrow night, or later today.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gravity Falls is really drat good.

Stephen Universe annoyed me when I tried to watch it (quite some time ago) but I watched it right on the heels of Adventure Time and expected something similar, which it really isn't, so I may not have given it the chance it deserved.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Stephen Universe annoyed me when I tried to watch it (quite some time ago) but I watched it right on the heels of Adventure Time and expected something similar, which it really isn't, so I may not have given it the chance it deserved.

Steven Universe annoyed me at first, too. Steven's too much of a naive half-wit who constantly fucks up, and none of the other characters ever seem remotely inclined to call him on any of his dumb poo poo. They coddle him and pat him on the head for loving up constantly.

Turns out, that's not unintentional and is actually referred back to later. Most of what I found annoying turned out to be set-up for character development later on, come to think of it.

The only downside I can think of is that Steven Universe really, really wears its metaphors on its sleeve, and plays really heavily towards the shipping/fanfiction demographic.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've never seen Steven Universe but Steven Universe fans have left me willing to chew off a limb to escape ever having to

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I've never seen Steven Universe but Steven Universe fans have left me willing to chew off a limb to escape ever having to

If I paid attention to fans, I'd never watch anything.

Ever.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

*insert generic "the show's not poo poo only the bad eggs in the fandom are" response #298723*

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Gravity Falls is really drat good.

How's adventure time these days? I stopped watching back in 2013 when it was getting up its own rear end more than venture bros and dethklok.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

got any sevens posted:

How's adventure time these days? I stopped watching back in 2013 when it was getting up its own rear end more than venture bros and dethklok.

I loved the "up its own rear end" stuff so if that's what you thought my opinion wouldn't be worth much to you anyways.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

best way to experience Steven Universe is to never ever go on tumblr, it takes about 3-5 episodes for it to start hitting it's stride.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

got any sevens posted:

Many people consider season 7 a return to form, and only "goes up it's own rear end" (though like Tux I also don't mind when that happens) for a few non consecutive episodes. Season 8 looks like it might be even better, and given that season 9 is confirmed to be the final one, the crew are probably going to make sure it goes out with a bang.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's an episode of Adventure Time where two bit characters inexplicably re-enact the entirety of the alleyway fight scene from They Live and it's hard to express how happy this makes me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I would compare su to avatar the last airbender more than adventure time Imo

I don't think there's anything on tv that gets as weird and surreal as adventure time, though I haven't been paying attention to what is on adult swim these days

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's an episode of Adventure Time where two bit characters inexplicably re-enact the entirety of the alleyway fight scene from They Live and it's hard to express how happy this makes me.

It should also be mentioned that these characters are actually voiced by Keith David and the late Rowdy Rodney Piper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrakePegasus posted:

It should also be mentioned that these characters are actually voiced by Keith David and the late Rowdy Rodney Piper.

I wonder how often they've been asked to do that considering they did the exact same thing in Saint's Row.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DrakePegasus posted:

Oh man what ep was that?!

My fav eps were prob in season 2/3, out of the 5 seasons I saw. Ice ninjas, cute king, etc were awesome.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dropped off on Adventure time extremely early on (like the first season?) and I still want to see this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finished Trollhunters. Overall, it's a fun and colorful fantasy romp. Watch it with your kids if you have any! They'll love Argh and the troll world for sure. The last couple episodes were wholly satisfying, and the build up to the big baddie for season 2 (please greenlight it Netflix!) was pretty great.

Just came across this Trollhunters/Stranger Things trailer mashup which I thought was a fan edit, but turns out Netflix officially put it together lmao. Amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZorSuzgOs

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So i finally got around and watched toy story 2 after close to 20 years, i seen the 3rd one before and the 1st one was big childhood event, i think it came out during my phase in life where i hated american cartoons and thought anime was cool, mature and made me feel like a grown up.

it was good, i mean it toy story 3 spoiled it knowing that Andy does grow up, but at least i know where jessie, bulleye and the 3 pizza planet aliens come from and kind of feel worse for jessie knowing she is going though the kid growing up for a 2nd time. i kind of want to watch toy story 3 again seeing if it get's better, even though i did like it.